• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yikes lol

Hmm I haven't really thought of doing a train station. Though I guess it's better to plop it at a linking road than in the middle of the suburbs.

Copons

Yikes lol

Hmm I haven't really thought of doing a train station. Though I guess it's better to plop it at a linking road than in the middle of the suburbs.

Actually, if you have a fairly good clinics/hospitals coverage, you shouldn't really worry about "normal" noise pollution, unless you're so fussy about happiness/land value that you can't stand having a bunch of buildings with less than stellar stats.

I've noticed that stations noise isn't a big deal (and tracks are an even smaller deal, as I think they don't produce noise at all - unlike highways - and I can easily get residential areas adjacent railroads to the max level), and anyway the benefits of both actual in-game usefulness and aesthetics/realism of your city totally prevail over the issue.

Conversely, wind turbines seem to really bother people living nearby.

Boss Doggie

They should really make death random.

Actually, if you have a fairly good clinics/hospitals coverage, you shouldn't really worry about "normal" noise pollution, unless you're so fussy about happiness/land value that you can't stand having a bunch of buildings with less than stellar stats.

I've noticed that stations noise isn't a big deal (and tracks are an even smaller deal, as I think they don't produce noise at all - unlike highways - and I can easily get residential areas adjacent railroads to the max level), and anyway the benefits of both actual in-game usefulness and aesthetics/realism of your city totally prevail over the issue.

Conversely, wind turbines seem to really bother people living nearby.

Hmm all right, I'll take note of that.

Copons

How can i know the coverage area of every building?

"Every" building: open the related info panel (or its own building tool, like pick the high school to know the coverage of high schools) and you'll see covered roads turning green.

"Each" building: you basically can and can't.
You can, if you try to plop a building far from other similar buildings, so the green roads are "separated" from the already covered ones; but you can't know it precisely if you try to plop a building in an already covered area (you'd only see the "newly" covered roads, but not where it "overlaps").

Boss Doggie

Ugh, traffic in my roundabout :/

Also should I switch to 6 lanes for my industry? Traffic likes to build up there even with one ways.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate that they took out the ability (On OS X) to switch between apps while the game is running. And they touted it as a "feature". Horrible. So I switched to Windowed, but since my Dock is hidden, and you can only choose 16:10 (My display aspect) or 4:3, it doesn't let me choose a 1080p setting, which would make it the perfect size, and can only choose 1200p, which then makes the bottom of the UI (The important part) hidden off screen. And I can't set it to fullscreen because I can't switch apps when it's running. So I'm stuck running it in 1680x1050 now with empty space around the outside of the window.

Why? Why did they remove such an important feature for Mac users? And they won't reply to me on Twitter about it. Even though they reply to everyone else.

Fuck. And yes, it is that important and yes it does bug the shit out of me.

I hate that they took out the ability (On OS X) to switch between apps while the game is running. And they touted it as a "feature". Horrible. So I switched to Windowed, but since my Dock is hidden, and you can only choose 16:10 (My display aspect) or 4:3, it doesn't let me choose a 1080p setting, which would make it the perfect size, and can only choose 1200p, which then makes the bottom of the UI (The important part) hidden off screen. And I can't set it to fullscreen because I can't switch apps when it's running. So I'm stuck running it in 1680x1050 now with empty space around the outside of the window.

Why? Why did they remove such an important feature for Mac users? And they won't reply to me on Twitter about it. Even though they reply to everyone else.

Fuck. And yes, it is that important and yes it does bug the shit out of me.

I agree, swiping out was awesome!

Why? Why did they remove such an important feature for Mac users?

I think this was an unintended result of them fixing the issue where the top menu bar would appear when you dragged your mouse to the top of the screen. Which was a necessary fix, yeah. But unfortunately the lack of screen swiping now sucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think this was an unintended result of them fixing the issue where the top menu bar would appear when you dragged your mouse to the top of the screen. Which was a necessary fix, yeah. But unfortunately the lack of screen swiping now sucks.
I agree the menu appearing was annoying, but damn I need my swiping. It should be optional. Plus, isn't there a way to delay the menu appearance? If not, Apple needs to put it in. Make it so it only appears optionally when double tapping the top of the screen like how it does the Dock. (Drag the mouse down to the bottom, then drag further and it appears. Just do the same with the top.)

If they can't put swiping back, at least let it work like Bioshock Infinite does where Command+Tabbing simply temporarily windows the app until you focus it again. I need to be able to switch between the game and apps.

I hope it is sorted out in the major update coming.

Edit: Also, is there a premade map that's simple and just has an ocean, a single narrow river down the middle, mountains in the north end and all the proper outside connections? I just want a map with as much space as possible and all the right stuff. I'll try making one but the editor is too finicky for me. Plus you can't zoom out far enough for some reason.

spiritfox

I agree the menu appearing was annoying, but damn I need my swiping. It should be optional. Plus, isn't there a way to delay the menu appearance? If not, Apple needs to put it in. Make it so it only appears optionally when double tapping the top of the screen like how it does the Dock. (Drag the mouse down to the bottom, then drag further and it appears. Just do the same with the top.)

If they can't put swiping back, at least let it work like Bioshock Infinite does where Command+Tabbing simply temporarily windows the app until you focus it again. I need to be able to switch between the game and apps.

I hope it is sorted out in the major update coming.

Edit: Also, is there a premade map that's simple and just has an ocean, a single narrow river down the middle, mountains in the north end and all the proper outside connections? I just want a map with as much space as possible and all the right stuff. I'll try making one but the editor is too finicky for me. Plus you can't zoom out far enough for some reason.

Search for Flatland in the Steam Workshop.

Ostinatto

"Every" building: open the related info panel (or its own building tool, like pick the high school to know the coverage of high schools) and you'll see covered roads turning green.

"Each" building: you basically can and can't.
You can, if you try to plop a building far from other similar buildings, so the green roads are "separated" from the already covered ones; but you can't know it precisely if you try to plop a building in an already covered area (you'd only see the "newly" covered roads, but not where it "overlaps").

thanks a lot, and sorry for that, english is a 3rd language xD .

I forgot to include a discount code with my last post with the VIP link to get an addition 20% off. There's one right on their front page making it $17.51.

SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON

I love the road anarchy mod very much. It isn't just for roads, but it allows you to place buildings like piers and beaches partially on the water. And as long as it isn't placed underwater, people will still use it normally.

enjoy a 9 minute first person rollercoaster train ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MfdqzmTZIM

What mod was used for the first person? I am using a first person mod, but I can still actually see some polygons from the train. The way the mod works is that it moves the camera inside the train, but in my case I can still see a bit of the train's outsides. Maybe it's due to my 4:3 monitor...

But anyway, road anarchy mod + first person mod = awesome roller coasters. I made a short train line once that was literally just a roller coaster, steep tracks and everything. The train goes faster down drops, too. Plus, if the tracks are built wrong (specifically, if the angle changes too fast) then the train will derail/glitch out. Fun stuff.

Unai

thanks a lot, and sorry for that, english is a 3rd language xD .

11150392_1426364684335979_4589935518341087788_n.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Search for Flatland in the Steam Workshop.
I just spent a few hours yesterday making my own. I think I did pretty well. Simple. Mountains around the left, right and top. A river down the center. Ocean in the south. Mostly completely flat. Highways and train tracks from left to right.

I'm using it to experiment right now with a new city to create a design for neighborhoods to cut down on traffic. Plenty of walkways to help and bus stops.

I'm wondering, what's the best method for creating bus lines? I never know where to start. Is too many stops too much? Should you have a lot of stops? Or more lines? Will people rather take multiple busses to their destination or one single bus that goes straight there? Same question with subways. And what about trains? Is it useful to have a train loop around the city with stations scattered around? Or will people not really care much about them? I just want to get as much alternative transportation as possible to cut traffic as much as possible.

Jintor

Yes, the green street effectiveness actually demonstrates land value effect not policing effect. (Cops will go wherever)

Crispy75

I just spent a few hours yesterday making my own. I think I did pretty well. Simple. Mountains around the left, right and top. A river down the center. Ocean in the south. Mostly completely flat. Highways and train tracks from left to right.

I'm using it to experiment right now with a new city to create a design for neighborhoods to cut down on traffic. Plenty of walkways to help and bus stops.

I'm wondering, what's the best method for creating bus lines? I never know where to start. Is too many stops too much? Should you have a lot of stops? Or more lines? Will people rather take multiple busses to their destination or one single bus that goes straight there? Same question with subways. And what about trains? Is it useful to have a train loop around the city with stations scattered around? Or will people not really care much about them? I just want to get as much alternative transportation as possible to cut traffic as much as possible.

First thing to know is that Cims are more than happy to make lots of changes. I've tracked some of mine walking to the bus, bus to metro, metro to train, train to metro, metro to bus, walk to work.

That example illustrates the hierarchy of transit modes you should be aiming for. I space my train stations out by about a map tile, so 2km. I then have 1 or 2 metro lines feeding into each station. Buses are only used in low density areas to bring passengers in to the metro or train station. Downtown, I don't use buses at all, just more closely spaced metro lines.

Kinda like this

lECfKsd.png

But with as many rail lines as you think you need. Right now, all my rail lines go all the way into the city center for a big "Grand Central" interchange, but this uses up a lot of land and rather overloads the metro in one location. You might want to experiment with a layout like London, where the railway stations are around the edge of the center, with metro linking them together

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Something to think about I guess. I'll experiment.

Anyway, I am trying to get as many achievements as I can. I only have 9 left. But the easiest ones seem to be the hardest. I can't for the life of me get my crime up above 50%. I even downloaded a city with 50% crime and after a few minutes it dropped to 49%. I need it to stay at 50% for at least 5-10 minutes to unlock the Courthouse which I can then build to unlock the Medical Center which will then activate a bunch of achievements at once. (I Want It All and Medic!) Then I'd have to leave the city running for 3 hours on high speed and hope it stays above 40% crime to get the other achievement. Why is it so hard to make a city full of criminals?

Then I just have a few more. The "Cities in Motion" achievements will be easy to spam. But the 15% happiness achievement or the 75% education one or the impossible 95% happiness one. Plus the no ground or water pollution one. I guess a couple of those could be fudged with more save file sharing. I'm determined to get all the achievements if it kills me.

Copons

Something to think about I guess. I'll experiment.

Anyway, I am trying to get as many achievements as I can. I only have 9 left. But the easiest ones seem to be the hardest. I can't for the life of me get my crime up above 50%. I even downloaded a city with 50% crime and after a few minutes it dropped to 49%. I need it to stay at 50% for at least 5-10 minutes to unlock the Courthouse which I can then build to unlock the Medical Center which will then activate a bunch of achievements at once. (I Want It All and Medic!) Then I'd have to leave the city running for 3 hours on high speed and hope it stays above 40% crime to get the other achievement. Why is it so hard to make a city full of criminals?

Then I just have a few more. The "Cities in Motion" achievements will be easy to spam. But the 15% happiness achievement or the 75% education one or the impossible 95% happiness one. Plus the no ground or water pollution one. I guess a couple of those could be fudged with more save file sharing. I'm determined to get all the achievements if it kills me.

I posted some suggestions about the 50% crime some time ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158678527&postcount=6322 ^^

Beast780

I just bought this game off Steam. Here's my deal, I have my PC hooked up to a 32 inch TV and have terrible eye sight. Is there a way a way to increase text size without decreasing resolution? I can't play this game without being able to read the text, it's so damn small!

Also, recommend me some mods please?

dejay

Banned
I just bought this game off Steam. Here's my deal, I have my PC hooked up to a 32 inch TV and have terrible eye sight. Is there a way a way to increase text size without decreasing resolution? I can't play this game without being able to read the text, it's so damn small!

Also, recommend me some mods please?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407225523&searchtext=scale

Should help you with your text size issue

As for other mods, this hasn't been updated in a while, but the OP is useful

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012042

Mods I use and like are below (*=I'd hate to live without)

*Traffic Management - micro manage lanes, lights, adds proper yielding, etc
*All Areas Purchasable - enables you to use 25 tiles, but not from the outset
*Automatic bulldoze - allows you to automatically bulldoze burnt and/or abandoned buildings. Personally I only auto 'doze my burnt buildings
*Cursor Jail - useful for dual monitors
Enable Achievements - stops mods disabling achievements
Enhanced Zoom - allows you to zoom into first person mode and zoom out further
Extended Public Transport UI - gives some more options and ways of isolating individual lines
Fine Road Heights - gives you finer adjustments of road and rail elevations
*Improved Asset Panel - better way of viewing and managing assets
*Improved Mods Panel - better way of viewing and managing mods
Moving Sun - allows you to have the sun change angles during the day - a day/night cycle without the night
No Pillars - allows greater flexibility in road construction - allows special pillars to enable double stacked roads,etc
*One-way Street Arrows - shows the direction of your one way streets from afar
Pedestrian Crossings - even though Traffic Manager has crossings, this has a better implementation of them
Road Color Changer - allows darker roads
Sun Shafts - pretty sun shafts, works well with Moving Sun
*Terraform Tool - allows in-game terraforming
*Transport Capacity - allows you to change the capacity of buses, trains, metro, aircraft, etc by a config file
Tree Brush - allows quick placement of maaaany trees

Ranger X

Ok since a little while my city is full of building with "not enough workers". There's plenty residential zones though. I kept looking at those "not enough workers" building and realised that they all miss uneducated people...

So this means I need to purposedly make parts of my city where I don't put schools and create "dumb hoods" for those industries and commerce? Is this game for real? lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok since a little while my city is full of building with "not enough workers". There's plenty residential zones though. I kept looking at those "not enough workers" building and realised that they all miss uneducated people...

So this means I need to purposedly make parts of my city where I don't put schools and create "dumb hoods" for those industries and commerce? Is this game for real? lol
I really wish this wasn't the case. It feels so hacky wrong to me. I'd rather have a city of high education. Let the businesses work around that. I shouldn't have to dumb everyone down in order to give them jobs.

spiritfox

No, you don't have to keep your education level low. The issue happens when you have more jobs than people in the city, so the educated population will head for jobs of their level first. Just add more residents and the issue will not happen no matter the education level of your citizens.

Ranger X

No, you don't have to keep your education level low. The issue happens when you have more jobs than people in the city, so the educated population will head for jobs of their level first. Just add more residents and the issue will not happen no matter the education level of your citizens.

I have plenty, plenty, plenty unused residential zones right now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Plus there will be long stints where the game just doesn't want you to build any zones and doesn't tell you what to do in order to make it want more zones. I just want to keep building and expanding. When my RCI is at close to zero, it should ask me for more residential so I can keep going. Someone needs to make a mod that does this. I hate when I can't actually play the game for hours at a time because the game doesn't want me building RCI. Or at least tell me what to build in order to make the demand return.

Ranger X

Plus there will be long stints where the game just doesn't want you to build any zones and doesn't tell you what to do in order to make it want more zones. I just want to keep building and expanding. When my RCI is at close to zero, it should ask me for more residential so I can keep going. Someone needs to make a mod that does this. I hate when I can't actually play the game for hours at a time because the game doesn't want me building RCI. Or at least tell me what to build in order to make the demand return.

This is also happening to me. Why is that?

Anybody else having this problem??

My city is well maintained, happiness is in 80%+ for every citizen, no major problem, 19k people. Zones aren't building, RCI is at zero and industry and commerce want uneducated people!

spiritfox

I have plenty, plenty, plenty unused residential zones right now.

How long has it been standing empty? What is your demand for other zones? People should continue to move in unless there is no demand at all for residential, and even then there will be a few that will move in.

Also make sure your industry has good access to the homes. Public transport and free flowing roads will entice more people to work there.

Edit: Maybe post a picture of your city. Are you using any demand mods?

Ranger X

How long has it been standing empty? What is your demand for other zones? People should continue to move in unless there is no demand at all for residential, and even then there will be a few that will move in.

Also make sure your industry has good access to the homes. Public transport and free flowing roads will entice more people to work there.

Edit: Maybe post a picture of your city. Are you using any demand mods?

How do you take an efficient screenshot of a city outside printscreen?

Ranger X

Where the hell is steam saving the screenshots? lol
I didn't get to choose and I did check in AppData, My Documents, ProgramX86, etc

spiritfox

Damn, I got no screenshots. LOL at Steam saying that they make it easier ...

dozenwork_zpsdqdkme6r.jpg

You need to upload it first. Find the screenshot section in the client under the game's page, then upload it by clicking "View Screenshots", select the screenshot you want to upload, then click the "Upload" button.

Ranger X

You need to upload it first. Find the screenshot section in the client under the game's page, then upload it by clicking "View Screenshots", select the screenshot you want to upload, then click the "Upload" button.

Well, I been in the screenshot uploader. I selected Cities Skyline and there was no screenshots available. Oh well, I took some good old printscreen pictures instead...

TopView_zpsonpak0tj.jpg

Empty2_zps7uwxix7u.png

Empty1_zpsbyyewrlq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom