• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese man caught with 500 imprisoned cats destined for restaurants

Why should there be laws in China about eating dog and cat meat? If they're processed like any other "animal meat", I don't see the problem with it.

Yes stealing other people's pet sucks, and people should be punished for doing that.

I never called you a dog eater. I pointed out that the lack of laws in China against eating cats and dogs is a problem. In addition to the animal cruelty involved in the process. The racism claim is a straw man.

Eating cats and dogs is culturally unacceptable in the US, laws or not. But to shore things up, US Congress is floating the Dog and Cat Meat Prohibition Act of 2017. Taiwan recently passed a ban as well. I think people should campaign for China to do the same thing so you people like you don't have to deal with the perception that it's a culturally accepted practice in China. That was the entire point of my argument.

Why should it be banned? :s

Unless you're proposing we ban meat eating in general, but I strongly doubt that's where you're going with this.

Why should there be laws in China about eating dog and cat meat? If they're processed like any other "animal meat", I don't see the problem with it.

There are. But just as in Europe, you will have "farms" that treat the animals like shit and then there are normal ones. There are less and less though, because the young generation also doesnt like to eat it because of similar reasons in the west. Dogs/Cats are pets.

Ah. I see. There are still usually protests then surround it. Still wonder why such festival is really necessary, especially because of the cruelty surrounding that.

There are. But just as in Europe, you will have "farms" that treat the animals like shit and then there are normal ones. There are less and less though, because the young generation also doesnt like to eat it because of similar reasons in the west. Dogs/Cats are pets.

I meant like in China lol. If they're being treated like normal farms, I don't see the issue, but whether they're actually doing that is a different discussion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The fact that you would say something like "Is dog so tasty that Chinese people can't resist having big doggy cookouts" is racist enough.

China doesn't care that a minority of its population wants to eat dog. It doesn't care that eating dog is culturally unacceptable in the West, because guess what, it doesn't need to adopt Western practices for everything. The fact that you are so condescending towards Chinese people for eating dog in the first place shows your ethnocentrism and ignorance.

What the Chinese government needs to do more of is ensure that the dogs that are consumed are treated as humanely as possible, and ensure that people who steal pets to sell are also punished. The Yulin Dog Meat Festival was definitely inhumane in some of the ways that the dogs were slaughtered, and was thus rightfully banned. China does not need to ban all dog eating to please your fragile Western sensibilities. What you need to do, however, is to stop shaming China and Chinese people for the cultural practices of a small minority of its population.
I think the fact that people (of any race) are celebrating cooking dogs is gross and the language reflects that. If people disagree with me then that's fine. Doesn't make me a racist for believing that. I don't know why you keep bringing race into this.

The Yulin festival was not banned. The festival continues, despite protests and petitions. Dog meat sales at the festival are just now done under the table. If you want to defend the practice then that's fine too. But there's no need to make it a race issue.

I think the fact that people (of any race) are celebrating cooking dogs is gross and the language reflects that.

I can see by your avatar and the name, why you think that is, but what would be the difference if they are treated like other farm animals?
People have rabbits as pets, people love horses and still eat that meat. And horses are also quite smart animals, similar to dogs, cats and pigs.

I mean people are celebrating cooking other meat too in western culture. BBQ festivals are a thing.

wandering

Banned
I never called you a dog eater. I pointed out that the lack of laws in China against eating cats and dogs is a problem. In addition to the animal cruelty involved in the process. The racism claim is a straw man.

Eating cats and dogs is culturally unacceptable in the US, laws or not. But to shore things up, US Congress is floating the Dog and Cat Meat Prohibition Act of 2017. Taiwan recently passed a ban as well. I think people should campaign for China to do the same thing so you people like you don't have to deal with the perception that it's a culturally accepted practice in China. That was the entire point of my argument.

Lmao the backtrack

I think the fact that people (of any race) are celebrating cooking dogs is gross and the language reflects that. If people disagree with me then that's fine. Doesn't make me a racist for believing that. I don't know why you keep bringing race into this.

The Yulin festival was not banned. The festival continues, despite protests and petitions. Dog meat sales at the festival are just now done under the table. If you want to defend the practice then that's fine too. But there's no need to make it a race issue.

Dude, your first post was inflammatory and you know it. "DOGGY COOKOUTS"? Please.

If you eat any other kind of meat, then you are being hypocritical. There are people who don't eat cow, for example, for similar reasons as why you don't eat dog. You don't see them posting all the time about how _____ people are BARBARIC and BACKWARDS, ____ PEOPLE GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I can see by your avatar and the name, why you think that is, but what would be the difference if they are treated like other farm animals?
People have rabbits as pets, people love horses and still eat that meat. And horses are also quite smart animals, similar to dogs, cats and pigs.

I mean people are celebrating cooking other meat too in western culture. BBQ festivals are a thing.
That is true. I'm a big hypocrite! But I would object to a festival where they beat, boil or skin the pigs alive because they think the fear makes the meat tastier. I would object to people stealing pet pigs to eat them. I would object if the pigs were treated cruelly or inhumanely.

But other than that, you're fundamentally right. The line between pigs, cats and dogs is biased and completely arbitrary. I just happen to like cats and dogs too much to eat them.

That is true. I'm a big hypocrite! But I would object to a festival where they beat, boil or skin the pigs alive because they think the fear makes the meat tastier. I would object to people stealing pet pigs to eat them. I would object if the pigs were treated cruelly or inhumanely.

But other than that, you're fundamentally right. The line between pigs, cats and dogs is biased and completely arbitrary. I just happen to like cats and dogs too much to eat them.

I can get that. Your post just seemed judgemental about everyone who eats dogs/cats, not the festival.

I guess no one will even approve of beating cats/dogs, boiling them alive, skinning them alive ec.
Chinese themselves dont really eat it (and it is really a minority... its like saying every German eats horse, because its a specialty in my hometowns area) and if, its mostly the really old generation, that "got used" to eat those thanks to the cultural revolution.

MUnited83

For you.
Hopefully he gets jailed for a truckload of time.

Not seeing the issue with Carrefour selling clearly labeled dog meat though. Ain't no fucking different from selling cow meat, pig meat, etc.

Youtube or Google factory farms, man. Unless you're eating that USDA Organic and Free Range stuff, most of the meat on your dinner table comes from animals that were raised in atrocious conditions. Basically locked in cages, force fed, pumped with unhealthy antibiotics just to prevent them from getting sick in extremely unsanitary conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vqIGTKuQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeA2jkctxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6l40N59yE

There are a lot of barbaric practices in the world in terms of the way we treat animals. I understand your point about whataboutism, but it's extremely intellectually dishonest to pinpoint a specific animal eating cultural practice as cruel, when there are just as many cruel practices that happen elsewhere, just with different animals. The dog eating thing just happens to otherize Chinese people as somehow inhumane and barbaric, and is unnecessarily xenophobic. This isn't the first time people have posted about dog/cat eating in China, and every time its the same type of comments, CHINA DON'T CARE, Chinese people are BACKWARDS, etc etc.

Wazzy

Banned
What a piece of scum this man is. Completely fucked up.

I also don't see why there can't be a discussion as to better treatment of these animals? It just seems like a lot of people want to make excuses for the treatment and eating of these animals yet there is many people IN China who are against this. In the west I'm completely against the selling and eating of cats and dogs however I won't judge other countries for doing it. I just won't support the cruelty imposed on the animals much like I'm against the west's treatment of pigs, cows and chicken. Not everything is black and white and I think both sides go way too far to prove their point.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Youtube or Google factory farms, man. Unless you're eating that USDA Organic and Free Range stuff, most of the meat on your dinner table comes from animals that were raised in atrocious conditions. Basically locked in cages, force fed, pumped with unhealthy antibiotics just to prevent them from getting sick in extremely unsanitary conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vqIGTKuQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeA2jkctxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6l40N59yE

There are a lot of barbaric practices in the world in terms of the way we treat animals. I understand your point about whataboutism, but it's extremely intellectually dishonest to pinpoint a specific animal eating cultural practice as cruel, when there are just as many cruel practices that happen elsewhere, just with different animals. The dog eating thing just happens to otherize Chinese people as somehow inhumane and barbaric, and is unnecessarily xenophobic. This isn't the first time people have posted about dog/cat eating in China, and every time its the same type of comments, CHINA DON'T CARE, Chinese people are BACKWARDS, etc etc.
Oh, the American meat industry is terrible. Anyone here could make a thread about how bad it is and I would agree wholeheartedly. America has to either fix that or own it. But criticizing the American meat industry isn't an attack on America or Americans. That's my main point here.

Azuran

Banned
I just hugged and kissed both my little ones.

db3SRmU.jpg

Kinda shit backwards shit is that, eating cats and dogs being legal?

Dog owners are so embarrassing. Gotta find another excuse to post a random picture of your dogs, eh?

MsKrisp

Did someone for reals just make a racist generalization, then said not to make this about race, or have I been clubbed over the head? Is blissful slumber next?

Oh, the American meat industry is terrible. Anyone here could make a thread about how bad it is and I would agree wholeheartedly. America has to either fix that or own it. But criticizing the American meat industry isn't an attack on America or Americans. That's my main point here.

You need to make your language more clear then. When you open your argument saying "IS DOG TOO TASTY FOR CHINESE PEOPLE TO STOP HAVING BIG DOGGY COOKOUTS", then yea, some people like me will take it as an attack on Chinese people and Chinese culture.

I'm all for calling out inhumane practices. Animal cruelty is disgusting, I'm with you man. This guy deserves to go to jail for smuggling all those cats. However, I'm also going to call out posts that I feel are disrespectful to Chinese people (your doggy cookout comment), are ethnocentric (all cat eating is bad and cat eaters are morally depraved) or xenophobic (OP saying he's only eating veggies and noodles in China).

ITT: casual racism against Chinese people.

Did you know that there are villages in Switzerland where people eat dog too? Or that there are dog eating cultures all throughout Africa, Asia and South America? And that maybe, with a population of 1.4 billion people (more than all of Europe and North America combined), you might have different regions with different culinary practices, and you shouldn't label all Chinese people "dog and cat eaters"?

GTFO with that "only eating vegetables and noodles in China" xenophobic bullshit.

i'm chinese. was not aware of this. thanks.

im about 95 percent sure I saw a man with a dog following him sniffing the back of his left on the street in china one day. I'm overly observant anyways and most people there simply arent

he walked behind a restaurant wall that connects to the sidewalk and suddenly picked up the animal and took it quickly inside.

It honestly looked liked he had lured and stole the animal imo

Animal cruelty is widespread and doesn't appear to be stopping anytime soon in China, unless you happen to be a panda.

As an aside, as a Chinese guy born in Canada, I was subject to this awful stereotype in a small town (like 99% white) when I was growing up through high school. Nothing beats being accused of cooking or eating cats when you owned a cat and dog yourself as you were growing up, and feeling disgusted at that notion.

Of course, it didn't help that I had an issue with expressing my anger about it then since I thought being angry was like "losing" and it'd just make things worse (which is hilarious in retrospect since silence made things just as bad anyway and so did suppressing my anger).

Edit: Lol when I think back - if I was in still in high school right now, I'd get made fun of right away the next day if someone brought up the article. "Did you guys hear about the guy who was caught with 500 cats?" "Oh it was probably Hydragon! LOL!" The sad part is that it's likely happening to some other quiet asian kid whose parents decided to live in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Trojan X

Banned
When I was in China the food was delicious. That means cat and dog is delicious. I am ok with that.

I guarantee you that human meat would taste delicious too in their hands. Does that still make it still ok?

I do not believe it is wise for you to base your argument strictly on the taste of food.

vern

ITT people that don't know anything about China discuss what's best for china...

The fact that it's a news story and one of the first lines is that ordinary people are alarmed should alert you to the fact that it's not normal in China but I guess that's too difficult to figure out for a lot of you.

Anyway, those talking about how fucked up the culture is here in China, a few months back when that dude live streamed to Facebook the murder of that old dude, a bunch of my Chinese friends and colleagues asked me wtf is wrong with Americans, how can we be so cruel, why are we allowed to use guns so freely, why is our culture so backwards, etc...

You can eat dog here. You can eat just about anything here. A dog is no better or worse than a cow or a chicken. Stealing the pets and stray animals is the problem. The dude is a criminal. Criminals in every country do criminal activities. Most people don't eat cats or dogs, especially the youth of China and any age person from the main cities won't eat those animals, because they are pets, same as any other "civilized" country. Go to bumfuck West Virginia I'm sure you'll find Appalachian dudes eating road kill and other varmints.

Stop being racists / xenophobes / morally superior ignorant dummies.

I've had dog here in the U.S. and have probably had cat without knowing when I ate at that Chinese restaurant in Tijuana that got busted for serving cat. It's kinda hypocritical that we can eat some animals and not others just because they are pets when any animal can be a pet. Only thing I think is fucked up is stealing others people's pets.

Being crammed into tiny cages awaiting death is fine too? This isnt a China specific problem either.
Is that any different than the non-cage free chicken I buy at an American supermarket? Most people don't seem to have a problem with it considering how well that stuff sells.

Is that any different than the non-cage free chicken I buy at an American supermarket? Most people don't seem to have a problem with it considering how well that stuff sells.

Like I said, its not China specific. If you're fine being most people nothing can be helped really.

Heinous to take other people's pets like that.
I don't have any hangup about eating cute animals, though. Cows and pigs are as adorable as they are delicious.

MUnited83

For you.
I guarantee you that human meat would taste delicious too in their hands. Does that still make it still ok?

I do not believe it is wise for you to base your argument strictly on the taste of food.
Dogs and cats are not human and their lives are worth exactly as much as every other single animal. There is no difference between eating cow, pig, cat or dog.

Whales

Banned
Hopefully he gets jailed for a truckload of time.

Not seeing the issue with Carrefour selling clearly labeled dog meat though. Ain't no fucking different from selling cow meat, pig meat, etc.

This.

Im still waiting on an explanation as to why eating cow/pig/chicken meat is ok but dog and cats aren't. Literally no one here said why except that crappy "b-but they're our companions!"

Yeah, horses are comapnions too, people still eat them...

Oh yeah, also chickens, cows and pigs are treated like literal shit in american farms. Why are you all acting like eating them is "morally superior"?

pigeon

Banned
Dogs and cats are not human and their lives are worth exactly as much as every other single animal. There is no difference between eating cow, pig, cat or dog.

Excuse me? You'd better believe there's a huge difference.

Specifically, the level of marbling. You need to use a totally different level of heat to get the right cook. Also I'd probably want to change up the sauce.

I have not actually eaten dog or cat, despite the stereotypes, but I don't see any reason to treat them differently

Except in terms of temperature

jayu26

What's wrong with eating pussy?

Edit: dude was straight up stealing pets and keeping them in terrible condition. Regardless of what you think, I think we can all agree that it is good they caught him.

Top Bottom