• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan's 'Inception' to star Dicaprio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

wat

There isnt anything new about Nolan's storytelling techniques. Non-linearity, flashbacks, etc. are old as sin.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Solo said:
wat

There isnt anything new about Nolan's storytelling techniques. Non-linearity, flashbacks, etc. are old as sin.
Agreed.

DMczaf

http://aintitcool.com/node/44510

Another bit from the trailer

The imagery was beautiful, but not super crazy by this point, but as the footage progressed we got images crazier and crazier… People floating in hallways, being tied up by (I think) Gordon-Levitt’s character. There was also a chase down a mountain on skis and a gunfight in the snow where DiCaprio tells someone firing a nice-sized automatic rifle “You mustn’t be afraid to dream of a bigger gun,” as he raises a rather ridiculously big gun that has a large round chamber and fires off huge shells.

Ending with a bang, we see this crazy world falling apart around DiCaprio. The whole city seems to be turned on its head, falling into the ocean.

Nolan was a bit dry, but his passion was undeniable. The dude is a visual geek and commented a lot on visually executing his pictures. In terms of effects he always tries to get as much in camera as possible. He acknowledged the movies he grew up caring about might play into that a little, but he truly feels that when an effect is tangible a real relationship between the actor and the world (and the effect and the audience) is easier to achieve.

A lot of the gravity defying sets, built for real, were inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s 2001. Nolan admitted to being fascinated by that concept when he saw 2001 and wanted to recreate his version of that kind of in-camera trickery (my word, not his).

When asked about his influences, Nolan responded with Stanley Kubrick, Nicolas Roeg, Terence Malick and seeing Star Wars when he was a kid. But biggest of them all, he said Ridley Scott and specifically BLADE RUNNER, which he said “I bring that movie in with me on every film I make.”

When asked about 3-D, Nolan said he’s a tech-head, so he’s intrigued, but feels that 2-D and 3-D are misnomers since 2-D filmmaking isn’t flat, but shot to represent a 3-D view already. You could tell he was upset at the 3-D trend saying there’s real misinformation and hype about the direction the industry is actually going on.

When asked by a fan saying he’s created a lot of twisted male characters if he’ll ever give us a really great twisted female character he grinned and said to watch out for Cotillard in Inception. He wouldn’t go into any details, but said “She plays an extremely complicated individual.”

Solo

I never understand what Nolan thinks he is doing that evokes Blade Runner. I recall that film was what he told the crew to watch for Batman Begins, but there is nothing about Batman Begins, stylistically, tonally, or from a cinematography persective that even remotely channels Blade Runner. The only thing from Blade Runner in BB is Rutger Hauer :lol

Now, one can see what he meant when telling his crew to watch Heat for TDK, as that influence is all over the movie, but Blade Runner for BB? Hell no.

Solo said:
Read some of the GAF threads about the movie. Its shocking how little some people picked up. People couldnt even realize that Borden and Tesla had never met.

I always assumed that he HAD met Tesla, or at least Alley, to build the "theatrics" behind the transported man. The full shows has the electrical orbs shooting current out--I can only assume he didn't build that himself...

Solo said:

True, but I don't think anyone does non-linearity, and especially flashbacks, as well as Nolan does. Flashbacks are handled terribly and disrupt the flow of the film when used by most directors, but Nolan does a great job of implementing them, seamlessly, into his films.

Lakitu

st5fu
Solo said:
I never understand what Nolan thinks he is doing that evokes Blade Runner. I recall that film was what he told the crew to watch for Batman Begins, but there is nothing about Batman Begins, stylistically, tonally, or from a cinematography persective that even remotely channels Blade Runner. The only thing from Blade Runner in BB is Rutger Hauer :lol

Now, one can see what he meant when telling his crew to watch Heat for TDK, as that influence is all over the movie, but Blade Runner for BB? Hell no.

I can actually see the Blade Runner influence in BB in these shots:

http://www.nolanfans.com/images/galleries/batmanbegins/142.jpg
http://www.nolanfans.com/images/galleries/batmanbegins/141.jpg

It's at night, raining, and has smoke, it kind of reminds me of Blade Runner.

ezekial45

Banned
Solo said:

From the BB wiki page:

Batman Begins wiki said:
Design
Nolan used the 1982 cult science fiction film Blade Runner as a source of inspiration for Batman Begins. He screened Blade Runner to cinematographer Wally Pfister and two others to show the attitude and style that he wanted to draw from the film. Nolan described the film's world as "an interesting lesson on the technique of exploring and describing a credible universe that doesn't appear to have any boundaries", a lesson that he applied to the production of Batman Begins

jett

D-Member
When asked about his influences, Nolan responded with Stanley Kubrick, Nicolas Roeg, Terence Malick and seeing Star Wars when he was a kid. But biggest of them all, he said Ridley Scott and specifically BLADE RUNNER, which he said “I bring that movie in with me on every film I make.”

He really loves Blade Runner doesn't he. :)

Timbuktu

I always wondered what we would get if Ridley Scott tried his hands on a comic book film. Russell Crowe in Batman... ala 3:10 to Yuma wouldn't be half bad.

I'd also like to say that I LOVE Wally Pfister's work. Excellent sense of scene composition...very underrated (maybe too "subtle" for "WHOA AWESOME CINEMATOGRAPHY" comments).

jett

D-Member
Mr. Snrub said:
I'd also like to say that I LOVE Wally Pfister's work. Excellent sense of scene composition...very underrated (maybe too "subtle" for "WHOA AWESOME CINEMATOGRAPHY" comments).

YES, he's great. It's not coincidental that he's been nominated for an oscar three times in a row.

Solo

Mr. Snrub said:
True, but I don't think anyone does non-linearity, and especially flashbacks, as well as Nolan does. Flashbacks are handled terribly and disrupt the flow of the film when used by most directors, but Nolan does a great job of implementing them, seamlessly, into his films.

I wasn't taking shots at Nolan's skill in using those elements (which is very nicely developed), dont get me wrong. Just at the ludicrous notion that he somehow has created new storytelling techniques. It would be like attributing handheld camera work to Paul Greengrass.

Blader

Mr. Snrub said:

I like the way Snrub thinks.

wRATH2x

Banned
Solo said:
wat

Agreed.

This is Willy105. One look at his previous posts should make you realize that his opinion is nothing you should acknowledge.

DMczaf

http://www.ugo.com/movies/christopher-nolan-is-dreamy

Post-panel, attendees were handed tickets redeemable for a bag of nifty Warner Bros. swag, including two Inception items. The first was a small metal top, similiar to the one seen in the first trailer. The second was a t-shirt, pictured below, which shows off what is presumably the device used to create and control dreams.

Also of note is a barcode on the back of the shirt which will, no doubt, play a role in the very near future as part of the film's viral marketing.

dsc04606.jpeg

Solo said:
I wasn't taking shots at Nolan's skill in using those elements (which is very nicely developed), dont get me wrong. Just at the ludicrous notion that he somehow has created new storytelling techniques. It would be like attributing handheld camera work to Paul Greengrass.

Another jab at Greengrass. =\

I agree actually. Better yet, it's ashame Liman was kicked off the Bourne franchise.

Solo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Another jab at Greengrass. =\

I agree actually. Better yet, it's ashame Liman was kicked off the Bourne franchise.

Not a jab at all. Im just pointing out that it isnt Greengrass who is the first to employ such techniques, but rather just used them to extremes which hadnt commonly been used.

wRATH2x

Banned
I really don't care about old and new techniques.

I think we can all agree that if it was executed well, then who cares.

Solo

wRATH2x said:
I think we can all agree that if it was executed well, then who cares.

Well, duh :lol If movies were judged on innovation solely, then there would only be a decent movie released about once a decade.

wRATH2x

Banned
Solo said:
Well, duh :lol If movies were judged on innovation solely, then there would only be a decent movie released about once a decade.
Sorry, that was a reflex I picked up while arguing in the gaming section.

Almost every game has to be "innovative" to them, yuck.

Anyway, Nolan my god please release the trailer!

Solo

I would assume that the marketing will be more traditional for this one - it isnt Batman, so people at large arent going to do the digging they did for TDK.

ezekial45

Banned
Solo said:
I would assume that the marketing will be more traditional for this one - it isnt Batman, so people at large arent going to do the digging they did for TDK.
I know it's not going to be anywhere near TDK level marketing, but the one for this movie has been a little light. The most recent ones are pretty cool, though. The manual is by far my favorite though.

Solo

Im talking about the type of marketing, not the $$$ behind it. Viral worked beautifully for TDK because there was a rabid fanbase in place willing to play along and follow the clues. Inception on the other hand is like The Prestige - a typical movie in the eyes of most. So to me it makes for sense that Inception will see traditional forms of marketing rather than viral stuff.

DMczaf

I'm still shocked the ending of the TDK viral campaign was being able to see the movie before release in IMAX for free. I was just hoping for a shirt or something :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Nolan viral marketing is always The Shit. Can't wait for more of this.

I think hype around this film will really take off with that 3rd trailer + repeated footage of those "2001"-esque space sequences with the suspended logic and crazy action cinematography.

DMczaf

Solo said:
When the hell will WB put up a placeholder Batman 3 site? I need to get the trolling ramping up soon!

I am making it my mission to cockblock your attempt to post that thread first

DMczaf

Matter of fact, I'm going to beat you to the Bond 23 thread as well.

Or as I call it, "The Prequel to Craig's Die Another Day"

Blader

I have been having some really intense (like, exhausting) dreams the past few days.

Is this viral marketing for Inception?

DMczaf

rayhvm.jpg

"How did he post the Batman 3 and Bond 23 threads back to back without being stopped by the post delay?"

MichaelCaineThePrestige.jpg

"I've already told you how he does it, you just don't want to believe it. He has another account."

293botv.jpg

"NO! That's too simple!"

xliln6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom