• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon likes being compared to "Dick Cheney, Darth Vader, Satan"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't he basically just saying 'they can call us whatever bad names they want to - it only gives us more attention, and thus, more power' ?

I really think most of you are reading this wrong. I hate the guy, but I really think he's saying they're being mislabeled with these names, and those attacks help them.

The problem is that their agenda is fucking evil, so the comparisons to darkness fit, and he's admitting it. These people are pushing for us to hate each other, while more liberals are pushing love or acceptance of people, at least for the majority of the part.

Beefy

Isn't he basically just saying 'they can call us whatever bad names they want to - it only gives us more attention, and thus, more power' ?

I really think most of you are reading this wrong. I hate the guy, but I really think he's saying they're being mislabeled with these names, and those attacks help them.

Do you not think it's still a pretty insane thing to say?

digdug2k

And some Evangelicals justified their vote for Trump by saying God can work through evil people. Like, they literally admitted to voting for someone they knew was evil.
Lol. I saw that a lot too. "I just can't bear to vote for Hillary. But God used lots of evil people in the Bible, so I guess that's what he's doing with Trump."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wait till he hangs a giant picture of Hitler behind his desk to always remind him what he is striving for.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Honestly, this is probably the correct interpretation. Still, having someone who will work in a presidential administration while relishing comparisons to the likes of Hitler (sure, he didn't say it, but you know that's only because he's not THAT stupid) and other universally accepted 'bad guys', is pretty disconcerting. Definitely not ok.

Pickman

I'm surprised he didn't also compare himself to Wormtounge.

Grima_and_Th%C3%A9oden.jpg

This only makes sense if when Theoden was released from the spell he then became fucking Saruman.

adj_noun

It only helps us when they get it wrong.

Me being wrong consists of the Trump presidency being one of the most progressive presidencies in history; one governed by wisdom, devoted to truth, advocating science education and acting as a stalwart defender of minorities.

I would love to be wrong. I might do cartwheels.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it benefitted him as a subversive figure on his way to the top.

Now that he's The Man, this darkness crap is going to unify people to tear him down.

No.. no.. it's much easier and more entertaining to take one part of an article and instead focus solely on that instead of all the other things in the article.

It's like he's laying out exactly how and what he's going to do, but everyone here reads "Vader? Satan? HAHAHA!" and tunes out. Isn't the exactly how everyone got blindsided in the first place?

Actually debating not going to my families Thanksgiving this year, I just don't know if I can put up with it and deal with the absurd shit that is going to be said.

Still waiting for a single person here to actually read the article. There's context! Lots of it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...trategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

He's crazy, but not the kind of crazy anyone here thinks he is. Key policy quote:

“It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

marrec

Banned

I'm think that's what he's doing yes.

He seems to be saying "comparisons to Cheney, Satan, and Vader just prove how powerful we are." and "as long as our enemies are confused about our true intentions we have an advantage".

Jeffrey

“Like [Andrew] Jackson’s populism, we’re going to build an entirely new political movement,” he says. “It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

This is interesting... So how is our lord Satan, gonna get the GOP to agree to this?

Stopdoor

He's saying that the comparisons to figures like Vader and Satan only help them because people will see the comparisons as foolish and it will help them gain support.

Duke said this exact same shit about the evil talk with Trump earlier in the election.

It's pretty ambiguous when quoted, but this is probably true.

And while it's worth being disgusted about either way, people hearing what they want to hear happens here as well, it seems.

CHC

“It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

That actually sounds far worse than the darkness quote because it's actually based on the reality we live in.

That's exactly what he is saying. And he's not wrong

marrec

Banned
That's exactly what he is saying. And he's not wrong

Well, I don't know if any normally functioning adult should be reveling in comparisons to historically evil people (and Satan, Vader) so "wrong" is a bit subjective there.

The second part of the quote is alright though sure.

Lowmelody

Still waiting for a single person here to actually read the article. There's context! Lots of it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...trategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

He's crazy, but not the kind of crazy anyone here thinks he is. Key policy quote:

Gee where have I heard that spiel before? Couldn't be more on the nose.

Hardcore gas lighting, damn.

Curufinwe

But Trump doesn't like the national debt being so big.

commedieu

Banned
Protest vote!!!!

Once again thanks. I can't wait for the nation to start feeling the burn of all this shit. This is what you all wanted.

DavidDesu

Surely the puritanical Christian side of the Republican party will be up in arms over someone talking like this, obviously the Satan reference in particular. Not that I have any sympathy for that element of the right wing but for fuck's sake they must realise shit is fucking bizarre. Their reaction or lack of it will cement my thoughts on whether they really have any backbone whatsoever, or just want the power no matter the cost, which is of course incredibly Christian of them.

I can't take this dude seriously.

I will defend myself, my family, and everything important to me from him and his evil.

He will not win.

I'm just getting tired of the onslaught of Trump threads and everyone seeming to run for the hills. I just started got my account active and I'm already sick of OT. I'ma just tune this out and live my life. Wish there was a way to remove threads.

FoxSpirit

It's pretty ambiguous when quoted, but this is probably true.

And while it's worth being disgusted about either way, people hearing what they want to hear happens here as well, it seems.

Trump's chief White House strategist told the Hollywood Reporter that he benefited from left-wing media outlets that labeled him as evil.
He says that at the very beginning. By labeling him evil and comparing him to Satan they completely miss the point and paint themselves in a ridiculous light.
The problem is a lot of the left wing media has embraced extreme hyperbole making them look foolish.

Kusagari

Bannon isn't dumb. He knows with the cult of personality around Trump right now that people he's surrounding himself with are just as Teflon.

Calling him a white nationalist, calling Sessions a racist..it only further endears them to Trump's base. Because it must be bullshit made up by the media.

It furthers the us against them mantra Trump built his campaign off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom