• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian pediatrician denies child service because parents are tattooed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
JayDubya said:
So, before I jet off out of the house, yes it does - the doctor sure pays a lot of green to get his license afterall.

And Christ, I don't think people that live somewhere automatically believe as the majority around them do.

The student goes into medicine knowing what to expect. Nobody does it for the cash - they do it to help people.

I'll take your word for it, but that's what it sounded like.

Edit: that first bit sounds so naive. I know there are other reasons and it's not to Make A Difference (c) all the time - there's always power of course. And girls. But I can't imagine somebody doing it for the money. If you're smart enough to be a doc, you're smart enough to get into ibanking, surely?

White Man

Fatghost said:
No. I would want the College of Physicians to tell doctors what to do, and I would want their opinion informed by what is best for the physical or emotional (but not spiritual or religious) well being of the patient.

I think this is a good solution. Just stamp a federal approval on this and revoke the licenses of people that go against these standards.

JayDubya said:
So, before I jet off out of the house, yes it does - the doctor sure pays a lot of green to get his license afterall.

And Christ, I don't think people that live somewhere automatically believe as the majority around them do.

As I said, education shouldn't be run like a business, either.

JetSetHero said:
Edit: that first bit sounds so naive. I know there are other reasons and it's not to Make A Difference (c) all the time - there's always power of course. And girls. But I can't imagine somebody doing it for the money. If you're smart enough to be a doc, you're smart enough to get into ibanking, surely?
There are plenty of reasons to get into medicine besides money/power/making a difference. It can be a challenging job that is really very interesting. There's plenty of job security. You get to work with your hands if you're in a procedural field, plus your own talent will often make a big difference to your patients in some surgical procedures. You rarely have to just sit at a desk all day long. You're always learning because medicine is always changing. You can get into research or teach if you want. You often get to meet people from all walks of life. People will usually respect you. The list goes on.

Girls, though, are not a reason to get into medicine. Most women don't want medical students, they want doctors. A medical student isn't going to be making any real money or have a life for another 7-10 years, and by that time, you're starting to get old.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Does anybody get into it for the money, though? That was the core of my argument.

The girls bit was a throaway comment :p

ronito said:
I don't see how one could possibly be a good christian without being a good person. I mean if someone is full of charity, love, service, humility, long suffering, patience and good will the christian values you are supposed to espouse how could they not be a good person?

I don't disagree with this statement. What I was referring to was that you said it was a prerequisite. That's what I was saying is not true.

Sure, you can make close to a million a year in some specialties, and that's in addition to great job security. Not too long ago, an opthamologist could get reimbursed $5000 by insurance companies for a 20 minute surgery, although that number's been cut dramatically. Imagine being able to line up 20 patients a day like that. Specialties that see a lot of patients who pay out of pocket are pretty lucrative as well.

To be honest, going into medicine for the money was a legitimate medical school interview answer 30 years ago. That's changed now, but I'm sure many people would think about other careers if the money wasn't there. It may not be their primary motivation, but it sure is a factor.

Triumph

Banned
krypt0nian said:
smokingjesusversion2.gif

"Next patient please..."
HEY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom