• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CING files for bankruptcy

ICallItFutile said:
I'm really just using Nintendo as an example. Capcom, Sega Sammy, Namco-Bandai, etc. could all fill the role.
I think Capcom would be a great partner. They've worked with CING before and actually market their adventure games.

loosus

Banned
Gunloc said:
What "positions" are you talking about? I think most people are hoping that CING will be left intact and just be owned by Nintendo or another parent company.
Companies have "positions," believe it or not. You don't just show up and you get a job.

And if Nintendo buys CING outright, it's because Nintendo was looking to expand. If Nintendo is content with its size right now, nothing else matters.

trinest

ICallItFutile said:
I'm really just using Nintendo as an example. Capcom, Sega Sammy, Namco-Bandai, etc. could all fill the role.
No I don't want them with Sega or Namco. Capcom kind of makes sense- expecialy with them having simular games. Though I would love Nintendo to pick them up just so they have a longer life span.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
loosus said:
Companies have "positions," believe it or not. You don't just show up and you get a job.

And if Nintendo buys CING outright, it's because Nintendo was looking to expand. If Nintendo is content with its size right now, nothing else matters.
Still not sure how that relates to the fans here hoping Nintendo could buy CING. Not like any of us here know their business plan and can outright say they're looking to expand or not. I see nothing wrong with fans hoping somebody steps in and help this small group of talented developers so we can continue to enjoy their IPs.

loosus

Banned
NetMapel said:
Still not sure how that relates to the fans here hoping Nintendo could buy CING. Not like any of us here know their business plan and can outright say they're looking to expand or not. I see nothing wrong with fans hoping somebody steps in and help this small group of talented developers so we can continue to enjoy their IPs.
Sure. Keep hoping. :)

loosus said:

I'm aware of that, but usually you don't refer to a company as a whole as "filling a position". You made it sound like you thought people were suggesting Nintendo would dissolve CING and plug in the talent worth keeping in other areas.

The best case scenario would be that CING continues operations like before, just as a subsidiary of Nintendo or another company. And whether or not Nintendo want to expand is obviously up to them, but considering how large they are and how they are trying to branch out into other markets I don't see how it would be a stretch to assume Nintendo would want to expand their portfolio, especially with a company they have worked with in the past multiple times.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
that's about as long as small, independent, talented devs last in this industy.

jj984jj said:
Do we even know how Nintendo ended up with MonolithSoft? Was it really a shares trade? We know Nintendo doesn't like to acquire companies, but maybe the trade for MonolithSoft was a business decision worth taking? I doubt CiNG is in the same position here.

My guess it started happening when Namco Bandai handed the publishing rights to Baten Kaitos 2 to Nintendo. Since Nintendo and Namco Bandai have stakes in Monolith, you either see Monolith make games with either original properties or properties owned by Namco Bandai (such as the DBZ RPGs, and SRTOGS:EF). I wonder if we will see more Baten Kaitos games.

Minamu

Let me get this straight, Last Window IS Hotel Dusk 2 right? Just the Japanese version? duckroll said something about fakes? :S

jay

duckroll said:
Since Nintendo bought a majority stake in Monolithsoft, they have generated over 500k in unit sales. That's more than Cing has generated in their entire lifetime. I would say that's a good indication of how much more successful Monolithsoft is. :p

You're not wrong about Monolith being a better buy than Cing, but simply comparing sales numbers is kind of stupid. Shenmue sold over a million copies, Nintendo should buy that series.

trinest

Minamu said:
Let me get this straight, Last Window IS Hotel Dusk 2 right? Just the Japanese version? duckroll said something about fakes? :S
Last Window is the name of the game and what was trademarked in Europe. A GameSpot user took this name and then made a trailer for it using Japanese media just with his own translations in place.

And yes it is "Hotel Dusk 2"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
flamesofchaos said:
My guess it started happening when Namco Bandai handed the publishing rights to Baten Kaitos 2 to Nintendo. Since Nintendo and Namco Bandai have stakes in Monolith, you either see Monolith make games with either original properties or properties owned by Namco Bandai (such as the DBZ RPGs, and SRTOGS:EF). I wonder if we will see more Baten Kaitos games.
Well speculation leads me to believe that since Nintendo had shares in Bandai when they wanted to do a non-hostile takeover of the company but wasn't successful. After Bandai merged with Namco they were buying back their shares so they traded the shares for 80% of MonolithSoft's shares.

It made sense for Nintendo to do so since, as you said, they started a direct relationship with Baten Kaitos Origins which continued with Disaster that MonolithSoft was working on at the time this happened, plus it coincidentally came about around the time they needed more help with Brawl. It's all speculation that I think fits really well together, but I don't think it was ever confirmed that Nintendo gave up any shares for MonolithSoft so it'll always remain speculation.

TunaLover

Wasn't LKS2 in development as we speak? Or it was just the director wishes? I really hope the project manage to survive somehow =(

It sucks for CING though.

trinest

TunaLover said:
Wasn't LKS2 in development as we speak? Or it was just the director wishes? I really hope the project manage to survive somehow =(

It sucks for CING though.
More of the director wishes- but at the time time you wouldn't know.

It is possible though that because it was a calabortive effort accross various developers and the main team is in the other developers that they where working on it and Cing wasn't as much involved.

trinest

vodka-bull said:
Damn, I hope that doesn't effect a western release of the last window oO
Well it might make NOA more likely to skip over it- expecially with their track record of Cing games.

But on the same token NOE has already trademarked the name- so we might see something still from NOE at least. Which is better then nothing.

nyong

Banned
Nintendo really should buy them. I imagine it could happen on the cheap. Obviously they have talent and Nintendo has funding...it's not like there is no market for adventure games on the DS.

jrricky

Banned
nyong said:
Nintendo really should buy them. I imagine it could happen on the cheap. Obviously they have talent and Nintendo has funding...it's not like there is no market for adventure games on the DS.
What does it matter? Who knows if Nintendo isnt hiring the current staff to join their Eastern teams?

trinest

nyong said:
Everyone says they should- even I say they should, but that dosn't mean its going to happen. But as fans our job is to make it happen.

C-Jo

This is really fucking shitty news. I loved Hotel Dusk and was/am really looking forward to Last Window. Though if it's any indication, I'm a huge Cing fan and I had absolutely no idea that Again was coming out this month. I just preordered it because of this thread, but that can't bode well.

Kozak

Banned
Nintendo shouldn't buy CING. CING is a shit company and there is no way Nintendo is buying them. They may hire their talent that made good games for CING but buy CING? You got to be out of your mind if you think that makes proper sense.

Kozak said:
Nintendo shouldn't buy CING. CING is a shit company and there is no way Nintendo is buying them. They may hire their talent that made good games for CING but buy CING? You got to be out of your mind if you think that makes proper sense.

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Kyle Hyde is taking a big, steamy shit into your god damned mouth.

trinest

C-Jo said:
This is really fucking shitty news. I loved Hotel Dusk and was/am really looking forward to Last Window. Though if it's any indication, I'm a huge Cing fan and I had absolutely no idea that Again was coming out this month. I just preordered it because of this thread, but that can't bode well.
Yeah Again has always been rumored for a release on the date which became its release date, but it was only announced that it was official at the start of this month- and not really anything shocking- just a video and the website was put up.

If NOE localises Last Window I'm guessing a simular announcement/obsurity to the release.

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Kyle Hyde is taking a big, steamy shit into your god damned mouth.
:lol I would do it personally if I didn't find the though discusting.

trinest

Segata Sanshiro said:
dang, cing closed? Now what will I do when I can't fall asleep?
Wank.

But on a more serious note you can buy the last few games which will trickle out from them Again and Last Window.

mooooose

C-Jo said:
Same. I had no clue it was coming out so soon.

Celine

Segata Sanshiro said:
dang, cing closed? Now what will I do when I can't fall asleep?
8f7ea73960330cc4b0b9748936d4fda2.gif

zigg

What did they do in LKS? Anyone know, exactly?

I suppose I could try to break down the credits, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Mael

faridmon said:
what? first Team Boom Blox dessolve now this. damn i am depressed.

this is not good month so far. Theatre of Targedy Disband, Acid Flavour Disband, Closure of Team Boomblox at EA and now this.

WAIT WAH?
Man 2 bad news in a day? shit

faridmon

You know, thinking about it now, Cing never have been efficient in producing their games. I mean taking 2 years to make an adventure games on the DS that require minimum art assets is just not good enough.

Nintendo would buy them ages ago if they would have been efficient, and fast producing developer.

I have critisized Free Radical for this very reason, and even though i am a Nintendo fan, i have to point out Cings faults as well as other devs.

Shiggy

faridmon said:
You know, thinking about it now, Cing never have been efficient in producing their games. I mean taking 2 years to make an adventure games on the DS that require minimum art assets is just not good enough.

Why do you think that they needed 2 years?

thefil

While I am not particularly a fan of Hotel Dusk, Another Code or LKS, this is sad news :(. Hope those people come out okay. It's sad that they are having troubles just for trying to expand the industry a bit.

thefro

zigg said:
What did they do in LKS? Anyone know, exactly?

I suppose I could try to break down the credits, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Probably most of the art design stuff. I think they animated the cut-scenes as well.

GCX

faridmon said:

Nintendo would buy them ages ago if they would have been efficient, and fast producing developer.

I have critisized Free Radical for this very reason, and even though i am a Nintendo fan, i have to point out Cings faults as well as other devs.
CING was a very small studio yet they finished Another Code: R, Little King's Story, AGAIN and The Last Window in a very short span of time. I'd say that's pretty efficient.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, this is pretty disappointing.
I had figured that they were finding a measure of success in recent years, compared to last gen.

Guess not. :/

Edit - Do bankruptcies in Japan work like they do in the U.S.; where they can provide a company an opportunity to restructure themselves and return to business after the bankruptcy? Or is this basically the end of CING as we know them?

Not my fault, I bought Little King's Story and Hotel Dusk, and would blindly buy Hotel Dusk 2 and Trace Memory Wii (and likely the DS version in some vault bin, lol).

pakkit

Banned
This is all my fault...

Little King's Story has been on my to-buy list for a long time, but the constant threat of Pikmin 3 (wait for E3!) kept me at bay.

I'll buy it now and pour some cognac for my fallen brothers.

Top Bottom