• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon likes being compared to "Dick Cheney, Darth Vader, Satan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
He says that at the very beginning. By labeling him evil and comparing him to Satan they completely miss the point and paint themselves in a ridiculous light.
The problem is a lot of the left wing media has embraced extreme hyperbole making them look foolish.

Breh, us liberals embraced, fucked, and reared a little hyperbole baby into a full grown hyperbole adult long before this election. At best we're extreme reactionaries and some people are taking full advantage of that now.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement

Yea, where I have seen this before? Hmm. He wants to be compared to fucking Nazis, he gets off on it.

Still waiting for a single person here to actually read the article. There's context! Lots of it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...trategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

He's crazy, but not the kind of crazy anyone here thinks he is. Key policy quote:

“It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

It's not a bad plan, and I think it is one of the best options for the Trump administration. Getting it funded on the level they want will be the real challenge.

rec0ded1

Heed his words. While everyone is reporting "OMG HE ADMITS IT" tons of shit is probably going on while the masses are distracted with those headlines.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Steve? Hi, it's Chuck.

Hey Chuck, what's up? Some of us are going to Chili's for some 2 for 1 margaritas after work, you in?

Can't tonight Steve. Hey listen, PR asked me to talk to you about your interviews. It would be great if you would not favorably compare yourself to the literal embodiment of evil. OK? You know, some people might get the wrong idea.

Well...

Thanks buddy, see you Monday.

riotous

Banned
It says right in the quote "when they get it wrong." So no he's not calling himself evil; he's saying liberals help him when he gets called evil, because it projects power onto him.

I'm surprised he didn't also compare himself to Wormtounge.

Grima_and_Th%C3%A9oden.jpg

Well clearly he likes being compared to the cool evil guys, not some toady of the main bad guy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
1.) Bannon is a racist piece of shit.

2.) You guys are overreacting to this particular quote. He is not literally admitting to being an evil crazy person. He likes being a villain of the left. Being a big target of his political enemies essentially validates his standing and position of power within Trump's administration. Individuals that hold no power don't invoke controversy. He also thinks that when he thinks he'll be proven right (operative "he thinks he's right") that comparisons to Hitler or Darth Vader ultimately would make the left look foolish.

JaggedSac

Still waiting for a single person here to actually read the article. There's context! Lots of it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...trategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

He's crazy, but not the kind of crazy anyone here thinks he is. Key policy quote:

“It’s everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I’m the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it’s the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We’re just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement.”

It's a bad idea for jobs. Unless you think this will pull people out of the pool of those that have completely stopped looking for work, all this will do is shift jobs around from those already employed. Plus last time infrastructure building was done, something like 7,000 jobs were created. Bams even said it was disappointing. Yellen even recommended against it yesterday. At least in conjunction with his other policies he plans on implementing.

Exactly what I came in here to say. The OP should be changed to actually post the full interview in question. I highly recommend reading it.

Business Insider didn't even bother to copy what THR said fully..

“Darkness is good,” says Bannon, who amid the suits surrounding him at Trump Tower, looks like a graduate student in his T-shirt, open button-down and tatty blue blazer — albeit a 62-year-old graduate student. “Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That’s power. It only helps us when they—“ I believe by “they” he means liberals and the media, already promoting calls for his ouster “—get it wrong. When they’re blind to who we are and what we’re doing.”

From that, yes I'd assume he is saying that when people/outlets focus solely on how "evil" and "like satan" he is.. they're missing everything he's actually doing. Kind of like this thread, literally, in a nutshell.

[Edit: I see a mod edited in the whole thing for context and original article link, thanks!]

I don't really get the courage comment. How is Trump going to make Paul Ryan and the Republicans in congress who are safe as houses in their gerrymandered districts agree to the type of massive infrastructure spending Bannon wants?

They shouldn't resist infrastructure spending. But the quote isn't about that. Paul Ryan and the rest of the GOP have been massive pushovers for Trump the entire campaign, and there's no reason to believe they won't continue to bend to Trump's will during his presidency. We'll see how much resistance McConnell and friends will offer for his cabinet appointments, for example.

Bannon is right on the money when he calls the moneyed elite in this country myopic. They did destroy the middle class. But he's wrong to blame it on globalization. Globalization did not destroy the middle class, our unchecked greed is what did us in.

Curufinwe

They shouldn't resist infrastructure spending. But the quote isn't about that. Paul Ryan and the rest of the GOP have been massive pushovers for Trump the entire campaign, and there's no reason to believe they won't continue to bend to Trump's will during his presidency. We'll see how much resistance McConnell and friends will offer for his cabinet appointments, for example.

Ryan called him a racist and didn't campaign for him most of the time.

Raven117

Gotta hand it to him...at least he knows how he is viewed. There is freedom in that.

I am NOT a supporter of Bannon. (Please re-read that)....Re-read it again.

however
“The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia. The issue now is about Americans looking to not get f—ed over. If we deliver—” by "we" he means the Trump White House "—we’ll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we’ll govern for 50 years. That’s what the Democrats missed, they were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It’s not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about.”
This isn't an inherently incorrect statement. Hell, its why both Bernie and Trump were against the TPP.

I would suggest anyone to read this interview Bannon gave. Though it does nothing to quell any concerns about him being an anti-Semite or another other race baiter, it does give more insight into how he thinks.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfede...entire-world?utm_term=.wkJqJDKmko#.elQ7mjPWLg
And its his thinking that will be advising the President...Not the labels we give him.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So, great, a quote taken out of context in order to paint him as a simplistic cartoon villain and distract from his actual (trillion dollar smokestack...) policy intentions, when the quote is A METACOMMENTARY ABOUT HOW EMPOWERING HIS DISMISSAL AS A CARTOON VILLAIN IS.

Davidion

As a Sanders/Clinton supporter who has ALWAYS advocated the path of cautious vigilance, I read through the original article and yeah, this thread reflects exactly what he says.

He has whatever agendas he has, and he's willing to plow through whatever social graces and convention in order to do it. While some/most/all of it might be outright disgusting, disastrous, you name it, his opposition (ie. the left) is too busy being shocked, dismissive, and quarreling amongst each other to actually do anything about it.

Mere outrage gets us nothing. Every other comment in this thread: "But...but...why... how can he..." Yeah, he can. Your response is?

I fully support the protests racking up; yet it's a hard fight at this point.

One thing for sure is that the Democratic party HAS to transform itself into the party of economic populism. They can't let Bannon take that mantle away from them if they want to win in 2018 and beyond.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So, great, a quote taken out of context in order to paint him as a simplistic cartoon villain and distract from his actual (trillion dollar smokestack...) policy intentions, when the quote is A METACOMMENTARY ABOUT HOW EMPOWERING HIS DISMISSAL AS A CARTOON VILLAIN IS.

You see, we on the left are always right about stuff. No need to examine our own behavior or comprehension of things. Outrage works great as a default emotion.

wildfire

Banned
Even with the mod edit I still think Evangelicals are a joke for backing TRump if this is the type of advisor he has near him.

They wanted power and didn't fully understand what they were getting for it.

Red

Bannon is right on the money when he calls the moneyed elite in this country myopic. They did destroy the middle class. But he's wrong to blame it on globalization. Globalization did not destroy the middle class, our unchecked greed is what did us in.
the irony is that Bannon is a millionaire, elite himself

nacimento

In his mind he probably exchanged economic for social.

So in America the game, u get to the last level boss and fight trump. After a 3 part boss battle, it is revealed that the round cloaked man known as Bannon was advising Trump the whole time, having him carry out his devious plots.

It turns out you as the main character were too weak and naive, losing the battle, plunging the world into 50 years of chaos and turmoil.

The naivety comes from the player seeing Bannon the whole time but not being able to comprehend that he has loyal followers and his words have had weight for a significant amount of time before it was too late

aeolist

Banned
there's no way he'll actually get a good infrastructure bill passed. if he gets anything it'll be a massive handout to big construction companies with lots of privatization and graft at every level.

He may believe himself to be whatever he wants, he is also selectively ignoring that the adjective he rejects, 'alt-right', is relevant to a great part of the -genuinely hateful- people he got to vote that way. Ignoring that is not being smart, it's playing with fire and expecting not to get burned. Similarly, going after infrastructure seems.. quaint when other matters are more pressing ( "we'll rule for 50 years", I doubt that). And lastly, the narrative he's trying to sell of Clinton betraying the worker class (which neglects the push for 15 dollar minimum wage among other things in the Democrats program after Sanders) is in part a narrative sold and created by the very media outlets that he owns, that being breitbart.

So echo chamber or not, I would still not feel comfortable taking his word on anything. Also, protesting and governing are very different things. I do look forward to him realizing that in the coming years too.

I keep thinking we're in some kind of weird alternate universe or something.

Something just went horrible wrong, guys. Something broke.

Makonero

So in America the game, u get to the last level boss and fight trump. After a 3 part boss battle, it is revealed that the round cloaked man known as Bannon was advising Trump the whole time, having him carry out his devious plots.

It turns out you as the main character were too weak and naive, losing the battle, plunging the world into 50 years of chaos and turmoil.

The naivety comes from the player seeing Bannon the whole time but not being able to comprehend that he has loyal followers and his words have had weight for a significant amount of time before it was too late

i prefer the timeline where the main character goes back in time to warn people and trump is never elected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom