• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger Advance... Will it happen?

CO_Andy

The Chrono Trigger franchise seems all but forgotten in Square's latest list of cash-ins of FF spin-offs, ports, and remakes (in addition to the occasional terrible Seiken sequel).

Imagine a CT updated w/ FF Advance's enhancements: proper translation, character dialogue portraits, bonus dungeons, and portability (additional quests to tie-in w/ Chrono Cross wouldn't hurt either).

Oh, and i guess it also deserves release on Euro shores. Have pity on our Euro brethren for missing out on what some critics call the greatest RPG of the SNES era.

Idioteque

Probably not, but I don't care since I own the SNES version.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see it on Virtual Console though.

MoxManiac

didn't Nintendo and/or S-E confirm CT for Virtual Console? Hell, I think it was one of the first titles announced.

Ryun1

It amazes me that this isn't one of those huge franchises that Squenix is so great at pumping out. I LOVED, chrono trigger, but never played Chrono Cross. Was it bad? Did it kill the series?

MoxManiac said:
didn't Nintendo and/or S-E confirm CT for Virtual Console? Hell, I think it was one of the first titles announced.
No Square titles have been announced, just that they will support it along with oodles of other companies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Chrono Trigger: Dual Saga, which is Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross retold in one story, remade for the DS!

Deku

Banned
Chrono Franchise is R.I.P. and deader than Dreamcast. Stop asking questions.

Sakaguchi has been fired /constructively dismissed by Square. Horii hasn't been involved since Trigger, and Chrono Cross was based on a SFC text adventure that tied up some unresolved plot elements from Trigger.

There's no script/scenario to work from.

Even if its just a port, it seems like S-E has a hard time bothering with their dead franchises or those on life-support.

Kazenone

Deku said:
Sakaguchi has been fired /constructively dismissed by Square. Horii hasn't been involved since Trigger, and Chrono Cross was based on a SFC text adventure that tied up some unresolved plot elements from Trigger.

Didn't Sakaguchi resign, after being demoted?

stiltskin

first... square doesnt like to do remakes (other than FF3). they make new games based off the old ones. so what we may see one day is a new Chrono game. But who knows.

second... have u guys not heard of Chrono Resurrection? google it, you will be very pleased.

Kazenone

stiltskin said:
second... have u guys not heard of Chrono Resurrection? google it, you will be very pleased.

That was discontinued due to legal threats by Square-Enix. Also, who says it has to be a remake? They can just port it like Final Fantasy Advance, which I think alot of people would prefer - the original is always better.

SE will likely use a VC release to test the amount of interest that still exists for this series. If it manages to sell well, they'll probably consider making a new game. I don't think Sakaguchi and Co. being gone will stop them from extending the series.

As to the possibility of an enhanced portable release? It won't happen on GBA for sure. If the VC version sells well, there's a good chance of a DS release also I would say.

Grampasso

It's not like they forgot the series. It's just that they can't continue it. THe one holding the copyright for the series has left SE, so another chapter will never be made :°
Source: SE collaborator
EDIT: It's actually for this reason they had to stop developing Chrono Break on PS2

Soul4ger

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a DS version pop up... But it won't be for a while, considering everything Square Enix has on its plate at the moment. I'd say an Advance port is out of the question. But I definitely wouldn't mind being wrong.

CO_Andy said:
Imagine a CT updated w/ FF Advance's enhancements: proper translation, character dialogue portraits, bonus dungeons, and portability (additional quests to tie-in w/ Chrono Cross wouldn't hurt either).

Did Chrono Trigger have a bad translation? Other than some character and item names, I thought it was much closer to the source material than most other SNES RPGs brought over. Do you have any examples of what was different?

CO_Andy said:
Have pity on our Euro brethren for missing out on what some critics call the greatest RPG of the SNES era.

I hate that the VC is region-locked. Short of licensing, there is no reason for it. (Not even the PAL/NTSC difference, really.) And I thought Nintendo spent most of this time getting the licenses cleared up.

ronito

The only way SquarEnix would bring back Chrono Trigger would be if some how Crono had been in FFVII.

Which he wasn't.

So there wont be one.

jarrod

Banned
CO_Andy said:
Oh, and i guess it also deserves release on Euro shores. Have pity on our Euro brethren for missing out on what some critics call the greatest RPG of the SNES era.
Virtual Console ftw!

Deku

Banned
Kazenone said:
Didn't Sakaguchi resign, after being demoted?

hence my comment about contructive dismissal. But its essentially being fired when you get put in a window seat.

tehrafe

Maybe if they develop a good working snes emu for DS, then you could play Chrono Trigger... but that will still take a good while :\

I'd love Chrono Trigger for GBA or DS though

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Grampasso said:
It's not like they forgot the series. It's just that they can't continue it. THe one holding the copyright for the series has left SE, so another chapter will never be made :°
EDIT: It's actually for this reason they had to stop developing Chrono Break on PS2

wow,you have the source for that information?,i always thought that SE had the copyright of the entire series.

Grampasso

demonkid666 said:
Grampasso, who's the copyright holder? Could he stop square from putting the game on the virtual console?
In all honesty I don't know, this friend of mine wouldn't tell, even if he's very close to me. We can only suppose between one of those in the Chrono team who left after the Chrono Trigger remake for PSX.

Grampasso

Maybe there's still hope, from Wikipedia, on Chrono Break:

The registration followed a press report of talks about a new Chrono series game. Within this report, Hironobu Sakaguchi mentioned that the team of Chrono Cross, especially Masato Kato, was interested in developing a new game in the series, and that script and story ideas were currently being considered. The project had not been greenlighted.[2] While Squaresoft did not publish any official news, this registration led many in the video game community to believe that a sequel to the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross was in full development. However, Masato Kato and others who worked on Chrono Cross—such as Yasuyuki Honne—meanwhile departed to work for Monolith Soft, and Squaresoft published no news concerning a sequel. On 2003-11-13, the trademark was dropped in the United States.

And then this which takes us to our days:
Possible reasons for cancellation

It is possible that the sales of Chrono Cross—totaling 1.5 million—compared to the performance of contemporary Final Fantasy games—each achieving over 5 million sales[5]—contributed to a decision to suspend the series. Hopes for a sequel have been recently raised as Masato Kato has returned to Square Enix to work on Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 4.[6] Additionally, in an interview at a PLAY! concert in May 2006, Yasunori Mitsuda stated an interest in composing for a new game in the series.[7] These hopes are also padded by the good working relationship between Kato and Mitsuda, as the two collaborated to release Kirite, an album complemented by a storybook. In September 2005, Kato and Mitsuda again teamed up to do a game called Deep Labyrinth for the Nintendo DS.[8] Additionally, Mitsuda announced in 2005 that a new Chrono Cross arranged album was in the works; as of May 2006, it is tentatively "out within the year".[7] These, combined with Square Enix's recent polls that list Chrono Trigger as an option for game porting to handheld systems, suggest that interest in the Chrono series has not completely dwindled at the company and that a new itineration may eventually be made. Fans continue to write letters and e-mails—to both Square Enix USA and Japan headquarters—requesting Chrono Break.[9] As of 2006, an official cancellation announcement has not yet to be made, and it's possible that development of the game has been carried over to one or more of the seventh generation era gaming systems.

The End

If we're going the DS route here, I'd much rather see a 2.5D remake of Chrono Cross than a 3d remake of CT.

Oh, and for the nintendo fans in this threads, Chrono Cross was arguably a better game than Chrono Trigger, but the 3d graphics have aged badly.

Either way, I'd much rather see a fully 3-d version that lives up to the art design of CC on the PS3 (let's not kid ourselves about which next-gen console is going to get the top-tier RPGs)

MrDaravon

Grampasso said:

Uh, are you sure about that? In an interview over at IGN with the FFXI team (apparently many of whom worked on Chrono), they said that they'd love to do a new Chrono game, but they're all working fulltime on FFXI. I seriously doubt it's a copyright issue.

Found it:

IGN: And one final question -- what's the next project for your team? Can we expect Chrono Cross 2, Chrono Trigger 3, Chrono Break, or whatever it is that you decide to call it?

Richard: [Laughs] Final Fantasy XI is pretty much it for a while. We still have a lot of possible expansion packs we could do, and plenty of support to give. As far as Chrono is concerned, that's huge; but we can't do two or three things at the same time, and it's tough to do FFXI and another Chrono game at the same time or too close together. We'd love to do one though, but yeah, not yet.

duckroll

It's bullshit. Square Enix retains all rights to Chrono Trigger as well as Xenogears. Their unwillingness to continue the series have more to do with no one at Square feeling real "ownership" for the series more than anything else.

It is unlikely there will be another Chrono game because Masato Kato is now freelance as a scenario writer, and as such while he will continue working with Square Enix on contract projects, it is unlikely that he would direct a game again. This does not rule out a remake of the original CT or more ports though.

jarrod

Banned
The End said:
Oh, and for the nintendo fans in this threads, Chrono Cross was arguably a better game than Chrono Trigger, but the 3d graphics have aged badly.
Arguably sure, but good luck pushing that argument. You'll have to fight off the hordes of both Nintendo and Square fanboys, surely a fate worse than death.

Personally I think Trigger's decent but hugely overrated, like most Square SNES games. Cross put me to sleep though.

Tumalu

I doubt we'll see a CT port on the GBA. Personally I'd rather see it on the DS anyway (not in 3D though – I'd rather just have an updated port). Who knows if we'll see something like that though.

The End said:
Chrono Cross was arguably a better game than Chrono Trigger

You probably shouldn't be saying those sorts of things too loud.
I agree wholeheartedly.

3D REMAKE FOR DS PLZ. Using the DQMJ engine!

John Harker said:
Chrono Trigger: Dual Saga, which is Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross retold in one story, remade for the DS!

That's actually not a bad idea...

The End

jarrod said:
Arguably sure, but good luck pushing that argument. You'll have to fight off the hordes of both Nintendo and Square fanboys, surely a fate worse than death.

Personally I think Trigger's decent but hugely overrated, like most Square SNES games. Cross put me to sleep though.

There's definitely a slow patch in the beginning of CC before
Lynx steals your body
and the "Big Plot" really kicks off, but after that, it's pretty fast paced.

MrDaravon

There's no way we'll get a port to GBA; the system is dead in Japan. As far as I know, FFV and FFVI Advance are the last two GBA releases. DS port hopefully, but we'll see.

Alex

"Chrono Trigger: Dual Saga, which is Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross retold in one story, remade for the DS!"

Chrono Cross rocks face, do this!

Top Bottom