• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian pediatrician denies child service because parents are tattooed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If you look closely you can see the seed of satan in her eyes

keeyoot.jpg

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=f290458b-dd7d-4a20-ac99-525e48365b08
BAKERSFIELD - A family is turned away by a local pediatrician, they say because of the way they look.

The doctor said he is just following his beliefs, creating a Christian atmosphere for his patients.

Tasha Childress said it’s discrimination.

She said Dr. Gary Merrill wouldn’t treat her daughter for an ear infection because Tasha, the mother, has tattoos.

The writing is on the wall—literally: “This is a private office. Appearance and behavior standards apply.”

For Dr. Gary Merrill of Christian Medical Services, that means no tattoos, body piercings, and a host of other requirements—all standards Merrill has set based upon his Christian faith.

“She had to go that entire night with her ear infection with no medicine because he has his policy,” Tasha Childress said.

Merrill won’t speak on camera, but said based on his values and beliefs, he has standards that he expects in his office.

He does that, he said, to ensure the patients he does accept have a more comfortable atmosphere.

According to the American Medical Association and other doctors, he reserves that right.

“In the same sense that any other business person has the opportunity to decline service, be it a restaurant if they’re not dressed properly, be it any other type of business,” said Dr. Ronald Morton, Kern County Medical Society.
Yes, that is so very Christian of him. Twat.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
are ear piercings allowed? His potential market is shriveled as hell.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm sorry, I don't remember the bible passage about piercings and tattoos... For all we know, the apostles all had PAs.

maharg said:
I'm sorry, I don't remember the bible passage about piercings and tattoos... For all we know, the apostles all had PAs.

WOuldn't it be weird if Jesus had a pierced .... ok, wth. I'm gonna just log off for the day.

xsarien

daedsiluap
This man sure is demonstrating what a faithful Christian he is by refusing to treat a child.

Yup, he's got that first-class seat to Heaven LOCKED.

Ra\/en

I love these horrible articles, and rediculous "christians" that make the news. They really stain the reputation of those christians that are doing the right thing.

Brobzoid

whytemyke said:
I hope this guy has his medical license revoked.

he should have his christianity license revoked. good job missing the entire point of christianity...

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Brobzoid said:
he should have his christianity license revoked. good job missing the entire point of christianity...
I don't care about his Christianity-- what happened to the Hipocratic Oath or whatever? "First do no harm"?

That's a pretty disgusting thing to do. In fact, I don't really know how I feel about the role of religion in the doctor's office. I was shadowing a family doc a few months ago and he prayed with patients after every visit. I'm not Christian, but I felt compelled to join in since they were all holding hands and I didn't want to be the odd man out. Granted, this particular practice is known for having a Christian atmosphere, but he did the same thing during a rotation at a hospital. I almost cracked up when one patient refused to be prayed for and started to back away from him as soon as he offered a prayer. It really seems to put the patient in an awkward position.

BobLoblaw

Banned
If he's a private practice doctor, he doesn't have to help anybody. Crude yes, but private practice docs can pick and choose.

Onix said:
What I'm confused about is what tattoo's have to do with anything? Since when are they anti-Christian?

maybe the tattoo had Jesus being sodomized by Satan in a dress? Just putting it out there.

BobLoblaw said:
If he's a private practice doctor, he doesn't have to help anybody. Crude yes, but private practice docs can pick and choose.

I don't think anyone was disputing this. He's just a piece of human garbage is all.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Onix said:
What I'm confused about is what tattoo's have to do with anything? Since when are they anti-Christian?

Anything that doesn't resemble the fallen savior, Jesus.

temp

posting on contract only
BobLoblaw said:
Duh. Doesn't make it good Christianity.

BobLoblaw said:

Jeez. Always one. No one is arguing the legality. The story is the hypocrisy between his "moral code" and Christianity

Seth C

Onix said:

Probably something to do with not marking, violating, or otherwise disrespecting the temple of the Lord (your body). That isn't the point. Christ had no problem ministering even to prostitutes and thieves. This guy is absolutely nothing that would be appreciated by the man he falsely claims to follow.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Onix said:
It's a tradition steeped in the Old Testament that to leave permanent marks on the body purposely is a slight against God. The only mark of God is circumcision, and to permanently mark the body in any other way is read as saying that God's mark isn't good enough, that you somehow aren't satisfied with his work.

I know that a lot of Orthodox Jews refuse to get tats cuz of that reason.

White Man

Onix said:

There's something in the Old Testament about it. I know from my hardcore jew friends that you can't get buried in hardcore jew cemeteries if you have any tattoos. Since Big J does say something about obeying jewish laws, maybe that has something to do with it.

Verano

White Man said:
TI know from my hardcore jew friends that you can't get buried in hardcore jew cemeteries if you have any tattoos.

THAT'S HARDCORE!

I find that these sort of situations always have me thinking about the origins of practices. Be that circumsizing, no blood transfusions, tattoos being a no no. I mean at some point in history someone, or some group of people, decided this was to be. It's a pity there's no solid history on how all these arbitrary things came to become traditions.

If this is the same Christian pediatrician named Gary Merrill who lives in Bakersfield I went to church with about 10 years ago, he's actually a very nice guy.

Definitely a religious extremist, but he's a kind, decent fellow from what I know of him, and he's definitely not a douchebag by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, he makes the terms of treatment known, and they went against that policy, so I don't see it as that big a deal. It's not like he went "Oh, I treat everybody!" and then went "No secular heathens! You get the **** out!"

The terms were known in advance. I don't agree with those terms, but he let people know what they were, so anybody thinking he's evil or something is definitely overreacting.

P.S. His wife died last fall of cancer, if this is in fact the same Christian pediatrician from Bakersfield named Gary Merrill. So he's kinda going through some rough times.

P.P.S. Also, if the selling point of his business is singularly that of providing a Christian environment, he's not doing a damn thing wrong in the first place.

Raistlin

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/tattoochristian.htm

I have not read of any major Christian scholars debating the issue. With that in mind, it appears to be a gray area - open to obvious interpretation - making this Doctor's reaction all the more strange.

While I disagree with what he did regardless of the reasoning, I'm simply debating whether his reasoning is even sound from a Christian point-of-view. If it where an obvious black and white issue, at least one could understand why he did what he did.

In this situation however, his stand doesn't make sense on its own merits IMO.

temp

posting on contract only
ManDudeChild said:
I find that these sort of situations always have me thinking about the origins of practices. Be that circumsizing, no blood transfusions, tattoos being a no no. I mean at some point in history someone, or some group of people, decided this was to be. It's a pity there's no solid history on how all these arbitrary things came to become traditions.
There's a good chance they evolved from some earlier tradition or were absorbed from some other religion or culture or whatever.

Verano

Aristotlekh said:
So he's kinda going through some rough times.

So if it's him, then he shouldn't vent his frustrations on other people, I don't see how you're defending this man based on pity.

Aristotlekh said:
If this is the same Christian pediatrician named Gary Merrill who lives in Bakersfield I went to church with about 10 years ago, he's actually a very nice guy.
No. Nice guys don't do what he does. Behavior determines someone's character and the behavior he demonstrated is deplorable and in no way commensurate with being "a very nice guy."

Mercury Fred said:
No. Nice guys don't do what he does. Behavior determines someone's character and the behavior he demonstrated is deplorable and in no way commensurate with being "a very nice guy."

Yeah, because one event determines his behavior.

I really don't think it's a big deal. I don't want to sound like an apologist because I definitely don't agree with what he did, but if he really is keen on promoting a Christian environment and that's how he makes his money, it's probably in his best interest to enforce that policy. It's not like there aren't any other pediatricians around town.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Aristotlekh said:
Yeah, because one event determines his behavior.

I really don't think it's a big deal. I don't want to sound like an apologist because I definitely don't agree with what he did, but if he really is keen on promoting a Christian environment and that's how he makes his money, it's probably in his best interest to enforce that policy. It's not like there aren't any other pediatricians around town.

If he were promoting a Christian environment he wouldn't have thought twice about treating a sick child.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Aristotlekh said:
Religious extremist. He's obviously overdoing it. I'm just saying I don't think it makes him evil or terribly newsworthy.

It makes him a pretty shitty human being.

Brobzoid

Aristotlekh said:
Religious extremist. He's obviously overdoing it. I'm just saying I don't think it makes him evil or terribly newsworthy.

the point of christianity is to forgive and help people(within the context of this situation). He isn't christian anything, in that sense. The rule-set he is following is some old jewish scripture.

xsarien said:
It makes him a pretty shitty human being.

Explain. If he started a business with the idea of creating an environment strictly for Christian people and didn't want the slightest hint of anything non-Christian so other evangelical types would feel comfortable there, denying these folks service would be in keeping with the policy. It's not like he works for a bonafide hospital and some people came into the ER and he denied them some life-saving operation.

Sure, it's discriminatory. Sure, it's extremism. Sure, I would never do anything like that under any set of circumstances. But I think his point of view is a little bit understandable given the nature of his business. Allowing those people service could be seen as the beginning of a slippery slope, and he'd lose the idea he started the business with.

P.S. By the way, I have no idea where in the Bible it says anything about tattoos not being allowed. I don't know where the basis for that is. I'm just speculating - ultimately, my only point was that the guy really isn't an asshole or anything like that. Sure, it's a shitty policy, but he's really not a bad human being.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Aristotlekh said:
Explain. If he started a business with the idea of creating an environment strictly for Christian people and didn't want the slightest hint of anything non-Christian so other evangelical types would feel comfortable there, denying these folks service would be in keeping with the policy. It's not like he works for a bonafide hospital and some people came into the ER and he denied them some life-saving operation.

Except there's nothing Christian about this policy. If he's smart enough to be a doctor, he's likely to be smart enough to know that he's being a heartless douchebag, and his stance is in direct opposition to the teachings of Christ.

If his local pastor had any brains, he'd call this out during mass and out him in front of the whole congregation.

Aristotlekh said:

Sure, it's discriminatory. Sure, it's extremism. Sure, I would never do anything like that under any set of circumstances. But I think his point of view is a little bit understandable given the nature of his business. Allowing those people service could be seen as the beginning of a slippery slope, and he'd lose the idea he started the business with.

P.S. By the way, I have no idea where in the Bible it says anything about tattoos not being allowed. I don't know where the basis for that is. I'm just speculating - ultimately, my only point was that the guy really isn't an asshole or anything like that. Sure, it's a shitty policy, but he's really not a bad human being.

Just to follow this out to its logical conclusion and the "slippery slope" idea, what if the kid had had something actually life threatening and that doctor by taking in that kid would have noticed it potentially before the parents would have. But if he refuses treatment and the kid dies.

That's why he's a doctor. To help and treat people. Not to propagate his religion. Every religion is always going to have some dumb ass reason why you shouldn't do something. Like if a muslim doctor decided it wasn't too cool for him to treat christian patients.

xsarien said:
Except there's nothing Christian about this policy. If he's smart enough to be a doctor, he's likely to be smart enough to know that he's being a heartless douchebag, and his stance is in direct opposition to the teachings of Christ.

If his local pastor had any brains, he'd call this out during mass and out him in front of the whole congregation.

Yeah, exactly -- I don't think this is really a "religion vs. job" situation, because I'd argue that the "Christian" thing to do would definitely be to help the sick kids!

White Man

Greenpanda said:
Yeah, exactly -- I don't think this is really a "religion vs. job" situation, because I'd argue that the "Christian" thing to do would definitely be to help the sick kids!

Really, I mean, doesn't the parable of The Good Samaritan clearly map onto this situation? Also, why punish the kid when it was his parents that had the satan tattoos?

Pimpbaa

Future article:

Heaven - A doctor is turned away by God, he said because of the way the did an unchristian thing by turning away a child for medical treatment because of the appearance of her parents.

The doctor said he is just following his beliefs, creating a Christian atmosphere for his patients.

God said he completely missed the point of Christian beliefs.

For Dr. Gary Merrill of Christian Medical Services, that means an eternity of pain and suffering within the bowels of hell.

Matt_C

White Man said:
There's something in the Old Testament about it. I know from my hardcore jew friends that you can't get buried in hardcore jew cemeteries if you have any tattoos. Since Big J does say something about obeying jewish laws, maybe that has something to do with it.

If he has an issue treating the family, imagine him treating people who were like Jesus' apostles :lol

23bakker.184.jpg

"Can I get an appointment?"

Kusagari

Aristotlekh said:

Because he's going against the very point of christianity. It's not like the parents themselves came in and required his aide. They wanted him to help their sick child and he would rather have that child suffer because the childs mother has something he disagrees with. Great christian there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom