• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GMG has a new code for the weekend for 23% off and it should stack with their VIP deals so that would make Cities:Skylines $16.86USD, great time to get it if you haven't already for some reason and are looking to.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/
SAVE23-PAYDAY-WEEKND

Something to think about I guess. I'll experiment.

Anyway, I am trying to get as many achievements as I can. I only have 9 left. But the easiest ones seem to be the hardest. I can't for the life of me get my crime up above 50%. I even downloaded a city with 50% crime and after a few minutes it dropped to 49%. I need it to stay at 50% for at least 5-10 minutes to unlock the Courthouse which I can then build to unlock the Medical Center which will then activate a bunch of achievements at once. (I Want It All and Medic!) Then I'd have to leave the city running for 3 hours on high speed and hope it stays above 40% crime to get the other achievement. Why is it so hard to make a city full of criminals?

Then I just have a few more. The "Cities in Motion" achievements will be easy to spam. But the 15% happiness achievement or the 75% education one or the impossible 95% happiness one. Plus the no ground or water pollution one. I guess a couple of those could be fudged with more save file sharing. I'm determined to get all the achievements if it kills me.

I got the 50% crime thing surprisingly easy, I just had to decimate my city though thankfully you can keep the rewards without having to try and recover from the disaster. Turn off the police and schools, turn off parks and jack up the taxes on business and industry to max to eliminate jobs. When I did that my crime rate went from single digits to skyrocketing to well over 50% very quickly. Get it unlocked, make a new save and then reload your save before you tanked your city.

spiritfox

Well, I been in the screenshot uploader. I selected Cities Skyline and there was no screenshots available. Oh well, I took some good old printscreen pictures instead...

TopView_zpsonpak0tj.jpg

Empty2_zps7uwxix7u.png

Empty1_zpsbyyewrlq.png

Hmm, looks like you should let the city run for a few years while the residential areas develop. Also you should upgrade your dirt roads, and throw down some bus lines so people can get places better.

Ranger X

Hmm, looks like you should let the city run for a few years while the residential areas develop. Also you should upgrade your dirt roads, and throw down some bus lines so people can get places better.

Yeah this is full of bus lines in there. Like I said, the city is well maintained, all the different ratings are good and I make quite alot of money. The only thing that does not make sense to me right now is everybody asking for "uneducated workers". Why is that? I mean, the game should trigger business to built ACCORDING the education levels of the city in general. Even if real life a business wouldn't establish itself where there's no corresponding work force.

So GMG has a new code for the weekend for 23% off and it should stack with their VIP deals so that would make Cities:Skylines $16.86USD, great time to get it if you haven't already for some reason and are looking to.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/
SAVE23-PAYDAY-WEEKND

Just FYI, when I tried this the code would not stack with the VIP games. Tried Skylines as well as Wolfenstein and Project CARS and none of them worked.

Coolluck

Just FYI, when I tried this the code would not stack with the VIP games. Tried Skylines as well as Wolfenstein and Project CARS and none of them worked.

Yeah, I accidentally bought the game at the normal VIP price thinking I could apply the code at the final step. Oh well, that's my stupid tax.

I honestly don't get why their priority seems to be tunnels when some of their core systems seem almost broken.

- Education levels/workers is just annoying. Purposely keeping some citizens undeducated is just dumb. Businesses shouldn't go into business if there are no workers available. Available jobs should increase residential demand and unemployment should increase demand for jobs (commercial, industry, etc).

- Tourism, airports and buildings like stadiums are basically pointless right now. You can build a cool downtown entertainment district, but what's the point when it has no effect?

- Deathcare is just an idea that should have been squashed in development. Even ignoring the death wave issue, the whole idea makes little sense. First most people die in hospitals or senior care facilities. In CS people are just as likely to die in an office building as anywhere else. Second, could you imagine a city deciding to dig up the graves in a cemetery and ship all the bodies to an incinerator so that they can make room to bury more bodies?

- The whole industry/offices thing. Offices are so overpowered in this relationship. They cause little to no traffic, no pollution and they block noise pollution. Industry meanwhile causes pollution, creates a lot of traffic, has issues finding workers and resources run out so fast it's pretty much pointless to specialize unless you really need the cash.

- Finally crime is almost non-existent. The balance between crime and the other services is completely out of whack.

I honestly don't get why their priority seems to be tunnels when some of their core systems seem almost broken.

Tunnels are just the flagship new feature for the first big update, they're not all they're working on -- "The next planned update for Cities: Skylines will be the most substantial to date, adding new features, gameplay and balancing tweaks, improvements and more fun stuff! Many of you know it as the "tunnels and wall-to-wall buildings update" that will eventually be added to the game for free. As the update is a lot bigger than what we've previously released it's also going to be in development and QA for a longer time - meaning there's going to be at least a month before it's ready to be launched."

Tunnels are just the flagship new feature for the first big update, they're not all they're working on -- "The next planned update for Cities: Skylines will be the most substantial to date, adding new features, gameplay and balancing tweaks, improvements and more fun stuff! Many of you know it as the "tunnels and wall-to-wall buildings update" that will eventually be added to the game for free. As the update is a lot bigger than what we've previously released it's also going to be in development and QA for a longer time - meaning there's going to be at least a month before it's ready to be launched."
Yeah I get that, it just seems like tunnels is the main thing that would be holding everything else back. I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a lot of the balancing tweaks and smaller features before tunnels.

Ranger X

Yeah I get that, it just seems like tunnels is the main thing that would be holding everything else back. I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a lot of the balancing tweaks and smaller features before tunnels.

Its not like something like tunnel is the big workload in that update by the way.
But I have the same experience as you have with the game right now and that leaves SimCity4 with the crown of "best city builder of all time" for now.

I hope they address this thing. ESPECIALLY businesses starting for no good reason when there's no workers available for it. This is ridiculous.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully tweaks includes the RCI demand thing and makes service vehicles smarter in deciding who to go for. Possibly add a way to recall all service vehicles of a certain type and redispatch them.

Also please fix performance. It seems when I start a new city I'm flying even on low speed. But once I get to like 30,000 people the game lags like heck even on low graphics settings.

Ranger X

But once I get to like 30,000 people the game lags like heck even on low graphics settings.

For this particularly though, I suspect that the AI of this game is quite heavy on memory.
They actually made it just as smart but less demanding than SimCity5 so that's already good in my opinion.

I don't know how, but I made a dam so good that it reversed the flow of water near it, made the exit side bone dry and has stopped being able to produce electricity.

Ranger X

Cities Skylines Unexplained Mysteries Vol. 2

- Ok, my workers problems fixed itself by magic. I suddendly don't need dumb people anymore.

BUT A NEW PROBLEM ARISES: Some parts of the town decided to be sick with water.

- My water isn't polluted.
- My sewage system is well maintained and its capacity is far from being reached.
- My garbage system is well done, all roads are green + my incineration capacity is higher than what the town produce.
- Health system is also covering the whole city

So now explain me the hell am supposed to fix those sick peeps?

SickCity_zps93rezeu5.png

Its starting to tire me from the game to have those unexplainable or unlogical problems there. There was no such things in SimCity 4 really. (sorry to always compare but that's the game to beat!)

spiritfox

Check your health capacity and make sure your ambulances are not stuck in traffic too. That's not a sizable enough group of sick people to label it an epidemic.

Ranger X

But they have a "sick from water" icon as I understand it. Whats with my water? The only parameter that I can control is for it to be clean or not...

Indicate

Just found out about this game and it's pretty disappointing that it's missing important elements that are found to affect cities today which should have been included such as:

-Mixed use zoning
-Climate change effects (anthropogenic and natural )

I'll pass.

Crispy75

Just found out about this game and it's pretty disappointing that it's missing important elements that are found to affect cities today which should have been included such as:

-Mixed use zoning

I'll pass.
OK, go and play those other good city builder games instead. OH WAIT.

EDIT: Sorry, came off a bit harsh. Srsly tho, Mixed-use zoning is a pretty safe bet for a future update, and I bet a "rising sealevel mod" will be along some day. In the meantime, the only city builders worth a damn are Cities Skylines or Simcity 4. If you want free-form roads and modern graphics, then CS is the only game in town.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Somehow I got the Earthloving Achievement at random while playing. I guess it doesn't count as ground pollution when the incinerators aren't near any zoned buildings. (They were grouped together next to the ocean south of the solar power plants. Guess not close enough to the water and far enough from the zones.

-Mixed use zoning

I'll pass.

I think it would be silly to include the effects of anthropogenic climate change given that you're controlling a single city. Climate is regional and world wide. A city is a point source.

Mixed usage sucks, but I don't know if there is a precedent for it in city building games as of yet.

Seem like weird deal breakers.

Copons

Mixed usage sucks, but I don't know if there is a precedent for it in city building games as of yet.

Not quite a city builder, but same dev: in Cities in Motion (2 at least) there was mixed usage (homes/workplaces and workplaces/leisure).

I don't know if it sucks or not from a real life city planning standpoint, but I'd really dig that. Maybe because I live in EU and I'm quite used to see everywhere mixed residential/offices/commercial buildings (like, ground floor for stores and whatever in any other floor) and I've never really known how to properly approach the separate areas in games. :(

Ranger X

And you'll get alot of money later actually.
I have roughly 20k people, I never raised the taxes (they still 12% for low and 13% for high), I spent alot of money redoing stuff all the time and I have more than 3 millions in the bank, no loan...

BlackJace

One more question, how do you guys plan the urban parts of your cities? Do you position them a good distance from the suburbs? I was thinking about putting a little highway between downtown and the burbs.

Ranger X

One more question, how do you guys plan the urban parts of your cities? Do you position them a good distance from the suburbs? I was thinking about putting a little highway between downtown and the burbs.

Really is up to you. The game will work fine regardless. Especially since the population doesn't seem to mind commute time in their happiness. (am still quite new with the game though, might be wrong)

spiritfox

Really is up to you. The game will work fine regardless. Especially since the population doesn't seem to mind commute time in their happiness. (am still quite new with the game though, might be wrong)

They won't complain around commute time, but they will take jobs nearer to them first. This will result in jobs that are not as accessible to suffer from a lack of workers if there's a surplus of jobs. The Proper Hardness mod does take into account commute time though, if you want to try that.

Ranger X

They won't complain around commute time, but they will take jobs nearer to them first. This will result in jobs that are not as accessible to suffer from a lack of workers if there's a surplus of jobs. The Proper Hardness mod does take into account commute time though, if you want to try that.

So that might explain my "not enough uneducated worker" problem I got earlier!

ekim

Any idea why G-Sync isn't working with this game? Doesn't it run in a real fullscreen mode? Also overriding the AA settings for the game in the Nvidia control panel doesn't do anything. :(

Crispy75

Thanks and Thanks. :)

np :)

I've got my current city to about the right size (100k) and now I'm giving it a "beauty pass". Demolishing poorly placed buildings, adding trees and paths, fixing traffic hotspots etc. It's satisfying just throwing the camera round or taking first-person rides on cars and trains.Love this game.

Oh, and I recommend the One Way Arrow mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420500168 - makes big arrows float above your one-way streets. Turns out I had loads of "orphan" one-way streets and accidental dead-ends, which I never would have spotted otherwise.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So aside from fire, police, and goods transport, what "services" affect industry? I'd put parks in but pollution affects the park quality right?

Its starting to tire me from the game to have those unexplainable or unlogical problems there. There was no such things in SimCity 4 really. (sorry to always compare but that's the game to beat!)

Not sure we've played the same game. Random unlogical problems usually kill my interest in my current city, even with the fixes from NAM.

Some things that personally happened to me:
- Unexplained traffic in roads that go straight through underpasses.
- Abandoned buildings due to "horrible" traffic, when all their destinations are across the street.
- Sims of all income levels sometimes abandon buildings due to long commute times by car and bus when they've got easy access subways.

Those are on top of other bugs like an ordinance or two that never works, or the bug with I-HT demand, etc

Ranger X

I find something very interesting about this game!

I was trying to make some dumb hoods in order for some business to have enough worker earlier last week. Turns up that I just looked at those hoods and they know all educated, even with university diplomas. No school of any kind was making the roads green over there so I was wondering how the hell did they get educated?

- They use public transportation to go to far away schools!

I forget that I did put line buses and a metro line going to those hoods. Turns up they all took the metro and buses and got educated. This is a very interesting detail about the game. This means you apparently don't need to put more school than they there are students, even if your roads aren't all green! As long as you have public transportation on non-green regions!

BlackJace

I find something very interesting about this game!

I was trying to make some dumb hoods in order for some business to have enough worker earlier last week. Turns up that I just looked at those hoods and they know all educated, even with university diplomas. No school of any kind was making the roads green over there so I was wondering how the hell did they get educated?

- They use public transportation to go to far away schools!

I forget that I did put line buses and a metro line going to those hoods. Turns up they all took the metro and buses and got educated. This is a very interesting detail about the game. This means you apparently don't need to put more school than they there are students, even if your roads aren't all green! As long as you have public transportation on non-green regions!

Makes sense, I think the green represents walking distance.

spiritfox

The green radius is just where the service affects land values. There is no actual service radius for service buildings, and you can see garbage trucks and hearses travel across town just to pick up their cargo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom