• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Chelsea Manning Changed the Course of History. Now She’s Focusing on Herself."

mlclmtckr

Banned
Vogue magazine's profile of Chelsea Manning went up today!

When it comes to information freedom, those values remain controversial. Many lawmakers bridled at her abbreviated sentence; at the time of the commutation, Paul Ryan said, “Chelsea Manning’s treachery put American lives at risk and exposed some of our nation’s most sensitive secrets.” Others argue that her motives, like a public-interest journalist’s, were honorable—or that the actual damage of the leaks was small. Beyond some vocal LGBTQ advocacy (she was a star of the summer’s Pride March in New York, waving from a drop-top Nissan alongside Gavin Grimm), Manning herself has mostly stayed circumspect on issues of politics. Still, in a Guardian column from January 25, a few days following her commutation, she offered a soft criticism of President Obama’s tactical approach: “The one simple lesson to draw from President Obama’s legacy: Do not start off with a compromise. They won’t meet you in the middle.” President Trump, newly elected, lambasted Manning over Twitter: “Ungrateful TRAITOR Chelsea Manning, who should never have been released from prison, is now calling President Obama a weak leader. Terrible!”

Manning has avoided a rejoinder to the president’s tweet. And to the extent that WikiLeaks of 2017 (which seems to have pursued specific electoral outcomes in France and America and is dogged by the troubled reputation of its leader, Julian Assange) has a different public reputation than the 2010 organization (which claimed more categorical anti-secrecy principles), she has avoided opinions there, too. “I’ve been in prison for seven years! I’ve been completely disconnected from all of that,” she tells me. Her plan is to live in New York until late summer, then move to suburban Maryland, not far from where she was before.

“I have these values that I can connect with: responsibility, compassion,” she goes on. “Those are really foundational for me. Do and say and be who you are because, no matter what happens, you are loved unconditionally.” It’s the lesson, she says, that she wishes she learned earlier. “Unconditional love,” she says. “It is OK to be who I am.”

It's a really interesting and in depth profile of Manning with a lot of biographical details that I didn't know anything about (like her really, really difficult childhood) but the thing I really like about it is how it captures the same irrepressibly and optimism that I noticed from following her on Twitter.

1i95b5G.png

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'd hate the world if I was her but she's happy as fuck. The world needs more Chelsea Mannings.

Volimar

I agreed with her being found guilty, but never agreed with her sentence. After the cruelty she endured I was more than happy to see her released.

mlclmtckr

Banned
er, no thanks. I agree with what she did and think she suffered needlessly. but that twitter account is frankly insipid. not for me.

I think the fact that she posts these extremely happy and uncynical but also politically radical tweets even though they result in literally thousands of death threats and transphobic insults is actually kind of profound tbh

She posts all this joy even though the worst people on the entire internet are constantly telling her to kill herself... there's something kind of incredible about it.

Goodstyle

I agreed with her being found guilty, but never agreed with her sentence. After the cruelty she endured I was more than happy to see her released.

I think the best outcome happened. She broke the law and had to pay for that, but in the end Obama let her out before she served a ridiculously long sentence.

She's also spot on in her criticism of Obama.

I'm glad that she's happy and truly living her life, but I can never, in good conscience, agree with what she did. And for that I'll always slightly dislike her.

Top Bottom