• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHES- Every Open Eye |OT| Clearest Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who went to the show, how long did they play for? Got tickets to the show in LA and just trying to get a rough eta for the babysitter...

Drensch

Saw them In Cbus tonight. Surprised how well Science/Visions comes across live.
But Clearest Blue is the killer, I expect it to be remixed like crazy.

Halcyon

I had not really heard of Chvrches till I saw them on Fallon the other night. I gave their new album a listen and I fell in love with it. I've listened to it a few times every day at work.

It hits that kind of mellow vibe I like in my music. My favorite track is Down Side of Me but I generally like the album as a whole(in the same way I liked Random Access Memories)

Monocle

I had not really heard of Chvrches till I saw them on Fallon the other night. I gave their new album a listen and I fell in love with it. I've listened to it a few times every day at work.

It hits that kind of mellow vibe I like in my music. My favorite track is Down Side of Me but I generally like the album as a whole(in the same way I liked Random Access Memories)
Make sure to check out their excellent first album, The Bones of What You Believe.

After buying the album and listening to it more it has grown on me. Overall I don't think any single song is as distinctive as Recover on the first album (at least not yet). It is samey, but yet improved at the same time. Hard to describe. I don't think there any real duds, when there was 1 or 2 on The Bones of What You Believe.

SKINNER!

Banned
Can't get enough of "Playing Dead". Listening to it on repeat in the car and it's so catchy! Still prefer the first album though as the tracks on that stand out more but this this a solid sophomore album.

BTM

Can't get enough of "Playing Dead". Listening to it on repeat in the car and it's so catchy! Still prefer the first album though as the tracks on that stand out more but this this a solid sophomore album.

Best song on the album for sure.

El Topo

The more I listen to it, the more I become convinced that Bow Down is the best song. Either way, if any of you didn't get the bonus songs, you're missing out on some great songs.

So I've listened to EOE through a few times and I've just decided to rank every track out of 5.

EOE is basically a more polished iteration of Bones' sound, which is fine, I think. It's a more cohesive and polished album than Bones, and it does feel like an album as opposed to a bunch of EP tracks and filler. But I feel the great tracks on Bones are better than the great tracks on EOE. I think they end up being the same overall though.

Never Ending Circles: 3.5 / 5
Leave A Trace: 4.5 / 5
Keep You On My Side: 4.5 / 5
Make Them Gold: 2.5 / 5
Clearest Blue: 4 / 5
High Enough To Carry You Over: 0.5 / 5
Empty Threat: 5 / 5
Down Side Of Me: 2 / 5
Playing Dead: 4 / 5
Bury It: 2.5 / 5
After Glow: 1.5 / 5

Deluxe edition bonus track ranking.

Get Away: 3.5 / 5
Follow You: 0 / 5
Bow Down: 3.5 / 5

EDIT: I'm bumping up Empty Threat and Keep You On My Side. Empty Threat is too good and the instrumentals to Keep You On My Side sound like something that should be on a NESTS-era KOF soundtrack.

So I've listened to EOE through a few times and I've just decided to rank every track out of 5.

EOE is basically a more polished iteration of Bones' sound, which is fine, I think. It's a more cohesive and polished album than Bones, and it does feel like an album as opposed to a bunch of EP tracks and filler. But I feel the great tracks on Bones are better than the great tracks on EOE. I think they end up being the same overall though.

Never Ending Circles: 3.5 / 5
Leave A Trace: 4.5 / 5
Keep You On My Side: 4 / 5
Clearest Blue: 4 / 5
Empty Threat: 4.5 / 5
Playing Dead: 4 / 5
Bury It: 2.5 / 5
After Glow: 1.5 / 5

Deluxe edition bonus track ranking.

Get Away: 3.5 / 5

I only started listening to the band's first album recently. I dig most of the songs on it and was a bit excited for this new album. I gave it a listen (wasn't paying too much attention to it to be honest) and found it unremarkable. Your rating make it seem like an O K album. Is that how you feel?

Bury it 2.5? Pfffttt
It's trying to be a happier version of Lungs, but it's not as good. I almost think it's shit, but the chorus is catchy so that saves it.

I only started listening to the band's first album recently. I dig most of the songs on it and was a bit excited for this new album. I gave it a listen (wasn't paying too much attention to it to be honest) and found it unremarkable. Your rating make it seem like an O K album. Is that how you feel?
Pretty much. I think EOE is an above average album. There are 5, maybe 6, tracks I'd listen to over and over again in the car or whatever. But the rest I feel I'd mostly skip over. I might have to let it grow on me.

I feel about the same way with the first album too, though I might actually like that one more in hindsight. I only really skip the tracks with Martin singing. I don't think Tether and By The Throat are very good either but I tend to let them run more often that not.

I feel about the same way with the first album too, though I might actually like that one more in hindsight. I only really skip the tracks with Martin singing. I don't think Tether and By The Throat are very good either but I tend to let them run more often that not.

Yup. That track with Martin is just unnecessary. The rest though, while fluctuates in quality, still feels enjoyable. The highs are higher and the low point aren't as low as they are in EOE. I might give it one or two more listens before taking it out of my walkman.

Do you guys enjoy Purity Ring? They're both similar bands though I love PR much more.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
All of these are 5/5.

Your Martin hate is unjustified and tbqh a little childish.

sca2511

Playing Dead, Keep You on My Side, and Clearest Blue are my favorite tracks. Afterglow is a great outro song and Never Ending Circles is a great intro song. Album is such good stuff

All of these are 5/5.

Your Martin hate is unjustified and tbqh a little childish.
His voice is terrible and the tracks he sings over are so flat.

High Enough To Carry You Over has a prechorus that picks up a little and gives me hope that the chorus will save the song, but the chorus is flat Diet Coke as well.

I feel like a good remix could bump the song up though.

Martin's songs are....weird. I don't like them very much, but they freaking KILL live. Though a good part of that might be the fact that he dances like a complete goddamn loon when he's singing, in stark contrast to Lauren

Martin's songs are....weird. I don't like them very much, but they freaking KILL live. Though a good part of that might be the fact that he dances like a complete goddamn loon when he's singing, in stark contrast to Lauren

Oh man that was hilarious to see live. He literally danced like no one was watching.

Is he still the best part of the show? I saw them last year and it was a really boring show. Wondering how much better they have gotten with their live performances.

Is he still the best part of the show? I saw them last year and it was a really boring show. Wondering how much better they have gotten with their live performances.

Their stage got BIG. It went from the cool light rig they had with their logo to a full LED wall, everything's still sync'd to their songs. Lauren's gotten better live, but the songs and the cool lights are the draw for me.

He's freaking crazy still.

Not

Banned
Glad I finally got a chance to buy this. It's rad

Just curious. Does Chvrches have a religious affiliation?

I'm hoping people thought this and then bought their first album and there's a "fuck" each in the first two songs right off the bat

idlewild_

I'm hoping people thought this and then bought their first album and there's a "fuck" each in the first two songs right off the bat

is cursing taboo in christian music? i have a couple fairly religious friends and they use profanity just as much as anyone else so i assumed it wasn't a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom