• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cisco hoping to acquire Nintendo

koam

I posted this over in the OT but figured you guys might want to have fun with it too:

Cisco Considering Nintendo Acquisition?

Or rather, an attempt at acquiring Nintendo? In a CNet article, both TiVo and Nintendo are mentioned as possible targets for a Cisco acquisition. From the article’s speculation: “Another possible acquisition candidate for Cisco is Nintendo, the No. 3 game console maker in the U.S. A stretch? Not really. Microsoft, which is emerging as a key competitor to Cisco in the home entertainment market, is already in this market with the Xbox 360. Gaming has already proved to be a strong application for broadband, so it makes sense that Cisco would want to own a game device to help drive more traffic on its network. With its popular GameBoy product, Nintendo would also provide Cisco an entree into the mobile-handheld market.”

So they speculate that Cisco is interested in buying, but is Nintendo interested in selling? I’d guess “No.”

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/business/cisco-considering-nintendo-acquisition-151592.php

DCharlie

Banned
So they speculate that Cisco is interested in buying, but is Nintendo interested in selling? I’d guess “No.”

.... err... what?!

i think this is twice that i've said this about a kotaku article in the last two days. What is the credentials of this site?

xsarien

daedsiluap
DCharlie said:
.... err... what?!

i think this is twice that i've said this about a kotaku article in the last two days. What is the credentials of this site?

Kotaku, for better or for worse, is part of the greater Gawker network of sites. Unfortunately, they've got pretty loose editorial standards given their gossip roots. Kotaku in particular is pretty bad, apparently they completely missed the fact that the C|Net article in question was entirely speculation and not hard news in the slightest.

kenta

Has no PEINS
It takes quite an imagination to think of a reason why Cisco would EVER want to buy Nintendo. Justifying it by naming Microsoft is about the dumbest thing they could have done, Microsoft doesn't compete with Cisco so wtf

GDGF

Soothsayer
I heard a rumor that every Nintendo fan in the world is going to donate one dollar to a secret fund whose secret intention is to buy Nintendo. Secretly.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
xsarien said:
Kotaku in particular is pretty bad, apparently they completely missed the fact that the C|Net article in question was entirely speculation and not hard news in the slightest.

...or you completely missed their two explicit references to the speculative nature of the c-net article. :/

No.1

With the amount of profit Nintendo make off their products it would be a much smarter move for them to enter the entertainment market on their own. They've already started with movie production, what's next home entertainment systems perhaps?

Nintendo are a company that would never sink so low to be bought out. From their previous business actions, I suspect they would rather fight until the end instead of folding and jump onto someone else's bandwagon.

GDGF said:
I heard a rumor that every Nintendo fan in the world is going to donate one dollar to a secret fund whose secret intention is to buy Nintendo. Secretly.
lenny&carl.gif

"Sssshhhhhhhutup..."

Between this and those "PSP will badly overtake the DS" projections (despite using faulty numbers to draw those conclusions), I have to wonder who you have to have compromising pictures of to become a "gaming business analyst" in this country because it's obviously not based on what you know.

SI

DCharlie

Banned
I hate these threads, but go on, i'll play :

what if someone decides to buy the shares that Nintendo don't control?

"Nintendo will never sell.
Yamauchi would never allow it."

great, and what about the shares they don't control?
Is it enough to stave off someone taking a controlling stake in the firm?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DCharlie said:
I hate these threads, but go on, i'll play :

what if someone decides to buy the shares that Nintendo don't control?
Nintendo already aquired a lot of it's shares back and Yamauchi has the most shares of the company so it's ultimately him to vote whether or not the company can be sold.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Do it, Cisco, I dare you. Do it.
sterlingice said:
Greetings, Junior Member.

We're aware of what your name is, since it's on the side of every post you make.

Therefore, please do not put faux signatures on all of your posts.

That is, unless, you assume the rest of us are so chronically retarded that we forget who wrote what by the end of every post.

Ristamar

dog$ said:
We're aware of what your name is, since it's on the side of every post you make.

Therefore, please do not put faux signatures on all of your posts.

That is, unless, you assume the rest of us are so chronically retarded that we forget who wrote what by the end of every post.

Like that has ever stopped DCX or Pimpwerx.

M3wThr33

Banned
Dude, Yamauchi is so hard core, he'd control them beyond the grave. Burying the shares with him.
One of the physics teachers at my school is dating his granddaughter.

Speculation: Cisco Targeting Nintendo?

After completing its deal for Scientific-Atlanta, Cisco Systems could go on the acquisition hunt again, and it's possible that video game maker Nintendo (among others) could be in the crosshairs, argues CNET News.com.

Computer networking firm Cisco Systems, which recently announced plans to spend $6.9 billion on cable set-top maker Scientific-Atlanta, could be looking to acquire still more companies as it seeks to further expand into the consumer electronics market.

A speculative piece on CNET suggests that Cisco, because of its history of acquisitiveness, could look to purchase companies like TiVo, Sling Media, or yes, Nintendo sometime in the near future. While an acquisition of Nintendo might seem completely ridiculous, CNET argues that it's not as far-fetched as it sounds.

"A stretch? Not really. Microsoft, which is emerging as a key competitor to Cisco in the home entertainment market, is already in this market with the Xbox 360. Gaming has already proved to be a strong application for broadband, so it makes sense that Cisco would want to own a game device to help drive more traffic on its network. With its popular GameBoy product, Nintendo would also provide Cisco an entree into the mobile-handheld market."

While CNET may be of the opinion that it's not really a stretch, we find it highly unlikely that a Japanese corporate mainstay like Nintendo would sell out to an American company. Nintendo would be much more likely to align itself with another Japanese company... if it ever felt financially pressured to put itself up for sale.

But that's exactly where this rumor falls apart, in our opinion. Last time we checked, Nintendo had over $5 billion in cash reserves. Mario and co. may be in third place in the U.S. when it comes to selling consoles, but financially the company is quite healthy. There simply is no need for them to hand over the reigns to a giant from the West like Cisco.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11723

xsarien

daedsiluap
drohne said:
...or you completely missed their two explicit references to the speculative nature of the c-net article. :/

I didn't miss it. Kotaku's tone leans towards "C|Net's speculation is based on facts," when the actual article is really just a lot of pie-in-the-sky meanderings.

Polari

Kotaku is so dumb. They're probably pretty thankful they have the Gawker association to lean on, because if they didn't, there's no way they'd get away with this junk and would have to find a real job.

We should ban them like that other site (the one by a certain minger pom).

trmas

Banned
Cisco isn't even in competition with Microsoft. Two different markets - believe it or not networking is not just PC administration.

HokieJoe

Doesn't make much sense to me either. Architecturally, MS is a front-end company while Cisco is a decidedly back-end company. Even considering their purchase of Linksys and Scientific Atlantic, I don't see them competing against each other much. If anything, I'd see the relationship as more collaborative.

Onix said:
prior to the xbox, microsoft originally just wanted to buy nintendo.

So just to recap the industry over the past 10 years, Nintendo fucked over sony thus leading to the birth of the Playstation and Nintendo refused Microsofts offer for a buy out, giving rise to the Xbox.

Interesting, no?

Top Bottom