• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charcoal

So it looks like Chicago has one theater that offers digital 70mm screenings. Should I do that, or stick with their Dolby Completely Captivating screening with reserved seating and recliners?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So it looks like Chicago has one theater that offers digital 70mm screenings. Should I do that, or stick with their Dolby Completely Captivating screening with reserved seating and recliners?

how often do you get to see a movie on film these days?

go see it on film. Support film. Support better film making methods.

DMczaf

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...d-influence-christopher-nolans-dunkirk-752451

In fact, when Nolan began working on Dunkirk, Saving Private Ryan was the first film he looked at. What he walked away with was not an idea of how to do something similar, but instead how to create a completely different experience than Spielberg's epic -- one that pulled back from the intensity of warfare and leaned more into the tension and suspense.

"For Dunkirk, we watched a really wide range of movies. Steven Spielberg lent me his print of Saving Private Ryan," Nolan told Fandango during an extensive chat prior to the film's release. "What an extraordinary experience, the power of that [film]. Interestingly, that [film] pushes in a different direction because of the intensity, and the gore, and the horror of those sequences. I realized what I wanted for Dunkirk was suspense. The thing about suspense is you can't take your eyes off the screen, and when you're confronted by sheer horror, you tend to avert your eyes. It tends to shut you off to it. We wanted your eyes to be riveted on the screen, so we wanted to create tension in a different way. It's a different form of intensity, I suppose."

Once Nolan locked in on his tone, he went looking for other films for inspiration. Among them were films from the master of tension, Alfred Hitchcock, and even Keanu Reeves' 1994 action movie, Speed.

Keanuuuuuuuuu

Ashhong

Got tickets to free screening at Irvine Spectrum next Wednesday but probably won't bother going. I know it's going to be over an hour wait in line AND it's not even in 70mm. My first experience should be the 70mm IMAX...

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Stupidly excited to see this tonight. Would people be interested in impressions? They would be coming from the rose tinted glasses of an Interstellar and TDKR apologist.

Stupidly excited to see this tonight. Would people be interested in impressions? They would be coming from the rose tinted glasses of an Interstellar and TDKR apologist.
Honestly, I'd be surprised to get impressions from an absolute Nolan film hater! Like you hate all his films but still keep watching? 😂

Chumley

Banned
IMAX Feature for Dunkirk

Also, I think the 3 timelines (hinted at in the video) are
1 for the spitfires (planes), one for the soldiers on the ground, and 1 for the civilians coming to the soldiers' rescue

omg, an elusive shot of the gawd not in a suit

W5RhjCA.jpg

IMAX Feature for Dunkirk

Also, I think the 3 timelines (hinted at in the video) are
1 for the spitfires (planes), one for the soldiers on the ground, and 1 for the civilians coming to the soldiers' rescue

Yeah, Nolan actually confirmed that a while ago.

Mark Rylance and Jack Lowden were on the One Show earlier in the week and they discussed how the film was structured a bit more. Regarding the timeline,
it sounds like the duration of the film is a week for the soldiers, a day for the civilians and an hour for the pilots, or something along those lines. I may have misheard.

FeD.nL

I think the Nolan/van Hoytema combo works even better than Nolan/Pfister. Interstellar looked fantastic and Dunkirk looks even better from everything I've seen. Some gorgeous shots.

Llyranor

I'd just be interested to know if the French defenders are represented properly. A spoiler-tagged response would be great!

Ashhong

DerZuhälter;243337564 said:
So 70mm IMAX or IMAX Laser for a better experience in the IMAX theater in Melbourne? Screensize is identical.

70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm

It’s not just the screensize it's the film...size

kIdMuScLe

So 70mm IMAX or IMAX Laser for a better experience in the IMAX theater in Melbourne? Screensize is identical.

Either is fine cuz nothing gets cropped in those 2 formats. You get the full experience

Lima

Serious question......does that 18k scale up with a better pixels per inch? Or is it just a bigger screen with more resolution?

Depends on the quality of the screen, the projector and how the projectionist handles the print. These are all important factors when considering seeing a 70mm screening.

Let's talk about a regular cinema screen for a second and the difference between 70mm and 4k digital. If the screen has a high quality, the projectionist knows what the fuck he is doing then the 70mm print will always look sharper, film grain will be finer, little details become more clear etc.

4k on even a regular cinema screen ain't shit. That's a pretty bad pixel per inch ratio.

Blader

70mm IMAX is the best possible picture for any movie, and films are very rarely released in that format. Absolutely go for the 70mm IMAX choice if it's available to you.

Vinc

Just found out the IMAX in downtown Montreal will NOT play this in 70mm... despite being a real IMAX theater equipped with a 15/70 projector, and projecting every previous Nolan film in real IMAX. This sucks. Montreal peeps, tweet at Cineplex plz!

shira

I can't believe this is still the main thread for the film.
No riddler best pre-OT thread
Just found out the IMAX in downtown Montreal will NOT play this in 70mm... despite being a real IMAX theater equipped with a 15/70 projector, and projecting every previous Nolan film in real IMAX. This sucks. Montreal peeps, tweet at Cineplex plz!
Is it a real 70mm, if it is lul what are you saving it for

Llyranor

It is criminal. They are still showing 70mm, just not IMAX 70mm.

Montreal, the birthplace of IMAX.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Depends on the quality of the screen, the projector and how the projectionist handles the print. These are all important factors when considering seeing a 70mm screening.

Let's talk about a regular cinema screen for a second and the difference between 70mm and 4k digital. If the screen has a high quality, the projectionist knows what the fuck he is doing then the 70mm print will always look sharper, film grain will be finer, little details become more clear etc.

4k on even a regular cinema screen ain't shit. That's a pretty bad pixel per inch ratio.

Thanks. Time to wait for the reviews now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom