• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian pediatrician denies child service because parents are tattooed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jared

I'm not surprised. Bakersfield, despite being in California, is like a portal to the deep south where this sort of crap runs amok.

You can even find folks selling gigantic confederate flags on street corners. It's pretty nuts, not to mention freaky.

John_B

If the real Jesus, not Hollywood Jesus, would swing by that office, with his not so milky skin, not so blue eyes and not so L'Oreal-silky-soft-brown hair, I bet this insane mother****er of a doctor would have thrown Jesus out of his office.

JayDubya

Banned
whytemyke said:
I hope this guy has his medical license revoked.

For?

whytemyke said:
I don't care about his Christianity-- what happened to the Hipocratic Oath or whatever? "First do no harm"?

Harm? Oh, and I'm all for a literal hippocratic oath if you are - no abortion, no euthanasia. Of course, technically, no surgery as well, which is really kind of odd, and there's the little problem of low overall religious fealty to Apollo in the world.

Of course, I think this is pretty retarded, but if the treatment isn't emergency treatment I don't think anyone has a ground to stand on in thinking he did anything wrong, legally or unethically. Of course, people have plenty of ground to stand on if they think he's being a ****ing idiot and wouldn't want to go to his clinic, in which case, sign me up for that camp.

But it's his private practice, he can run it (into the ground, it seems) however he wants.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Does he use medicine created by the lies of science or just pray and his patients are magically healed?

Phoenix

BobLoblaw said:
If he's a private practice doctor, he doesn't have to help anybody. Crude yes, but private practice docs can pick and choose.

Even if he's in private practice he can be sued for malpractice for refusing to treat a sick child.

Phoenix

And actually, where in the bible is there any suggestion of tatoos being 'of the devil'? Did he make this up for his own sect of christianity?

JayDubya

Banned
Phoenix said:
Even if he's in private practice he can be sued for malpractice for refusing to treat a sick child.

While technically this is true, you can be sued by anybody for any reason at any time.

Phoenix said:
And actually, where in the bible is there any suggestion of tatoos being 'of the devil'? Did he make this up for his own sect of christianity?

Probably something from old Jewish law like the others were saying, or the whole "body is a temple" schtick.

White Man

Phoenix said:

It's in Leviticus. A quick search turns up: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" This was of course, the old school, ass-kicking, salt pillaring awesome God.

EDIT: Isn't that basically God saying "BECAUSE I SAID SO" like a mom does to little kids?

this is just sad... everyday I find more and more things that make me feel very hesitant to call myself a christian due to these kinds of freaks

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
JayDubya said:
For?

Harm? Oh, and I'm all for a literal hippocratic oath if you are - no abortion, no euthanasia. Of course, technically, no surgery as well, which is really kind of odd, and there's the little problem of low overall religious fealty to Apollo in the world.

Of course, I think this is pretty retarded, but if the treatment isn't emergency treatment I don't think anyone has a ground to stand on in thinking he did anything wrong, legally or unethically. Of course, people have plenty of ground to stand on if they think he's being a ****ing idiot and wouldn't want to go to his clinic, in which case, sign me up for that camp.

But it's his private practice, he can run it (into the ground, it seems) however he wants.

You argue the question with your second point. Revoking his license could save future lives. I'm not sure if I'd agree with it, but this would be the main reason I can think of to take such drastic action.

GhaleonEB

The doctor said he is just following his beliefs, creating a Christian atmosphere for his patients.

Forcing a kid to continue to be in pain because you don't like the way her parents look sounds like Christ-like behaviour to me!

Just wow. ****ing asshole.

JCBossman

Banned
I heard that's why the inn keeper didn't give a Room to Joesph and Mary, he wasn't buying any of that "Virgin Birth" stories...

Seriously though this is bullshit, I would NEVER trust a so called "Christian" Doctor, you aren't sure if you are getting good advise, or ONLY advise that conforms to his WACKO beliefs, Would anyone here want to be treated by say a "Johovahs Witness" ER doctor, after you just lost alot of blood in an accident?

xsarien

daedsiluap
White Man said:
DON'T EAT SHELLFISH, IT IS AN ABOMINATION. BECAUSE I SAID SO.

"But...why?" is usually what I ask when I want to end conversations on Kosher dietary laws with my practicing Jewish friends.

White Man

xsarien said:
"But...why?" is usually what I ask when I want to end conversations on Kosher dietary laws with my practicing Jewish friends.

Because God will get pissed if the Red Lobster in heaven runs out of shrimp, that's why.

lol religion lol

The guy has his head up his ass because he's violating both Christian principles and the Hippocratic Oath.

I'm assuming he must be fundamentalist or evangelical.

xsarien

daedsiluap
White Man said:
Because God will get pissed if the Red Lobster in heaven runs out of shrimp, that's why.

You're lying.

Do you know how I know?

Because God would have something better than Red Lobster in heaven. Don't even SUGGEST that there's an Olive Garden up there too, because aside from the breadsticks the place is worthless. :(

Vormund

Stoney Mason said:
jesus-christ.jpg

"No Shoes, No Shirt, No servith unto thee!"

Yeah it astounds me these Christians...Christ talked with and healed the rejects of society...

JayDubya

Banned
JetSetHero said:
You argue the question with your second point. Revoking his license could save future lives.

Wait, what? Ear infections are fatal?

The Experiment said:
The guy has his head up his ass because he's violating both Christian principles

Sure, I'll agree with that. In general the edicts of the faith apply to personal actions, i.e. you yourself are not supposed to get a tat, but that doesn't mean you should neccessarily shun others that do. I mean, if Jesus is supposed to be an example, and he is, Jesus didn't shun the dregs of society, he walked among them and tried to get them to follow the path of righteousness. Or whatever.

and the Hippocratic Oath.

Not really.

If so, please explain how without being roundabout. :)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I think the main point is that the Doc can do what he wants with his practice, but his actions are not Christian nor can he call himself a practising Christian.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Kusagari said:
Because he's going against the very point of christianity. It's not like the parents themselves came in and required his aide. They wanted him to help their sick child and he would rather have that child suffer because the childs mother has something he disagrees with. Great christian there.

Forget Christianity...he's going against his very oath as a doctor.

ronito

jesus.jpg

I remember when Christianity used to be about love, service and loving your neighbor no matter who he was. LOL, those were the days.

It's sad to say this, but as a Christian it's things like this that give atheists and agnostics a point to some of their arguments.

JayDubya

Banned
Fatghost said:
Forget Christianity...he's going against his very oath as a doctor.

Does anyone even read or know what the Hippocratic Oath is, or even realize how most of it is out of date and irrelevant in general?

"Never do harm" is part of that oath, yes, and it's a wonderful principle, and I agree that doctors should follow it. It's very roundabout to suggest that he's doing harm, though, when we're dealing with something as routine and mundane as an ear infection.

Essentially, I'm saying, yeah, he's being a dick, but it's not like he's doing anything that would or should cause him to lose his license. It's his private practice, his business.

Does it make him a bad Christian? I'm not even going to touch on the religion angle because it's not my place to call someone a good or a bad anything when I'm over here happily committing the sin of daily giving YHWH the middle finger.

Does it make him a bad doctor? Well, I guess in a sense, yeah it does because he's denying a kid service because of something her parents did, which is never fair.

JayDubya said:
Does anyone even read or know what the Hippocratic Oath is, or even realize how most of it is out of date and irrelevant in general?

"Never do harm" is part of that oath, yes, and it's a wonderful principle, and I agree that doctors should follow it. It's very roundabout to suggest that he's doing harm, though, when we're dealing with something as routine and mundane as an ear infection.

Essentially, I'm saying, yeah, he's being a dick, but it's not like he's doing anything that would or should cause him to lose his license. It's his private practice, his business.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2001/02/19/babydeath010219.html

Sometimes it could symptomatic of something else. Of course when you refuse treatment for dumb ass reasons, who would ever know.

Dolphin

Banned
JayDubya said:

Does it make him a bad Christian? I'm not even going to touch on the religion angle because it's not my place to call someone a good or a bad anything when I'm over here happily committing the sin of daily giving YHWH the middle finger.

Does it make him a bad doctor? Well, I guess in a sense, yeah it does because he's denying a kid service because of something her parents did, which is never fair.
To avoid sexual relationships or other inappropriate entanglements with patients and families.
I bet he violates that one. The pedo.

Raistlin

White Man said:
It's in Leviticus. A quick search turns up: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" This was of course, the old school, ass-kicking, salt pillaring awesome God.

EDIT: Isn't that basically God saying "BECAUSE I SAID SO" like a mom does to little kids?

Refer to my previous post (#30).

JayDubya

Banned
Dude seems very authoritarian in general. No chewing gum allowed in his office either.

What a lamer. But can't argue with this logic:

Merrill said he will continue to enforce the rules he has in place, which even include no chewing gum in his office.

He said if they don’t like his beliefs, they can find another doctor.

Yeah, and people really should.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
JayDubya said:

You have a suffering child. Ear infections can lead to permanent hearing damage, but even if it will be fine, the kid is going to be in agony, and you have this doctor, who is clearly doing harm: ie, letting this kid risk hearing damage and suffering.

He's a terrible doctor, and clearly a terrible person. Whether or not he is a terrible Christian is the least relevant discussion point.

JayDubya

Banned
The ear infection is causing pain / discomfort for a patient.

Presuming I was a pediatrician, I can prescribe medicine that might lessen that pain or discomfort. I don't do anything and instead tell the patient to go to a different doctor because of reason x.

Did I "do harm?"

I'd say no. I actually didn't do anything. From a pure medical ethics standpoint, not doing anything helpful is not even in the same ethical ballpark as doing something harmful unless we're talking in the context of an emergency situation requiring immediate action.

At the end of the day, I run a business, and as a business owner I can refuse to serve people. If people don't like the way I run my business, my business will die.

ronito

Fatghost said:
You have a suffering child. Ear infections can lead to permanent hearing damage, but even if it will be fine, the kid is going to be in agony, and you have this doctor, who is clearly doing harm: ie, letting this kid risk hearing damage and suffering.

He's a terrible doctor, and clearly a terrible person. Whether or not he is a terrible Christian is the least relevant discussion point.
I've never met anyone I thought was a terrible person but a good christian. Indeed, I'd say you being a good person is a pre-requisite of being a good christian.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Aristotlekh said:
P.P.S. Also, if the selling point of his business is singularly that of providing a Christian environment, he's not doing a damn thing wrong in the first place.
Tell that to the little girl with the ear infection in the lobby.

Seriously man, don't try to sell us on this guy being a decent guy. He saw a kid in pain and he ignored his duty to help that kid out, all so he could fulfill some illusion that Jesus will like him more. **** him. I'm sure the ninny's he's drinking coffee with after church will like him more because he stood by his values, but don't for one second expect anyone with half a mind to accept that he was just so strongly against the parents that he took it out on the sick kid.

The guy shouldn't be a doctor if he doesn't actually want to, you know, help people.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
bgassassin said:
It's sad to say this, but as a Christian it's things like this that give atheists and agnostics a point to some of their arguments.

it just reinforces the notion that religion separates us rather than unite us.

Which is the problem. Man has perverted many things that were set in place and is the reason for all this division we see today.

ronito said:
I'd say you being a good person is a pre-requisite of being a good christian.

Not true.

JCBossman

Banned
JayDubya said:
The ear infection is causing pain / discomfort for a patient.

Presuming I was a pediatrician, I can prescribe medicine that might lessen that pain or discomfort. I don't do anything and instead tell the patient to go to a different doctor because of reason x.

Did I "do harm?"

I'd say no. I actually didn't do anything. From a pure medical ethics standpoint, not doing anything helpful is not even in the same ethical ballpark as doing something harmful unless we're talking in the context of an emergency situation requiring immediate action.

At the end of the day, I run a business, and as a business owner I can refuse to serve people. If people don't like the way I run my business, my business will die.

That's EXACTLY what the Lunch counters/Hotels etc said of BLACKS in the south...

maharg said:
I'm sorry, I don't remember the bible passage about piercings and tattoos... For all we know, the apostles all had PAs.
"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." Lev 19:28

But Jesus never turned away sinners. I mean, everyone's a sinner. He probably hasn't ever read about the good Samaritan.

Bloodwake

So, this pretty much confirms that Christians basically ignore all of the parts of their religion about showing kindness and mercy towards others and basically just follow the vague parts of the Bible that may or may not condemn tattoos, abortions, stem cell research, homosexuality, racism, etc.

JayDubya

Banned
Bloodwake said:
So, this pretty much confirms that Christians basically ignore all of the parts of their religion about showing kindness and mercy towards others and basically just follow the vague parts of the Bible that may or may not condemn tattoos, abortions, stem cell research, homosexuality, racism, etc.

I would recommend you add the word "some." Because that's really quite unfair to Ronito et al.

JCBossman said:
That's EXACTLY what the Lunch counters/Hotels etc said of BLACKS in the south...

Do you honestly think businesses that racially discriminated would be financially viable nowadays? I sure as hell don't. They'd be boycotted to death and rightfully so.

Bloodwake

JayDubya said:
I would recommend you add the word "some." Because that's really quite unfair to Ronito et al.

Okay. Some.

I still consider myself Christian.

I consider myself one of the few sane ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom