• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Checking and restoring file system" - Something to worry about? (PS3)

My brother is at home, and he called to tell me that the system kept freezing as he was playing Deus Ex and that he froze several times, and upon resetting it, the above message came up, along with something about a restart and an update. Unfortunately since I'm at work, I can't go and see for myself what's wrong with the thing for a few hours. Should I be worried? How bad is this?

Storm360

I wouldn't worry about the message, it happened on my dad's console a while ago and been fine since.

The freezing on the otherhand, I may worry, not sure how Deus Ex is on console though, could just be a unstable game

I wouldn't worry about the message, it happened on my dad's console a while ago and been fine since.

The freezing on the otherhand, I may worry, not sure how Deus Ex is on console though, could just be a unstable game

It's the first time I've come across it. Another weird thing: Yesterday, when turning the same game on, it froze. Holding down the power button did not shut the system off, so unfortunately I had to pull the plug out. When I plugged it back in, the system was working fine and the game was playing fine. I dunno if my brother pulled the plug or not when trying to play the game today.

Storm360

It's the first time I've come across it. Another weird thing: Yesterday, when turning the same game on, it froze. Holding down the power button did not shut the system off, so unfortunately I had to pull the plug out. When I plugged it back in, the system was working fine and the game was playing fine. I dunno if my brother pulled the plug or not when trying to play the game today.

Odd, maybe try another game, if it froze when the game came on, it could be the game itself

The time my dad's system got the message was after a failed MGS HD update iirc

Odd, maybe try another game, if it froze when the game came on, it could be the game itself

The time my dad's system got the message was after a failed MGS HD update iirc

I called him just now, he said that it did the system restore, restarted. He tried DXHR again, it still didn't work, so he pulled the plug again and restarted it. Now he's playing Sleeping Dogs and says it's working fine. I told him to try another game and see if that works as well.

So is DXHR at fault? It's never happened before, but now two days in a row it's freezing and crashing the thing.

FranXico

Could be overheating. Some games are more likely to cause this than others. In particular, TLoU is an infamous phat killer.

I would check if the air ducts are not covered with dust or anything.

Could be overheating. Some games are more likely to cause this than others. In particular, TLoU is an infamous phat killer.

I would check if the air ducts are not covered with dust or anything.

Well, it's a Slim (not the new Slims, the matte Slim). My Phat died years ago :(

I've played The Last of Us and GTAV on this system, no problem. No problem with DXHR till last night either.

Maybe I should vacuum it or something.

ace3skoot

worry about how long it take :( no it happens from time to time, usually after a hard freeze or a power cut, i usually opt out as it takes for fucking ever.

Kru

I had that happen to me, had to completely format my harddrive. when it stopped restoring, lost all my games, saves, pictures, videos and messages. My user accounts were still there though even though all the data was gone.

And there seems to be no way to counter that at all, I had to redownload almost 500gb worth of games (ps plus and a ton of others i bought trying to go all digital). So you are just gonna have to restore and hope for the best it isn't restoring from a corrupted file.

EDIT: I actually had a different message but it's very similar, Did yours mention 2 or 3 hours? if so then it's fine you can just press circle. If you didnt get the time, then its the really ominous one.

Storm360

I called him just now, he said that it did the system restore, restarted. He tried DXHR again, it still didn't work, so he pulled the plug again and restarted it. Now he's playing Sleeping Dogs and says it's working fine. I told him to try another game and see if that works as well.

So is DXHR at fault? It's never happened before, but now two days in a row it's freezing and crashing the thing.

Sounds like it could be the game, I had a quick google search, and it says to sign out of PSN until you are at the main menu of the game

I've gotten that message a handful of times, usually after turning the system back on after the house's power had suddenly gone out while playing. Everything has been alright after the scans on my system, so I don't think it's worth feeling too worried about. I guess it just depends on if some vital system/software component was really shaken up by the crash or something.

It says that to me every time a game or the web browser crashes and I just hit cancel. No need to worry.

Same here. I usually let it run its course though; it only takes like a minute or two.
It first started happening a year or so ago, the PS3 froze on the browser then went to a blue (I think) screen saying it's corrupted. I let it do its thing, it came back on, and apart from having to reconnect my PSN account, set the video to HD again, and having an * next to my user, it was fine. Ever since then it's shown the file system message when I have to switch the console off after it freezes.

No need to worry. What that message means is that the system is checking for corrupted data, which it will automatically delete if it finds any.

On the other hand, backup your stuff anyway because system failure happens without warning sometimes.

Top Bottom