• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle Is Being Sued by Its Shareholders

Ironicaly, a lot of the issues Chipotle is having is because of their insistence to keep high quality and fresh ingredients. It just makes their whole supply structure so much more complicated and nuanced. But also much more vulnerable to contamination like we've seen.

I'm guessing this is going to be part of an effort for them to go a cheaper route with shittier quality ingredients like most other fast food chains.

Barzul

But here the lawsuit is against the corporation as well, not just the directors/officers. So it clearly can't be a derivative suit, which is when shareholders sue on behalf of the corporation, because the corporation cannot sue itself. Another tipoff is that it is a class action for all shareholders against the corporation and directors/officers, not a shareholder bringing suit on behalf of the corporation, which would not be designated as a class action.

Admittedly, I don't know much about this type of law either, other than the Business Associations class I took in law school. But it appears to not be a derivative suit to me.

Yeah you were right. I didn't realize board of directors were considered 3rd parties.

darscot

What would be the point of suing a company your a shareholder in, you are basically suing yourself. This seems like a really stupid thing to do. They must be trying to short the stock or something.

Taco Bell right now:

BgavWcF.png

Ironicaly, a lot of the issues Chipotle is having is because of their insistence to keep high quality and fresh ingredients. It just makes their whole supply structure so much more complicated and nuanced. But also much more vulnerable to contamination like we've seen.

I'm guessing this is going to be part of an effort for them to go a cheaper route with shittier quality ingredients like most other fast food chains.

Ironically, for all those who hate on Chipotle, they are one of the only fast food chains pushing the trend to use real, fresh ingredients. By hoping for their demise, you are hoping for the return of shit quality, "shelf stable" fast food.

Ironically, for all those who hate on Chipotle, they are one of the only fast food chains pushing the trend to use real, fresh ingredients. By hoping for their demise, you are hoping for the return of shit quality, "shelf stable" fast food.

Don't they push non-GMO stuff? Which is of no benefit to anyone and if anything uses more resources, etc.? More land, more water, more food/fertilizer, more pesticides? On average at least? Not to mention most, if not all food has been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture - just in uncontrolled and accidental ways.

Unlikely. They'll be dead in no more than 5 years tops.

I'm not convinced, most people at my work still eat at Chipotle, even claiming that their "shorter lines are more convenient". Anecdotal, but I still don't see Chipotle closing, too many people like eating Mexican food without having to go to a Mexican restaurant

Xiaoki

Might be Qdoba's time to shine.

Or Panchero's.

Or Moe's.

Seriously, a Chipotle just opened a block from me a couple weeks ago and it is by far the worst of the bunch.

At this point it seems like Chipotle's only claim to fame is bad food.

jmdajr

But if fresh food is getting you sick, what's the point?

It's like folks who insist on drinking RAW milk. Why in the Fuck? I'm pretty sure that's not going to benefit me.

Granted I'm exaggerating a bit and I love options that are not just a bunch of processed sugar, but at least for them, seems not to be working.

DOWN

Banned
That's what I said the last time this happened. At some point the negative image sticks, and it's all over but the crying.

Yeah, poor investors not getting their 20% yearly growth.

It's a bump in the road. Investors have gotten too used to gangbusters returns.

Unlikely. They'll be dead in no more than 5 years tops.
Sorry but no, they’ve been growing since the nationwide outbreak and that was all over the place. They are gigantic and global and this was in one spot. They’ll be fine.

Hell, as I’m typing this I got notice their stock is up thanks to how well they grew since the first outbreak

Well thats pretty sad

Safe lab-tested artificial stuff for me I guess

But if fresh food is getting you sick, what's the point?

It's like folks who insist on drinking RAW milk. Why in the Fuck? I'm pretty sure that's not going to benefit me.

Granted I'm exaggerating a bit and I love options that are not just a bunch of processed sugar, but at least for them, seems not to be working.

Except not a lot of people are getting sick, relatively speaking. I've gotten food poisoning from McDonald's when I was younger, but I didn't lose my mind over it.

This is a different era where social media exaggerates problems that are going to happen regardless, especially considering the complicated logistics of distributing fresh prepared food to tens of millions of people daily.

It's good to shine a light on issues needing to be addressed. It's not good to get hyperbolic and throw the baby out with the bathwater, potentially killing a positive trend in the fast food industry.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Here in Canada I stopped going to Chipotle the moment I discovered Burrito Boyz. A lot more food for the same price (and free guac altho they started charging for it a few weeks back)

I doubt Chipotle will go under though, probably going to have tor restructure and do a lot of soul searching.

SexyFish

Banned
Or Panchero's.

Or Moe's.

Seriously, a Chipotle just opened a block from me a couple weeks ago and it is by far the worst of the bunch.

At this point it seems like Chipotle's only claim to fame is bad food.

Moe's is one step above from a dumpster at a sorority's racially insensitive Mexican themed party. I swear the only reason anyone likes it over Chipotle is because they have queso. Everything else is lower quality.

Qdoba is alright though.

Don't they push non-GMO stuff? Which is of no benefit to anyone and if anything uses more resources, etc.? More land, more water, more food/fertilizer, more pesticides? On average at least? Not to mention most, if not all food has been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture - just in uncontrolled and accidental ways.

GMO vs non-GMO is not even related to this discussion. The emphasis on high quality, fresh food (i.e., non-processed/refined) is where the significance lies with regard to Chipotle's fast food legacy.

Plus, the vast majority of GMOs being produced are staple grains used to prop up the production of cheap industrialized meat, which in turn devastates the environment and rapidly accelerates global warming. Only relatively minor investment has gone to improving produce via direct genetic modification.

So, GMOs, used as a tool of capitalism and society's preference for consuming meat at every meal, have actually vastly contributed to and have been enabling an ecological nightmare in practical terms (i.e., via cheap, ubiquitous livestock husbandry).

jmdajr

Except not a lot of people are getting sick, relatively speaking. I've gotten food poisoning from McDonald's when I was younger, but I didn't lose my mind over it.

This is a different era where social media exaggerates problems that are going to happen regardless, especially considering the complicated logistics of distributing fresh prepared food to tens of millions of people daily.

It's good to shine a light on issues needing to be addressed. It's not good to get hyperbolic and throw the baby out with the bathwater, potentially killing a positive trend in the fast food industry.
That's all fair.

I have eaten Chipotle 100 of times and never got sick.

But McDonald's has also never got me sick either.

Killed me slowly? Yeah maybe.

Xiaoki

Moe's is one step above from a dumpster at a sorority's racially insensitive Mexican themed party. I swear the only reason anyone likes it over Chipotle is because they have queso. Everything else is lower quality.

Qdoba is alright though.

I dont know where you live but that is definitely not the story where I live.

Chipotle, Pancheros, Qdoba and Moes are all literally within walking distance of me.

Moes is probably the best and Chipotle is unquestionably the worst.

Laekon

Qdoba will just take its place. I use to go to Qdoba before there was even a Chipotle around me.

Qboba has reduced locations in my part of So Cal. Quick look on Google maps shows 2 in all of LA. There are a lot of Chipotles near me and the few times I go there is always a line.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I guess I can see why people would think Qdoba tastes better than Chipotle, but Moe's? C'mon.

Falchion

I would bet this really won't gain any traction in the courts but it does show that things aren't exactly looking up at Chipotle right now.

Top Bottom