• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting audio stutter too, I was worried it was just me or my USB DAC.

Let us know if the new sound card fixes it.

Will do.
I'm not entirely happy I need to do this, but I'd rather try it and find out in case it isnt something that can be patched.
And as I said, It gives me a better sound card than my current on board one.

It'll be here Saturday so will let you know!

J. Bravo

I'm having trouble getting started. probably 80% of the games I've started end when I reject the bailout because no one is moving in. I can get everything juiced and watered but no one will show up. it's fucking annoying. Any ideas?

ps the game is not paused lol

Isomac

I need to be able to paint work areas for buildings. I built one very small city to my current map. Dumb crematory in the city decided it needs to pick up dead people all over the map.

bee

I'm having trouble getting started. probably 80% of the games I've started end when I reject the bailout because no one is moving in. I can get everything juiced and watered but no one will show up. it's fucking annoying. Any ideas?

Like NO ONE moves in at all? Sounds like an issue with your highway connection. How are you connecting the highway to your city's road network?

Jisgsaw

Your profits will plummet. They'll always bitch about workers. Just let them. Basically the only way to completely make them happy, is to create a ghetto right next to it, and keep them completely uneducated. Lol

Yeah, I did just that, it worked fine.

Oh yeah, another thing I'm sorely missing: a 4-lane one way road. You only have 2 or 6 lane one way road, I'd really like to have something in-between.
Edit: for those who don't see the need, what I want it for:
What I'm using quite a bit to manage flow right now is to split a 6-lane one way into three 2 lanes one way (going left, right and in front). this way the traffic is split between them, and all the lanes are used.
Being able to do the same for a simple two-road split would be great.

Are your highways pointed the wrong way??? Does that affect zones populating? I'm not sure....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Are you using one way or two way roads when connecting to highways? Note that for one-way roads, the direction is dictated by the direction you drag in.

Chariot

ugh, I cut budget for parks and education in half and deactivated the education monument and it only raised the crime rate temporarily to 22%. Not it's down to 21%. And my town is so big that I don't want to delete/deactivate every single park and school.

Corgi

Banned
figured out why I had traffic problems... one of my 1 way roads weren't being used because I put it on backwards :/

I feel like some of these tools could be better.

Moltenix

Some beautiful cities out here; thought I would share mine too. I know they're boring but i'm a sucker for grid layouts. I'm trying to move away from them a bit (lower left) while still keeping an overall grid structure for the main arteries. Population 45k and no major traffic issues so far.

pxJGPlv.png

Jisgsaw

Some beautiful cities out here; thought I would share mine too. I know they're boring but i'm a sucker for grid layouts. I'm trying to move away from them a bit (lower left) while still keeping an overall grid structure for the main arteries. Population 45k and no major traffic issues so far.

In case you haven't noticed: one of your highway ramp on the left is not connected (or connected the wrong way).
I noticed you have lot of walkways; do Cims use them a lot?

Oh man, my Oil industry is going down, they have nearly depleted the resources, I'm ready for tough times in this city. Population wise it isn't great as well, 62k but I'm between losing and gaining citizens. Some weeks the deaths are more than the births and the people aren't really demanding anything (housing, shops, industry). Let's see what happens.

Btw, really digging the first person mod to take some screenshots (don't really care about achievements).

manfestival

what does the purple mean?

Moltenix

In case you haven't noticed: one of your highway ramp on the left is not connected (or connected the wrong way).
I noticed you have lot of walkways; do Cims use them a lot?

Hah, that deadend is a work in progress.

I definitely get alot of use out of my walkways though. They're really good for providing shortcuts for pedestrians which would otherwise take longer to drive.

what does the purple mean?

Purple is ground pollution caused by industry. I try to keep my residential away for those areas. Putting some commercial or offices down as a buffer between industry and residential seems to work well.

Dommel

Having a great time with this game, finally the city builder we deserve.

Also having a strange problem though, deleted some highway (the one that is already there when you start/buy a lot) to insert the intersection. Connected it back up and for some reason the southbound section does not want to connect any more. I've deleted various parts, reconnected them many times but to no avail.

CSL%20highway%20problem.png

Cars just dissapear at the icons and I have no idea how to fix it, going back to previous save will lose me a lot of progress :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This may help as a start, reposting from earlier in the thread:

--------------

Here's a post someone made asking for help on how to unjam his traffic issue, with before and after gifs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...only_middle_lane_of_six_lane_street_used_bug/
Thanks. When I get home I need to see if I can fix my traffic. I just wish normal highways and onramps were available from the start just to help plan things for the future.

Also having a strange problem though, deleted some highway (the one that is already there when you start/buy a lot) to insert the intersection. Connected it back up and for some reason the southbound section does not want to connect any more. I've deleted various parts, reconnected them many times but to no avail.
One-way roads need to be drawn in the correct direction.

Rflagg

So I pulled the trigger and I can not get the game to launch, I have looked online for solutions and even tried to setting a custom height/width as per some of the answers I got and it still never renders the start screen just stays on a black screen forever. :( I guess I am stuck waiting for a patch to try out the fun.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok, going to try this, thanks!

I want the cheevo. And mayhem. Mostly the mayhem.

Yes. 90% highly, is this a problem? Going to cut the education budget then.

I had this same problem in the beginning. I waited till i was at 100k population, then turned all my budgets down to 50% and the police stations off. Be sure to not make your town so shit that everyone leaves, though.

xBladeM6x

I'm curious, I just went into a very densely populated area with massive amounts of traffic, with the first person camera mod, all settings maxed and my framerate plummeted to in the 20s. i7-3770k + GTX 980, is this normal / expected considering it's a giant city sim? I don't really mind, I just want to know if this is normal for that amount of stuff on screen, considering I have no prior experience with city sims. Lol

billsmugs

So I pulled the trigger and I can not get the game to launch, I have looked online for solutions and even tried to setting a custom height/width as per some of the answers I got and it still never renders the start screen just stays on a black screen forever. :( I guess I am stuck waiting for a patch to try out the fun.

If you get a cursor on the black screen then I had the same issue earlier today (after it had been working for a while), but doing a Steam "verify cache" a couple of times, disabling the Steam overlay and restarting the PC fixed it.

Rflagg

If you get a cursor on the black screen then I had the same issue earlier today (after it had been working for a while), but doing a Steam "verify cache" a couple of times, disabling the Steam overlay and restarting the PC fixed it.

I have done the verify cache (many times), but I will try disabling steam overlay.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Weird. I've been having this issue on Mac when I run it with In Home Streaming. On my PC I can see the screen just fine but I can only see the cursor on my Mac.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Nice! Bolded the items that caught my eye:

First thing's first: You've gotta think about how the game understands traffic and what the logic is. Traffic light timing, turning lane distribution, merging, changing the amount of lanes all makes a huge difference. Yes, the lane path-finding is a bit funky, but think of it this way: Vehicles like to get in a lane early on to make sure they don't have to do some crazy merging later on; make sure your busier roads' lanes all flow somewhere useful.

General road layout:

* Don't be afraid of dead ends; I see so many people obsessively join up to the next road, but it creates more intersections and means you have less space for buildings.
* Highways aren't always the answer; sometimes just deleting some of the roads joining onto a main road (or make overhead bypasses) will increase flow because there are less intersections.
* For any given area, try to keep your incoming traffic far away from your outgoing; distribute the load across different parts of the area.

* Large road (two-way) = moderate capacity at moderate speed; Highway = moderate capacity at high speed; Large road (one-way) = high capacity at moderate speed. Know which to use when.

Traffic Lights:

* For each direction that can enter a traffic light, you reduce the amount of time others have to go.
* Two one-way streets crossing is >4 times as much throughput than two two-way streets; Traffic directions not only have twice as much lane-space, but twice as much green-light time.
* T intersections have different lane configurations than Y intersections; and they have different speed limits.
* Don't be afraid of traffic lights; They are really superior when there is a higher load of traffic.
* Leave plenty of space between intersections; not enough room to filter through is probably the biggest problem I see
on this subreddit.

Highways:

* Linking two off-ramps to the beginning of a non-highway piece of road causes HUGE merging issues.
* Every junction is a bad junction.

The perfect city examples:

Heavy traffic industrial area overview.
Entering/exiting the freeway.
Distributing entering/exiting traffic through the area.

Points of note:

* Incoming and outgoing traffic do not touch each other until they're fairly well dispersed.
* Incoming traffic only stops when there are 12 lanes available; and those twelve lanes of traffic lights only have one other phase in the cycle so 50% of the time you have 12 lanes of throughput onto 18 lanes. This also matches the initial merge, 12 lanes flowing 50% of the time; at 6 full time lanes, you have no bottleneck.
* Space between the initial traffic lights is very long; space is a buffer for flow interruptions.
* Having the initial traffic light at the beginning rather than two Highway pieces merging means that vehicles coming from the left, wanting to go right, don't have to merge across 3 lanes of busy traffic. When 50% of the traffic tries to merge like this, the whole thing comes to a grinding halt. Same thing on the way out.
* I split the 6 lane into two 3 lanes outbound because each lane had a place to go, and I merged 3 lanes straight onto the highway so cars wouldn't all stack up in two of the six lanes the whole way down.
* The inbound, however, I made with 1 lane mergers (to avoid merging across 3 lanes, especially if there was an issue) and dumped it straight into a 6 lane so my traffic light throughput would be as high as possible; it's OK for cars to build up and then flush out.

Tips:

* Upgrading only the piece joining the traffic light (for example, from 4 to 6 lane) is a very cheap way of dramatically bumping up traffic throughput at minimal cost.
* Don't be so quick to isolate different parts of your city with the only way through being highways; design with the aim of making it so that it's just quicker for most people to opt for the highway.
* Don't watch famous Youtubers for ideas; they all seem to be terrible at this.

lol at that last one.

Interesting info on the simulation:

All workers do not need to get to work. This would simply need too much processing power if all 1 million citizens left to work at the same time. The worker numbers shown in factory information windows are the employees assigned for that building, the ones who can visit it as a work location. Not all of the workers will visit the building at the same time, some might not ever visit it, but they are the ones marked to work in the building. Employees don't need to get to work, but there need to be enough people in the city to assign to each workplace.

If citizens get stuck in traffic they will return to their starting point and abandon the traveling. This mechanic prevents city-wide gridlocks from happening, because when the traffic got that bad, it was very hard for players to see where the actual problem was because the traffic info view showed all roads as congested. Now the traffic jam will stay, but not expand uncontrollably, so it can be found and dealt with. Traffic jams do affect the city, because citizens can't travel to shopping locations, tourists can't travel to shopping locations, goods don't ship to local businesses and raw materials don't reach the industry.

Industry needs connections to receive raw materials and ship goods to outside locations or businesses in the city. For the most tax revenue, you should produce raw materials locally, have industry make them into goods and have local shops sell them. The shared save (Worker bug) has a city that does not even cover the upkeep of the roads with the industry taxes because they do not ship to local commercial areas. All buildings spawn with a small buffer of the items they need (goods for commercial, raw materials for industry) and will only require a shipment once the buffer gets low. In the save's very small city the buffer lasts quite a long time, but if you let the save roll on top speed for about 15 minutes, the buffer empties and commercial starts to need more goods. In a larger city, the buffer is gone fast and thus buildings react to poor connections faster.

So basically goods and raw materials work as agents, but citizens are a combination of agent and statistical model. A good road network makes the city produce more tax revenue, and having public transportation to take citizens to work will benefit the player by generating ticket income. Tourists only spend money in the city if they can reach commercial areas.

The city is quite slow to react to changes, but this was a choice made for stability so you can't accidentally destroy your city by a few poor choices. There's always time to react and fix things.

In Skylines citizens would not leave for work at the same time. Right now they have locations they are likely to visit, which differ per age group. Young adults with jobs (non-students) and adults are very likely to visit their workplace, seniors prefer parks and other leisure locations, children and teens go to school and all ages go shopping. If the citizens reach their destinations, the city runs better and makes more money, but it is not catastrophic if they do not reach the places, so players have the time to make fixes and can play even if they are not very skilled with traffic management.

To keep the system requirements reasonable, the game simulates about 65k of citizens moving around the city at the same time. So that size of cities would be possible to simulate with actual agents. But since we had the aim of one million citizens from the start, we had to be creative and combine systems to help the cities have life, but not so much that they get congested with cars and citizens and make your computer explode in a fiery ball.

For the guy asking about crime:

Some one was also asking about the crime rate. The crime rate is affected not only by police, but also by citizen happiness. Basically the happier citizens are, the less likely they are to turn to crime. So when you try to get a high crime rate, turn off many services to lower land value and lessen available services, so that citizens will be miserable.

Getting citizens to the workplaces offers a small efficiency boost to the workplaces, but not much, because the player cannot affect the fact that not all citizens are able to go to the workplaces and it would feel unfair to punish them for that.

Having a great time with this game, finally the city builder we deserve.

CSL%20highway%20problem.png

Cars just dissapear at the icons and I have no idea how to fix it, going back to previous save will lose me a lot of progress :(

Did you drag the highway the proper direction? Im fairly certain highways are 1 way and you might have the flow going backwards in that snippet.

W1SSY

Did you drag the highway the proper direction? Im fairly certain highways are 1 way and you might have the flow going backwards in that snippet.

That looks correct to me. You get that icon when you have an issue with the road being in the wrong direction. You just need to delete it and make sure when you place the road you go in the directions that traffic flows.

Lucifon

Has anyone had this issue where traffic just seems to turn in the middle of the road??

Also anyway to sort decent AA in the game? AA is on but it's pretty jaggy. Would look so much prettier if it had proper AA.

billsmugs

I've never played a city building sim before and I've definitely learnt a lot of lessons about what not do in my next city. I'm kind of hoping for something to go terribly wrong in my city to give me an excuse to restart, but I'm really enjoying it! I might try using unlimited money for my next attempt, possibly with all unlocks and the full 25 tile mod. I feel like having limited money at the start forces you into having a sub-optimal district layout that becomes difficult to fix later, when money becomes much less of an issue.

Here's my first city in its current state:

As you can see, I've gone for the "lots of separate areas poorly connected by crazy road-spaghetti" approach.

Traffic is becoming quite an issue with over 50,000 people trying to navigate my poorly thought-out road network and I haven't left much room to fix parts of it:

How far are citizens willing to travel to shops etc? I've been putting commercial sections in each of my residential zones, but if I could keep commercial and residential separate it would help a lot with routing traffic (and noise pollution). Also, how much impact on traffic does zoning have? Is it best to leave busier roads un-zoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom