• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascenion

What's "LieMax"?

The main theater I go to isn't IMax; it's just a 100 foot screen with a 6P laser projector that often does 70mm prints. Is that "LieMax"?

LieMax is multiplex IMAX. Like your mall theater or any theater that got converted to an IMAX theatre. So for example the only actual IMAX theater where I live is he Discovery Place Omnimax dome.

riotous

Banned
LieMax is multiplex IMAX. Like your mall theater or any theater that got converted to an IMAX theatre. So for example the only actual IMAX theater where I live is he Discovery Place Omnimax dome.

Ah OK; the IMAX in Seattle is definitely a legit one, don't think there's any LieMax.

Between the IMAX at the Seattle Center : https://www.geekwire.com/2015/photos-inside-one-of-the-worlds-most-advanced-imax-movie-theaters/

And Cinerama : https://www.cinerama.com/Technology.aspx

I don't think it can get much better lol. Playing with Paul Allen's toys; I do wonder if Cinerama is even profitable. They literally close for an entire day to switch to their old school "Cinerama" screen for old movie marathons.

Charcoal

I'm so mad that Chicago doesn't currently have a real IMAX theater.

Why must you give Chris a rolling brown-out on his special day? :(

You got a vid or link for this?
Sorry brah no idea where it's at.. I remember I think Mathew mentioned it that it was jarring that they had this interview in Nolan's house and didn't talk about the movie.

He also had to read the script before accepting while a guy stood there since Nolan doesn't just hand them out due to secrecy lol

shira

What's "LieMax"?

The main theater I go to isn't IMax; it's just a 100 foot screen with a 6P laser projector that often does 70mm prints. Is that "LieMax"?

imax.JPG

When you walk into a liemax you know you got bamboozled.
You are paying like double fee for a standard screen

Llyranor

If I only have the choice between 70mm and regular Imax (Liemax?), 70mm is better, right? Montreal doesn't have 70mm Imax :/

Guzim

imax.JPG

When you walk into a liemax you know you got bamboozled.
You are paying like double fee for a standard screen
There's a LieMAX at the theater I normally go to, and it's still a big screen. But when I went to the Lincoln Square IMAX, I gasped. It's awesome.

Seems Mr. Nolan turns down interviews from internet bloggers.

He probably doesn't want to field questions about Dark Knight 4 and Inception 2.

Blader

If I only have the choice between 70mm and regular Imax (Liemax?), 70mm is better, right? Montreal doesn't have 70mm Imax :/
Heh, I was just thinking that myself. Normally Liemax is a waste of money and can actually make the picture look worse by blowing it up, but since this movie was shot nearly entirely on IMAX, I'd think it would still look good in Liemax? Maybe?

70mm is tricky because it depends on how good the theater setup is and it depends on the projectionist. I've seen really striking 70mm showings and really not that great ones. So maybe if you're going to a chain theater, see it in Liemax where's there less room for projection error, but if you're seeing it at an indie theater run by people who know what they're doing, spring for 70mm?

Heh, I was just thinking that myself. Normally Liemax is a waste of money and can actually make the picture look worse (because it's being blown up) but since this movie was shot nearly entirely on IMAX, I'd think it would still look good in Liemax? Maybe?

Yeah, you still get the aspect ratio changes at the very least

Hrmmm...

Harkins (regional chain) has both a Cine Capri showing and a 70mm showing, not sure which... Cine Capri is their premium theatre, with their "best" projection and sound system (never seen a movie on their Cine Capri screen), but then... if it's not 70mm, does that matter too much? Hell, I don't even know whether it's 70mm or not actually, doesn't say...

Anyone know which one to go with?

robotrock

Banned
I don't think my IMAX shows actual 70mm prints but I think it's still the proper IMAX crazy aspect ratio?

Anywhere I can look up to see if I'm getting the real deal experience

Dominator

I'll never forget, my brother was turning 21 and my family was in Atlantic City. I couldn't gamble because I wasn't old enough so since we were at the Tropicana I decided to see a movie at the theater there.

John Carter was playing and holy fuck that screen blew my mind. Gigantic.

Ashhong

Fyi this isn't always true. All 3 socal imaxes I can think of are associated and or a part of a mall.

Yeah, you still get the aspect ratio changes at the very least

Unless I'm mistaken, if it's not the 70mm print you won't get any of the benefits, including the aspect ratio changes etc

duckroll

Liemax costs the same as the real deal?

I lol'd.

I think what people don't realize about this is that the idea of a "real deal" for IMAX is rapidly going away. Large 70mm projections are a thing of the past and anything that exists now is legacy. Digital IMAX which people are pushing as "LieMAX" is essentially IMAX's current and future business. This applies not just to cinemas but to distribution and cameras as well. Filmmakers like Nolan who actually care about the glory of 70mm might fight to the end, but the reality is that IMAX isn't really interested in pushing that much anymore.

They want to push Digital IMAX cameras, Digital IMAX3D cameras, Digital IMAX screens, and digital distribution of films, because that's how you expand globally. Most countries don't have the space or the audience to justify 70mm stand alone screens. But there are plenty of people willing to pay double for what is advertised as a prestige experience under the IMAX brand.

IMAX isn't adding 70mm screens anywhere. They don't really want filmmakers to make 70mm IMAX films when they can make Digital IMAX films instead. So why would they charge less for Digital IMAX tickets when this is their future?

the one thing way better about even LieMAX is the sound. i saw mad max first in one and the successive screenings in regular theaters just didn't have the right intensity.

Pachimari

The cinemas here in Denmark just opened up for bookings, and I see one of them have 70mm. What does this mean? Does it mean I will watch the movie with a wider screen? Or is it only certain scenes which will be wider?

July 20th at 10

would have gone a bit earlier in the night but all the middle seats were taken. I am so hyped for this. IMAX prologue for Dunkirk was more nuts than the entire movie that followed it. This is gonna be a dope theater experience.

Sevenfold

Well after lurking this thread for weeks and learning all about Imax I've booked my second ever solo trip to the movies (first was Moon) In fact I haven't been to the cinema since The green room (which I thought was garbage)
I picked the Manchester Printrooms 70mm screen and called them on the 7th. The lady I spoke to didn't know much other than not a single ticket for any showing had been sold. I informed her that the website said 7th for ticket sales but it was TBC in the late aft. Had a go today and got myself a VIP seat 2/3 of the way to the back right in the middle for the 24th at 12:40. I am stoked!
Anything you wish you'd known the first time you went to share with an IMax newb?

DSN2K

Did anyone listen to Supermarine by Hans Zimmer yet? last minute or so I felt like I was being hunted down by METAL GEAR LOL

Fantastic track mind I cant wait.

DMczaf

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...trailer-on-p132-no-spoilers-allowed/?page=228

Excerpts from Nolan's interview with Playboy

Excerpts from his interview with Playboy:

On ambiguity in his films:

"I had an interesting moment with my brother Jonathan during the Venice Film Festival in 2000, the first time we ever showed Memento publicly. I had no idea whether we would get booed out of the cinema, but we got a standing ovation that went on and on. Afterward, I was asked at a press conference what the meaning of the ending was, and I gave my response. While I was having dinner with my brother later he said, "You can't ever do that." I was like, "Well, I just answered the question." He said, "The point of the film you made is that your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's."

I hadn't thought of it in that way, but a lightbulb kind of went off. The film has productive ambiguity to the end, as does Inception. I have to know the truth as I see it for that ambiguity to be genuine, as opposed to it being evasion. But the point Jonathan made to me and that I've carried with me ever since is that I can't ever tell people what I think, because they will always elevate that above the ambiguity, the mystery. And they shouldn't, because the text, the grammar of the film is telling you :You can't know these things. They're unknowable, because they're unknowable for the characters."

On Harry Styles:

"He's fabulous in the film. Again, we auditioned many people. He earned it. He's a superb talent and really delivered the goods with great passion. I'm excited for people to see what he's done in the film. We're trying not to oversell that, because it's an ensemble film. But he's pretty terrific in my opinion."

On slowly earning the studio's trust:

"When studios give you millions of dollars for your film, the best way to secure yourself creative freedom is to stay on time and on budget. If you're the one they're not worried about as you're shooting, if you're not the fire they have to put out, they'll leave you alone. If they don't feel taken advantage of, that's a huge asset to you as a filmmaker, in terms of your creative freedom, and they reward you for that.

...and people always miss this key piece. After Memento, I did Insonmia for Warner Brothers, with Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. I worked with movie stars. It had action. It had locations. So I did my $3 million film Memento, then I got to do a $47 million movie. That gave the studio a kind of comfort with letting me go to the next step with Batman Begins. That was fortunate because film makers today aren't being given the same chance. People are being taken straight from Sundance and then given $250 million films to direct. When I'm used as an example of how that can work, you want to put your hand up and go, "No, that isn't what happened." I value that I got to do a medium-budget studio thriller or drama. Those are getting harder and harder to make."

On watching war films during the writing process:

"Early on in my process, we took a look at The Thin Red Line, a great favourite of mine. It feels like it could be any war, any time, and it's very poetic, but that didn't feel right for what we were doing. We watched All Quiet On The Western Front, which James Jones described in an essay as a film that says war turns men into animals, and the longer they're at war, the more animalistic they become. After that, what else is there to say? Steven Spielberg lent me his print of Saving Private Ryan, which was as shocking and unpleasant as I remembered. The second those bullets start flying, you didn't want to be in the theater. That pushed us to go in a more Hitchcock direction—to create a different kind of tension, one that allows you to look at the screen a bit more and not hide your eyes."

On the approach for his type of war film:

"Taking a more suspense-based, thriller-based approach actually freed me up. Dunkirk is all about physical process, all about tension in moment, not backstories. It's all about "Can this guy get across a plank over this hole?" We care about him. We don't want him to fall down. We care about these people because we're human beings and we have basic empathy. There's a very intense quality to it and we put the audience through a lot, but there's tremendous positivity that results from that."

On regrets and directors cuts:

"I always say that the audience tells me what the film is. That doesn't mean we always agree. But audiences seeing the film—that's the final piece of the creative process. It's like exposing copper to the elements. It changes what the thing is. But it doesn't make me want to go back and have at it again.

I've always viewed the filmmaking prcoess as almost like a life performance or something. I would do reshoots if I had to, but I trust the production period. It's like, okay, I've got six months to shoot the film and then I've got three months to do my first cut. I've always tried to trust those pressures and limitations and stand by the film by the end of it. Otherwise, where would you stop? You'd never finish. It's an imperfect medium. It always has been. Every film is imperfect. If there's someething I've been unsatisfied about, you leave it and trust what it was. The impetus is to try to do better on the next film."

On whether he still wants to do a Bond movie:

"A Bond movie, definitely. I've spoken to the producers Barara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson over the years. I deeply love the character, and I'm always excited to see what they do with it. Maybe one that would work out. You'd have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you. And they're getting along very well."

Tom Hardy Bond film with Bale as the villain, with Guy Pearce buying a ticket to see it!

Let's do this !

Hyun Sai

"When studios give you millions of dollars for your film, the best way to secure yourself creative freedom is to stay on time and on budget. If you're the one they're not worried about as you're shooting, if you're not the fire they have to put out, they'll leave you alone. If they don't feel taken advantage of, that's a huge asset to you as a filmmaker, in terms of your creative freedom, and they reward you for that."

That's about right.

I also like his approach on the war genre. Many of these movies put emphasis on the gore and it really puts me off. That's why I really enjoyed Enemy at the gates.

NYR94

Excerpts from Nolan's interview with Playboy

That was fortunate because film makers today aren't being given the same chance. People are being taken straight from Sundance and then given $250 million films to direct. When I'm used as an example of how that can work, you want to put your hand up and go, "No, that isn't what happened." I value that I got to do a medium-budget studio thriller or drama. Those are getting harder and harder to make."

Interesting interview, especially this part.

"When studios give you millions of dollars for your film, the best way to secure yourself creative freedom is to stay on time and on budget. If you're the one they're not worried about as you're shooting, if you're not the fire they have to put out, they'll leave you alone. If they don't feel taken advantage of, that's a huge asset to you as a filmmaker, in terms of your creative freedom, and they reward you for that."

That's about right.

I also like his approach on the war genre. Many of these movies put emphasis on the gore and it really puts me off. That's why I really enjoyed Enemy at the gates.

Yeah, I think this is something even the greats have to learn. Spielberg is known for working fast and finishing shoots early but that wasn't always the case with what happened on Jaws and 1941.

NateDog

Every new interview pumps me up for this movie. Really hope I can finally find out what days I'm off the week of release to finally book it in for my birthday.

The playboy interview is pretty good (I'm not sure I can link the whole thing on GAF). It's funny he said the filmmaker who he was more obsessed as a young guy was Ridley Scott and he mentions his huge adoration for Blade Runner.

That's one of the 31 theaters in the states that has it in 70mm IMAX (heres the full list). I'd say get a group of friends and go (or go alone). Hang out around town and watch the movie at night or something.
Oh shit, I didn't know it was a 70mm theater.

Yea I think I'm gonna have to go then, road trip with some friends and enjoy Nashville while we're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom