• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

Wasn't that just a misunderstanding. Didn't the guy who wrote it explain it like the joke was on the guy who killed himself in the poem?

Some people needed to believe that Obsidian was full of manly men and tried concocting situations in which Chris Avellone was a bigot that hated gays, women, and transgenered and was being held back by his SJW bosses.

That's what I was referring to. Apparently, him quitting is being used as further evidence that MCA is a paragon among MRAs.

Sober

Some people needed to believe that Obsidian was full of manly men and tried concocting situations in which Chris Avellone was a bigot that hated gays, women, and transgenered and was being held back by his SJW bosses.

That's what I was referring to. Apparently, him quitting is being used as further evidence that MCA is a paragon among MRAs.
This for real?

Lawd have mercy, MRAs are insane.

This for real?

Lawd have mercy, MRAs are insane.

Real as a boulder. The subreddit for Pillars blew the fuck up when the poem got switched, and it wasn't in support of the change. Cries of "SJW" and "Censorship" still ring somewhere deep in those halls.

Stiler

Reassuring but sad at the same time seeing a partnership end after 17 years. MCA, Sawyer, Feargus and Tim Cain are the A team of cRPG's as far as I'm concerned.

People always forget Leonard Boyarsky. After interplay he went to Troika (along with Tim Cain and Jason Anderson) and helped make Arcanum and was the lead designer of Vampire: TMB.

IIRC he works at Blizzard now on the Diablo team.

DTKT

PoE was a pretty good game but it never came close to !!Torment!! or BG2 in terms of story or characters. It's pretty telling that my two favorites companions (Durance and Grieving Mother) we're both created by him. The rest of the cast is good but never comes closes to those two.

I'd like him somewhere where he can really work on some core stuff without the fear of getting his content diminished. I doesn't seem like Obsidian was a good fit for that.

Sober

Real as a boulder. The subreddit for Pillars blew the fuck up when the poem got switched, and it wasn't in support of the change. Cries of "SJW" and "Censorship" still ring somewhere deep in those halls.
Oh, I know about poemgate. But MRAs holding Avellone as their patron saint? I don't know if they've been paying attention or what...

Mechazawa

Yeah, jesus, that's a cold ass response from a company I don't generally associate with cold ass responses.

Hoping it was an amicable split, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Mr. Tibbs

PC Invasion Avellone interview:

PCI: You’ve spoke a bit about crowd funding, would you ever consider heading up a Kickstarter?

CA: I’m going to hold off on answering that for now.

PCI: Beyond Numenera is there anything you can talk about that you’re working on in the future?

CA: Nothing that I can talk about right now. I will say that the work on Numenera, I’m really enjoying it. There’s a lot of stuff still to do so I’m looking forward to getting my hands back in there. I really enjoy writing the character that’s going to be in the game, in many respects he’s very planescapey so I’m looking forward to that. Also, I’m working with a lot of the guys that I worked with on NWN 2, and also the original Planescape, so being able to work with all those guys again has been a huge joy.

The future beyond that… I guess there’s a lot of gleams in people’s eyes for these really cool ideas they would like to bring to the game arena and those ideas are pretty awesome. So I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes and hopefully being a part of that.

duckroll

I wonder why that entire interview has zero mentions of his recent work with Obsidian. He talks about both Wasteland 2 and Numenera, nothing about Pillars of Eternity. He even mentions finishing up the Wasteland 2 novel(la) which he owes the backers, but he doesn't even suggest that he's working on the PoE one?

This entire situation is starting to feel kinda shitty...

Shengar

I wonder why that entire interview has zero mentions of his recent work with Obsidian. He talks about both Wasteland 2 and Numenera, nothing about Pillars of Eternity. He even mentions finishing up the Wasteland 2 novel(la) which he owes the backers, but he doesn't even suggest that he's working on the PoE one?

The more we heard about this, the more it's very unlikely to be an amicable split.

Durante

PoE was a pretty good game but it never came close to Pillars or BG2 in terms of story or characters. It's pretty telling that my two favorites companions (Durance and Grieving Mother) we're both created by him. The rest of the cast is good but never comes closes to those two.
"Pillars"? I guess you mean Planescape: Torment?

Anyway, I think the setting in PoE is more interesting overall than in BG2, and the characters are easily on par -- some better than others but the same was true for BG2.

Not as good as PST, I agree with that one -- but then, nothing is.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"Pillars"? I guess you mean Planescape: Torment?

Anyway, I think the setting in PoE is more interesting overall than in BG2, and the characters are easily on par -- some better than others but the same was true for BG2.

Not as good as PST, I agree with that one -- but then, nothing is.

More interesting than the most overplayed fantasy setting in RPGs. Truly a difficult task (MotB was more interesting than Pillars.)

Durante

More interesting than the most overplayed fantasy setting in RPGs. Truly a difficult task (MotB was more interesting than Pillars.)
I replied to what the other poster wrote. Sorry about that!

(I thought the political/historical background and how it influences societies in PoE was equally interesting and really quite comparable to how the pantheons, religions and gods influence the plot in MotB)

Agremont

I'm not in the mood to debate this particular controversy, but I'm inclined to agree with those calling it transphobic.

Fair enough.

What the... really? Well it doesn't surprise me I guess.

Where did this happen?

Yeah that was suspect. They ask him for the new wave of isometric RPGs and he refers to the two inXile games, instead of PoE...

Arulan

I'd rather not jump to any conclusions, there is enough of that going around already, but it could possibly be worrying.

duckroll

I'd rather not jump to any conclusions, there is enough of that going around already, but it could possibly be worrying.

I don't want to jump to conclusions either. I do want to know if he's going to ever start working on the PoE novella though!

Patryn

I don't want to jump to conclusions either. I do want to know if he's going to ever start working on the PoE novella though!

I would suspect not.

The lack of a mention of Pillars in that interview makes me think he's not a huge fan of the property or Obsidian.

dude

dude
I really hope nothing bad happened between the fine people in Obsidian and Avellone... But not mentioning Pillars wconsidering it is much better than Wasteland 2 and out unlike Torment, is pretty weird. Obsidian's cold response is also quite telling.

We know Pillars under Josh went in a direction quite different than Avellone's usual (and that a lot of Avellone's ideas were cut from the game.) While I think Josh's choices made for a better game than what I read of Avellone's cut ideas, it's possible that could have caused some bad air...
Not to mention years of project after project being canceled...

I really hope nothing bad happened between the fine people in Obsidian and Avellone... But not mentioning Pillars wconsidering it is much better than Wasteland 2 and out unlike Torment, is pretty weird. Obsidian's cold response is also quite telling.

We know Pillars under Josh went in a direction quite different than Avellone's usual (and that a lot of Avellone's ideas were cut from the game.) While I think Josh's choices made for a better game than what I read of Avellone's cut ideas, it's possible that could have caused some bad air...
Not to mention years of project after project being canceled...

I just hope this won't affect Tides too badly.

Eusis

Wonder what they'd even do about those that backed for the novella? Refund where relevant? Have someone else write one to fill the gap? It seems to be a strange, awkward situation unless the bad vibe is mainly JUST him quitting suddenly and was more or less stable and civil until then, just without opportunities for him.

Though working with the NWN2 guys has interesting implications. Are we looking at a full on Obsidian split? Or were these people long gone?
The only fantasy world more boring than Faerun.
It actually seems pretty interesting under the surface... Just that they haven't really capitalized on it in the newer games. Even actively avoiding it it seems.

dude

dude
The only fantasy world more boring than Faerun.

I'm far from a fan of TES, but I wouldn't call the world boring (I wouldn't call Fearun boring either, but whateves.)
I wouldn't want Avellone on TES because it's a series that wouldn't put his talent as narrative designer to use, and that would be a shame.

DPB

Though working with the NWN2 guys has interesting implications. Are we looking at a full on Obsidian split? Or were these people long gone?

Long gone I think. Obsidian have lost a lot of developers over the years, he probably means Kevin Saunders and George Ziets, they've been at Inxile for some time now.

Shengar

It actually seems pretty interesting under the surface... Just that they haven't really capitalized on it in the newer games. Even actively avoiding it it seems.

From all interesting Daerda Princes, they choose the most boring one, Mehrunes Dagon for Oblivion. Then they still ignore the princes and opt for a fucking dragon. But even then, they can't live the potential of Sheogorath to the fullest. Bethesda should hired writer with better plotting, not just lore.

Eusis

From all interesting Daerda Princes, they choose the most boring one, Mehrunes Dagon for Oblivion. Then they still ignore the princes and opt for a fucking dragon. But even then, they can't live the potential of Sheogorath to the fullest. Bethesda should hired writer with better plotting, not just lore.
Yeah, that's what I mean about having something interesting set up, and completely failing to make use of it. Don't really know if it's that they don't know how to handle it, or they actively will not in the name of something more easily marketable (Satan figure coming in to conquer the world! Now we have DRAGONS rampaging around!) I'm actually kind of thinking the latter after Morrowind, it seems like that was more interesting on a whole and Oblivion especially presented itself as fairly bog standard.

Ogimachi

He probably told them beforehand that he didn't want to talk about his recent stuff and departure from Obsidian, which is understandable.

Besides, it's not like he had much input in PoE in the first place.

He probably told them beforehand that he didn't want to talk about his recent stuff and departure from Obsidian, which is understandable.

Besides, it's not like he had much input in PoE in the first place.

Heck, it could have been a condition of the dissolution of his share/interest in the company. Who knows.

How do you play a game with Annah, or Fall-from-Grace, or Kreia, or Grieving Mother in it and come out thinking Avellone is on the side of men's rights activism?

Yeah, that's what I mean about having something interesting set up, and completely failing to make use of it. Don't really know if it's that they don't know how to handle it, or they actively will not in the name of something more easily marketable (Satan figure coming in to conquer the world! Now we have DRAGONS rampaging around!) I'm actually kind of thinking the latter after Morrowind, it seems like that was more interesting on a whole and Oblivion especially presented itself as fairly bog standard.

It's been this way since Kirkbride left. Say what you want about the choices Howard made, the Lore itself is outstanding. Michael Kirkbride is a crazy ass savant to come up with that he did. Dude's unreal.

Back OT. Heard the news and thought the best way to pay tribute to MCA was to find more New Vegas towns IRL. I can now scratch Nipton, Searchlight, and Nelson off the list. Rumors are not true of Leagion Solders crucifying townies and holding an unlucky lottery. I repeat, rumors are not true

He's a goddamn founder and was the friggin' CCO, and there isn't anything up on the Obsidian homepage about this.

At all.

The forums are even dark about this, including the thread about him leaving. It's sounding more and more like something really bad happened. Like, really fucking bad.

Where did this happen?

Reddit, Obsidian Forums, Twitter.

How do you play a game with Annah, or Fall-from-Grace, or Kreia, or Grieving Mother in it and come out thinking Avellone is on the side of men's rights activism?

This was actually brought up. I believe the response was "people can write things they don't believe".

He should go to CD Projekt.

They are in Poland. Avellone likes living in the USA. He's not going to move to another country just because they do good work.

I have still only played Shadowrun from this wave of kickstarter RPG's as the one I really want is Numenara. Pillars seems too Icewind Dale like for me for some reason and I never really played those in the day.

A lot of fantasy RPGs are just made for the people who like things as vanilla as they can get them. They don't like stuff that is too weird or philosophical.

duckroll

So I wonder where this leaves the Avellone novel for Eternity?

I was wondering about this myself the other day. But I actually listened to parts of the interview podcast itself, and Avellone did mention the PoE novella. It was a short casual line, but he says that he completed the novella "a few weeks ago" and that he hasn't heard any feedback for it yet, but he would be happy to make any revisions required. I... hope that doesn't mean he's not even on speaking terms with the team anymore. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

When you are delusional.

This was actually brought up. I believe the response was "people can write things they don't believe".

Yep. Delusional.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I guess this means no crazy settings are gonna come out of Obsidian if it really is true that they werent allowing Chris any leeway on projects. Nearly closing must have them spooked.

Top Bottom