• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHES- Every Open Eye |OT| Clearest Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Pro tip: Take the Special Edition and remove Martin's songs. Congratulations you've unlocked the Definitive Edition. It fittingly ends with "Back Down" which I can totally envision playing during the credits of a number of 80s movie. Incredible song.

Extremely impressed by Lauren's overall growth as a musician. She's improved as a writer, her
melodies are more complex and dynamic, and she just comes across as a stronger, more confident vocalist which shines through on pretty much every track. Can't wait to hear what she does going forward, with and without Chvrches.

Anyway, After 5 straight listens over the weekend this is definitely my AOTY so far.

Mission

Is there no way to get Up in Arms?

It seems to be exclusive to just the German Amazon edition, wtf is up with that??

It's also available in the USA from a Target exclusive. I had a friend pick me one up on the weekend since I'm in Canada.

Pro tip: Take the Special Edition and remove Martin's songs. Congratulations you've unlocked the Definitive Edition. It fittingly ends with "Back Down" which I can totally envision playing during the credits of a number of 80s movie. Incredible song.

I think I'd put Martin at +1 / -1 for this album, and even just slightly on the minus. I do have a problem with how I want to sequence the album with the SE because I think it should end on Afterglow. I'm tempted to move the bonus tracks to the front of the order somewhere because I don't think Never Ending Circles was a great choice to start the CD.

Nameless

It's also available in the USA from a Target exclusive. I had a friend pick me one up on the weekend since I'm in Canada.

I think I'd put Martin at +1 / -1 for this album, and even just slightly on the minus. I do have a problem with how I want to sequence the album with the SE because I think it should end on Afterglow. I'm tempted to move the bonus tracks to the front of the order somewhere because I don't think Never Ending Circles was a great choice to start the CD.

It's not even that I really dislike "High Enough to Carry You Over" , it's just a major momentum killer/combo breaker and I think the album plays better going from "Clearest Blue" to "Empty Threat".

I had same thought originally about "Afterglow", but liked how everything flowered with "Back Down" closing the record.

danowat

Banned
Surprisingly good so far. Haven't listened to the entire album, got distracted at lunch, but it's definitely much better than I anticipated.

Nice :)

Found out this morning I can't listen to track 8, Downside of me, in the car, there is some percussion that sounds exactly like my indicators!

chris121580

I will be shocked if a better album comes out this year. This feels like a masterpiece to me with zero missteps. Absolutely love it. I never thought they could top their debut

C4Lukins

So an interesting thing I have noticed. Looking at metacritic, the views or comments of the lead singer have had a similar sort of backlash as we have seen in Gamergate and other such mob attacks on individuals based on user reviews.

Just thought I would mention it. So far I really enjoy the album. I need to give it several more listens. Lyrically it seems a little more pedestrian but musically maybe a bit better. Either way I am having fun with it.

danowat

Banned
So an interesting thing I have noticed. Looking at metacritic, the views or comments of the lead singer have had a similar sort of backlash as we have seen in Gamergate and other such mob attacks on individuals based on user reviews.

There is a fair bit of history behind it.

As she is a feminist, and has been upstanding about misogynistic abuse of woman online, it has attracted more.

It's a real sad spotlight on some of the sad individuals that populate the internet, some nasty people about.

TripOpt55

Went to the show in Philly last night and they were awesome! Really great energy, cool light setups, and Lauren was funny when talking between songs. "Clearest Blue" was my favorite of the live performances last night. Tried to take some pics, but with all the lights and stuff they have during the performance it was kind of tough and my phone is pretty old so doesn't have the best camera. Here are a few that came out okay.

chvrches-live-2.jpg

chvrches-live-1.jpg

chvrches-live-3.jpg

chvrches-live-4.jpg

Anyway, it was really fun. Definitely worth seeing if you have the chance.

ryseing

Just thought I would mention it. So far I really enjoy the album. I need to give it several more listens. Lyrically it seems a little more pedestrian but musically maybe a bit better. Either way I am having fun with it.

Lauren refuses to go the normal pop singer route, which I totally respect. She doesn't take misogynist shit from anyone.

She has a master's in journalism and is smart as a whip, so she knows what she's talking about. Her piece in The Guardian is great.

C4Lukins

Lauren refuses to go the normal pop singer route, which I totally respect. She doesn't take misogynist shit from anyone.

She has a master's in journalism and is smart as a whip, so she knows what she's talking about. Her piece in The Guardian is great.

Yeah I read it. In this day and age I would not even want to engage with an online community, but she is super brave to attempt it. A lot of dark hateful people.

Anyway after a few more listens, the first half of the album is good, but I love the second half. And the special edition tracks Get Away and Follow You are among my favorites, and coming after Afterglow that is as strong of a three song combo as I have ever heard. Great stuff. Odd that two of those songs did not make it.

Get Away is very similar to a Lorde track though. I thought it was a cover when I first heard it. but no it goes off in its own way. But I think it would be an amazing single, but it is super Lorde.

valeo

More of a 'shower' than a 'grower' for me. Loved it on first listen, only kinda liked it after 5 or so more listens, now i'm a bit meh.

Make Them Gold is my favourite.

Man, I'm just not feeling it at all. It's just so generic and boring to me.

I was a huge stan of the EP and their debut LP. Probably the biggest Chvrches stan on these boards but this album just does nothing for me. it leaves me emotionally empty while listening, which is the opposite of The Bones of What You Believe did to me.

It also doesn't help that the pop game is really strong this year.

More of a 'shower' than a 'grower' for me. Loved it on first listen, only kinda liked it after 5 or so more listens, now i'm a bit meh.

Make Them Gold is my favourite.
I'm the opposite. I didn't like it at first but I'm liking it more with every listen

gdt

Went to the show in Philly last night and they were awesome! Really great energy, cool light setups, and Lauren was funny when talking between songs. "Clearest Blue" was my favorite of the live performances last night. Tried to take some pics, but with all the lights and stuff they have during the performance it was kind of tough and my phone is pretty old so doesn't have the best camera. Here are a few that came out okay.

Anyway, it was really fun. Definitely worth seeing if you have the chance.

Hey I was there too! She was indeed amazing. The best was when some douche threw his jock strap on stage.

We had an amazing time. They indeed blew the doors off.

Menome

After a week of listening, this is a strong contender for Album of The Year™ for me. The debut album didn't live up to the hype at all but this has gotten me hooked. If they keep up this level of quality I'm quite happy to start my 'canon' chronology from here. Great stuff all around.

I was at the Philly show too. GODDAMN. That light set/stage got even better than the last time at Union Transfer. Love that shit.

Easily in the Top Tier of all albums this year. Just got off a bender of listening to their vids and live stuff and covers on Youtube.

Amazing band.

Dead

well not really...yet
How many people have heard Up in the Arms, on the Target release?

This song is a hidden fucking gem. I'm shocked it's not on the album proper to be honest.

Monocle

This album is better than I initially thought, and I liked it a lot. Bury You has grown on me recently.

Very very pleased atm. Chvrches is easily my favorite contemporary band.

SaganIsGOAT

Down Side of Me is by far my favorite song. The lyrics, "You're not the same, not the same" with the amazing beat speak to me on a spiritual level. Love this song 😻🙌🙏

This is my first time listening to this band, and I'm really loving them so far.

One thing is I was reading that there are retailer exclusive bonus tracks and stuff. Is there a way to get a version with all of those?

Monocle

This is my first time listening to this band, and I'm really loving them so far.

One thing is I was reading that there are retailer exclusive bonus tracks and stuff. Is there a way to get a version with all of those?
The closest thing would be the Target edition.

Here are the bonus tracks:

12. "Up in Arms"
13. "Get Away"
14. "Follow You"
15. "Bow Down"
16. "Leave a Trace" (Live at Pitchfork Music Festival)
17. "Clearest Blue" (Live at Pitchfork Music Festival)

Wikipedia lists what you get with the various editions.

AHA-Lambda

How many people have heard Up in the Arms, on the Target release?

This song is a hidden fucking gem. I'm shocked it's not on the album proper to be honest.

Haven't even got to hear it! There seems to be no (legal) way to get it in the UK, it's totally fucking stupid >_>

They're from Glasgow FFS!

I know retailer exclusive stuff probably has absolutely nothing to do with the band themselves and is all just marketing crap but man does it suck.

To me at least its way worse that game preorder/retailer exclusive things because most of the time they tend to be throwaway stuff that is just a nice little extra that doesn't really affect the core game. Extra songs is a pretty huge thing, particularly considering this is a band with a real high hit-miss ratio. And as Lambda says, being from the UK means I literally can't get them legally :/

ryseing

Spotify has three of the bonus tracks. No live stuff unfortunately.

The CD is on Amazon for like 9 bucks, and comes with the MP3 version of the Special Edition for free. Jumped on that shit immediately.

Bow Down is AMAZING. Might be my favorite Chvrches track now. Keep You On My Side, Make Them Gold, Clearest Blue, and Playing Dead are damn, damn good too.

danowat

Banned
Man, I'm just not feeling it at all. It's just so generic and boring to me.

I was a huge stan of the EP and their debut LP. Probably the biggest Chvrches stan on these boards but this album just does nothing for me. it leaves me emotionally empty while listening, which is the opposite of The Bones of What You Believe did to me.

It also doesn't help that the pop game is really strong this year.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Even though it's wrong, very, very wrong........

;)

Necrovex

Haven't even got to hear it! There seems to be no (legal) way to get it in the UK, it's totally fucking stupid >_>

They're from Glasgow FFS!

This is how I also feel. I live in South Africa. I have no legitimate ways to get the Target copy of this release! Humbug!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Down Side of Me is probably the best song these guys are ever going to make. I hope they make it a single.

Just listened a couple times. Solid & enjoyable album. Very similar to the first but a bit less memorable. I'm fine with that for now.

Keep listening. It's a hell of a grower. I felt that way at first but now it's one of those rare albums where I think every single song is fantastic.

HvySky

Not sure how everyone else has taken to it, but 'Bury It' is my JAM right now! I've honestly enjoyed every song on the album after multiple listens, and 'Bow Down' is definitely another contender for my favorite track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom