• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China is getting fucked by the new Corona Virus, consoles will probably be delayed

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't think this will delay the consoles at all. Limit supply perhaps, but not delay. Time to get those pre-orders into GameStop!

Kazza

Thank you! :lollipop_crying::messenger_heart:

WTF happened? Looking at the thread you could be forgiven for thinking that you logged on to ResetEra by mistake: the dogpiling, the virtue signalling, the trying to score points by dunking on others and therefore displaying one's own moral superiority...all we need now is an accusation that the OP being racist and maybe even a ban for "racism, playing down concerns affecting Asian people of color, false equivalence, history of previous infractions" and we have Era bingo!

This is the view from my apartment in northern China. If you look closely at the bottom right hand of the picture, you will notice the police car guarding the entrance to one of the buildings in my apartment complex. That's because the whole building (and everyone living inside) have been quarantined for 14 days, due to a lady coming back from Wuhan with the Virus and subsequently infecting her son (who lives in a separate apartment in the building next to mine, which is also now under quarantine). So far, they are the only two in my little area, and the city as a whole has only had a couple of hundred cases and 1 death, so the we are nowhere near Wuhan in terms of the damage the pandemic is causing but it still strikes close to home when you can see the effects outside of your window (and, in common with most Chinese people, I have been pretty much confined to my apartment and immediate neighbourhood for the past 2 weeks).

FCZEVCl.jpg
joaKb5d.jpg

Now, if the OP had written a really whiny and self-unaware post, fair enough, go ahead and criticise (to a fair degree), but he didn't and doesn't deserve some of the fake outrage he has been getting. Come on, we're not Era, we are better than this.

As an antidote to the moralising, here is a classic Adam Smith quote from The Theory of Moral Sentiments. Before casting any stones at the OP, can anyone here honestly say that this doesn't apply to them?

“Let us suppose that the great empire of China, with all its myriads of inhabitants, was suddenly swallowed up by an earthquake, and let us consider how a man of humanity in Europe, who had no sort of connection with that part of the world, would be affected upon receiving intelligence of this dreadful calamity. He would, I imagine, first of all, express very strongly his sorrow for the misfortune of that unhappy people, he would make many melancholy reflections upon the precariousness of human life, and the vanity of all the labours of man, which could thus be annihilated in a moment. He would too, perhaps, if he was a man of speculation, enter into many reasonings concerning the effects which this disaster might produce upon the commerce of Europe, and the trade and business of the world in general. And when all this fine philosophy was over, when all these humane sentiments had been once fairly expressed, he would pursue his business or his pleasure, take his repose or his diversion, with the same ease and tranquillity, as if no such accident had happened.

The most frivolous disaster which could befall himself would occasion a more real disturbance. If he was to lose his little finger to-morrow, he would not sleep to-night; but, provided he never saw them, he will snore with the most profound security over the ruin of a hundred millions of his brethren, and the destruction of that immense multitude seems plainly an object less interesting to him, than this paltry misfortune of his own. To prevent, therefore, this paltry misfortune to himself, would a man of humanity be willing to sacrifice the lives of a hundred millions of his brethren, provided he had never seen them?

Human nature startles with horror at the thought, and the world, in its greatest depravity and corruption, never produced such a villain as could be capable of entertaining it. But what makes this difference? When our passive feelings are almost always so sordid and so selfish, how comes it that our active principles should often be so generous and so noble? When we are always so much more deeply affected by whatever concerns ourselves, than by whatever concerns other men; what is it which prompts the generous, upon all occasions, and the mean upon many, to sacrifice their own interests to the greater interests of others? It is not the soft power of humanity, it is not that feeble spark of benevolence which Nature has lighted up in the human heart, that is thus capable of counteracting the strongest impulses of self-love. It is a stronger power, a more forcible motive, which exerts itself upon such occasions. It is reason, principle, conscience, the inhabitant of the breast, the man within, the great judge and arbiter of our conduct.”

I would personally find losing my little finger a pretty big fucking deal (maybe having a slight headache would be a more apt comparison for modern times - those 18th century people were tough!), but Smith's thought experiment is very apt, especially as it also concerns China.

To answer the OP's original question, I don't think it will delay the release of next-gen consoles. Outside of Wuhan, the actual number of infected is pretty small (China does have a population of almost 1.4 billion after all), and some factories have already started going back to work (albeit at staggered intervals). However, I do think it is possible that there may be shortages, so it might be wise to pre-order early on if you want your console by Christmas.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You have to. And are you really comparing this to dismember and skinning a live fucking dog before cooking it?
Not sure where you are getting the skinned alive part from. I don't think that makes any sense when they usually just kill them brutally fast. But there has been videos of dogs being boiled alive so maybe in certain places this does happen. Better ask Chairman Tickles Chairman Tickles about this shit and to see if he has eaten dog while in China. There are also activists trying to stop people from eating pets but the Chinese feel like they are shitting on their culture. Which is stupid right? Shit is regional either way but the country does eat a shitloads of dogs yes. It doesn't mean Chinese people aren't "human" braaaaap.

Dacon

Banned
You should be more concerned about the virus spreading more globally.

What's happening to China could easily happen to the States or the UK with all of the travel between nations going on and the incubation periods varying wildly between people.

Hinedorf

Banned
WTF happened? Looking at the thread you could be forgiven for thinking that you logged on to ResetEra by mistake: the dogpiling, the virtue signalling, the trying to score points by dunking on others and therefore displaying one's own moral superiority...all we need now is an accusation that the OP being racist and maybe even a ban for "racism, playing down concerns affecting Asian people of color, false equivalence, history of previous infractions" and we have Era bingo!

This is the view from my apartment in northern China. If you look closely at the bottom right hand of the picture, you will notice the police car guarding the entrance to one of the buildings in my apartment complex. That's because the whole building (and everyone living inside) have been quarantined for 14 days, due to a lady coming back from Wuhan with the Virus and subsequently infecting her son (who lives in a separate apartment in the building next to mine, which is also now under quarantine). So far, they are the only two in my little area, and the city as a whole has only had a couple of hundred cases and 1 death, so the we are nowhere near Wuhan in terms of the damage the pandemic is causing but it still strikes close to home when you can see the effects outside of your window (and, in common with most Chinese people, I have been pretty much confined to my apartment and immediate neighbourhood for the past 2 weeks).

FCZEVCl.jpg
joaKb5d.jpg

Now, if the OP had written a really whiny and self-unaware post, fair enough, go ahead and criticise (to a fair degree), but he didn't and doesn't deserve some of the fake outrage he has been getting. Come on, we're not Era, we are better than this.

As an antidote to the moralising, here is a classic Adam Smith quote from The Theory of Moral Sentiments. Before casting any stones at the OP, can anyone here honestly say that this doesn't apply to them?

I would personally find losing my little finger a pretty big fucking deal (maybe having a slight headache would be a more apt comparison for modern times - those 18th century people were tough!), but Smith's thought experiment is very apt, especially as it also concerns China.

To answer the OP's original question, I don't think it will delay the release of next-gen consoles. Outside of Wuhan, the actual number of infected is pretty small (China does have a population of almost 1.4 billion after all), and some factories have already started going back to work (albeit at staggered intervals). However, I do think it is possible that there may be shortages, so it might be wise to pre-order early on if you want your console by Christamas.

Holy fucking shit........ so on the positive I guess you got a lot of downtime on your hands for games, what have you been up to under quarantine?

Last edited:

Kazza

Holy fucking shit........ so on the positive I guess you got a lot of downtime on your hands for games, what have you been up to under quarantine?

Haha, yep, it's been doing wonders for my backlog! Apart from that, I've tried to take the opportunity to read more, practice guitar, do some yoga, watch all the movies I normally don't have the time to watch, plus my culinary skills have seen a massive improvement (restaurants in China are both delicious and cheap, meaning I don't usually cook much here, but since they are all now closed, I don't have much choice).

While I would obviously prefer to be able to go about life as normal, I'm trying to stay positive and make the best of a bad situation. Things should begin to slowly return to normal where I am over the next couple of weeks, although for poor Wuhan, it'll probably be at least 3 months (probably much longer)

Convicsik

Holy triggered gaf Batman. Is the stalling of manufacturing electronic and gaming consoles / products not a relevant topic ? Everyone in hear acting like OP said that the Chinese are terrible people for dying.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What is this bastardization? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Holy triggered gaf Batman. Is the stalling of manufacturing electronic and gaming consoles / products not a relevant topic ? Everyone in hear acting like OP said that the Chinese are terrible people for dying.
5 people is everybody?

SpartanN92

Banned
The economic side effects of this virus can not be understated.
Our supply chain distribution model exists on a “just in time” system and while this virus affects the worlds largest manufacturing nation it will have severe impacts here.

Not sure where you are getting the skinned alive part from. I don't think that makes any sense when they usually just kill them brutally fast. But there has been videos of dogs being boiled alive so maybe in certain places this does happen. Better ask Chairman Tickles Chairman Tickles about this shit and to see if he has eaten dog while in China. There are also activists trying to stop people from eating pets but the Chinese feel like they are shitting on their culture. Which is stupid right? Shit is regional either way but the country does eat a shitloads of dogs yes. It doesn't mean Chinese people aren't "human" braaaaap.

I've seen caged dogs ready for the kitchen in Guizhou and further south. Also gutted cats hanging off hooks ready for prep. At the same time I saw pet/family dogs prancing around the cages. The dogs in the cages are farmed and of a very specific breed. It's a cream/apricot coated breed with thick fur. They look like wild dogs, or really fury Australian dingos. They are popular cuisine in China's minority regions, the closer you get to Vietnamese border the more you see of the old 'exotic' cuisine. Maybe there's different breeds, but that's the only one I saw in the space of 2 months last time I was down south.

FCZEVCl.jpg
joaKb5d.jpg

To answer the OP's original question, I don't think it will delay the release of next-gen consoles. Outside of Wuhan, the actual number of infected is pretty small (China does have a population of almost 1.4 billion after all), and some factories have already started going back to work (albeit at staggered intervals). However, I do think it is possible that there may be shortages, so it might be wise to pre-order early on if you want your console by Christmas.

Do they let you out every second day for shopping? A friend in Shenzhen says that's how they do it there. The security is a joke though, he's already left the housing estate consecutively day after day when the guards change they don't know who's been out the day before. The quarantine is no joke, the spread of the virus has seriously stalled outside of Wuhan. It should be stricter but they don't have the manpower to track everyone coming and going.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Not really though. It has a significantly lower mortality rate and is far less widespread than the common influenza strands this season.

Is that really true? I’ve never heard of anyone dying from the common flu.

Are those numbers being pulled from third world and anti-vaxxors to get that high?

C4lukin2

Banned
Well hopefully, the virus is contained, and nobody else dies from it. Not a logical scenario, but a best case scenario.

The positive could be that the big electronics companies move away from China when it comes to production.

I for one would gladly take a 10 to 25 percent increase in price, if it meant getting away from China. Which I think is totally plausible.

Last edited:

whyman

I agree that the situation will likely cause a delay and then a shortage. Even if the situation gets under control sometime in the summer. The effects will be felt. We might get 2 new consoles next spring instead. How crazy is that!

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Some here are having a mental illness.. OP was only posting something related to gaming .. we all care about our family our friends.. do not attack him for posting in a gaming site !!

This info was for the people who is highly expecting to get next gen console with all of this and absolutely when it comes to life and death we all don't care about machines .. everything can be replaced but humans life

So stop this sh!t assholes

Last edited:
Are we ResetEra now? Trying to twist people's words to shame them and be outraged.

He never said that. But this is the gaming section, so it makes sense to discuss how world news can effect video games.

Why not just go into every thread and tell everyone to stop talking about video games because there's a bunch of bad shit going on in the world.
Yep. That was my immediate thought coming into this thread and reading the first 10 or so responses. Can these outraged sacks kindly fuck off out of the thread?

OP explained himself yet you stil have people willing and eager foaming at the mouth ready to tear into him.

As for my opinion on Coronavirus. I'll just day that of you sell wild animals for consumption, you're practically begging for trouble. Add to that the communist shithole that is China and you have a recipe for disaster that even their government is trying to cover up. Disgusting from them and hope their people fight against censorship and other human rights freedoms they are being denied.

Also the people who have an issue with my comment can kindly fuck off.

Last edited:

Kazza

Do they let you out every second day for shopping? A friend in Shenzhen says that's how they do it there. The security is a joke though, he's already left the housing estate consecutively day after day when the guards change they don't know who's been out the day before. The quarantine is no joke, the spread of the virus has seriously stalled outside of Wuhan. It should be stricter but they don't have the manpower to track everyone coming and going.

Yep, one person from each household, once every two days. Here is the type of pass they give out (I'm keeping this one as a souvenir - assuming I make it out alive!):

tOnrHkt.jpg

The security at my place is no joke. All entrances except one has been closed. You have your ticket checked when you come back, plus you have to write your details down both when you leave return. The thing I don't like about that is the fact that everyone is using the same pen to write their name, address etc. It seems to me that the pen itself could easily become a source of infection. I think the security guy is supposed to log the details himself, but in common with many older Chinese people, he probably doesn't have too much an education and so doesn't know how to write some of the less common characters. Next time I make a grocery run I'm going to bring my own pen, just to be on the safe side.

That's what you're worried about?
A lot of people dead and you're worried about consoles getting delayed?
Not to be insensitive to your console plight, I would consider the losses of life in China far more significant than the console creation/distribution crisis.
Fuck all those people dying from it, give me my electronics, amiright? Disgusting.
That's off topic discussion, here we care and mourn about the effects people dropping like flies has on our precious gaming hardware releases. Smh.
Can ya'll bitches kindly fuck off out of the thread with your bullshit.
We are here to discuss a topic.
OP has contributed to the coronavirus OP and explained his intentions starting this thread.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Really?

It kills 10's of thousands every year.

Do you yourself know anyone personally that has died from the flu?

You’d think with those sorts of numbers it would be common to hear about someone dying from the flu.

But for me, nope. Nobody.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yep. That was my immediate thought coming into this thread and reading the first 10 or so responses. Can these outraged sacks kindly fuck off out of the thread?

OP explained himself yet you stil have people willing and eager foaming at the mouth ready to tear into him..
Thats because they didnt read the OP, but only the title.

Most people we here have are touched by what is happening in china currently, but that doesnt mean we need to stop our lives and stop discussions about other things related to the outbreak.
If all people thought like them, no company would take preparations due to the repidly chaning marked and thus literally run into an open knife.

Last edited:

Pallas

Last year, Nintendo moved Switch production to Vietnam.

It's almost like they saw it coming :messenger_face_screaming:

I think MS and Sony still use Foxconn though.

If I recall, several south eastern Asian countries, like Vietnam for example are sort of becoming mini made in China factories, because it’s cheaper.Since China’seconomy has blossomed so much and so quickly, it’s no longer the cheapest place for labor.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Really hoping that the consoles don't get delayed because im ready to move on to next gen hardware. I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft have taken precautions for this situation and if anything, will move production out of China if they haven't already.

FCZEVCl.jpg
joaKb5d.jpg

Yep.

That's perfectly put. My exact experience on that forum and what I see happening on this topic.

I'm expecting the consoles to get delayed. Either way it's more important to get this virus under control asap. Thing is the media are making out this virus to be some of like zombie infection that you can't come back from once infected which means your basically fucked.
Not liking that this virus is played up to such an extent. The common cold or flu kills more people each year. Either way I hope something gets done soon and the health organisation has said they should have a vaccine soon.
Take extra care China gaf members.

yurinka

It's always sad to see all this people ill or dead. But even if we constantly see it in the news as if it was the apocalypse, compared to other diseases, the issue doesn't seem to be that big. I look forward for them to get it under control very soon with vaccines and so on.

Do we know in which city do they build the PS4s, XBO and its components? I assume they will use the same ones for PS5 so probably are in areas not affected by the virus. So maybe don't affect it. In any case, I'd obviously prefer to have the consoles delayed than to put workers in unnecesary risk. Safety first.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is that really true? I’ve never heard of anyone dying from the common flu.

Are those numbers being pulled from third world and anti-vaxxors to get that high?
Not sure if serious but many people that treat the flu like nothing and keep going about their day die from it each year.

bitbydeath

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But my question was do you actually know of anyone who died from the flu?
No. Why would I? So far 10,000 people have died from the flu but our population is around 330 million. The chances of me knowing said people aren't very high. To put it in perspective more than 90 people die every day via car crashes and even then I only know 2 people that have died via a car crash through other people.

bitbydeath

No. Why would I? So far 10,000 people have died from the flu but our population is around 330 million. The chances of me knowing said people aren't very high. To put it in perspective more than 90 people die every day via car crashes and even then I only know 2 people that have died via a car crash through other people.

That’s my point though. Over the near 40 years I’ve been alive I don’t know anyone who’s died from the flu.

Road accidents yes, that appears far more common. So the numbers are likely skewed to old people, 3rd world countries and anti-vaxxers.

MagnesG

Banned
Not really though. It has a significantly lower mortality rate and is far less widespread than the common influenza strands this season.
How do you estimate the mortality rate when it is a special case? There's still no successful vaccine produced (only tests) and even with quarantines+prevention methods being done tightly the death counts are still rapidly rising.

Last edited:

nush

I've seen caged dogs ready for the kitchen in Guizhou and further south. Also gutted cats hanging off hooks ready for prep. At the same time I saw pet/family dogs prancing around the cages. The dogs in the cages are farmed and of a very specific breed. It's a cream/apricot coated breed with thick fur. They look like wild dogs, or really fury Australian dingos. They are popular cuisine in China's minority regions, the closer you get to Vietnamese border the more you see of the old 'exotic' cuisine. Maybe there's different breeds, but that's the only one I saw in the space of 2 months last time I was down south.

@SLoWMoTIoN looks like you're another victim of his LARPing as a Chinese nationalist. He's Australian.

XyJC7Z1.png

Jtibh

Banned
DISCLAIMER: YES A LOT OF PEOPLE IS DYING AND THE WORLD IS IN DANGER BECAUSE OF THIS DISEASE, I KNOW! AND I'VE POSTED IN THE OT MANY TIMES WORRIED ABOUT IT AND ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE DYING. BUT THIS IS THE GAMING SIDE AND I WANTED TO EXPLAIN WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE INDUSTRY WE LOVE. THAT'S ALL.

Like @OsirisBlack commented yesterday, things in China are pretty bad and the CCP has not been giving us convincing numbers... here's the update for today.

If this thing does not get controlled soon the consoles and probably a lot of electronics production will be affected.

Just follow coronavirusoutbrake on twitter and you will see the truth.

Also today formula 1 was ,for now cancelled and.....man just too much shit. Just today 254 died . Way way higher than any other day.
Olympics are next.
Today the goverment allowed for workers to go back to the factories and guess what, 2 got the virus or had the virus and now they quarantined the factory with 200 people in it.

And we worry about console releases?

I never buy a console again if it means these people get healthy again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
More people die from flu. But this still could get dangerous.
Stop acting like You all care about china. Ofc the consoles will be delayed because of this. I work with a china company and they straight up dont even respond to emails and never returned from their new year

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
More people die from flu. But this still could get dangerous.
Stop acting like You all care about china. Ofc the consoles will be delayed because of this. I work with a china company and they straight up dont even respond to emails and never returned from their new year
They are on holiday rn I think.

Top Bottom