• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cisco hoping to acquire Nintendo

gopher

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I remember that Iwata or Yamauchi said that they were not for sale.
"The day we wont bring out a new home console is the day we quit."

If Nintendo ever goes bankrupt they take Zelda/Mario/Pokemon etc. with them.
And im sure they do the same to any company thats related to them. HAL/Skip/Camelot/Retro/NST/etc.

Bandai/Namco/Capcom will most likely take a big hit as well.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but IF Nintendo goes broke, they'll have to liquidate their assets, and that includes any IPs they own.

Cheebs

Couldn't they like sell Mario/Zelda etc... to the Miyamoto family(whoever is alive at this time) and Metroid/Kid Icarus/etc... to the Yokoi family and so on? So they will remain untouched.

The thing is, Nintendo has been around over 100 years and they will probably be around and another 100. They will outlive us.

Cheebs

Kroole said:
I doubt that. Atleast in the current form.
As long as they continue to turn in big profits and continue to grow their huge assets of money(near 10 billion now no?) I don't see why not. If they start falling and losing money then yeah. But that has yet to even come close to happening.

SantaC

Cheebs said:
Couldn't they like sell Mario/Zelda etc... to the Miyamoto family(whoever is alive at this time) and Metroid/Kid Icarus/etc... to the Yokoi family and so on? So they will remain untouched.

well I couldn't even think of the possibilty that cisco would make a mario and zelda game.

Kroole said:
I doubt that. Atleast in the current form.
Why do you doubt that? They've yet to not make any type of profit off their hardware, and they're one of the top three publishers in the world.

Nintendo doesn't die.

Kroole

Cheebs said:
As long as they continue to turn in big profits and continue to grow their huge assets of money(near 10 billion now no?) I don't see why not. If they start falling and losing money then yeah. But that has yet to even come close to happening.

When more and more companies look to expand into home entertainment and Nintendo is raking in profit while they still only concentrate on making hw and the sw for it you'll bet that the companies see Nintendo as a good investment.

Nintendo makes good profit but many companies makes more so...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kroole said:
And if Cisco really really wants to there is nothing the higher-ups of Nintendo can do.
Where did you get that from? You can't buy something that it's owners won't sell. In case of Nintendo, I'm pretty sure the company itself has a pretty sizeable share majority.

Kroole

Tim the Wiz said:
You know what? You'd make a great videogame analyst.

:lol

I will? Geeee thanks

I'm just not naive to think that if a company really want to gobble up Nintendo they can't do it because Yamauchi doesn't want to. Many companies are bigger than Nintendo and if a few of them wants to go into home entertainment Nintendo could be a valid investment. That's all.

Kroole

Marconelly said:
Where did you get that from? You can't buy something that it's owners won't sell. In case of Nintendo, I'm pretty sure the company itself has a pretty sizeable share majority.

I'd doubt they have 50%+ of the company.

Kroole said:
You're doubting that many electronics/software companies make more money than Nintendo?
Friend.. would you be so kind as to name these companies you obliviously think generate more profit than Nintendo? I'm not ignorant enough to think that there aren't a couple, but you underestimate them.

Kroole

DeadlyMelody said:
Friend.. would you be so kind as to name these companies you obliviously think generate more profit than Nintendo? I'm not ignorant enough to think that there aren't a couple, but you underestimate them.

I can take Ericsson as an example. The latest report said that they made a profit (after tax) of over $3 billion just in 2005. Compare Nintendo's with that.

Kroole

gopher said:
Wow, that's like the dumbest/most obvious statement I've read in a long time.

Well I was reffering to companies in the electronic sector which could see Nintendo as a good investment. Just because Nintendo makes good profit doesn't make them any less eligible.

Kroole

Tim the Wiz said:
You're right on that front: Nintendo own ~11% of its own shares. However, Yamauchi is the majority stock holder.

From Planet gamecube:
"Yamauchi, whose 10 percent stake makes him the company's single biggest shareholder, concedes that the new consoles are a hit with game players and have helped the industry. Yet he insists that the challenge is for Nintendo to stay focused on developing games."

Strange, because Nintendo bought 2.2% of their stock last year, rising their total of 8.8% to ~11%. And now you're saying Yamauchi has 10%? To be frank, I'm a tad clueless on these sorts of financial issues -- so, I'll leave it there.

Edit: For argument's sake, here's the profit listing for MS, Sony and Nintendo for the past several years...

Year............Sony..................Nintendo...........Microsoft
2001.......-409,000,000........726,000,000
2002........623,000,000........800,000,000........-750,000,000
2003........939,000,000........560,000,000......-1,191,000,000
2004........650,000,000........316,000,000......-1,215,000,000
2005........406,000,000........672,000,000..........-58,000,000
Totals.....5,043,000,000.....4,769,000,000.....-3,214,000,000

Note: The 2005 totals for Microsoft and Sony are as of Dec 31st, 2004, but the Nintendo is their forecast through March 31st, 2005. Also, the totals are from the companies respective financial reports.

DCharlie

Banned
You're right on that front: Nintendo own ~11% of its own shares. However, Yamauchi is the majority stock holder.

the only thing Yamauchi being the majority share holder means is that they can possibly rely on his support.
Although his constant supply of nubbile girls , caviar ice cream, and platinum back scrubbers surely racks up an insane bill - he might like the idea of a lum sum from a shares sale.

Looking at the figures yesterday whilst enjoying some bizarro comments in this thread,i think the combined treasury stock + Yamauchi comes to around 21%.

So christ knows where this 50% figure comes from.

The notion that companies have to ask the major shareholder or nintendo for permission to sell is way off.

It's like this- if MS (or whoever) want the other shares , they make a buy offer to the shareholders at a price that is above the value of the shares.

Now , given that most of the top 10 owners are investment banks, and that the shares are 49% or so in foreign hands, do you think any of them would be thinking about how great the DS is, or how cool the Rev might be? Or , do you think they'll go "Hmm... this represents an instant $??? dollar per share profit, i think i'll take it"

or course , they may choose not to sell - but seems that in most cases, if the price is right, then people will cash in because people buy shares to make cash. A guaranteed win on a set of stocks and of course the big players are going to cash in.

(see: Man Utd - "oh the fans would never sell their shares to an American"... "The management would never allow it" etc etc )

Now, the big problem with a hostile approach is that a lot of your staff might just up and walk. For MS, that would probably have been a big issue, so walking in and taking Nintendo by force (especially as a big Western company absorbing a Japanese one) might have been disasterous. However, if they go to Nintendo, make assurances about what would happen, and try and get the management on board with the idea of what would happen, then there is more chance of the talent staying.

The only thing we are missing from the thread is comments about the "7 billion war chest"
:/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm confused. If Nintendo doesn't own a majority, then why didn't MS simply do a hostile takeover?

edit: Ah, DCcharlie explained it. NM.

Cheebs

yeah. Hostile = Byebye staff. You could expect some sort of Miyamoto smaller 3rd party dev studio filled with "former" EAD staff.

Yamauchi

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Strange, because Nintendo bought 2.2% of their stock last year, rising their total of 8.8% to ~11%. And now you're saying Yamauchi has 10%? To be frank, I'm a tad clueless on these sorts of financial issues -- so, I'll leave it there.

Edit: For argument's sake, here's the profit listing for MS, Sony and Nintendo for the past several years...

Year............Sony..................Nintendo...........Microsoft
2001.......-409,000,000........726,000,000
2002........623,000,000........800,000,000........-750,000,000
2003........939,000,000........560,000,000......-1,191,000,000
2004........650,000,000........316,000,000......-1,215,000,000
2005........406,000,000........672,000,000..........-58,000,000
Totals.....5,043,000,000.....4,769,000,000.....-3,214,000,000

Note: The 2005 totals for Microsoft and Sony are as of Dec 31st, 2004, but the Nintendo is their forecast through March 31st, 2005. Also, the totals are from the companies respective financial reports.
I think you are mixing up Nintendo's employee stock buy-back plan with private holdings by individuals such as Yamauchi. Yamauchi does alone own 10% of Nintendo's stock (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/05/24/nintendo-president.htm). The last figure I saw showed that Nintendo insiders owned about 30% of its public stock, while about 60% of the company is privately held. That means 80% of the company is in private hands.

Just because a few random electronics companies make more money than Nintendo doesn't mean that Nintendo can't continue to exist in its current form. Especially since they're branching out into movies and shit. They aren't going anywhere.

gopher said:
Wow, that's like the dumbest/most obvious statement I've read in a long time.

Even dumber was the junior member challenging it, which actually justified such a blunt statement.

What backwards forum are all these idiots migrating from?

Vince

Banned
DCharlie said:
The notion that companies have to ask the major shareholder or nintendo for permission to sell is way off....

or course , they may choose not to sell - but seems that in most cases, if the price is right, then people will cash in because people buy shares to make cash. A guaranteed win on a set of stocks and of course the big players are going to cash in....

Now, the big problem with a hostile approach is that a lot of your staff might just up and walk. For MS, that would probably have been a big issue, so walking in and taking Nintendo by force (especially as a big Western company absorbing a Japanese one) might have been disasterous. However, if they go to Nintendo, make assurances about what would happen, and try and get the management on board with the idea of what would happen, then there is more chance of the talent staying.

It's not quite that simple and you far overexaggerate how easy it is to suceed in what would certainly be a hostile take-over. And while most public mid-to-large sized companies shareholder's go along with the take-over, for as you said they're in it for money, rarely does the company itself (and by proxie) own 25% of the company; making it likely that the company will invoke a poison-pill option before outright take-over. Not only would such a maneuver require extremely high-liquidity, which I don't believe is there; but it's not something that's done without recource by the Nintendo BoD. I'm sure having been around in the '80s when such thngs were all the rage, there is some form of poison pill in place which would raise the current market valuation of Nintendo (20B USD) to a high multiple, perhaps 2 to 6 times this; making the cost of aquiring 51% just not worth it. Not many companies can realistically take over such a company.

IMHO, an anthropic-like proof exists in that Microsoft, perhaps the preeminent company which has the means, motive and desire to take Nintendo didn't.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Vince said:
It's not quite that simple and you far overexaggerate how easy it is to suceed in what would certainly be a hostile take-over. And while most public mid-to-large sized companies shareholder's go along with the take-over, for as you said they're in it for money, rarely does the company itself (and by proxie) own 25% of the company; making it likely that the company will invoke a poison-pill option before outright take-over. Not only would such a maneuver require extremely high-liquidity, which I don't believe is there; but it's not something that's done without recource by the Nintendo BoD. I'm sure having been around in the '80s when such thngs were all the rage, there is some form of poison pill in place which would raise the current market valuation of Nintendo (20B USD) to a high multiple, perhaps 2 to 6 times this; making the cost of aquiring 51% just not worth it. Not many companies can realistically take over such a company.

IMHO, an anthropic-like proof exists in that Microsoft, perhaps the preeminent company which has the means, motive and desire to take Nintendo didn't.
Didn't MS place an offer of $20 billion for Nintendo?

DCharlie

Banned
It's not quite that simple and you far overexaggerate how easy it is to suceed in what would certainly be a hostile take-over.

not really, i'm just keeping it at a level people will understand. Of course, as you then say , there are defenses to make the price of the company (prefered stock, discounted shares (reduce the effect of the purchased shares), obscene golden parachute deals, merger with other company, supermajority tweaking etc).

However, what i was addressing here is the notion that Nintendo can refuse to let people sell the stock - that's just wrong. As you say, they have to employ tactics to make things attractive for the investor (discounted shares for instance) and to ward off the suitor, but if someone DID try a hostile takeover and the did have the cash (and the liquidity) then you run the risk of the company "suiciding"

Top Bottom