• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

Zabojnik

When was anyone talking about anything other than their personal opinions here?

It delivered on its premise, the quality of it was just less than I had hoped, especially when it came to the writing and setting.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it in the PoE thread. The writing bit is arguable for sure, but I thought they did an amazing job setting up Eora.

Not enough. What's your point? That most companies don't even attempt what Obsidian accomplishes with aplomb? I already knew that.

The discussion was about the quality of Obsidian's programmers.
Your claim is basically that PoE is less buggy than other games made by Obsidian,which isn't exactly a point in their favour (their programmers,that is).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The discussion was about the quality of Obsidian's programmers.
Your claim is basically that PoE is less buggy than other games made by Obsidian,which isn't exactly a point in their favour (their programmers,that is).

That wasnt his claim.

Nairume

Banned
I wouldn't put money on him going to InXile. Fargo seemed as surprised as anyone, and I'm sure he's getting offers from all across. InXile is still a small studio, so he might be more inclined to go in different directions.
I'd actually argue that inXile being a smaller studio could be what makes it more attractive to him. Obsidian is still doing contract work to pay bills while they also do passion projects, which, while it doesn't necessarily mean that Avellone's own projects have been getting full on shot down (though likely), could very reasonably have created a situation where projects he wants to work on are getting sidelined in favor of Armored Warfare and their Pathfinder projects. inXile being a smaller outfit seems to be working out to where they aren't needing to take on contract work to pay the bills. Since they've also been shown to be capable of working on multiple projects at one time (albeit slightly staggered), it may be more appealing to him since it would maybe promise a lower waiting time until he gets to lead something.

Of course, I could see him just freelancing for a while. It might give him a chance to discover new ideas and stuff.

dude

dude
I'd actually argue that inXile being a smaller studio could be what makes it more attractive to him. Obsidian is still doing contract work to pay bills while they also do passion projects, which, while it doesn't necessarily mean that Avellone's own projects have been getting full on shot down (though likely), could very reasonably have created a situation where projects he wants to work on are getting sidelined in favor of Armored Warfare and their Pathfinder projects. inXile being a smaller outfit seems to be working out to where they aren't needing to take on contract work to pay the bills. Since they've also been shown to be capable of working on multiple projects at one time (albeit slightly staggered), it may be more appealing to him since it would maybe promise a lower waiting time until he gets to lead something.

Of course, I could see him just freelancing for a while. It might give him a chance to discover new ideas and stuff.

Maybe, but if the indications of him being sick of canceled projects are true, than InXile wouldn't be a radical shift. I think it's more likely he's heading to bigger outfits. Or, of curse, freelancing.

I think that of the developers he could join they're one of the most reasonable choices to be guessing at. Avellone and inXile have a good working relationship and they make the type of games he specializes in, along with having people he's been coworkers with in the past. inXile would be a good home for him but beyond that there's no real evidence he'd be joining them yeah.

Guys, we have no reason to think he's going to inXile. It might make perfect sense to you that he belongs there because of his background, but there's no reason to think that he couldn't end up writing for first person shooters at a AAA developer.

dude

dude
Guys, we have no reason to think he's going to inXile. It might make perfect sense to you that he belongs there because of his background, but there's no reason to think that he couldn't end up writing for first person shooters at a AAA developer.

Exactly. I think he has the reputation to choose, and at that point I see no reason for him to not go for stability and budget.

What's this talk about inXile....didn't he said he'll go to Hogwarts ?

Even though it came as news to Brian Fargo and the inXile team that Avellone was leaving Obsidian, the internet's convinced he'd be a perfect match to be the lead writer for inXile's planned/rumored (not confirmed) attempt to make a game based on the cancelled Fallout: Van Buren -- similar to how they're using the Torment IP.

epmode

I bought that today! Yesterday! Whatever! I still feel bad about skipping their Kickstarter.

Even though it came as news to Brian Fargo and the inXile team that Avellone was leaving Obsidian

I don't think that tweet necessarily means Fargo was surprised. Could be read either way.

Also, the Van Buren trademark was picked up my inXile for sure. RPG Codex noticed back in December and Fargo talked about it a week or two ago: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

No one knows if they'll actually do anything with it. Just pointing out a possibility.

Ogimachi

As much as I'd love to see Avellone join BioWare or Bethesda or another developer that could use more writing talent, i'd really like to see a new studio built around him. Letting him pump out more games while also having the next generation of game writers and developers learn under him would be fantastic. It's sad that the signs point to the split between he and Obsidian not being amicable.
Very sad indeed. I mean, I still remember watching their kickstarter livestream with a drunk MCA & co singing Don't Stop Believing and drinking to celebrate.

SL128

I bought that today! Yesterday! Whatever! I still feel bad about skipping their Kickstarter.

I don't think that tweet necessarily means Fargo was surprised. Could be read either way.

Also, the Van Buren trademark was picked up my inXile for sure. RPG Codex noticed back in December and Fargo talked about it a week or two ago: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

No one knows if they'll actually do anything with it. Just pointing out a possibility.
Colin McComb definitely seemed surprised.

QaaQer

I wonder why that entire interview has zero mentions of his recent work with Obsidian. He talks about both Wasteland 2 and Numenera, nothing about Pillars of Eternity. He even mentions finishing up the Wasteland 2 novel(la) which he owes the backers, but he doesn't even suggest that he's working on the PoE one?

This entire situation is starting to feel kinda shitty...

Didn't he mention in an earlier interview that the arc and characters he really want to see in PoE werent allowed? The director said they were too dark or something. I wish I could remember were I read it.

duckroll

Didn't he mention in an earlier interview that the arc and characters he really want to see in PoE werent allowed? The director said they were too dark or something. I wish I could remember were I read it.

It wasn't that they weren't allowed. He had an ambitious idea regarding how you would peel away on the layers of the psyche for Grieving Mother and Durance, and learn more about them as you progress in this mental dungeon minigame thing. It didn't fit with the presentation (and maybe the budget) of the project, so they took his concepts for the character and adapted them into the form in the game - where you would have dreams of those characters and learn more about their past and then you can talk to them about it and confront them about certain aspects of their past.

QaaQer

It wasn't that they weren't allowed. He had an ambitious idea regarding how you would peel away on the layers of the psyche for Grieving Mother and Durance, and learn more about them as you progress in this mental dungeon minigame thing. It didn't fit with the presentation (and maybe the budget) of the project, so they took his concepts for the character and adapted them into the form in the game - where you would have dreams of those characters and learn more about their past and then you can talk to them about it and confront them about certain aspects of their past.

Cheers for the clarification.

Eusis

His idea was nothing short of amazing and it got butchered to hell it seems.
It's probably the kind of thing that'd be too much a pain in the neck to code in, QA, and generally try to work in when it's only for those two. If the game were built around it or something I could see that justifying it.

It's probably the kind of thing that'd be too much a pain in the neck to code in, QA, and generally try to work in when it's only for those two. If the game were built around it or something I could see that justifying it.

Yea it probably was more than a pain in the neck

But the end result would be worth it IMO

Eusis

Yea it probably was more than a pain in the neck

But the end result would be worth it IMO
If it were put in it'd probably be best to use that with each of the characters too. Which I guess is the issue, they probably didn't really want to go that route with the game though it'd be really interesting to see.

kd-z

What is this thread. People talking about game designers/writers like they were your pals and you had full insight into who did what, where and why.

Also, I think it's weird to compare Sawyer and Avellone. Isn't Josh more of a systems guy while Avellone is pretty much just a writer?

And what the heck is up with trying to find conflict in places where there seems to be only companionship. Obsidian looks like a place where people work because they want to work there and they share common goals.

"Blocking Avellone's content and his Kickstarter idea" - what? The same thing could be said the other way around: "selling oneselef as a human stretch goal instead of putting the work in the company you work for".

Don't turn this into a gossip thread about who Taylor Swift ( <3 ) sleeps with or something.

Mivey

Don't turn this into a gossip thread about who Taylor Swift ( <3 ) sleeps with or something.

Why do you suddenly ... Are you implying that she sleeps with Avellone? OMG! Avellone & Swift! You heard it here first folks!

Fredescu

And what the heck is up with trying to find conflict in places where there seems to be only companionship. Obsidian looks like a place where people work because they want to work there and they share common goals.

So a well known long term member and founder of the company leaves, and they announce it by basically saying "yeah he's gone" and nothing more. And you see that as evidence of happy times and companionship? While I don't share your world view, I have to admit I'm a little envious of it.

ZoddGutts

Hmm....

jJrV6rw.png

That's all for now, but we'll be back next week with more to share with you...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1276496

The Bards Tale IV KS update.

Hmm....

The Bards Tale IV KS update.

Brian Fargo tweeted out a picture of a signed copy of Planescape Torment.

Edit: I assumed the presence of Chris Avellone's signature meant he was working in the inXile office, but it looks like Feargus Urquhart's signature is on the box too, so maybe the signatures were collected over time.

Top Bottom