• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago Police Union boss acknowledges code of silence, doesn't give a shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

Source: Chicagoist via Al Jazeera

The head of the Chicago Police Union acknowledges and appears to defend the existence and practice of a code of silence among Chicago police in a new Al Jazeera documentary video.

“There’s a code of silence everywhere,” FOP President Dean Aneglo says after the interviewer asks if such a code exists within the department. “Everybody has it.”

Angelo then pivots to how the Catholic Church engaged in a code of silence during the child-abuse scandal.

“But that doesn’t make it right,” the interviewer responds. “That makes it very wrong.”

“No, but why would this profession be any different?” Angelo says.

When asked if it needs to change, Angelo seems to defend the practice. “I don’t think anybody in this day and age, anybody that does anything that jeopardizes the livelihood of their job for their family to stand up for somebody that they know is doing something they shouldn’t be doing, is silly,” Angelo says.

This is the same guy as my previous thread - the one who said that police are the "real victims" as of late.

Oh, and I love this bit:

Later in the film, Mayor Rahm Emanuel is seen moving hurriedly away from the filmmakers when asked at a groundbreaking ceremony if he'll renegotiate the contract "that your own task force says institutionalize a code of silence," as the interviewer phrases. "We'll deal with that," Emanuel says, stepping away.

I love my city, but the infrastructure of the CPD, and the entire union, is a fucking cancer on the populace.

Ej900at.png

Xe4

Banned
When your defense is the Catholic Church shares your practice to protect pedophiles, you know you fucked up.

ezekial45

Banned
Did he seriously just make the parallels with the child abuse from the Catholic church to U.S. law enforcement?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don’t think anybody in this day and age, anybody that does anything that jeopardizes the livelihood of their job for their family to stand up for somebody that they know is doing something they shouldn’t be doing, is silly,

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep, but I can't even parse this sentence.

Viewt

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep, but I can't even parse this sentence.

It's word spaghetti, but basically, what he's saying is, "I don't support any measure that would make policing harder or more taxing if it helps a criminal/suspect."

boiled goose

good with gravy
When you use what the Catholic church did to justify your own actions is when You should realize what you're doing is probably wrong...

Wow.

WedgeX

Banned
“I don’t think anybody in this day and age, anybody that does anything that jeopardizes the livelihood of their job for their family to stand up for somebody that they know is doing something they shouldn’t be doing, is silly,” Angelo says

Most people's jobs aren't regulated directly by the Constitution. Nor involve potential death.

If you can't handle these responsibilities then fucking don't be police.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's word spaghetti, but basically, what he's saying is, "I don't support any measure that would make policing harder or more taxing if it helps a criminal/suspect."
That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying cops shouldn't have to report other cops doing foul shit. The implication being they'll be seen as a traitor. It's disgusting.

Al Jazeera huh
Yes. Not sure what your argument is.

Fuck this guy. He and people who believe this is whey some officers think it's ok to abuse their power, because they can hide behind a code of silence. As an officer you aren't hear to hide behind anything. You are meant to stand out there, lifting that badge up to something higher than just a badge. The badge isn't there to hide you, it's you who are meant to protect it and what is stands for. God damn it this guy needs to lose his job.

I had to reread the OP a few times. My brain was trying to tell me that the Catholic Church code of silence parallels were brought up by the interviewer to shut down the Union guy. I mean, surely he's not defending himself by using an example of when the Catholic Church stayed quiet about pedophilia?

The answer to that is so fucking sad.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
As someone who actually might get into a police academy coming up, this absolutely disgusts me. Then again, I've had to hide all my progressive beliefs throughout the entirety of of this process, I'm not shocked by this at all.

If you're going to put you're 'brothers' and self interests before doing what's right, even if that means taking a hard, unpopular stance, you have no business being a cop. Period. I wouldn't want to work with those individuals.

But you know, they'll tell me I'm too idealistic. Fuck them.

Dude - be careful. If you don't fall in line, things will not go well for you :/

(They might kill you for it.)

FyreWulff

I don't even know where you begin to fix this.

Like, the only thing I can specifically think of, would be to hire people that aren't WANTING to be police officers, draft style, and have them serve for something like 4 year stints, and then after your run is done, that's it. You can't be a police officer anymore.

This shit is so fucked up.

mnannola

Angelo then pivots to how the Catholic Church engaged in a code of silence during the child-abuse scandal.

“But that doesn’t make it right,” the interviewer responds. “That makes it very wrong.”

“No, but why would this profession be any different?” Angelo says.

I don't think pivoting to the Catholic Church abusing kids is what you want to do to justify anything. That's not how you pivot.

Viewt

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying cops shouldn't have to report other cops doing foul shit. The implication being they'll be seen as a traitor. It's disgusting.

Yes. Not sure what your argument is.

Ah, my mistake. I got a little lost in that spaghetti I guess.

“There’s a code of silence everywhere,” FOP President Dean Aneglo says after the interviewer asks if such a code exists within the department. “Everybody has it.”

Everybody has a code of silence. Nobody got upset when the Catholic Church abused a bunch of young children, right? So why is everybody giving US a hard time!

Viewt

The other issue at play here is that they're trying to keep the idiotic rule that police misconduct records only need to be kept around for 5-7 years, after which they can be dumped into the ether.

In the clip, Angelo also questions the importance of keeping such records for further lengths. “I’m not sure about the value on old complaints,” he says.

You know, like the kinds of records that routinely pop up that shows that officers who kill people in cold blood usually have a long trail of misconduct complaints in their past - trails that tell us that brutal, criminal, and lethal abuse is likely in their future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom