• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese-American grandpa fatally shot by security guard while playing Pokemon Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raguel

This guy has serious mental issue. I refuse to believe otherwise.
Fuck this. Saying he has a mental issues laughs in the face of the millions of people who suffer from mental illness and work hard everyday to maintain a normal life. The guy is a murdering piece of shit. Simple as that. Fuck him.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I didn't realize this had gotten an update. I'm just going to comment on one thing:
The association maintains it was for unarmed services, but the security company's attorney has said it was for both armed and unarmed services, and that it was up to the company to decide which to provide.
That is bullshit. Security companies itemize services to get more money out of clients, armed services is specified in a contract and costs much more than unarmed service. No contractee is ever going to leave it up to the contractor to decide on their own when they will charge more, the contract is drawn and the rate is set. The client has a budget for security service, and the contract that is drawn up has to fit into that budget. They hired armed service or unarmed service, there's no way they gave the security company carte blanche to decide which service on what day and why.

drspeedy

God I hope he represents himself!

rick-and-morty.jpeg

Doran902

I had a really hard time wrapping my mind around this one because most security guards here in Canada aren't allowed to carry guns (other than jewellery or banks / cash i believe) and I can't possibly think of what kind of threat this man presented that would cause this to ever happen.

Nydius

New update on the case:

Despite his new attorney arguing that his client should be charged with a lesser crime, the security guard, Cromwell, has been indicted on the higher charge of first-degree murder rather than the original charge of second-degree murder. He also now has a second connected charge of using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Apparently the district attorney feels there's enough evidence to prove that Cromwell acted with premeditation.

His trial is slated to begin in late September.

Now I really wonder what they have on him, and hope it's enough for that charge to stick, because he'll walk if they trumped the charge up too much.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's very odd. I don't think I've ever heard of a charge escalating to something higher. Usually it's de-escalating something to something easier to convict.

There must be some serious dirt there if the attorney thinks he can be convicted for more.
Probably the idea.
I certainly hope not, though it's possible. :(

LiK

Damn, they must have something damning to do this. I wonder if there are cameras that recorded something.

Goofalo

That's very odd. I don't think I've ever heard of a charge escalating to something higher. Usually it's de-escalating something to something easier to convict.

There must be some serious dirt there if the attorney thinks he can be convicted for more.

I certainly hope not, though it's possible. :(

I can only surmise something came up in discovery. Maybe social media posts, or something that came out of depos.

New update on the case:

Despite his new attorney arguing that his client should be charged with a lesser crime, the security guard, Cromwell, has been indicted on the higher charge of first-degree murder rather than the original charge of second-degree murder. He also now has a second connected charge of using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Apparently the district attorney feels there's enough evidence to prove that Cromwell acted with premeditation.

I know it's bad to think this way, but I'm sort of relieved that the update wasn't just "HE GOT AWAY WITH IT!"

_Ryo_

New update on the case:

Good.

Nydius

Premeditation? He was camping to shoot the grandpa?

Doesn't necessarily have to be camping. Could just be that they think they can prove that he willfully decided to shoot the guy knowing that he didn't pose a threat. Or something to that effect.

Now I really wonder what they have on him, and hope it's enough for that charge to stick, because he'll walk if they trumped the charge up too much.

I hope this isn't the case. I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking what they have and trying to use that to leverage a stronger plea bargain. I do agree in that I hope they aren't setting themselves up for a fall.

bionic77

Premeditation? He was camping to shoot the grandpa?
It goes to the state of the mind of the guy when he killed the victim.

It means some planning was involved, which is why the punishment is that much more severe.

Even if they don't get him on 1st I am sure they will nail him on 2nd degree.

Because it is such a fucked up and high profile crime I doubt he is even going to get a chance to plea bargain. This guy is going to jail for a very long time.

Izuna

Banned
This thread was a fucking rollercoaster to read from start to finish.

Been in the KFC toilets the whole time.

I'm... Happy for the result. Fuck this dude. I just don't understand how anyone would do this.

KillLaCam

Banned
Why did a security guard have a gun? How would a language barrier make you shoot someone through the windshield? "Oh he's arguing with me in another language, guess I should shoot him because he's confusing me" .

This is probably the dumbest excuse ive seen in a situation like this.

Edit: Just saw the charge increase. Good

Volimar

Probably should have stuck to second degree.

Are you saying the prosecutor is overcharging to help the guy get off?

I don't know if you know anything about juries (I'm an expert) but juries are given fairly specific instructions depending on the charge. If they can't make something like premeditation stick for the juries, there's a good chance they'll end up hung or even acquit.

It goes to the state of the mind of the guy when he killed the victim.

It means some planning was involved, which is why the punishment is that much more severe.

Even if they don't get him on 1st I am sure they will nail him on 2nd degree.

Because it is such a fucked up and high profile crime I doubt he is even going to get a chance to plea bargain. This guy is going to jail for a very long time.

I don't know if once he's charged and arraigned on First he can be found guilty of Second. Hence the fear of potentially over charging

Might be wrong though

Dhx

Probably should have stuck to second degree.

I don't know if you know anything about juries (I'm an expert) but juries are given fairly specific instructions depending on the charge. If they can't make something like premeditation stick for the juries, there's a good chance they'll end up hung or even acquit.

Well, yes and no. In some instances, the jury is able to find for a lesser charge. Second degree could still be on the table. But my question was more to the asinine assertion that the prosecuter would up the charge to help the accused in any way whatsoever.

Lebron

Showing a history of "wanting to kill someone", be it social media posts, search history, etc can show previous intent. Being a Secruity Guard, it wouldn't surprise me if this guy attempted to be a cop and was denied after failing the psych evaluation for being a complete nut. Back when I worked loss prevention before college, half the people there fell into that category. Glad they didn't have a license to carry...

Well, yes and no. In some instances, the jury is able to find for a lesser charge. Second degree could still be on the table. But my question was more to the asinine assertion that the prosecuter would up the charge to help the accused in any way whatsoever.

Second degree murder is a lesser included offense of first degree murder in Virginia. If the evidence doesn't support first the jury will be instructed to instead consider convicting on second degree. It also includes lesser includeds all the way down so even if they don't get murder they still have voluntary or involuntary manslaughter. But a homicide is usually prima facie for second degree murder and it's up to the defendant to drag the jury back down to voluntary or involuntary manslaughter.

Gattsu25

Banned
New update on the case:

Hopefully he gets the conviction.

Dhx

Second degree murder is a lesser included offense of first degree murder in Virginia. If the evidence doesn't support first the jury will be instructed to instead consider convicting on second degree. It also includes lesser includeds all the way down so even if they don't get murder they still have voluntary or involuntary manslaughter. But a homicide is usually prima facie for second degree murder and it's up to the defendant to drag the jury back down to voluntary or involuntary manslaughter.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Virginia's statutes.

Dead Man

Well that seems utterly reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom