• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

So the Blue ended up being fine, actually. The train was pretty crowded, but no more than it usually is during the morning rush. I've heard the Metra's a shit show, though.

Lucky for you, I don't think the Blue line is going that close to where the festivities are. My wife, who can't work from home, said that her train was already packed up here at Rockwell.

From Merch Mart to Clark/Lake? Maybe 10, give or take a couple minutes. There are a handful of stops in between them, but they're all super close, so it's like 1-2 minutes stop-to-stop.

That's not bad actually. It takes me about 7-8 minutes to walk so I might try that one of these days I get in a little early.

joelseph

Lucky for you, I don't think the Blue line is going that close to where the festivities are. My wife, who can't work from home, said that her train was already packed up here at Rockwell.

That's not bad actually. It takes me about 7-8 minutes to walk so I might try that one of these days I get in a little early.

Blue takes you right to Grant Park. It's super crowded all the way in. Complete shit show.

MM to Clarke and Lake is a 2 block walk south across the river. Better to walk than ride the loop.

Blue takes you right to Grant Park. It's super crowded all the way in. Complete shit show.

MM to Clarke and Lake is a 2 block walk south across the river. Better to walk than ride the loop.

Oh really? I thought it was mostly going to be up near Wrigley. That sucks then.

As for MM to my work, I'm mostly thinking ahead to when it's super cold and windy. It's not a bad walk but if I can stay in a heated car for a few more minutes it might be worth it.

Viewt

So I work in River North, and I can't tell you how many suburbians/out-of-staters I've seen today who don't know how to get around in a city. Straight up wandering into traffic, trying to take big group pictures on the Clark St Bridge (!!!!), and soooo many Divvy bikes on the sidewalk.

I'm not looking forward to getting out of here at 5 today when they're all drunk, too haha.

SOME-MIST

yeah... from logan square, I take the metra in from healy, and when it pulled up and the doors opened, I almost turned around and walked home/worked from home. shoved on instead, and was surprised as how many people were getting off the train and standing outside union station trying to figure out where to go.

I made the wrong decision

Live in south loop, work out of west suburbs. I'm finishing up early but hope I can avoid the craziness.

I'm not very optimistic though

Viewt

I just can't believe there are actually 5,000,000 people in and around Grant Park. That's twice our urban population! I can't even imagine how insane it must be just to get from place to place there.

joelseph

I just can't believe there are actually 5,000,000 people in and around Grant Park. That's twice our urban population! I can't even imagine how insane it must be just to get from place to place there.

The amount of trash being left behind is crazy.

I don't want to say too much about the political angle on things but I first arrived in Chicago in 2008. I was working a lot then; 30 hour shifts and so forth, and I remember coming off of a particularly bad night of call. I was trying to get sleep, but that election night, the city was just alive and the energy in the air was palpable. I remember going to Grant Park with only 2 hours of sleep coming off of that shift, and just being surrounded by the electric diversity of the city of Chicago come alive.

Last night was the complete opposite. It felt like the other shoe dropped, and that energy was just purged dry. Walking late last night from Streeterville to South Loop, the normally ebullient city was Zombieland. So many people just had a blank stare in their eyes, as I would pass by bars and so forth. This was especially jarring since just a week ago, that spirit was so alive.

Viewt

Agreed 1000%. Walking through the Loop today to get to work, the despair and depression in the air was palpable.

Can you guys recommend a good LGBT volunteer program in the city? Pence and the rest of the GOP is coming hard for our GSM friends and family, and my heart is breaking. I feel like the only way I'll be able to keep from crying is to start directing that energy towards something positive.

Viewt

I'm personally a fan of Center on Halsted :) I know they could always use volunteers for stuff going on! http://www.centeronhalsted.org/volunteer.html

I also like ArtReach, which is an art center that's a part of Lillstreet that works to bring art and artistry to underserved communities in the city! https://actionnetwork.org/forms/volunteer-4

I'm sure there's more but those are the two I can think of off the top of my head!

Thanks, Sai - I really appreciate it, man. I'm gonna look into these two when I get home and get started as soon as they'll let me.

Trains are pretty empty today. I wonder if a lot of people skipped work.

Gotta make time to build that bunker.

Addendum: So last night I attended Epica's concert and avoiding coverage because it's just too horrifying. At some point, Simone took a short break, when she came back she seemed pretty flustered. Shortly after that, the Hispanic security guard in front of me started crying. That's when I knew I had entered the darkest timeline. Stay safe everyone.

Viewt

So my girlfriend and I are both signed up at Center on Halstead! We'll be going to the volunteer orientation and training on Saturday, December 10th, if any of you are also interested. :)

So my girlfriend and I are both signed up at Center on Halstead! We'll be going to the volunteer orientation and training on Saturday, December 10th, if any of you are also interested. :)

This sounds fantastic thanks for the heads up. ill sign up this weekend.

Any of you guys into Industrial? I just found out Pigface is having an anniversary show at the end of the month. I definitely have no regrets about moving here now.

Viewt

So by most accounts we'll be seeing the first snow of the season this weekend (late Friday and into Saturday). It probably won't accumulate, though.

BTW, not sure if many of you are familiar with Flying Fox, but they're a local animal conservation group associated with the Lincoln Park Zoo. They offer half-hour and one-hour programs where they'll actually bring animals to your house for you to learn about and interact with. I booked them for my girlfriend's birthday on Saturday. They're bringing over a chinchilla, a lion head rabbit, a bat eared fox, and of course, Steve the Sloth:

CBiiMftWEAAzLye.jpg

I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I'm pretty psyched, and I think hugging some cute animals is what a lot of people need right now.

Viewt

i'm inviting myself over please save me a slice of cake thanks in advance cya

LOL, there's actually no cake. A good friend of mine (who also happens to be one of the talented folks at the very-tasty Nico Osteria) is making a pumpkin cheesecake. It weighs 10 pounds, so it hits the sweet spot on the crucial delicious/will kill you slowly ratio.

Kisaya

LOL, there's actually no cake. A good friend of mine (who also happens to be one of the talented folks at the very-tasty Nico Osteria) is making a pumpkin cheesecake. It weighs 10 pounds, so it hits the sweet spot on the crucial delicious/will kill you slowly ratio.

im down

Viewt

Hahaha. Tell ya what, if all goes well and no one gets maimed by this sloth (hey, you never know), I might be down to host a Chicago-GAF sloth party (pumpkin cheesecake availability TBD).

Viewt

I guess Viewt was eaten by the sloth.

Haha, still alive! Forgot to get back to everybody about the party. It was great! Flying Fox is a total class act - they got there early, and actually stayed late, so even though I paid for an hour, they stuck around for almost two. The sloth was obviously the star of the show, but people really loved the chinchilla and rabbit. The bat eared fox was a mixed bag, truthfully. It was cute, but it just kind of looked like an overweight raccoon, and acted like an old, chill dog. So it was really relaxed and cool with people petting it, but he also just kinda... laid there.

It's a married couple who run it, and they actually brought their 8-year old daughter with them. Before they left, she gave me a magnet she made with Steve the Sloth on it. Total class act all around.

Anywho, if you wanna check out some of Steve's moves, I recorded a little bit of video. But it's in portrait (ugh, I know). I realized I was shooting vertically like 30 seconds in, and just decided to commit at that point. I hate myself.

Been trying donuts around the area. So far, I'm really liking Stan's. What's another place worth checking out?

And while I'm at it, lobster rolls. Where are the best in the city?

I've had most of the notable lobster rolls on the city. Da Lobsta, Luke's and Smack Shack are ok but good for the (relatively) cheaper prices. Brown bag Seafood Co. and New England Seadood Company have excellent ones but are pricey.

If you want the best one in the city, it's at Acadia. It's a 2 star Michelin restaurant, but they have a unique bar menu with their lobster roll and chips I think for 18 bucks... still pricey, but you're eating at a Michelin starred restaurant and having tried both the (excellent) tasting and bar menus, the lobster roll there is the best thing there.

Viewt

My friend works at Nico Osteria, and they get their fish flown in from Japan daily, which is expensive as fuck. There's definitely good seafood to be had in Chicago, but anything from the ocean is going to be pricey if it's quality.

Being from the east coast, it was a little bit of an adjustment for me. I still miss seafood paella. :(

My friend works at Nico Osteria, and they get their fish flown in from Japan daily, which is expensive as fuck. There's definitely good seafood to be had in Chicago, but anything from the ocean is going to be pricey if it's quality.

Being from the east coast, it was a little bit of an adjustment for me. I still miss seafood paella. :(

What's your friend do at Nico Osteria?

I have yet to dine at any One Off Hospitality's restaurants. I've been wanting to check out Blackbird forever.

Haha, still alive! Forgot to get back to everybody about the party. It was great! Flying Fox is a total class act - they got there early, and actually stayed late, so even though I paid for an hour, they stuck around for almost two. The sloth was obviously the star of the show, but people really loved the chinchilla and rabbit. The bat eared fox was a mixed bag, truthfully. It was cute, but it just kind of looked like an overweight raccoon, and acted like an old, chill dog. So it was really relaxed and cool with people petting it, but he also just kinda... laid there.

It's a married couple who run it, and they actually brought their 8-year old daughter with them. Before they left, she gave me a magnet she made with Steve the Sloth on it. Total class act all around.

Anywho, if you wanna check out some of Steve's moves, I recorded a little bit of video. But it's in portrait (ugh, I know). I realized I was shooting vertically like 30 seconds in, and just decided to commit at that point. I hate myself.

We'll forgive you for your orientation. That's pretty cool.

Viewt

What's your friend do at Nico Osteria?

I have yet to dine at any One Off Hospitality's restaurants. I've been wanting to check out Blackbird forever.

I think he primarily works the crudo station, but he's hopped all over the line. He started over there on brunch, but he mostly does evenings now.

I haven't had Blackbird, but my favorite One Off is probably Avec. My girlfriend and I went there for a fancy dinner a couple years ago and it was one of my Top 10 meals, for sure. I dunno if they still have them, but when I went, they were making these nutter butters:

Pure heaven.

This thread is broken. It says there's a new post by Viewt in my subscriptions page but I don't see it and it isn't marked as read. I only see it now when I clicked reply. Maybe this will fix it?

Those look pretty good though.

Top Bottom