• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopus

Banned
AcmvusTRSCmA8Zo0OXVKFQ.png

3KJq5EofQFW7H1ulCjTpHg.png

cOX07IkUTxaTsUJV8vOPow.png

viYeUQswT8mlKkCAAwIhEQ.png

jett

D-Member
Lmao why a star wars version

Also, that wasn't excessive, it was necessary

lol I didn't really notice.

I honestly find Nolan's movies to be sentimental, despite people thinking they're cold and calculating. There's always people crying their eyes out in these things.

Pachimari

I hate when people talk about fucking IMAX. I can't imagine that many countries in Europe even have this technology. What the fuck are the rest of us gonna do? Watch it in a stupid Liemax? At least it seems my cinema has 70mm projection and I probably won't even notice a difference.

I hate when people talk about fucking IMAX. I can't imagine that many countries in Europe even have this technology. What the fuck are the rest of us gonna do? Watch it in a stupid Liemax? At least it seems my cinema has 70mm projection and I probably won't even notice a difference.

Even Portugal has 2 two imax theaters. We usually have jack shit. Surely most european countries have it. Even if it's not those huge ones.

70mm projection on the other hand...

Lkr

so i have a choice at my regal theater between a LIEMAX experience and a 70mm experience. which should i go to?
Liemax is $19.15/ticket
70mm is $11.70/ticket

i'm assuming based on price alone the liemax isn't worth ~$8 more?

still looking for an opinion on this

Llyranor

You want to know true despair? Imax was founded in Montreal and we don't even get a 70mm Imax showing.

still looking for an opinion on this
From what I understand, 70mm will be better viewing, but Imax will have better sound. I am opting for 70mm myself. The premium pricing is paying for the brand.

Pachimari

Even Portugal has 2 two imax theaters. We usually have jack shit. Surely most european countries have it. Even if it's not those huge ones.

70mm projection on the other hand...
We have a Liemax. Not an IMAX. And only one of them in the entire country. And we are usually at the forefront when it comes to technology.

I don't even know what the 70mm will bring me. And I am sure I won't even notice a difference when watching the movie.

jett

D-Member

The closest IMAX screen is 1800km from where I live.

Yay.

effzee

lol I didn't really notice.

I honestly find Nolan's movies to be sentimental, despite people thinking they're cold and calculating. There's always people crying their eyes out in these things.

I found Inception sentimental. The stuff with his kids, his wife, and the guilt....then again anything with kids gets to me.

Same with Interstellar, Prestige, and the origins scene in BB.

DMczaf

This is how you keep the budget low

Jack Lowden about filming dogfights in Dunkirk said:
“the movement in the cockpit that is actually Chris. He is moving the cockpit and like if you have to get hit by something Chris through it. He’s literally made the film, literally mix it.”

tumblr_osuk1dv7uL1sx964uo1_1280.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So the IMAX @ metreon San Francisco is tru 70mm right? Getting confused by this website.. its where I saw Interstellar.

Dang glad I posted

Metreon does have 70mm but I just wasnt in the right field. Almost bought non 70mm tickets!

bullseye! right in the center

What I wanna know is how does he stay immaculately styled when he's directing a $150 million+ film everyday.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the guy in a T shirt and jeans.

jett

D-Member
I don't mind sentimentality at all, was just making fun of the notion that Nolan doesn't do schmaltz.

What I wanna know is how does he stay immaculately styled when he's directing a $150 million+ film everyday.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the guy in a T shirt and jeans.

I secretly think that's how he get his movies made. He wins all the executives over with his impeccable fashion taste paired with a posh British accent.

Ashhong

So the IMAX @ metreon San Francisco is tru 70mm right? Getting confused by this website.. its where I saw Interstellar.

Dang glad I posted

Metreon does have 70mm but I just wasnt in the right field. Almost bought non 70mm tickets!

I’d sit a few rows back imo

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'd sit a few rows back imo

too late!!
ive been to this screen a million times. when i saw interstellar i think i was too far back. this i think will make the movie more intense.

one time i saw the matrix reloaded all blown up on this theater.

i think i sat around this close for the cameron ghosts of the abyss 3d documentary

HariKari

Nolan films are the only movies I go to in IMAX. The Dark Knight, Rises, Interstellar, and now this.

I'll go legit IMAX if the movie was shot for the format, which Nolan happily does quite a bit. I saw the prologue and it was fantastic, especially the audio. I feel like this movie might end up divisive if the IMAX experience adds a lot to it and people end up watching at home on smaller screens with limited audio later on. Interstellar may be a flawed movie but seeing it in IMAX is one of my all time great movie experiences.

too late!!
ive been to this screen a million times. when i saw interstellar i think i was too far back. this i think will make the movie more intense.

one time i saw the matrix reloaded all blown up on this theater.

i think i sat around this close for the cameron ghosts of the abyss 3d documentary

Yeah, I agree. So many people I know go all the way to the back because they're overcompensating for the craning neck. Center center is the way to go.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I agree. So many people I know go all the way to the back because they're overcompensating for the craning neck. Center center is the way to go.
It actually will be the first time I've been up close, I think. When I saw that 3D docu I just walked in and sat down. But any movie since then I've been in the back. Which does make sense because of the height. Anyway, I'm gonna have eaten quite a few edibles so its gonna be some gnarly business either way.

Ashhong

I like the screen to fill up my entire POV without having to crane my neck. I’ve found the best spot for this to be towards the back. I have to look up if I’m in the center

I’m sure it’ll be even more intense there for this

Dang glad I posted

$19 for one single IMAX ticket? Goddamn no wonder it takes the whole world box office to equal what the US brings to one movie. Your ticket prices are insane! I'll go see this film in IMAX in Mexico and I'll pay like $5 USD for one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I like the screen to fill up my entire POV without having to crane my neck. I've found the best spot for this to be towards the back. I have to look up if I'm in the center

I'm sure it'll be even more intense there for this

For sure. I've deffo got neck and back probos. I'm gonna slouch a bit and look up at a 30 degree angle.
$19 for one single IMAX ticket? Goddamn no wonder it takes the whole world box office to equal what the US brings to one movie. Your ticket prices are insane! I'll go see this film in IMAX in Mexico and I'll pay like $5 USD for one.

dope dude!!!!!!

Mariolee

Baby Driver followed by Spidey followed by Apes followed by Dunkirk.

Best back to back releases for me personally that I can remember. Blessed.

Just got my opening night tickets, center center IMAX for me. No 70mm though :(

So incredibly hyped for this. Saw the preview before Spiderman and it only added fuel to the fire

Chumley

Banned
I'll go legit IMAX if the movie was shot for the format, which Nolan happily does quite a bit. I saw the prologue and it was fantastic, especially the audio. I feel like this movie might end up divisive if the IMAX experience adds a lot to it and people end up watching at home on smaller screens with limited audio later on. Interstellar may be a flawed movie but seeing it in IMAX is one of my all time great movie experiences.

Same. Interstellar was a fucking incredible IMAX showing. Maybe my favorite of all time, just so immersive.

Dommo

In Melbourne, IMAX 70mm tickets cost $38 general seating, premium seating costs $50. Some of the most outrageous shit I've ever seen, so I think I'm gonna skip Nolan IMAX for the first time since pre-TDK.

Dommo

Jesus. That's insane. I feel awful even paying $25.

I think for Interstellar it'd just broken $30, and I folded to that. That's about my limit. $38 is insane. And this new 'premium seating' is basically just a fat chunk of what are the only acceptably viewable seats in the cinema, now turned into recliners. So the seats that I would have sat in for around $21 back in Inception days now costs $50 under the guise of "premium seating."

Some stinky shit right there.

Jeez, I had no idea prices were so crazy. I bought my 70mm IMAX tickets in BC for $13.50 CAD. Seeing it on the Tuesday though, which means cheaper tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom