• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Pratt is not the new Harrison Ford, he's the new Brendan Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

i like pratt, liked fraser, harrison ford is kinda meh for me, maybe because i never really watched indiana jones and the original star wars
if pratt doesn't get really big in movies i can see him returning to tv, so i think he'll be fine

Monocle

Chris Pratt is hotter and more likable than Brendan Fraser. Depending on his versatility he could go far. Give him a decade or so to show what he's got.

The thing about Harrison Ford though is he's one of those really charismatic actors who just plays himself. He's not the kind of guy to disappear into a role. Chris could be, eventually. (If he isn't I'll still like him more than Brendan Fraser. )

tumblr_m5l4czi1NZ1qbyihao1_500.gif
Greatest film ever.
Rachel Weisz as Nefertiri can go somewhere and die in a fucking fire. I don't think there's a whitewashing in Hollywood that pissed me off as much as that one.

Greatest.

Film.

EVER.

DOWN

Banned
Chris Pratt is hotter and more likable than Brendan Fraser. Depending on his versatility he could go far. Give him a decade or so to show what he's got.

The thing about Harrison Ford though is he's one of those really charismatic actors who just plays himself. He's not the kind of guy to disappear into a role. Chris could be, eventually. (If he isn't I'll still like him more than Brendan Fraser. )
Hey come on now, Fraser was arguably hotter at his peak

post-25200-brendan-fraser-hot-pecs-gif-KmzI.gif

11796784.jpg

Apt101

I don't know if there will ever be another Harrison Ford. He looks like some guy who was building a closet or something for someone and a casting director saw him, asked him to read some lines, and discovered that acting came naturally to him. All of these comparisons and suggestions look like men born, bred, trained, and groomed to be products of Hollywood.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What has he been in, other than Parks and Guardians for us to be able to judge?

I think him being so well known for a comedy role affects our perceptions of him. Harrison Ford was a straight actor mostly, with lots of on screen charisma. With Chris Pratt it takes me a long time to see anything other than a bumbling Andy from Parks and Recreation. And Guardians of the Galaxy isn't enough to change that. Maybe Jurassic World will help him be more action movie star than TV comedy actor, but it seems a bit premature.

I personally used to compare Pratt to Will Smith, another comedy actor who is known for being quirky and likeable, rather than his acting abilities. Fraser probably works better, since Pratt and Fraser don't have the music career and leading roles in their own TV shows.

VARIA

Pratt already solidified a higher status than Fraser by taking on a bankable/likeable superhero role.

Azazzel

I like Pratt a lot, but he can't carry that "don't fuck with me" element of danger that Ford is so good at.

He's also simply not as good an actor.

He's probably as good as or better than Fraser, though.

I've always wondered...why do people think of Harrison Ford as some kind of badass? Dude looks like he's about to cry all the time.

Even Nic Cage might look more badass than him lol.

borborygmus

I don't know if there will ever be another Harrison Ford. He looks like some guy who was building a closet or something for someone and a casting director saw him, asked him to read some lines, and discovered that acting came naturally to him. All of these comparisons and suggestions look like men born, bred, trained, and groomed to be products of Hollywood.

I've thought the same thing for a while but couldn't quite put it into words.

Actors like Chris Pine/Pratt/Evans/Hemsworth are just too "polished." Their look reminds me of that episode of Dexter's Laboratory where he modifies his face for the class photo.

tumblr_n1qh3wIABC1r0hsb6o1_500.jpg

These people would never be believable in non-comic-book movie roles.

Wazzy

Banned
Brendan in his prime was sexy as fuck. The Mummy is his best looking film.

Pratt is good looking but I prefer prime Brendan.

Seraphiel

Banned
Brendan Fraser should have been bigger. Instead of Tom Sizemore or whoever generic dude they were pushing at the time

Pssh, Pratt is way more talented then Ford. Ford just been around longer.

Lol, stop you look and sound quite silly.

Better than Harrison Ford.

Kids these days ;)

Brendan Fraser should have been bigger. Instead of Tom Sizemore or whoever generic dude they were pushing at the time

Pssh, Pratt is way more talented then Ford. Ford just been around longer.

No one ever pushed for Sizemore (though that would've been awesome).

daniels

The first mummy movie was basically a even more silly indiana jones movie and not a bad one at that :)
But yeah Chris pratt is the dark souls of average middle aged charismatic hollywood funny white dude.

Is even better than the first.

tumblr_m8c27cFsvE1qm9v46o4_500.gif

Rachel Weisz as Nefertiri can go somewhere and die in a fucking fire. I don't think there's a whitewashing in Hollywood that pissed me off as much as that one.

Didn't come off at all as intentional whitewashing to me. Yes, Weisz doesn't look "egyptian" at all so it does kind of stick out, but it's more of a consequence of where they decided to take the previously established characters in the sequel than anything else. When she was cast in the first Mummy, then had no idea
she would end up the reincarnated daughter of a Pharoah in the sequel.

Wait...that's pretty much exactly what happened. You knew that right, and this wasn't you coming up with a random example to describe the guy? Because wow that would be strange.

EGM1966

Sort of. I'd say:

• Fraser has shown better acting chops than either in his key performance films
  • Ford was bigger at his peak than I believe either Fraser or Pratt can/did manage (arguably down to an element of being right place/time for two key franchises) and although not as nuanced as Fraser he has delivered a number of strong performances in films like Witness and Mosquito Coast
  • Pratt looks to be a blend of both in terms of their franchise titles but I have no idea if he could work in a film like Gods & Monsters or Mosquito Coast

As for next Indy, I don't want one to be blunt. Certainly not Chris Pine who simply couldn't carry the character/period in my view. Indy was created with Ford and his performance (particularly in the first three films) is so definitive to a character than only exists with Ford that it just doesn't seem worth the effort to try and keep the character.

Leave Indy as is and come up with new characters/settings in a similar vein would be my preference.

Apt101

Wait...that's pretty much exactly what happened. You knew that right, and this wasn't you coming up with a random example to describe the guy? Because wow that would be strange.

I know nothing about Harrison Ford's personal life except that he crashed a plane recently and dated Ally McBeal. Though, it wouldn't surprise me, as that's how he comes off, and I've read stories about actors being discovered while they've been working before.

I know nothing about Harrison Ford's personal life except that he crashed a plane recently and dated Ally McBeal. Though, it wouldn't surprise me, as that's how he comes off, and I've read stories about actors being discovered while they've been working before.

Well your random stab was pretty accurate:

Wikipedia said:
Harrison Ford's carpentry work for George Lucas eventually landed him his first starring film role, when he was hired by Lucas to read lines for actors auditioning for parts in his then-upcoming film Star Wars (1977). Lucas was eventually won over by Ford's performance during these line reads and cast him as Han Solo.[14

Actors like Chris Pine/Pratt/Evans/Hemsworth are just too "polished." Their look reminds me of that episode of Dexter's Laboratory where he modifies his face for the class photo.

No even comedies?

cNNHM.jpg

I mean calling Chris Pratt too perfect is really funny considering what some scruff and a little weight foes to the guy.

tumblr_nl6ai6vqZ71u64k17o2_500.jpg

Actually a good comparison, people forget that Ford was a MEGA star, carrying movies on his name alone, Pratt isn't in the same universe as that

post-25200-brendan-fraser-hot-pecs-gif-KmzI.gif

I completely forget he was this ripped at one point

Ithil

Pratt got his non-comic-book movie role fresh from being known for his chubby schlub of a character in Parks & Recreation.

Acting like he was always some chiseled male model type is absurd.

Aselith

Does Harrison Ford have "mega-star icon quality" though?

Honest question. Because his two biggest movies are still the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, and those were a long time ago.

He's had a pretty lukewarm career since then. And he's never been known for his acting chops.

And his Jack Ryan movies which were very successful and The Fugitive and Air Force One all megasuccessful and that's into the late nineties. So yeah he's been pretty successful.

And that's without factoring the smaller, more actorly stuff like Regarding Henry and Witness.

borborygmus

No even comedies?

I mean calling Chris Pratt too perfect is really funny considering what some scruff and a little weight foes to the guy.

Sure, he can do comedies. I just can't see him in any kind of serious or "iconic" role.

Pratt got his non-comic-book movie role fresh from being known for his chubby schlub of a character in Parks & Recreation.

Acting like he was always some chiseled male model type is absurd.

He wasn't always a chiseled male model type, but right now he comes off really generic. He is "handsome" but doesn't have the charisma to match.

Don't take the "non-comic-book" thing too literally. I just mean that he'll never be able to convincingly play a role in the vein of what Harrison Ford has done. I'm sure he can succeed in comedy and B-grade stuff but I simply can't see him becoming one of the greats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom