• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese groom arrested over fake wedding guests

Chinese source:
http://news.cnwest.com/content/2017-05/02/content_14808957.htm

During their 3 year relationship, he has burrowed 1.25 million RMB (around 180k USD) from her family. Initially, he asked for 400k, then another 850k later to "buy a car". He didn't buy any car. When confronted about the money, he claimed he had spent it all. She did write an IOU note when lending him the money.

Why can this be considered fraud? (the reason he got arrested)
Apparently they didn't register for a marriage certificate, so legally they are not married even had the wedding went through. Since they aren't married and there's an IOU, their relationship can be considered as one between a lender and burrower.

Chinese source:
http://news.cnwest.com/content/2017-05/02/content_14808957.htm

During their 3 year relationship, he has burrowed 1.25 million RMB (around 180k USD) from her family. Initially, he asked for 400k, then another 850k later to "buy a car". He didn't buy any car. When confronted about the money, he claimed he had spent it all. She did write an IOU note when lending him the money.

Why can this be considered fraud? (the reason he got arrested)
Apparently they didn't register for a marriage certificate, so legally they are not married even had the wedding went through. Since they aren't married and there's an IOU, their relationship can be considered as one between a lender and burrower.

What would he need 1,25million for?!

slider

My first thought was that maybe he already had a wife and so couldn't ask his parents / siblings to attend. Weird.

This is an awesome idea.

I'm going to hire Ian McKellen to be my teacher in wizardry, Richard Armitage as my close friend and a king of a faraway kingdom, and Sean Bean as my father who will die on the day of the wedding due to an orc attack.

Busty

Banned
Nothing here makes sense.

2586872-0454264871-tumbl.png

Savitar

Based on the money he was getting and spending from her family it was either an attempt to scam her and get into money which sounds likely from this.

Or he's shit with his money for the most part and he's really embarrassed by his family/friends who may not be "sophisticated" enough.

But going with scammer.

erragal

Number one rule of the marry into a rich family grift is to actually get the paperwork signed. What an amateur.

Temp_User

I think the bride's family panicked and brought in the police after realizing that the groom (and probably the bride, herself) is doing a scam due to the fake guests. Somewhat understandable to me.

Top Bottom