• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Congrats! Say goodbye to your free time for the next few weeks. When I bought CSL I literally played nothing else for weeks. It's a very addictive and well done game, undoubtedly my favorite city builder of all time.

Got home last night and had my dinner then played for 3 hours on my first city before getting to bed at 12 and being up again this morning at 5:30.

Managed to mostly avoid having any straight roads at all too, and bought my first adjacent tile.

I'll be playing a lot more tonight since I have to prepare for a night shift tomorrow. Still not using any mods yet, though the ones to remove all the junk tweets and paint in trees with a brush look like must haves.

I can understand why people might get a bit lost after several hours though, some objectives can help games like this out I find.

Nothing major yet. Tunnels and wall-to-wall buildings are expected in the next big update, due in a month or 2

Oh yikes.

At first it was because I felt a bit burned out by the game, and soon afterwards things got slightly worse.

My laptop had severe performance issues in many games as recently as two weeks ago and turns out it's all because the fans were mostly blocked and the thermal paste gave out. All fixed now, officially under warranty, so yeah.

(I probably should find a way to reduce the amount of dust in the environment.)

What were the minor fixes, if any, that are worth noting anyway?

Apt101

I built a sprawling suburbia that relies completely on a very dense industrial section at its core, with commercial sections sort of spiraling out, weaving through the residential to offset traffic. Very lucrative, all clean energy. The hard drive in my laptop then died as my GF was using it, and the cloud save never sync'd. Fuck. I'll miss you Sansa.
Yes I named my town Sansa that's not weird.

DBT85

One thing I;m noticing watching these Lets Plays on Youtube is that since most of them are from Americans, most of the cities are in a more American style. So loads of grids everywhere. Interesting to see people playing what they know.

I built a sprawling suburbia that relies completely on a very dense industrial section at its core, with commercial sections sort of spiraling out, weaving through the residential to offset traffic. Very lucrative, all clean energy. The hard drive in my laptop then died as my GF was using it, and the cloud save never sync'd. Fuck. I'll miss you Sansa.

Why Sansa?

EDIT: just started looking at the mods on the workshop and found Walter Whites house complete with Pizza. Amazing. Could do with one fat pack of buildings really rather than having to sub to loads. EDIT Hey look at that, it exists already.

I added a whole lot. Love that the community for this seems so avid and is creating so making cool things.

I saw the sewage treatment things that produce garbage, Ideally they'd produce fertiliser and it would be sold to farms, wonder if things like that are possible.

Coolluck

I've put around 12 hours into it so far with my first city. I imagine I'll get 40 hours out of the first city and in essence the game. Then I'll go back and try and recreate my city starting with my neighborhood. That could easily take another 100 hours if I do it right. The first city is all I can really afford time-wise these days. I don't post much because I have nothing to contribute and I likely wouldn't share. At least not in the detail that we've seen people with better skills or just attention to detail do. I'm excited for future patches and mods. It's a great game and a contender for my GOTY for sure.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

For a second I thought this was a GoT spoiler and I was ready to kill you

Astery

Weird, it feels like this thread mostly died over the past month or so. Wonder if people were like me: really enthusiastic about the game at first, built out a city or two, then found the end-game wasn't as interesting? I could really go for some more objectives-based play like Cities in Motion had (i.e. have X profitable streetcar lines, build a suburban paradise, etc.).

I don't really need much objective based things, I just hope they fix many annoying stuff that breaks the game for me when trying to perfect my cities.

eg.
- http://gfycat.com/AnnualThunderousCock
Cargo terminal left hand driving bug (more like oversight). I absolutely need the terminals to run as best as they can, and this bug is just cockblocking everything. No I do not want to play right hand driving system just in order to have this working.

- Very little control over where the dumb trucks and delivery vehicles go.It's okay if they are not dumb, but they are quite dumb, much like the cims spending ages to go across the entire country to reach a school where there's another school closer to them, creating needless traffic problems that require big changes to the city to deal with.

DBT85

Was up to 3 this morning playing, go some KFCs and McDonalds springing up which was cool and reached the point where I get the Trains. Definitely need some more high density commercial lvl 3 buildings though.

Just added a bunch more assets to hopefully reduce some of the repetition.

Also tried to use the supersampling mod but my poor old 6950 is only pushing out 20 fps when I zoom down at my default resolution (2560x1200) so it gets a little upset when I push it up!

Very nearly ordered a 290x last night as I saw the Sapphire Vapor-x one for £275, but I've decided to just wait for the 380x instead. Should hopefully be close enough.

Weird, it feels like this thread mostly died over the past month or so. Wonder if people were like me: really enthusiastic about the game at first, built out a city or two, then found the end-game wasn't as interesting? I could really go for some more objectives-based play like Cities in Motion had (i.e. have X profitable streetcar lines, build a suburban paradise, etc.).

Im just waiting for the tunnels update before I continue playing.

- http://gfycat.com/AnnualThunderousCock
Cargo terminal left hand driving bug (more like oversight). I absolutely need the terminals to run as best as they can, and this bug is just cockblocking everything. No I do not want to play right hand driving system just in order to have this working.

There's a workaround involving deleting the road in front of cargo stations and having a road connect vertically right in front of the entrance/exit like this. It's also a good example of how to keep your internal cargo network separate from the external for efficiency, with two connected via road for import/export.

Very little control over where the dumb trucks and delivery vehicles go.It's okay if they are not dumb, but they are quite dumb, much like the cims spending ages to go across the entire country to reach a school where there's another school closer to them, creating needless traffic problems that require big changes to the city to deal with.

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a mod for better and more efficient garbage truck AI.

spiritfox

There's a workaround involving deleting the road in front of cargo stations and having a road connect vertically right in front of the entrance/exit like this. It's also a good example of how to keep your internal cargo network separate from the external for efficiency, with two connected via road for import/export.

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a mod for better and more efficient garbage truck AI.

Soda has been making a lot of useful mods. Early Death is great, and I like the remove seagulls one just because of all the parks I've been using for decoration lately.

DBT85

My city thus far. Only 22,000 peeps spread across 3 squares. Some more variety on the buildings as the industrial ones thanks to some mods. Also of course a different UI.

4010E1F5CDA0BD21298985608F1A405E666F1CAB

CE439FD3309F69155FDF5233BD6EBEBA74157699

Been using that myself, seems to be working quite well. It goes after garbage in the district first and then it looks for garbage in the radius.

Sooo, I guess I'll be reinstalling the game this week from the sound of it. It was uninstalled from my PC upgrading and a fresh install for the SSD I bought. I forgot to save my custom fire department and incinerator, ugh.

EDIT: Okay they were saved in the Skylines folder so I still have them, yay! Forgot I altered the metro station too. Speaking of which I think I might redo my metro lines again and do as shown earlier with having just one station for each area with buses to take people around instead of multiple since many barely get used anyway.

DBT85

Finally. That slope is steep though.

Woo. Hopefully they aren't all the same.

EDIT: Moo says that is the slop at it's limit. Ther are also different levels for tunnels and intersections. No footpath tunnels yet.

Also another change in the patch
Asset editor: Added the ability to set custom thumbnails and tooltip images for all types of assets (in the save panel)

Any asset that doesn;t have one can be marked as incompatible by players, and the asset creators will be contacted about adding one.

I'd love motorway off/on ramps to be a bit more gentle when merging too but that won't happen now.

Pachael

Tunnels under tunnels (from Moo) gives me hope that it's as controllable and useful as the level adjustments for roads/highways, and hopefully without all those pylons in the way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh snap, might be that quite big update... already...

Later this week? Outstanding. I've been playing other games waiting for tunnels to come, and I've been craving me some CSL again lately.

If it hits this week then Goodbye Weekend, lol.

cyba89

It's been a while since I played this game, but now I'm in the right mood.

I think I will start a new city from scratch, when the update hits.

Crispy75

Bear in mind that the update will probably break a lot of mods, so anyone diving straight in will be diving straight into the vanilla game

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My CSL is patching now, could it be the big tunnels patch?

bjaelke

My CSL is patching now, could it be the big tunnels patch?

Yes - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ontent-update-1-1-0-is-live-on-retail.856707/

Over 50 European style buildings
Wall-to-wall buildings enabling players to build those European streets and neighbourhoods
Three new starter maps
Tunnels, one of the community’s most requested features
A number of Asset Editor additions including the ability to import custom vehicles
A multitude of smaller cosmetic additions and bug fixes.

DBT85

Custom vehicles, neat. We can get themes packs of emergency vehicles and buses to replace the American designs!

Would be nice if you could have 2 squares on zoning on the side of pavements though!

EDIT: full patch notes and some more screens!

Full patch notes for Cities: Skylines 1.0.7 - 1.1.0

Features & New
New: European theme added
New: 72 European buildings in the European theme
New: Support for corner and adjacent buildings in the European theme
New: 3 maps added with European theme (Cliffside Bay, Foggy Hills and Grand River)
New: Tunnels for roads and rail added
New: Metro tunnels can be built at different levels
Options: V sync option added
Options: Invert Y mouse axis added

Editor & Modding
Launch options: added -noWorkshop to disable Steam workshop
Asset editor: Increased limit for bridge pillar count
Asset editor: Hedge added to residential props
Asset editor: Added custom vehicle importing
Asset editor: Added the ability to set custom thumbnails and tooltip images for all types of assets (in the save panel)
Asset editor: New editable properties exposed
Asset editor: Added ability to inherit building unlock milestone from template
Asset editor: vehicles have a Steam tag "Vehicle"
Asset editor: Fixed cut off text and missing spaces in the Properties box
Asset editor: Water Service buildings can now have proper pipe connections
Asset editor: Custom harbors and cargo harbors are now usable in-game
Asset editor: Custom airports now get visited by planes, like an actual airport
Asset editor: Fixed issue where some custom assets could not be loaded in-game after editing
Asset editor: Fixed missing texture for landfills
Asset Editor: Fixed a rare issue where holding and releasing the mouse button would not be recognized
Content manager: Introduced a new layout
Modding API: Added OnEnabled/OnDisabled support for IUserMod. Called everytime a mod is becoming active or inactive
Map editor: Fixed issue where users could place a water source outside the map area
Map editor: Fixed free camera hotkey not working

Bugfixes & Misc
Linux: support for JPG workshop previews added
Linux: users can now use numpad-Enter in-game
Linux: Fixed rare issue where users crashed due to a faulty asset
Fixed issue with 1x1 buildings "disappearing" when zoomed out too far
Fixed several localization issues
devInfo.txt is no longer needed
Achievements are now properly localized
Small contrast changes in some information windows to improve colorblind accessibility
Fixed issue where some elevated roads became immune to interaction
Metro and train lines now properly update when changed
Cruise ships no longer travel over land :’(
The 2x2 OreCrusher now has a purpose in life
Ireland is properly represented on the Union Jack
Cursor no longer disappears when you press Esc whilst rotating the camera
Adjusted upkeep cost of some roads to the one displayed in their tooltip
People no longer die when your city is at 0 population
Fixed an issue where right clicking a button would highlight it incorrectly
Fixed an issue where free camera mode was not enabled after viewing milestones
Fixed an issue where changing language in-game would not change language for some menus
Fixed an issue with mouse button key bindings
Fixed an issue where the options menu would not be closed properly by hitting the esc key
Fixed an issue where temporary save files would sometimes be visible
Fixed an issue where roads would snap to inaccessible sections of hydro dams
Fixed a graphics issue where text would sometimes be corrupted at the bottom of save and load menus
Trees in terrain heights view should now have the proper colors for their elevation
Fixed an issue where users could elevate the height of gravel paths, even though they could not place them
Fixed a minor graphical issue in the content manager
Fixed some text alignment problems
Text references to left and right mouse buttons now take left-handed mouse settings into account
Added confirmation prompt for Reset Unique Buildings

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow nice. Having tunnels will solve a lot of traffic outflow problems, especially for industrial trucks in certain city configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom