• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cisco hoping to acquire Nintendo

Yamauchi

Banned
A_Lee_N said:
Only Cisco has nothing to do with this, it's pure speculation on c|net's behalf. Ridiculous speculuation on top of that..
That's good, because I found it very hard to believe. I'm too lazy to read the thread.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How much is Cisco worth? I know they're behind MS and AOL Time Warner.

In any case, if MS couldn't buy Nintendo, no way in hell Cisco is gonna.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, if it was so easy to buy Nintendo, you gotta figure Microsoft would have pulled it off years ago.

DCharlie

Banned
Pop quiz : if one of the investment banks wants to sell thier holding in Nintendo, do they have to write to yama and Nintendo for permission? and can Nintendo dictate who they sell to?

gopher

Banned
DCharlie said:
Pop quiz : if one of the investment banks wants to sell thier holding in Nintendo, do they have to write to yama and Nintendo for permission? and can Nintendo dictate who they sell to?

Yamauchi (?) will round-house-kick anyone that tries to buy shares without his permission.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DCharlie said:

If I were Nintendo, I'd offer to buy the shares back with a serious premium :)

After all these years people still haven't figured Nintendo out yet?

If anything both Nintendo and the fans will rather see the company go down in flames, this is not sega we are talking about here

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
DefectiveReject said:
Haven't Nintendo just bought back a Shed Load of shares?

Yeah, I remember hearing something about that too, recently. They bought back like 2% was it?

DCharlie

Banned
Yeah, I remember hearing something about that too, recently. They bought back like 2% was it?

yes, they bought back some shares - but i need to know where this 50% figure is coming from!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Doesn't Nintendo regularly buy back it's shares, like every couple of years or something? I know I remember 2 or 3 seperate instances over the past few years where it's been reported. Maybe they do it whenever the heat is on?

GDGF said:
Doesn't Nintendo regularly buy back it's shares, like every couple of years or something? I know I remember 2 or 3 seperate instances over the past few years where it's been reported. Maybe they do it whenever the heat is on?

I think they only do it when they have big returns to increase payments to shareholders, or to ease investor worries?

GDGF

Soothsayer
True that. I figure it makes them a harder target for hostile takeover attempts, too. I would love to know if Microsoft's offer for buyout and Nintendo's first buyback happened around the same time. It'd be interesting to know if the former triggered the latter.

DCharlie

Banned
I think they only do it when they have big returns to increase payments to shareholders, or to ease investor worries?

usually it's just a company feeling that it's stock is being undervalued by the market, so it's effectively investing in itself.

Remember, these buy backs came PRIOR to the DS. So perhaps it's more likely they had confidence they were onto a good thing. Also bear in mind that their stock price sank pretty low.

Buying back stock can help stave of a buyout, but Nintendo (even with the help of top shareholder Yama) aren't in a possition to stop anyone taking a controlling share.

So - i'd assume that MS wanted to buy the whole lock/stock, or wanted to do the take over in good faith and not by force. Assumedly to try and keep hold of the assets (Miyamoto etc)

redfox455

Nintendo fanboys make me laugh, do you even know who Cisco systems are?

*For the period ended April 30, 2005, Cisco reported sales of $6.19bn*

Buying a games company just when the industry is going online is a very smart move for a computer networks company.

Nintendo are a company out to make money just like everyone else, get over it.

redfox455 said:

Buying a games company just when the industry is going online is a very smart move for a computer networks company.

No no no you get over it, Kyoto is not for sale.

Kroole

redfox455 said:

Well of course Nintendo is in the game for the money. The difference between different company strategies is how they want to earn the money. Nintendo obviously (if you go buy the proposed Microsoft buyout) seems to think that they'll earn more in the long run by going solo and expand than selling the company/stock for a short term income. But in the end nobody will refuse a buyout as long as the buyer will pay a premium price for it. Obviously Nintendo had a high premium price just like Square had when Microsoft wanted to buy (a part of) them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It might be doable. Keep in mind that Cisco announced two weeks ago in a Financial Times front page interview that they are seriously intending to become a major consumer electronics company in the not-distant future in order to leverage their networking competence.

Cisco is well known by aggressive, non-organic growth. They are an extremely wealthy company with more cash than they need and more cash coming in from the windows, from under the door and beneath the carpet. Something must be done.

The real question is how Nintendo's ownership is held, is there a few large owners or is it widely distributed. I figure it'd be hostile in any case, since the company doesn't seem keen to sell out - but with a premium big enough, investors might.

Definately not worth the nervous laughter earlier in this thread.

Xenon said:
pancho2.jpg

arriba CISCO!

Acosta

It could be possible, but it´s quite hard.

We would need the list of the main stockholders and the porcentages to know the real possibilities of this.

Every company in the world is buyable, that how this system works. Other thing is that you price yourself so expensive and put so many barriers that makes any buyer think twice before trying. For what I know, Nintendo has done various movements of buying his own stock, so if Cisco or any company wants to buy it, you can be sure it will be really expensive.

But if you want the truth, I hope it doen´t happen. Cisco is a very aggresive company and I have certain doubts they could understand a the inner mechanism of a company as Nintendo, that is very far of a typical videogame company.

Isnt it supposed to be incredibly difficult for any western company to buy a Japanese one?

It´s usually considered a high risk move. There are important differences in the management of companies. Traditionally, japanese companies seem to have more flexibility for adapting to the west market that the opposite (but right now I think this is less certain that before). At the end it all depends of the persons in charge and its intelligenca a business sense, no matter where are they from.

Koren

Teddman said:
The only way to acquire Nintendo would be via hostile takeover. They ain't selling to NOBODY.
Even with a hostile takeover, you need to convince the stake holders to sell their shares, which will not be easy. I don't know how many are really available (the 10% of Yamauchi will not be sold, for example, I think ;) ).

But that would cost them A LOT, since Nintendo has something like 8 billion of cash, which can be use to defend themselves against a takeover. That's twice the income of Cisco for last year...

I guess Cisco is crappasticaly rich. It owns the infrastructure on which the internet is built upon and they own Linksys, the supplier of the most succesfull home network hardware.

But if you want the truth, I hope it doen´t happen. Cisco is a very aggresive company and I have certain doubts they could understand a the inner mechanism of a company as Nintendo, that is very far of a typical videogame company.

Doesn't really matter. Cisco can own Nintendo without actually trying to change what Nintendo is doing. They could, however, team up in severall departments.

At least two things that link Cisco to Ninty is the home entertainment market(Cisco is expanding in this segment) and wireless networks.

Still, I doubt it will happen. Just wanted to state that Cisco is a company that is probably able to do it.

Mr. Smith

oh boy what are they thinking. even M$ tried to eat up the Big N and failed. what would they want with nintendo anyway?

Furoba

PjotrStroganov said:
I guess Cisco is crappasticaly rich. It owns the infrastructure on which the internet is built upon and they own Linksys, the supplier of the most succesfull home network hardware.

Doesn't really matter. Cisco can own Nintendo without actually trying to change what Nintendo is doing. They could, however, team up in severall departments.

At least two things that link Cisco to Ninty is the home entertainment market(Cisco is expanding in this segment) and wireless networks.

Still, I doubt it will happen. Just wanted to state that Cisco is a company that is probably able to do it.

Well, Nintendo needs to agree with a sale... If they disagree, no sale. Just the same with companies like Tecmo; they are financially healthy enough to maintain a majority stake. Much depends on the majority stake owner. ;)

Koren

Furoba said:
Well, Nintendo needs to agree with a sale... If they disagree, no sale. Just the same with companies like Tecmo; they are financially healthy enough to maintain a majority stake. Much depends on the majority stake owner. ;)
Again, it depends on who owns currently Nintendo's shares... Nintendo itself may not be able to say anything on the sale. The only thing they can do is :
- convince share holders that Nintendo shares will grow more than Cisco ones (or convince that Cisco is Teh evilzzz...) so they're not willing to accept an immediate profit and prefer a long-term profit
- try to buy, with their cash reserve, their own actions with a higher price than Cisco's... Price will go up, and the richer the winner

If this was true, I guess it would be a great time to buy Nintendo shares... :D

Acosta

They can, but it´s not usual. It´s very hard that the owner let the company taken operate the way they want forever. Maybe at beginning things run as usual, but at long term, they tend to be differences.

This is probably not happening, but it's hillarious to see everyone get so indignant at the thought of precious Nintendo being bought. People do realize Cisco has about a six time larger market cap than Nintendo, it's a much larger company (So those saying Nintendo would buy Cisco are really laughable)

So this is might be unlikely, but there are always rumors of larger companies buying smaller companies. Things change fast in business, Nintendo may not have want to have been acquired yesterday, but who knows in the future. It's almost like the laughter here is nervous laughter that this may happen someday.

Furoba said:
Much depends on the majority stake owner. ;)

o_head_shot.jpg

I stood on my chair and put my hands around my mouth to amplify my voice, see, and said, in English, slowly and forming the words very carefully -- HEY, BALLMER, WHY DON'T YOU SUCK MY TINY YELLOW BALLS?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Nintendo isn't a PLC is it, you can't just swoop in and buy all the shares up.

Don't you have to be offered shares or something like that? Like I can't go and buy a share in Nintendo right now can I?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaizoku said:
Don't you have to be offered shares or something like that? Like I can't go and buy a share in Nintendo right now can I?

They're publically quoted on the Tokyo stock exchange. There are shares floating around, different institutions probably hold them in bulk too, i guess. I don't know what proportion are "available" though.

DCharlie

Banned

no, no , no and no.

teiresias

This will probably not happen, but this thread is entertaining just to see the Nbots literally pee themselves in fear at having to think that Nintendo could even possibly be bought - after all, Nintendo invented money.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
teiresias said:
This will probably not happen, but this thread is entertaining just to see the Nbots literally pee themselves in fear at having to think that Nintendo could even possibly be bought - after all, Nintendo invented money.
Why should a Nbot worry about being bought out? If even MS couldn't obtain Nintendo when they had less money, why does Cisco think they could purchase Nintendo?

I do know that Cisco has been trying to get into the home sector for a while now (see Linksys), but acquiring Nintendo makes little sense with their plans.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Could someone come up with some sort of actual proof that MS ever really tried to buy Nintendo? People keep repeating this as a mantra, when in fact the only source for this I ever saw was that Dean Takahashi book, where the half of the things mentioned seemed to be blown out of proportion or misreported. Has that buyout attempt ever been mentioned in any financial reports paper or anything that has some resemblance of credibility?

[Nintex]

I remember that Iwata or Yamauchi said that they were not for sale.
"The day we wont bring out a new home console is the day we quit."

If Nintendo ever goes bankrupt they take Zelda/Mario/Pokemon etc. with them.
And im sure they do the same to any company thats related to them. HAL/Skip/Camelot/Retro/NST/etc.

Bandai/Namco/Capcom will most likely take a big hit as well.

Teddman said:
The only way to acquire Nintendo would be via hostile takeover. They ain't selling to NOBODY.
An attempted hostile takeover would most certainly fail, what with all their ninjas and stuff.

Suburban Cowboy said:
prior to the xbox, microsoft originally just wanted to buy nintendo.

So just to recap the industry over the past 10 years, Nintendo fucked over sony thus leading to the birth of the Playstation and Nintendo refused Microsofts offer for a buy out, giving rise to the Xbox.

Interesting, no?
Cisco Gamesphere FTW.

Kroole

[Nintex] said:
I remember that Iwata or Yamauchi said that they were not for sale.
"The day we wont bring out a new home console is the day we quit."

If Nintendo ever goes bankrupt they take Zelda/Mario/Pokemon etc. with them.
And im sure they do the same to any company thats related to them. HAL/Skip/Camelot/Retro/NST/etc.

Bandai/Namco/Capcom will most likely take a big hit as well.

If they get bought by for example Cisco which is into hardware you'll bet that they plan to make a Nintendo console while integrating some of their stuff too. And if Cisco really really wants to there is nothing the higher-ups of Nintendo can do.

Top Bottom