• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland Police call for State of Emergency during RNC, and suspension of open carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun, but the problem here is that there's no reasonable expectations that any good guys will attend the RNC.

Red

No one is rooting for violence, but there are people enjoying a bit of schadenfreude as Republicans see a bit of their idiocy when to comes to open carry and why it isn't a good idea.
Schadenfreude must have a limit, surely. It's one thing to see a man trip on a rake and have the pole hit his face. It's another to see men gunned down because of their ideology.

geardo

Where were the police unions when all these absurdly permissive gun laws were getting passed at the NRA's behest in the first place?

It really is comical to see certain groups finally realize that the proliferation of guns in America helps nobody but gun manufacturers.

Let those assholes reap what they sowed.

Gallbaro

Banned
Where were the police unions when all these absurdly permissive gun laws were getting passed at the NRA's behest in the first place?

It really is comical to see certain groups finally realize that the proliferation of guns in America helps nobody but gun manufacturers.
You have it backwards, for the most part gun related laws take away rights. Most states with open carry do not have laws that restrict it. They do not have laws that grant it as a right.

Volimar

So they agree that we need to work on gun control. Right??????

Don't be silly. Obviously the fear is that a mentally ill person will magically manifest a gun (because we don't talk about expanding background checks) and come to the event looking to kill good guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is passed last minute due to "extreme circumstances" of the past couple of weeks. Will be interesting, stay safe people.

people have lost their minds when instead of being for gun control now jump on Yeah Open Carry!!! because of anger of all the things going on

no matter the anger.

Guns are bad, period.

Gun control is good

Axel Foley would case that mofo right quick, being July and all.

tumblr_mzq2c0IN9O1rvbqdko1_500.gif

Can't fuck with people's toys now can we.

No water guns, buddy.

What if someone fills that water gun with piss? Of course it should be banned.

Piss is worst than bullets..shit sinks!

This is pretty fucking funny, all things considered. I guess they are starting to realize that maybe gun control is a pretty good idea after all. I hope they don't ban it at the convention though.

I want to see what happens.

This is pretty fucking funny, all things considered. I guess they are starting to realize that maybe gun control is a pretty good idea after all. I hope they don't ban it at the convention though.

theyre freaking out because of the rumored participation of some negroes in open carry near the convention

Fuck all that. Who's trying to see more dead bodies?

They've got Secret Service protection. I doubt there will be bodies. I just want to see the convention turn into a massive clusterfuck. I want them to understand why we want to ban guns; I want them to be afraid.

Dude..outside. I'm not even trying to think of all the craziness over there. Too many lunatics with guns on edge. He'll no..I don't want to see shit playing out. Do you, I guess..I know who's gonna get blamed and pay the price. Again.

Dude..outside. I'm not even trying to think of all the craziness over there. Too many lunatics with guns on edge. He'll no..I don't want to see shit playing out. Do you, I guess..I know who's gonna get blamed and pay the price. Again.
Well you're probably right. I didn't really think about it but I guess there might be a real risk. Sometimes I forget how easy it is for deranged people to get guns. In that case hopefully they succeed in banning guns at this convention and that action starts a real conversation about the issue and weakens the NRA.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, sure, too late for this now. You can't encourage these yokels behavior for years and then suddenly ask them to stop when it's inconvenient to you. Reap what you sow.

MIMIC

Banned
As much as I would love for this to happen, you can just up and suspend a person's rights. And it's too late to do this anyway. The thing starts tomorrow.

Let's see if this plea continues after the convention is over.

rpmurphy

But then good guys won't have guns and the bad guys will bring them anyway. The police can't be everywhere. Anything else?

Edit: Just to make clear, I'm in no way condoning the murder of random police officers. That's wrong on every level. I'm speaking about defending against specific cases of unlawful abuse of power and or danger to yourself or loved ones.

No, you are advocating the killing of specific police officers. I know you're not American, but when people talk about "defending against tyranny" and such, they are stating, even if they seldom acknowledge it, that they are willing and ready to kill the cops or soldiers who knock on their door to take their guns away.

Well you're probably right. I didn't really think about it but I guess there might be a real risk. Sometimes I forget how easy it is for deranged people to get guns. In that case hopefully they succeed in banning guns at this convention and that action starts a real conversation about the issue and weakens the NRA.

Honestly, all of this shit makes me nervous personally. The last thing I want is any escalation from what is already a nightmare for many.

Again, no..

Quite concerning the number of LOL GOP posts, as if they were gonna be the ones in harms way. Like Trump or any other policy makers will be in danger in the arena, behind a small army of cops and secret service. The only people in harms way are gonna be the protesters, cops, and citizens of the city who probably have a minuscule influence on this nations gun laws.

"Who do you think we are, North Carolina?"

On a separate note, it's always disconcerting to hear Kasich spout common sense because it fools people into thinking he's a reasonable person and forgetting things like that he and the secretary of state have been making it harder and harder to vote since they took office.

He was also one of the original defendants in Obergefell.

Thats because Kasich is reasonable enough to pull the most dastardly shit in politics. He's a god damn super villain. You need real working minds in actual politics and its insane how shit is basically looked at as entertainment.

Honestly F the Republicans, I never seen more hateful behavior being displayed and then yet having to recognize them as some "political party" worth being a choice regarding the "direction" of the country.

Thats some serious shit and you have people literally spouting bullshit.

Lately its like listening to these new reports about fear, chaos, death and it just about burns your damn ears off.

Im glad they cry like bitches when they finally deal with their same old bullshit. This is a "government party" lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm worried tomorrow will go exactly the worst way it could.

1- You got pro-Trump and anti-Trump folks showing up in big numbers, likely to lead to some clashes.
2- Both sides will bring rifles/semi-autos.
3- They will bring even more than they would have if nothing had been said about not showing up armed, to make a statement, or as much if you count that some will follow the demand not too while others will show up armed due to it.
4- The police will be there in huge numbers, so it could draw out another nut.
5- Any accident, or altercation between armed folks would probably lead to the whole place going completely chaotic. I mean what happens exactly if you got another guy like today showing up there? Can you imagine the situation?
6- If the police presence is as massive as I expect it to be, someone might use it as a divergence.

It's like the perfect recipe for a complete and utter disaster, and all you can do is hope nothing happens.

I think if I was the police chief I'd tell my forces to arrest anyone showing up armed, and face the judiciary consequences afterwards. Let the court handle it, lives are at risk.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
^
Open carry aside, what kind of self defense laws does Ohio have? They're not a stand-your-ground state, are they?

Screw that. I mean, I was hoping that we could use the "let them fight" .gif for a contested convention. Watch these people bicker on the convention floor for all the world to see, but actual violence? No way. Would just garner sympathy for Republicans.

commedieu

Banned
I'm worried tomorrow will go exactly the worst way it could.

1- You got pro-Trump and anti-Trump folks showing up in big numbers, likely to lead to some clashes.
2- Both sides will bring rifles/semi-autos.
3- They will bring even more than they would have if nothing had been said about not showing up armed, to make a statement, or as much if you count that some will follow the demand not too while others will show up armed due to it.
4- The police will be there in huge numbers, so it could draw out another nut.
5- Any accident, or altercation between armed folks would probably lead to the whole place going completely chaotic. I mean what happens exactly if you got another guy like today showing up there? Can you imagine the situation?
6- If the police presence is as massive as I expect it to be, someone might use it as a divergence.

It's like the perfect recipe for a complete and utter disaster, and all you can do is hope nothing happens.

I think if I was the police chief I'd tell my forces to arrest anyone showing up armed, and face the judiciary consequences afterwards. Let the court handle it, lives are at risk.

Pretty much, but what else can you do besides watch this trainwreck? They promote everyone having guns. Lots of insane people in the world with guns, but no sense checking for it.

What more can be said?

What time does it start tomorrow?

Schadenfreude must have a limit, surely. It's one thing to see a man trip on a rake and have the pole hit his face. It's another to see men gunned down because of their ideology.

I'm not rooting for someone to get shot down, what I'm saying is THEY are seeing the idiocy of a policy decision. Nothing more.

^
Screw that. I mean, I was hoping that we could use the "let them fight" .gif for a contested convention. Watch these people bicker on the convention floor for all the world to see, but actual violence? No way. Would just garner sympathy for Republicans.

Gif was in jest, but seriously though. You cant just suspend laws when it suits you.

Thats fucked.

Open carry is the law in OH, then let them open carry and fucking deal with it. Thats your job.

And if you didn't want them to open carry then maybe your police union shoulda lobbied against it. Oh wait, thats probably your base though.

I sincerely feel bad for the police there. It's going to be extremely volatile there and they're the ones expected to keep things in control.

I really really really hope nothing major happens and the RNC is completed without much noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom