• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon likes being compared to "Dick Cheney, Darth Vader, Satan"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's a crazy quote. Not the one where he talks about Satan, but the one where he claims he belongs to a party that champions the little guy and calls the Dems the party of corporate America.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't he basically just saying 'they can call us whatever bad names they want to - it only gives us more attention, and thus, more power' ?

I really think most of you are reading this wrong. I hate the guy, but I really think he's saying they're being mislabeled with these names, and those attacks help them.

I can't believe I'm defending the guy, who seems rather dispicable, but it's clear that that is exactly what he's saying.

Being mislabeled and having people focus on the things they are not allows them to get away with policies and plans they wouldn't otherwise if those were being focused on instead. He specifically cites the infrastructure rebuilding plan as something that even conservatives would balk at that they plan to push through.

Again, I don't want to defend this guy on a personal level and I honestly think he is full of shit, but at least don't twist the message?

He doesn't like being compared to Dick Cheney. He likes being compared to the caricature of Dick Cheney, which is of an evil sith lord pulling the strings politically.

It's laughably stupid and Bannon is an idiot.

What irks me is not that Bannon sees himself as the star of a science fiction movie, but that millions of evangelical Christians who legitimately see the world as a fight against good and evil are willfully whistling Dixie while their president puts somebody who sees himself as the embodiment of Satan in the White House.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, that's a crazy quote. Not the one where he talks about Satan, but the one where he claims he belongs to a party that champions the little guy and calls the Dems the party of corporate America.

he is absolutely right that both parties in this country care about catering to the wealthy and big businesses to the exclusion of all else, and if you narrowly define "little guy" as "white men" then he's 2 for 2

you forget that bannon hates mainstream republicans almost as much as he hates democrats

the irony is that Bannon is a millionaire, elite himself

Indeed, but unlike a lot of those folks he wasn't always wealthy. He understands the importance of cnnecting to the everyday man. Bannon even said it himself in the interview and that Bill Clinton understood this as while. It's a tragedy that he wasn't able to convey how important that is to his wife's campaign.

Balphon

wasn't cromwell the machiavellian power behind the throne in a government headed up by a syphilitic madman?

seems apt to me

Not so much that part.

More the part when the true believers in the Tudor court inevitably turned on Cromwell and stuck his head on a pike above London Bridge.

SURGEdude

He says that at the very beginning. By labeling him evil and comparing him to Satan they completely miss the point and paint themselves in a ridiculous light.
The problem is a lot of the left wing media has embraced extreme hyperbole making them look foolish.

I strongly disagree. There is very little positive to say about people like Mr. Bannon.

aeolist

Banned
Not so much that part.

More the part when the true believers in the Tudor court inevitably turned on Cromwell and stuck his head on a pike above London Bridge.

we can only hope

edit: also the bit about manipulating henry by tossing underage women his way seems like foreshadowing now

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The issue now is about Americans looking to not get f—ed over. If we deliver—” by "we" he means the Trump White House "—we’ll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we’ll govern for 50 years.

This is what I've been saying to Democrats about what they should be wary of for a long time now. Trump has actually used the phrase "New Deal" in his campaign speeches.

If he actually pulls off a modern New Deal-esque initiative that works, it'll be a feather in his hat that will be very very hard to dislodge. The last New Deal was with FDR, and they had to amend the constitution to keep him out of office.

(I am on record saying that pointing out one historical similarity out of many differences does not necessarily indicate a repeat of history, but a lot of you seem to be just fine with accepting Hitler analogies as a logical argument, so here's an FDR analogy).

wasn't cromwell the machiavellian power behind the throne in a government headed up by a syphilitic madman?

seems apt to me

It is an apt comparison. I'm sure that Bannon is also aware that Cromwell was later executed by the same king he helped to empower. I wonder how he feels about that?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's... quite the escalation of evil

aeolist

Banned
This is what I've been saying to Democrats about what they should be wary of for a long time now. Trump has actually used the phrase "New Deal" in his campaign speeches.

If he actually pulls off a modern New Deal-esque initiative that works, it'll be a feather in his hat that will be very very hard to dislodge. The last New Deal was with FDR, and they had to amend the constitution to keep him out of office.

(I am on record saying that pointing out one historical similarity out of many differences does not necessarily indicate a repeat of history, but a lot of you seem to be just fine with accepting Hitler analogies as a logical argument, so here's an FDR analogy).

even if bannon really wants to accomplish populist goals he has a lot of obstacles to contend with. trump's miniscule attention span, an administration that looks like it'll be adversarial at best and entirely dysfunctional at worst, crony capitalists running congress, and possible senate filibusters.

i very much doubt we'll see anything like the new deal.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I would suggest anyone to read this interview Bannon gave. Though it does nothing to quell any concerns about him being an anti-Semite or another other race baiter, it does give more insight into how he thinks.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfede...entire-world?utm_term=.wkJqJDKmko#.elQ7mjPWLg
And its his thinking that will be advising the President...Not the labels we give him.
This is really fascinating. He clearly has an economic vision.

I wonder if he is truly motivated by the religious dimension of defending western culture, or if the religious are yet another group that he's using to further more economic/political ambitions. He's definitely big into the whole "using people whom he may not agree with as long as they further his aims". That's the whole ethos of the alt-right alliance.

It's also interesting that he mentions Putin's brilliance in exploiting social conservatism for populist support. All while speaking to a Catholic organization. A tell?

(It should be noted that politicians using religious appeals to shore up support is probably the oldest trick in the book)

And he goes on to say that the downside of Putin's Russia is that it's a kleptocracy. That's interesting because despite "drain the swamp" populism, I honestly think Trump wants to enrich himself and his friends on the back of this presidency.

even if bannon really wants to accomplish populist goals he has a lot of obstacles to contend with. trump's miniscule attention span, an administration that looks like it'll be adversarial at best and entirely dysfunctional at worst, crony capitalists running congress, and possible senate filibusters.

I mean, they won the Presidency.. somehow. I'm going to sit and wait to see what rabbit they pull out of the hat next before I predict too much more.

I agree it seems.. unlikely.. but, hell. We're living in uncharted waters.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. Did he actually compare himself to satan? Or was this taken out of context?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Am I read this right? H-he just compared himself to Satan?
well i read it like he said those things and said 'it only helps us when they say that.....'

i dont like this piece of shit administration, but i think how i read it is more accurate than how you read it

blackw0lf

Still waiting for a single person here to actually read the article. There's context! Lots of it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...trategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

He's crazy, but not the kind of crazy anyone here thinks he is. Key policy quote:

“It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

The million dollar infrastructure plan is a con

https://newrepublic.com/article/138674/beware-donald-trumps-infrastructure-plan

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Would you agree that this is the first President in recent memory who not only often says how much he likes building huge shiny things, but also has a 40 year record of actually building huge shiny things?

You also might want to see this for some context.

https://youtu.be/DUforZfLfkI?t=1h35m17s

Curufinwe

Massive spending increases and tax cuts when the economy is at close to full employment is going to be a disaster.

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/11...ump-infrastructure-plan-disaster-economy.html

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would you agree that this is the first President in recent memory who not only often says how much he likes building huge shiny things, but also has a 40 year record of actually building huge shiny things?

Infrastructure sounds good, but via Trump's taste in architecture and design...? Puke.

Balphon

I'm confused. Did he actually compare himself to satan? Or was this taken out of context?

The thrust of that comment is that he enjoys those comparisons because they are so outlandish that they cause his opponents to not take him seriously.

In the sense that Satan is a cool cat.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
Been around for a long long time, stolen many a man's soul and faith

aeolist

Banned

he has a history of scamming and swindling contracters and at this point has failed so many times at trying to build things himself that he just lets people use his name for projects he had no involvement in.

i think he will halfheartedly start a few projects that will all fail spectacularly while lining his pockets, after which he'll proclaim them all to be great successes.

The thrust of that comment is that he enjoys those comparisons because they are so outlandish that they cause his opponents to not take him seriously.

Yep. Lots of jokes and intentional misunderstanding here. What he is saying is true and dangerous and its exactly how Trump got elected.

Balphon

how exactly is he going to pass a trillion dollar infrastructure bill? it sounds disastrous for the environment.

Well, "how" he's going to pass it is over the opposition of congressional Republicans, if at all.

How his proposal is supposed to work is by leveraging "tax incentives" and "public private partnerships" to the extent that any federal spending is offset by increased revenues. Don't ask me whether that's realistic, though.

Chiggs

“The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia. The issue now is about Americans looking to not get f—ed over. If we deliver—” by "we" he means the Trump White House "—we’ll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we’ll govern for 50 years. That’s what the Democrats missed, they were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It’s not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about.”

I like the direction he's going with this, and I'll try to put aside whatever issues I have with his personality/beliefs.

That said, if he screws it all up and becomes what many of us think he is...ash heap of history, my friend.

aeolist

Banned
I like the direction he's going with this, and I'll try to put aside whatever issues I have with his personality/beliefs.

That said, if he screws it all up and becomes what many of us think he is...ash heap of history, my friend.

he's on record complaining to trump that too many silicon valley CEOs are asian and not white

he may actually believe the populist side of what he says but it's inextricably linked to white supremacy

Raven117

This is really fascinating. He clearly has an economic vision.

I wonder if he is truly motivated by the religious dimension of defending western culture, or if the religious are yet another group that he's using to further more economic/political ambitions. He's definitely big into the whole "using people whom he may not agree with as long as they further his aims". That's the whole ethos of the alt-right alliance.

It's also interesting that he mentions Putin's brilliance in exploiting social conservatism for populist support. All while speaking to a Catholic organization. A tell?

(It should be noted that politicians using religious appeals to shore up support is probably the oldest trick in the book)

And he goes on to say that the downside of Putin's Russia is that it's a kleptocracy. That's interesting because despite "drain the swamp" populism, I honestly think Trump wants to enrich himself and his friends on the back of this presidency.
All very insightful points regarding the interview. This" "using people whom he may not agree with as long as they further his aims" is well spotted.

I think to simply call him an "anti-Semite" is not doing enough on our end to understand what is really going on. Its intellectually lazy. The dude is obviously playing chess while all of us are just screaming racist. I want to know what the end game for Bannon is. I really have no idea what his motivations are or really where he wants to go with all of this.

As I said...if he is already comfortable with being the villain....he has freedom to behave accordingly.

This sounds like he is advocating for a religious war more than anything else.
Maybe he is? I have no idea really.

Red

All very insightful points regarding the interview. This" "using people whom he may not agree with as long as they further his aims" is well spotted.

I think to simply call him an "anti-Semite" is not doing enough on our end to understand what is really going on. Its intellectually lazy. The dude is obviously playing chess while all of us are just screaming racist. I want to know what the end game for Bannon is. I really have no idea what his motivations are or really where he wants to go with all of this.

As I said...if he is already comfortable with being the villain....he has freedom to behave accordingly.

Maybe he is? I have no idea really.
The Buzzfeed transcript does nothing to assuage fears about his bigotry. He intends to create a white Judeo-Christian mecca. That's the end game. He says as much. I agree that simply calling him an anti-Semite oversimplifies his positions. He identifies as a Christian and he appears to have a dislike of democracy, praising Putin and explaining how outside groups (atheists, Muslims) are the enemy, and must be defeated. He does not want them to have a voice, at least not in America. He wants "traditional" values, and stokes fears of diversity. He calls himself a nationalist. The prevailing order of the world he describes is textbook fascism.

Raven117

The Buzzfeed transcript does nothing to assuage fears about his bigotry.
I know
Though it does nothing to quell any concerns about him being an anti-Semite or another other race baiter, it does give more insight into how he thinks.

He intends to create a white Judeo-Christian mecca. That's the end game. He says as much. I agree that simply calling him an anti-Semite oversimplifies his positions. He identifies as a Christian and he appears to have a dislike of democracy, praising Putin and explaining how outside groups (atheists, Muslims) are the enemy, and must be defeated. He does not want them to have a voice, at least not in America. He wants "traditional" values, and stokes fears of diversity. He calls himself a nationalist. The prevailing order of the world he describes is textbook fascism.
I don't disagree with any of this. Im still searching for more on the guy.

I think he is a more complex figure than what is generally being discussed by the media. Us, as people against Trump and his administration, would be well served to truly understand who is advising him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom