• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choice of Dog -- Shiba or Pug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Shiba is winning.

jbvKcDFnpmpBZ8.jpg

Camwi

A pug would be a good reminder as to how evil dog breeding can be

"Hunting companion" is not necessarily a friend. Dogs used for hunting are ones who rustle prey from their hiding spots and/or retrieve carcases. They serve a specific (and for some) necessary role. Dogs do not need to have a particular "purpose" in order to justify owning one, beyond having a living, breathing accessory.

You misunderstand my comment. I removed the "hunting" from what you said. For most people dogs are a companion. A lot feel that they are actual family members, not a simple accessory.

DonMigs85

Shibas are pretty independent but if you're an experienced dog owner you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Pugs are generally friendly but more prone to health issues and you have to clean their face folds regularly.

Mentok

Banned
The energy levels/exercise routines for these dogs are completely different. Look at which one is more compatible with the dog you have, and your living conditions (pugs are better for apartments than shibas as far as I know).
For example, my keeshond can't stand high energy puppies.

Daria

So many don't want to get a Pug because of health reasons like not every other animal has it's own set of problems.

Anyway, my answer: PUG

Tendo

I love my Shiba, but you should definitely know what you're getting into before you bring one home. Very, very different dogs. I grew up with dogs my entire life--Rottweilers mostly--and having a Shiba is an entirely different experience. Rewarding, but almost equally frustrating.

Very wary around strangers. Not aggressive, not scared, but definitely not friendly. Loves attention but on her own terms. Extremely lazy, except on her own terms. Actually that's a really good across the board description for Shiba's: they only like things on their own terms. At the same time they're incredibly easy to house train and are super clean.

Lots of pros, lots of cons. Just make sure you know that the descriptions you're reading are, for the most part, incredibly accurate. I could not imagine a more stubborn breed.

Shiba's aren't even in the top 50 breeds in America bruh, you're imagining a problem that doesn't exist. They're too expensive and hard to get for that to become an issue. And I think almost everyone in this thread has had theirs pre-meme. Almost everyone that has mentioned owning one on GAF period, actually.

I second everything he said. I love my 5 year old Shiba, and I will always have at least one Shiba in my house but when people tell me how cute he looks I'm quick to tell them that he is NOT a typical dog. They can be more like a cat than a dog, very stubborn and independent. They are not the cuddle monsters that many will want or expect. He loves to snuggle when I get home, and when I go to sleep and here and there but he mostly does his own thing. That said he is the goofiest dog I have ever met and with more personality and intelligance than any other dog I have met. He is amazing, but certainly not for everyone.

Also, I had to do a LOT of work to socialize him around other people. Very shy and wanted his space and would sometimes growl if people got to close. He is ok now but I am still wary the first time new people come over of how he will react.

If you have the time and patience I say go Shiba. If you want a "dog" in the more common sense I'd suggest another breed.

zk3ghfa.jpg

game over shiba

edit: btw, my pug is always so happy he freakin has a skip in his step when on walks. it's the craziest thing.

yuna55

The energy levels/exercise routines for these dogs are completely different. Look at which one is more compatible with the dog you have, and your living conditions (pugs are better for apartments than shibas as far as I know).
For example, my keeshond can't stand high energy puppies.

Shibas are the standard in Japan for apartments. We had 2 and often 3 shibas in our one bedroom apt for three years before we bought our house. They're surprisingly great at figuring out how to get out extra energy in small spaces.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I love Shibas but they come with a really big downside: they're very smart. That may not sound like a problem but being so smart means they get bored easily and find all kinds of unique ways to destroy your house. Unless you have lots of time to spend entertaining them daily or don't mind if they destroy your house/yard several times a week I'd suggest pug.

jts

...hate me...
Pugs, no doubt. I have one and they are amazing, if a bit needy.

Man, I'm missing mine soooo much right now :( He's very far away.

post-23671-pug-puppy-smile-gif-28MV.gif

Much sorry, doge. wow

Ok, I know this doesn't really matter or anything, but what did I misunderstand? You said for most people, dogs are accessories, and I responded that they are not.

Something being an accessory and a something being a companion (as in "a friend") aren't mutually exclusive. "Accessory" means it serves no objective purpose; it's not used for anything and isn't a necessity (aside from being able to say you own a dog). A friend can be an accessory, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Camwi

Something being an accessory and a something being a companion (as in "a friend") aren't mutually exclusive. "Accessory" means it serves no objective purpose; it's not used for anything and isn't a necessity (aside from being able to say you own a dog). A friend can be an accessory, and there's nothing wrong with that.

You know what, I'm sorry I asked. :p

Jake.

i don't like either, but a pug would get on much better with a malinois than a shiba would. malinois and shiba's are very 'head strong' with dominant/protective personalities (malinois especially) and a pug is way more mellow.

ElRenoRaven

Pugs have a ton of health problems, smell bad and make the worst noise ever all the time.

I say Shiba.

You know. We've never had health problems with our pugs. They sure as hell don't smell bad unless they fart (you had better watch out then). The closest they come is that they do have a habit of snorting when excited. Other then that they're just as easy to take care of as any dog. The one exception to this is shedding. They do shed a ton. It's a small price to pay though for an animal that is as loving and funny as they are.

Cheech

What about a Boston Terrier? Great dogs and no dog odor, and they don't usually bark unless there's a "threat."

Had dachsunds, pugs, and Boston Terriers throughout my life. I have a BOston now, and he's a great little dog. Pugs are wonderful little dogs, but their oily skin makes them pretty smelly pretty quickly.

I grew up with my best friend whose mom was a vet, so I got a chance to get to know basically every breed on the planet.

Boston Terriers were my favorite. Just really amazing dogs. Smart, easy to train, loads and loads of personality.

I currently have a mix; half pug, half Boston. Got him from a rescue. Very good dog. I've had about 4 Bostons over the years, and yeah. Check them out if you're interested in a pug. They don't shed like pugs do, either.

Shibas are great if you want a cat, but are allergic to them. Very similar temperaments. Not for me, but I hate cats, so no shock there!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Pugs are really cute and lovely but they have horrible lives. They struggle to breath at all times, they have no brow bones in their eye sockets so they can (and will) scratch their own retina, and they can't even spend more than a few minutes in the sun without risk of death...you shouldn't encourage people to breed them by paying for one. If it's a rescue then good for you, but bare in mind you will be at the vets often.

wtf is this shit? Horrible lives? Death after exposure to the sun? I take my pug to the beach to swim all the time and enjoy 30 min walks in the summer.

Real talk:

Pugs are prone to certain health issues. Hip displaysia, mass cell cancer, yeast infections, and eye issues. Most purebreds will have their own unique health issues tho, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Told a vet friend that I was entertaining the notion of a pug in the future. They then told me about several occasions where the owners had to push an eyeball back into its socket after a sneeze had knocked it out.

I quietly scratched pugs off my list of future breeds to consider.

Kangi

Told a vet friend that I was entertaining the notion of a pug in the future. They then told me about several occasions where the owners had to push an eyeball back into its socket after a sneeze had knocked it out.

I quietly scratched pugs off my list of future breeds to consider.

This does happen, but I've never heard of it happening after a sneeze. It generally happens after use of a choke chain leash.

Which is worth noting. Never, EVER use choke chains on pugs. Harnesses are the best choice when you're walking them.

Don't pugs have pretty bad health problems, similar to English bulldogs and all the breeds with short snouts?

I don't really understand the popularity of them when it's pretty cruel what they're born with.

Apparently their eyeballs can pop out.

Edit: Oh, I'm a little late to this one.

Wazzy

Banned
You know what, I'm sorry I asked. :p
Yeah don't bother. The guy is just spouting dumb shit.

wtf is this shit? Horrible lives? Death after exposure to the sun? I take my pug to the beach to swim all the time and enjoy 30 min walks in the summer.

Real talk:

Pugs are prone to certain health issues. Hip displaysia, mass cell cancer, yeast infections, and eye issues. Most purebreds will have their own unique health issues tho, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

It's pretty weird to act like Pugs are as normal as most purebreds. Pugs have a far higher chance of these health problems and it's pretty cruel to breed a dog that will almost all the time have breathing problems.

They're cute but realistically they should be bred out through mixed breeding.

Apparently their eyeballs can pop out.

Edit: Oh, I'm a little late to this one.

Yeah I heard about that. Such a horrible thing for a breed to have. Ugh I think I would cry and freak out if my dogs eye popped out.

yuna55

I missed this comment.

This is exactly what they are. Japanese breeds in general are dogs for cat people.

I hate cats yet have 3 shibas. Don't know any "cat person" with a shiba, personally, and we're fairly involved with our local group and local rescue.

Such hate

OP don't listen to these generalizing trolls. Out of our three, the only common traits between them are they all snuggle and they're all red, and not even the same exact red color. It all depends on their environment, how you raise them, etc. just like any dog. Their coats are all different, they she'd different amounts, they range from high strung to most laid back mothafucker on the planet, one loves water, the others don't care either way, one barks a lot (high strung protective female), another will bark, the third never barks... Two are way too excited about strangers and the other is deathly afraid of them. One is short and chubby, one is short and thin, one is 40 lbs tall and thin. They all snuggle up to us and will rotate out who is snuggling where. They don't seek attention like a normal dog but they're somehow as lovable if not more. They love playing but will play on their own without needing you to throw a ball or be involved, but are extremely happy when you do play games with them. They run around in a huge circle chasing each other for 5-10 min then back on the couch. We're dog sitting a beagle mix and he's constantly begging for attention. The shibas aren't, but are all still laying on the couch by me, one on my feet and the other two at my side. It's definitely more of a "pack" feel rather than a "hey hey hey hey you get you human you hey you hey throw me that ball k thx."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom