• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Eden coming June 14 for Xbox 360, PS3 Release date info coming later

v0yce

This game is one of the reasons I got Kinect (had to replace a broken 360 so went ahead and got a Kinect bundle), but if it has move support I'd probably get it for PS3. The idea of playing Rez with move seems awesome and this seems similar to Rez

Guess I'll have to wait for reviews/impressions.

Agent X

JWong said:
Which I think is full of crap given how widely accessible it is.

I agree with you and TTP on this. The "uncertainty" seemed plausible at the time, but at this late in the game, if they still haven't decided whether they want to use Move or not, then I'm inclined to think they might not
(for one reason or another)

TTP said:
Its clear MS plans to turn this into a Kinect exclusive, and Ubisoft to profit from the extra marketing push.

Yep.

This seems like one of the few games out there that (if given proper development and testing) could work equally well on both Move and Kinect, utilizing each controller's unique capabilities without seeming out of place on either one. Gamers could then decide for themselves which of these schemes is better suited to the game, according to their personal preferences.

It looks like Microsoft trying to persuade them to avoid releasing a Move-enabled version. I'm not opposed to having a extra marketing push for Kinect, but to deny the game to Move players altogether would be a sad turn of events.

TTP said:
I wonder if Sony has even tried to avoid this. They seem focused on letting small devs do the Move exclusives instead. Which is really hurting them IMO.
PlayStation Move Heroes is terribly boring game. Lots of 5 or less incoming I'm afraid

Well, I'm not entirely sure about that--a small developer did Sports Champions, and that turned out very well. Some of the Move-oriented games on PSN are great, too. The retail Move games, though, they're all over the place in terms of quality.

I agree about PlayStation Move Heroes, though. The individual events in the demo seemed to play OK on their own, but at the same time the total package feels disjointed, like a bunch of minigames without a cohesive "glue" to hold them together.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Agent X said:
I agree about PlayStation Move Heroes, though. The individual events in the demo seemed to play OK on their own, but at the same time the total package feels disjointed, like a bunch of minigames without a cohesive "glue" to hold them together.

The full game is just like the demo. You do that stuff over and over again without any increase in complexity and depth. Just more stuff to fight/collect. It's super easy too. Getting gold medals at first attempts. If it wasn't for the interesting shooting controls implementation, I wouldn't even be working on a video analysis.

Kafel

Banned
Agent X said:
It looks like Microsoft trying to persuade them to avoid releasing a Move-enabled version. I'm not opposed to having a extra marketing push for Kinect, but to deny the game to Move players altogether would be a sad turn of events.

It would be even sadder for Ubi to get poor sales.

It's a niche disc based game. No need to add extra difficulties by having to support the game on two platforms. Accept MS help and ride the Kinect wave.

The game will still be good for PS3 users next year.

TheOddOne

Agent X said:
Isn't this normal for something to be timed exclusive? I saw nobody bat a eyelash when EA gave exclusive content to PS3 multi-platform games or Ubisoft for that matter. Then people said it was because those publishers where "supporting" the PS3, while we all know those where bought. Those deals prevented that content to go to the other platforms, so whats the difference between those deals and this deal?

DireStr8s

this is not how you persuade me to buy a 3rd party game for my ps3 (hello valve!). i know its just politics, but its bad politics for me & i ain't buying.

Kafel said:

It's a niche disc based game. No need to add extra difficulties by having to support the game on two platforms. Accept MS help and ride the Kinect wave.

That doesn't even make sense, this game needs to be multiplat in order to sell more. Unless you were being sarcastic.

Grisby

They need to put this in Kinect kiosks at Best Buy or something. Bet a lot of people starved for software would pick it up. That or the fact that it would simply blow minds and eyes.

There has been a lot of multiplatform decision that doesn't make sense, but it happens. There is exclusive commercials, DLC, Demos, and recently exclusive trailers...

Agent X

Kafel said:

Well, it depends on how you define "poor sales". Would the game sell better as an Xbox 360/Kinect exclusive (either timed or full exclusive), or as a multiplatform release?

As a Kinect exclusive, they will lose much of the PS3 crowd. The PS3 fan base has never been fond of late and/or crippled "downports" and I don't see this being an exception. I'm a big fan of some of Mizuguchi's previous games like Rez, Lumines, and Every Extend Extra, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a deliberately crippled version of the game if I know that the designer's heart is not fully into it.

The flip side of this is that the Xbox 360 base might embrace the game more for its exclusiveness. However, as you admitted, this is a niche game. Would a possible small bump in Xbox 360 purchases offset a potentially larger loss of sales on the PS3 side?

Kafel said:

It might be "good", but I'd prefer that it be "superlative". Like I said, I wouldn't be inclined to buy the game if the developers truly didn't devote their best efforts to it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheOddOne said:
Isn't this normal for something to be timed exclusive? I saw nobody bat a eyelash when EA gave exclusive content to PS3 multi-platform games or Ubisoft for that matter. Then people said it was because those publishers where "supporting" the PS3, while we all know those where bought. Those deals prevented that content to go to the other platforms, so whats the difference between those deals and this deal?

Not all content is the same I guess. We are talking the whole game, not just extra stuff. In the examples you mentioned, both platforms had the main game simultaneously. With Child of Eden, it's 360 first with Kinect support and PS3 later with maybe/maybe not Move support.

It's still normal behaviour as you said. I agree with that. But it's not the same as one platform getting some extra over another.

will probably wait for some more solid hands-on with the game and kinect, but i guess i'm gonna have to buy a 360 and a kinect this june :)

TheOddOne said:

That was exclusive content not the whole game getting delayed. For all we know the PS3 version of Child of Eden may never be released at all. at least it could be a minor timed-exclusive which could be horrible for the PS3 version if it is released during the holiday period at worst we could be looking at a last remnant situation which it probably won't be. Its nice for a title like this which so far has been connected at the hip with kinect to get help from microsoft but, its a double edged sword you get the help with marketing and stuff but you kill the potential of the PS3 version with the delay to sell to its fullest. Delayed games on one platform usually sell worse than if they were to be released day and date with the other platform.

TheOddOne

Jmanunknown said:
That was exclusive content not the whole game getting delayed. For all we know the PS3 version of Child of Eden may never be released at all. at least it could be a minor timed-exclusive which could be horrible for the PS3 version if it is released during the holiday period at worst we could be looking at a last remnant situation which it probably won't be. Its nice for a title like this which so far has been connected at the hip with kinect to get help from microsoft but, its a double edged sword you get the help with marketing and stuff but you kill the potential of the PS3 version with the delay to sell to its fullest. Delayed games on one platform usually sell worse than if they were to be released day and date with the other platform.
Yeah, thats is a good/bad thing. But if the game is good, even praised, I have no doubt it will sell good later on the PS3.

elektrixx

Banned
Clear said:
What do people think of its chances at retail?

Personally I highly doubt Kinect is going to help it much at all, a lot of people seem to find the whole psychedelic light-show aspect a turn-off.

I want it to be more of a lightshow, but epilepsy wimps are wrecking these games for everybody.

Wipeout HD's Zone Mode looked really great once.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheOddOne said:
Yeah, thats is a good/bad thing. But if the game is good, even praised, I have no doubt it will sell good later on the PS3.

I dunno. I have no clue about how they sold, but I doubt games like BioShock and Mass Effect 2 sold that well on PS3.

The thing is when an old game is re-released on another platform you simply don't get enough attention from the media as you get on its first release. Mags and websites don't rerun their game X interviews/previews/videos/covers when that game gets re-released on another platform. Sure they report about it, but clearly it's not the same kind of coverage you get pre-first release. Hence less exposure and less sales.

Look at Dead Space Extraction as another example of media apathy about re-releases. I had a blast playing it with the Move but most people hardly even bothered checking it out. And look at the reviews out there:

Wii version: 76 reviews
PS3 version: 7 reviews

Mind you Extraction is a PS3/Move exclusive too as far as "next gen" consoles go. And a great one at that. And you get it for free with DS2!

But this has more to do with the shitty Sony marketing more than anything really.

Dabanton

Agent X said:
Well, it depends on how you define "poor sales". Would the game sell better as an Xbox 360/Kinect exclusive (either timed or full exclusive), or as a multiplatform release?

As a Kinect exclusive, they will lose much of the PS3 crowd. The PS3 fan base has never been fond of late and/or crippled "downports" and I don't see this being an exception. I'm a big fan of some of Mizuguchi's previous games like Rez, Lumines, and Every Extend Extra, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a deliberately crippled version of the game if I know that the designer's heart is not fully into it.

The flip side of this is that the Xbox 360 base might embrace the game more for its exclusiveness. However, as you admitted, this is a niche game. Would a possible small bump in Xbox 360 purchases offset a potentially larger loss of sales on the PS3 side?

It might be "good", but I'd prefer that it be "superlative". Like I said, I wouldn't be inclined to buy the game if the developers truly didn't devote their best efforts to it.

But... and i don't want to have to dig up the old threads. People who were predominately PS3 owners were adamant that the controller was the only way that they'd be playing such a game. The idea of any motion control was an outrage. So how would that mean that the game would be a "crippled downport".

Yes it may arrive later but you'd still be playing it with a controller.

Huff

Banned
TheOddOne said:

Like ME2?

Edit: There is no way you think selling under 100k of a AAA game is good?

TheOddOne said:
Selling 79k and unknown digital copies is still something that sold well, even with no promotion.

@TTP: Good overview. Yeah, kinda get why people are so bummed out.

79K for a game that was GOTY is good?

Isn't No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise now a PS3 exclusive in the west? You win some, you lose some, just deal with it.

At least you'll get to play it later.

Discusguy

The game has always been showed off with Kinect. Makes me think this game will play better with the Kinect. I'll be there day 1 to support these types of niche games. It'll actually be my 3rd kinect game.

I'll be kind of surprised if this game doesn't totally flop. Should be interesting enough. And I'm not saying this because of any kind exclusivity thing. I mean it on all platforms. Then again the definition of flop could vary considering I doubt it was expensive to make the game.

Ridley327

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'll be kind of surprised if this game doesn't totally flop. Should be interesting enough. And I'm not saying this because of any kind exclusivity thing. I mean it on all platforms. Then again the definition of flop could vary considering I doubt it was expensive to make the game.
Like I said earlier, it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that they're going to spend more on marketing than Q? did making the game.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Isn't No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise now a PS3 exclusive in the west? You win some, you lose some, just deal with it.

At least you'll get to play it later.

I do believe No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise is PS3 exclusive in the west. Theres a difference between No more Heroes: Heroes' Paradise and Child of Eden No More Heores is a port of a Wii game and Child of Eden is not. Also i'm not meaning to be pessimistic about this but, have they even demoed the PS3 version? Everytime they have demoed the game its been the xbox 360 version and now it gets delayed for the PS3. I just hope its not to long of a delay I don't wanna see the game get crushed under the weight of the big holiday releases on the PS3.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'll be buying it day 1 to support Q, though I probably won't get a chance to play it until a few months later.

EDIT: This GiantBomb guy is sweating just waving his arms around. Is he nervous or is this how he normally is?

Aruarian Reflection said:
I'll be buying it day 1 to support Q, though I probably won't get a chance to play it until a few months later.

EDIT: This GiantBomb guy is sweating just waving his arms around. Is he nervous or is this how he normally is?
Giant Bomb? Definately sweat.

Empty

yeah i want to support q as they are one of my favourite developers but it's really hard when i don't think the game looks that good so i'm just buying on reputation, when loads of other games come out at the same time and i know it'll be half price within weeks in all likelihood.

Dabanton

Aruarian Reflection said:

Kinect can be a nice workout. I 've had Kinect Sports sessions that have left me floored.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure how to feel about not having an avatar on screen and having a HUD element displaying health instead. That just seems wrong.

Top Bottom