• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheerful thread of the day. Nothing exist after death?

SantaC

This is something I often ponder about. Why would some kind of afterlife exist? I mean, nothing exist before you are born. So why after death.

The only theory I see as possible is that we are born into a new person but dont have a single memory left from a previous life. But that is stretching it.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Perfect thread for the season of death.

Your theory sounds good. Reincarnational where memories, personality, and all the things the body thinks of as itself is disintegrated with it at death.
Yet there is something that remains.

It might not be an entity like a soul that seeks another body. It could be an emergent pattern that exists in a universal field of life's consciousness from which physical life rises in it's forms and finds expression and coherence.

Happy Halloween.

Fbh

Yeah I don't think there is anything and unless given believable proof of that not being the case, which I think we'll never have, I don't think my view will change. Just seeing how a person can change because of degenerative diseases is strong evidence of how everything we are as a person is in our brain....which will die alongside your body.

But why worry about it? It's not like you'll be aware. It's as you said, there was nothing before you were born either.

Last edited:
you respawn with a clean memory

you see these zoomers running around today?

they have no idea they died in the past and are simply back again with a fresh memory

their personalities are still intact

it'll happen to you

Fbh

I got health problems. Not life threatening as of now, but still.
Sorry to hear that.

But while I realize it's sometimes impossible to not care or not think about it, ultimately I do think worrying too much about it is pointless. This whole thing used to give me anxiety but in recent years I've just adopted the view that we don't really know what comes after, and if there is indeed nothing then ultimately I won't care because I won't exist anymore, it will be the same as it was for the millions of years before I was born.

Last edited:

Airola

This is something I often ponder about. Why would some kind of afterlife exist? I mean, nothing exist before you are born. So why after death.

The only theory I see as possible is that we are born into a new person but dont have a single memory left from a previous life. But that is stretching it.

What's the last dream you had?
How many dreams have you seen in your life?
Can you remember even 1% of them? Or 0,1%?
Have you ever seen a dream you vividly remember when you wake up, but as soon as you move even a bit the whole memory of it fades away, but you still remember you saw some dream?
Have you experienced the previous thing but you don't remember that exact night/morning but you just have the idea that you had that experience?
How many of those experiences have you forgotten?
Have you ever suddenly remembered a dream that you completely forgot?
Have you ever forgotten that dream you forgot but remembered just for a moment?

Maybe whatever we feel/felt beyond this reality is like the dream you forgot.

And most importantly:

What lies in the great beyond is like what this kid says. It's right there, clear in his head, but it just doesn't come out. And when it finally comes out, it's still incomprehensible mess on the outside but just as you can see in that kid's face, he himself deep down knows what he meant and smiles because he has blurted out at least in some form what is deep down clear in his head.

I believe your life is on an infinite number of timelines, and you simply transition to your next timeline whether your life ends earlier from bad decisions or you make the right choices to live a long and happy life.

I believe there are timelines where we are great people and also the worst people on earth. The life you are living now is either in between good and bad, or you took a different turn and took on a job that you didn't expect, but in another timeline, you got your dream job.

Airola

Sorry to hear that.

But while I realize it's sometimes impossible to not care or not think about it, ultimately I do think worrying too much about it is pointless. This whole thing used to give me anxiety but in recent years I've just adopted the view that we don't really know what comes after, and if there is indeed nothing then ultimately I won't care because I won't exist anymore, it will be the same as it was for the millions of years before I was born.

What if what was for millions of years was like a dream that you forgot just like you forgot countless of dreams in your physical life, and after death you go back to that state of being? What if that dream-like state is a neverending nightmare?

Or, not to make anyone lose their sleep, but as it's closing in towards Halloween:
Just like people who are in danger of dying seem to perceive time slower than before, just like a person who has just crashed in an accident feels those one or two seconds feel a lot longer, and just like people who say they see their lived life like a film in a near-death situation, maybe our perception of time gets slower and slower and slower the closer we get in the moment of death. And finally at the moment of death, the perception of time has gone so slow it feels like an eternity to us. And in that nanosecond of where death happens, our experience will be eternally long and we will stay with whatever has bugged or pleased us in our minds forever and ever. And just as often in dreams emotions feel stronger than while being awake, the emotional state of that nanosecond of eternity might be heavenly bliss or hellish torture.

On a final note, I once visited my godmother in a nursing home. She is super weak and can't really even talk much at all and it takes long time for her to reply when someone asks questions. Her memory is almost completely gone. She remembers things from her childhood and bits and pieces from her later life here and there. She has lost her memory of her life just as she most certainly has lost memories of her dreams many times before. I once asked her what she's thinking. She stayed quiet for a while looking past me and then said "I'm looking at those men there" and looked at an empty part of her room. Obviously the first thing to think is that it's a hallucination old people close to their death see, but who knows, maybe there's something more to it. Maybe in that corner of that room, her eyes and her mind, close to her death, were able to take a peek into a reality of not our own. Maybe there were "men" in that room, or ideas of men. Living ideas of men seen as if they were physical men. Observing, waiting, maybe helping and caring? She has lost her memories, but she has gained hallucinations or vision visitors or whatever you want to call them. They are there with here, and she might not even know who they are supposed to be if they should be just memories of past persons in her life. She experiences her reality way differently than most people do in the prime of their life, even though she can't even speak and remember much at all. What are these hallucinations/visions, and most importantly, why they are... There's no evolutionary advantage in having hallucinations when life is nearly over... Why these old people see things in empty spaces and that are out of their current memory? Just a hallucination, or could a hallucination be something else than "just" a hallucination...?

Airola

I believe your life is on an infinite number of timelines, and you simply transition to your next timeline whether your life ends earlier from bad decisions or you make the right choices to live a long and happy life.

I believe there are timelines where we are great people and also the worst people on earth. The life you are living now is either in between good and bad, or you took a different turn and took on a job that you didn't expect, but in another timeline, you got your dream job.

Do every persons have their own personal timelines? Do insects have their timelines?
Could there be a close to infinite set of timelines where the only differences between those and this reality I now experience are the paths a fly can take in its lifecycle? Do I have your set of infinite timelines too, in the sense that all the decisions you make don't affect me so I have zillion timelines where I do everything exactly the same but the only differences are what paths your life goes in and how they affect people in your city and country? And do you have zillion timelines exactly the same for you but where I make zillion different choices?

That types of questions are the reason I don't buy the idea of infinite universes and timelines, but I do accept the idea of the ideas of them existing, and based on what happens in our reality the ideas from that other reality manifest into our reality, but there is only one manifestation. The ideas that can't manifest anymore will be gone from the pool of possible realities. They might still be out there as ideas, but they are gone from what can become to physical existence.

Do every persons have their own personal timelines? Do insects have their timelines?
Could there be a close to infinite set of timelines where the only differences between those and this reality I now experience are the paths a fly can take in its lifecycle? Do I have your set of infinite timelines too, in the sense that all the decisions you make don't affect me so I have zillion timelines where I do everything exactly the same but the only differences are what paths your life goes in and how they affect people in your city and country? And do you have zillion timelines exactly the same for you but where I make zillion different choices?

That types of questions are the reason I don't buy the idea of infinite universes and timelines, but I do accept the idea of the ideas of them existing, and based on what happens in our reality the ideas from that other reality manifest into our reality, but there is only one manifestation. The ideas that can't manifest anymore will be gone from the pool of possible realities. They might still be out there as ideas, but they are gone from what can become to physical existence.

I think that we could perhaps live another life entirely given the possibility of the Chaos Theory, but I couldn't say whether you would still be your physical self for some of those timelines, but your "soul" so to speak will always be you.

Perhaps your mother decided to not date and have sex with your father and instead either had sex with his brother, or his neighbour, or perhaps even a one night stand by a guy a mile away. You would still be you, but your appearance, physical health, mental health and all that would be tied to that timeline until you die and transition to another timeline. This can go as far back as a singular Cell where you could be a Fish, or a Dinosaur, or even a Pet in a thousand years time.

Personally, I would rather be able to start again and not make the same mistakes and persue another way of life but with this theory, it is not in my hands to decide but for Entropy.

God Enel

Why should everything be over when you die?
Maybe birth is the start of a journey that goes on even after you die and the end happens at another stage even after you die here in our world.
I mean if you would know what would happen after death and suppose it would be better than your life here, would you kill yourself? Or what about the opposite case? Wouldn’t your life become more miserable when you know you’re going to be tortured or whatever? Would you live your life “better” whatever “better” means? If so why don’t you do it know?

The big unknown is the thing that keeps people going.

shit I don’t know if all of this shit makes any sense. And I personally believe that after we die that there will be nothing like you said - before birth. Though I hope there Is more to come

Panda1

Banned

bruh when u dead you dead! there is nothing else hence why you should value life now.

Dazrael

If there was oblivion before you were born (can you remember the year before your birth?) then it stands to reason there will be oblivion afterwards.

But what if perhaps you can equate consciousness to energy then according to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics that energy can’t be created or destroyed; only transferred. That makes you wonder where it came from and where does it go. I guess you could class consciousness as an isolated system of a sort. The concept of an afterlife is hypothetical after all.

That’s a cheery thought.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
When your brain dies you die. That is all.
Nothing exists after death except my eternal love for AOC
Shit brand
51w1g9KPdLL._SX466_.jpg

Scotty W

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes Calamity of so long life:
For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,
The Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely,
The pangs of dispised Love, the Law’s delay,
The insolence of Office, and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his Quietus make
With a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear, [F: these Fardels]
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of.
Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment, [F: pith]
With this regard their Currents turn awry, [F: away]
And lose the name of Action. Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia? Nymph, in thy Orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

Unless any evidence can be provided for the existence of a "self" in the first place that is anything more than a thought, "I" see no reason to be troubled by "death". What dies? Just an idea.

Separation/Identity is a feature bound to thought.

SantaC

Consciousness is nothing more then synapses in your brain firing. If you die it's over. Emptiness.
It's depressing so people like to tell themselves lies about an afterlife or reincarnation. It's fine.
I guess this makes sense. Without a brain it is not possible to go on. It is like your computer harddrive dying. The storage is gone.

Ghosts doesnt exist.

Last edited:

Breakage

These days I spend my time thinking about how many things had to “line up” and fall into place for me to discover a new book, play a video game, meet an interesting person, etc.
I find looking at my life in this way (and wondering about what life would have been like had things taken a different path) far more fascinating than thinking about what happens after death.

Why should everything be over when you die?
Maybe birth is the start of a journey that goes on even after you die and the end happens at another stage even after you die here in our world.
I mean if you would know what would happen after death and suppose it would be better than your life here, would you kill yourself? Or what about the opposite case? Wouldn’t your life become more miserable when you know you’re going to be tortured or whatever? Would you live your life “better” whatever “better” means? If so why don’t you do it know?

The big unknown is the thing that keeps people going.

shit I don’t know if all of this shit makes any sense. And I personally believe that after we die that there will be nothing like you said - before birth. Though I hope there Is more to come

This is how I view this as well, it makes perfect sense in my head at least lol. Like that Bad Religion song, the masses of humanity have always had to suffer. The only thing keeping us here is the fear of dying, I think there's probably a reason.

I remember when I first saw this video I felt so unbelievably stupid. It's like this is a foreign language that somehow I understand. And that's because we get glimpses of what it's all about. We don't know, but it's naive to think it isn't about anything.

Whitesnake

Banned
Your brain is you. Everything that you are.

When there is nothing left the power the brain, you die. The soup of chemicals and electricity that once made up who you are don’t exist anymore.

Do you ask what happens to a program after a hard drive is destroyed? Do you ask what happens to a house after it is demolished?

What there is after death is the same thing there was before your life. Nothing. You won’t exist anymore.

No dreams, no senses, no thoughts, not a even a black void. Just nothingness.

Just thinking about it stresses me the fuck out and I don’t like it.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
We can’t know for sure. It’s best to focus on the here and now regardless of what happens after, whether it’s nothing or something, or some kind of nothing that our minds can’t comprehend.

yarp, don't give any shits about dying or death

it's gonna happen when it happens, carry the torch until the last ember goes cold

I'd rather believe in an afterlife than not believing in one.

If there is an afterlife, one can hope to get rewarded somehow for not denying it.

If there isn't an afterlife, then it was better to be safe than sorry.

The question of whether there is an afterlife is one that cannot be answered from just "thinking" based on your experiences.

I think of the afterlife kind of like dreaming. Some dreams are so vivid and real that materialistic explanations cannot suffice to explain the wonders and mysteries of dreams.

For me, dreams are a sneak peek to what lies ahead after death. It is a preview of what an afterlife can feel like because like it or not, dreams can be a very real spiritual experience that is UNIVERSAL for everyone regardless of your beliefs.

SantaC

No dreams, no senses, no thoughts, not a even a black void. Just nothingness.

Just thinking about it stresses me the fuck out and I don’t like it.
No more video games. Forget about seeing that new Zelda game. Hype doesnt exist in death.

poor iwata

Last edited:

MisterHero

your life energy will be recycled but you're gonna have to live a billion lifetimes as bacteria, insects or animals before you return to intelligent life. when that happens, everyone will be be hyper-evolved centipedes and there won't be internet because it will be their dark age.

I find the idea of an afterlife pretty exhausting to be honest. It's like an endless day, or an immortal life. At some point you're just going to get tired of it going on. But you can't stop it or escape it. You're doomed to "live" forever. Death, to me is like endless sleep, the ultimate rest, which you deserve after having lived your life. I like to think you end up in the same "place" as everyone and everything else that's died over the years. Together, you'll finally be able to rest peacefully.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Heaven, reincarnation, the afterlife etc. are all bullshit. We make this shit up to ease the pain of knowing that we are going to die one day.

Our brain stores everything. Once the brain ceases to function, that's it, an eternity of nothingness.

Top Bottom