• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHS - The Bones Of What You Believe (September 23rd/24th) |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about seeing them live in Houston. Want to listen to the full album first as I really only heard a handful of songs. Do they put on great show?

I think I've listened through this five times now, lol. At the moment, it's going to be between this and the new Vampire Weekend for my album of the year. It's perfect pop music.

overcast

They have a good reason to have the V I guess. Easier to search, and the shit is in anyway.

Definitely getting this on my phone for the long day at school tomorrow.

Enron

Banned
Minnesota Public Radio has been playing the shit out of these guys for months, but "Gun" is the only song I didn't dislike. The rest seemed sorta clumsy.

big ander

First listen: solid electropop record. The Mother We Share, Lies, and Recover are still great. They're also probably the best 3 songs on the album, which isn't encouraging. But Night Sky and Science/Vision are fun, especially the latter. Really straightforward synthpop vibe with not as much vocal chopping as usual, driving beat.

Why end with You Caught The Light? Kinda a nothing of a song. Thought they'd have learned from Zvvl that people don't really like it when Mayberry's not singing. Which is already a problem on other tracks on the record, but ending with a song where Mayberry takes a backseat is so odd. Plus, it's a slow, long song with not much reason for staying around so long. Hm.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, I have never listened to this band, but I gave one of the songs in the op a listen, and holy fuck it's awesome. I love this band, I need to listen to their discography.

big ander

Wow, I have never listened to this band, but I gave one of the songs in the op a listen, and holy fuck it's awesome. I love this band, I need to listen to their discography.

that discography is basically one LP that isn't even technically out yet, you don't have much to catch up on. in full, it's two singles (both on the LP) and a 3-track EP (with one of those songs being on the LP).

overcast

Very, very fun record. I love Lauren's vocals, production is what you would expect but it stays catchy and booming. All the tracks that have been out are great (Gun is better than I remember). I enjoyed every new track except for Under the Tide and You Caught the Light honestly.

Biggest negative is that Lauren isn't singing every track. Not much "substance" here, but it's pop. I'll be listening to it for the next few months, makes me feel good. I'm impressed.

I can't stop listening to it. It feels so rare nowadays to have an album hit me like this but this really did. My favorite tracks are We Sink, By The Throat, Lungs, and Night Sky. So excited to see them live now.

Mairu

I really like this. Thanks for the post, wouldn't have heard of them otherwise. Now to decide whether I want to go see them in Oakland or not...

big ander

Yes Yes, Nice OP, it's time!

Remember when their tracks came out the first time, and look how they've evolved!

not to nitpick where it's unnecessary but: what do you mean look how they've evolved? nothing on the album is very different from Lies or The Mother We Share.

Fuck yeah, Chvrches is dope. Their EP earlier this year was cool, and this album is easily one of my most anticipated. I'm a sucker for pop bands with female singers.

Aegus

Saw them earlier this year in April. Was pretty good, but I'd pretty much had just gotten off the plane so they were probably awesome and I was just too jet lagged.

Volotaire

not to nitpick where it's unnecessary but: what do you mean look how they've evolved? nothing on the album is very different from Lies or The Mother We Share.

I mean how they've gone from a few viewers from last year to a few million on their videos. My bad for the language there

Mission

They are so great. I wish they were playing somewhere closer. I just drove to Minneapolis for Depeche Mode. I don't think I can do it again for a second time in 2 weeks.

Now to decide whether to be patient or find that faucet...

I've really gotten into this band over the past month and ended up grabbing tickets to see them in Oakland. I can't wait!!

I can't stop listening to Gun and The Mother We Share

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
didn't know them, clicked the youtube link, was a fan after 20 seconds. Not even kidding.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
"The Mother We Share" has received one hell of a re-mastering and production boost on the album version as compared to the demo. Sounds so much better. As for the album I've only had one brief listen so far and there are a few gems on here like "Night Sky" and the previous singles which are still just as good as ever. I was left a little underwhelmed at the album as a complete record TBH but I think that comes from expecting too much because the band held so much brilliant promise from those first few tracks they released.

"Now Is Not The Time" (from the Recover EP) is still one of the best things they've ever done. Such an emotive and powerful chorus. I even added it to the album as a "bonus track" because I loved it so much. Still I'm glad the band is receiving all of this attention and praise. They were nothing just a few short months ago (the vague and unknown band that released "The Mother We Share") and now they're in the spotlight which is heart warming to see. So what are everyone's favourite tracks from the album?

overcast

So what are everyone's favourite tracks from the album?
I love the hell out of Night Sky. Probably my favorite. I expected to not like this album as much as I did honestly.

The closing track is thoroughly disappointing though. So weak, boring, doesn't have Lauren. Meh on that one.

Sexy thread. I'm stoked for the album. Gonna try to see them live soon.

Wait what there is a We Were Promised Jetpacks remix of the mother we share? Fuck I need to hear this.

Since when do they remix songs? I mean, I love that band, but thats sort of strange to me. I gotta listen though.

Just got back from the Portland show. It was pretty fantastic. I believe they just played their entire album (havent heard it all yet, but just assume that).

boVk4pG.jpg

I am not sure if Lauren is just shy/doesnt have much stage presence yet, or her not really dancing around is just her thing. When the other dude sung his song, he was feeling it and dancing and the crowd seemed to feed off of that and really get into it.

The light arrows they had were pretty cool!

The xxyyxx guy who opened was also pretty good. Iunno if the crowd was feeling him though as they werent really dancing around or anything, but it was still cool.

Just saw them live in Portland. They're tight live - almost too tight. The show felt a bit rigid and too close to the studio versions (a risk, I guess, with bands that are at least 50% drum machine/keyboard). Lauren has a fucking incredible live voice but she didn't have much stage presence. It probably doesn't help that the Roseland's sound system is hot garbage.

Anyway yeah, fun show. Can't wait to pick up the album.

Very, very fun record. I love Lauren's vocals, production is what you would expect but it stays catchy and booming. All the tracks that have been out are great (Gun is better than I remember). I enjoyed every new track except for Under the Tide and You Caught the Light honestly.

Biggest negative is that Lauren isn't singing every track. Not much "substance" here, but it's pop. I'll be listening to it for the next few months, makes me feel good. I'm impressed.

I don't see this as a negative. I prefer varied vocals in an album so that the lead singer's voice doesn't feel like it's growing stale.
I haven't heard the album yet, but I liked the guy's singing in "Zvvl".

Meier

Looking forward to this. I don't really ever download leaks these days since I just stream via rdio once stuff is released, so I've got a few more weeks to go, but I first heard them last year and was impressed and what they've released subsequently has been very good.

I'm shocked/amazed they're playing Stubb's already though. That's a major venue.

Edit: Cool, I was able to buy 2 tickets to the show at Stubb's via the link in the OP. Thanks Alex!

Askani

"The Mother We Share" has been getting alot of milage on the local alternative station here. I'm definitely going to check out the full album when it drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom