• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Eden coming June 14 for Xbox 360, PS3 Release date info coming later

The fact that the makers are so in bed with kinect and MS at this point for a multiplatform game is really putting me off.

It would be ridiculous if it didn't have move support at this point.

derFeef

Even the 360 Boxart is geared towards Kinect. I like it and can not wait for this. Volume up, lights off, dive in. *drools*

_dementia said:
...has the Sony motto "make.believe"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGTmWCU-BFA
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Worst marketing campaign ever. I don't see why Sony has to have that logo on everything they make now. Gets very annoying to look at. It's even on their HDMI cable boxes. Christ.
Every time I see that logo or someone makes mention of it, I think of that shitty Weezer album.

Anyway, hope it does have Move support. Seems like a no brainer, but it's also never been confirmed either. (That I'm aware of.) And I agree this should have been a downloadable game.

Zoe

_dementia said:
Sony Music and Computer Entertainment are separate entities I thought

Sony artists were the first to widely support Blu-ray.

(and still are really the only ones to consistently support it)

Empty

Maleficence said:
The fact that the makers are so in bed with kinect and MS at this point for a multiplatform game is really putting me off.

It would be ridiculous if it didn't have move support at this point.

normally i'd agree but this game is basically being sent to die at full price retail, so any promotion assistance from a platform holder that can help the game not completely bomb at retail and ensure mizaguchi gets to keep making the games he wants is fine by me.

Dabanton

[Nintex] said:
Ever since this was shown it looks like a game Kinect was made for. I'm still not sure if I want Kinect just for this game but I'm certainly picking it up since the visual style is just that awesome.

Even that video posted looks more involving than it would with just a controller (And before anyone jumps down my throat, it's no problem if that's your preference)

But from the latest reports from game writers all of whom were playing the Kinect version the word is that it feels right and plays great.

Fucking June:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - PS3 - June 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3DS - June 7
inFamous 2 - PS3 - June 7
Shadows of the Damned - PS3 - June 7
Child of Eden - 360 - June 14

StuBurns

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Fucking June:

American McGee snubbed.

StuBurns said:
American McGee snubbed.

Don't particularly care for his work.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
GameStop shows October, Amazon has a placeholder date of Dec 31. Where are you getting the June date for Ace Combat?

Was going by a date I say on Wikipedia but I guess it was a placeholder too.

I NEED a soundtrack for this game! Like Seriously, SOMEBODY needs to make this happen.

On topic about the actual game, it looks incredible graphics wise and from everything I have heard, it plays well with Kinect so that is another plus. I seriously hope that this game is $40 or less. I agree with everyone that $60 would just kill it at retail.

But I am there day 1

StuBurns

Banned
Zoibie said:
Not surprised that it's full price. Hope the PS3 version doesn't come too late after 360, if it IS because of Move support then that shouldn't take too long, right?
I really don't believe it'd cause any delay at all. It'd be using the pointer for a cursor and the Move button for targeting/firing. Sounds like it'd take hours not months to implement. However if it's to have 3D support, that I could see being a technical hurdle, although still hardly delay worthy.

I think 'money hatting' is a lot more likely, and smart on part of Q, Ubi and MS.

Huff

Banned
Maybe this game will give me some hope in the future of Kinect games. At worst, it will make start up the system for the first time in months and give me a couple hours of fun.

I assume MS will market this as an exclusive for kinect, how does everyone think the sales will compare to the kinect heavy hitters - sports and dc?

Suzzopher

Looks like I'll double dip. One 360 for the Kinect experience(and to use Kinect for the first time since New Year's eve) and PS3 as I always thought Rez should be played with a pointer.

Dabanton

BroHuffman said:
Maybe this game will give me some hope in the future of Kinect games. At worst, it will make start up the system for the first time in months and give me a couple hours of fun.

I assume MS will market this as an exclusive for kinect, how does everyone think the sales will compare to the kinect heavy hitters - sports and dc?

Not a chance of touching those it's much too abstract. The potentially good news for it is that probably because of Kinect more people i.e new gamers may actually give it a chance.

I hope we get a demo before release.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What do people think of its chances at retail?

Personally I highly doubt Kinect is going to help it much at all, a lot of people seem to find the whole psychedelic light-show aspect a turn-off.

I hope it does well myself, but if I was a betting man I would give it long odds of making its money back because, quite simply, its not a mainstream effort.

Takao

Banned
PSGames said:
I would prefer a 3DS version myself.

Wasn't Q-Entertainment the studio that dissed the 3DS before it was even unveiled? They're also on the NGP's giant developer list.

Ridley327

Clear said:

Personally I highly doubt Kinect is going to help it much at all, a lot of people seem to find the whole psychedelic light-show aspect a turn-off.

I hope it does well myself, but if I was a betting man I would give it long odds of making its money back because, quite simply, its not a mainstream effort.
I don't know about the game not making its money back; it's not like Q? Entertainment ever broke the bank with the budgets on their previous games, and this honestly doesn't look to be any different. Marketing could be a different story, but I doubt it's a super expensive game to begin with.

As for its chances at retail, I don't think anyone should be optimistic, regardless of how closely associated it is with Kinect; it's a game that appeals to a very small audience and I don't think there's anything that Ubi Soft can do about that.

Huff

Banned
Clear said:

There are huge amounts of people that love that shit. I assume many of them would think kinect is slang for a new drug rather than a videogame system though

Ridley327

BroHuffman said:
There are huge amounts of people that love that shit. I assume many of them would think kinect is slang for a new drug rather than a videogame system though
If that were the case, huge amounts of people would have bought Rez HD.

Or, hell, Rez in the first place.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Fucking June:

Plus E3 shinanigans!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
StuBurns said:
I think 'money hatting' is a lot more likely, and smart on part of Q, Ubi and MS.
Really? I feel like this is such a small game to be pulling those money hat shenanigans, especially if it's going to retail at $40-60 (!).

edit: hey, I was gonna say shenanigans first!

Donos

StuBurns said:
MS have been associating the game with Kinect pretty strongly, they probably recognized people's excitement and thought it warranted a co-marketing deal or something.

and they certainly don't wan't the move version to come out at the same time with reviews showing how you can do more with the move version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think its fairly obvious that its in Ubi's best interests to associate CoE with Kinect as strongly as possible. A psychedelic on-rails shooter is not boxed-product fodder in the current market,
no matter how good looking or well-reviewed it turns out to be.

They are hoping that some of Kinect's "magic" rubs off on them.

That's how marketing would see it I'm sure.

Putting some space between the 360 and PS3 releases is a good way to emphasise the connection, and annoying as it is, probably the best business plan.

StuBurns

Banned
chubigans said:
Really? I feel like this is such a small game to be pulling those money hat shenanigans, especially if it's going to retail at $40-60 (!).

edit: hey, I was gonna say shenanigans first!
Well so far the 'hardcore' showing on Kinect has been near nothing, and although it's sold great, it hasn't touched the full install base of the 360. If MS are willing to push this as they would a first party core audience Kinect exclusive, I imagine it benefiting everyone.

I think if true, it's really good news because I see this project as destine to crash and burn brutally otherwise. Rez is one of my favorite games, and I think if this bombs like Rez did, we won't be seeing a Rez 3 in ten years.

Ridley327

Clear said:
I think its fairly obvious that its in Ubi's best interests to associate CoE with Kinect as strongly as possible. A psychedelic on-rails shooter is not boxed-product fodder in the current market,
no matter how good looking or well-reviewed it turns out to be.

They are hoping that some of Kinect's "magic" rubs off on them.

That's how marketing would see it I'm sure.

Putting some space between the 360 and PS3 releases is a good way to emphasise the connection, and annoying as it is, probably the best business plan.
If worse comes to worst, they have those assuredly monster sales that are guaranteed for the Kinect version of Michael Jackson: The Experience next month to soften the blow. :)

Dabanton

Donos said:
and they certainly don't wan't the move version to come out at the same time with reviews showing how you can do more with the move version.

Out of interest what more can you do in the Move version?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
snoopeasystreet said:
Now they just have to announce Child of Eden: Rave edition and pack in some ecstasy and a large bottle of water.

E hasn't been the drug of choice in clubland for 5-10 years now. :p

Opiate

snoopeasystreet said:
Fuck timed exclusivity. Fuck all exclusivity for that matter.The only thing exclusivity helps is the console manufacturers. Power to the people!

I don't agree with this: as platforms continue to diversify, I think that significant value can be lost from multiplatform games.

We have motion control systems (Kinect, Move, Wii), "Traditional console" systems (360, PS3), touch screen systems (phones), handhelds with hybrid traditional/touch options, and of course Mouse and Keyboard.

I think there is significant value to be had for consumers when games are built exclusively and deliberately around one of these control schemes. Creating it for multiple control schemes often results in a product that is okay-for-everyone-but-not-ideal-for-anyone.

Of course, that's not at all the case here. Timed exclusivity still requires the game to function with multiple control methods while still limiting the game's audience. It's the worst of both worlds: limit the audience, but still limit the controls.

Opiate said:
I don't agree with this: as platforms continue to diversify, I think that significant value can be lost from multiplatform games.

We have motion control systems (Kinect, Move, Wii), "Traditional console" systems (360, PS3), touch screen systems (phones), and handhelds with hybrid traditional/touch options, and of course Mouse and Keyboard.

I think there is significant value to be had for consumers when games are built exclusively and deliberately around one of these control schemes. Creating it for multiple control schemes often results in a product that is okay-for-everyone-but-not-ideal-for-anyone.

Of course, that's not at all the case here. Timed exclusivity still requires the game to function with multiple control methods while still limiting the game's audience. It's the worst of both worlds: limit the audience, but still limit the controls.

Yeah, I agree entirely. If you're designing a game with a certain control scheme in mind, it probably should require that control scheme and not be ported to something else just for the sake of a wider market.

It's when a game that could easily be made for multiple platforms (first person shooters for example) but is exclusive to one because of business practices that irks me. It's only giving less choice to a consumer who only has one platform.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm certainly not for third party exclusives when there are other viable platforms that exist, but the industry is seriously hurting, hemorrhaging cash from a single major release can crush a studio, and if a first party is willing to throw their weight behind a title, and it's going to keep a studio healthy for longer, it should be welcomed.

It's not perfect, but it can be needed at this point. Unless of course you're Denis Dyack and you just get money thrown at your incompetent company.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StuBurns said:
I really don't believe it'd cause any delay at all. It'd be using the pointer for a cursor and the Move button for targeting/firing. Sounds like it'd take hours not months to implement. However if it's to have 3D support, that I could see being a technical hurdle, although still hardly delay worthy.

I think it would be using the Move just like it uses your hand with Kinect. Instead of tracking the hand, it tracks the sphere, but you'd still have to aim via position based tracking (a la Beat Sketcher, Auditorium HD) whilst autofiring and fire "missiles" with a forward gesture of your hand. Imagine playing the Kinect version holding a Move but doing the very same gestures basically.

This is unless they want to completely change the feeling of the game.

Buttons would be used to switch fire modes (when you clap in the Kinect version) and other minor stuff probably.

JWong

Banned
Wasn't the last thing we heard about Move for this game is when Mizuguchi said he didn't have the dev tools for it or something?

Which I think is full of crap given how widely accessible it is.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JWong said:
Which I think is full of crap given how widely accessible it is.

Yeah, I thought the very same back then.

Its clear MS plans to turn this into a Kinect exclusive, and Ubisoft to profit from the extra marketing push.

I wonder if Sony has even tried to avoid this. They seem focused on letting small devs do the Move exclusives instead. Which is really hurting them IMO.
PlayStation Move Heroes is terribly boring game. Lots of 5 or less incoming I'm afraid

Top Bottom