• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptkrush

This game is really dangerous for me apparently. I sat down to play a little bit this afternoon; I just looked at the clock and 5 hours have gone by. This game is too good.

Loving the absolute hell out of this game. SO good. Every night it's like "just one more road", "oh, garbage problem, better fix that before I save", "oh, power problem, better build another wind generator", "oh water issue? Forgot to run a pipe under that new residential extension", "OH SHIT 2am....... abandoned building, that's strange, better fix it up before I save..".

Had a weird problem last night though with my hydro plant.

2X8cZ1c.jpg

Anyone had that happen? Hydro plant was running fine for at least an hour, then suddenly half my city is without power - and I realise there's no water in the river at all.

Dam was switched on, cycling it off/on did nothing, and couldn't seem to get it going again. All that fixed it was a destroy/rebuild, so I've blown a good chunk of money haha..

Anything that I should have looked for on the issues side of things, or is it a bug?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Loving the absolute hell out of this game. SO good. Every night it's like "just one more road", "oh, garbage problem, better fix that before I save", "oh, power problem, better build another wind generator", "oh water issue? Forgot to run a pipe under that new residential extension", "OH SHIT 2am....... abandoned building, that's strange, better fix it up before I save..".

Had a weird problem last night though with my hydro plant.

Anyone had that happen? Hydro plant was running fine for at least an hour, then suddenly half my city is without power - and I realise there's no water in the river at all.

Dam was switched on, cycling it off/on did nothing, and couldn't seem to get it going again. All that fixed it was a destroy/rebuild, so I've blown a good chunk of money haha..

Anything that I should have looked for on the issues side of things, or is it a bug?

Check to see where the water is actually flowing. It's flooding somewhere else most likely, you'll need to dam that region to get it going back over your first dam.

Check to see where the water is actually flowing. It's flooding somewhere else most likely, you'll need to dam that region to get it going back over your first dam.

I really had a good look last night and couldn't see it filtering out anywhere else but will have a better look tonight.

As of save last night the rebuilt one was working fine again, so I'll see how long it lasts haha, if it happens again I guess the water must be diverting somewhere else.

So I built a new residential zone far off in a corner, with the idea that cims would work in the closeby industry area.

Somehow, they are educated, and going all the way across the city to work in the high density commercial area.

how? I have no schools around. Did they "move" from the city? I thought theyd be new cims

Garbage is piled up on my residential zones and my landfill is 15% full, what i should do with this?

Are you emptying your landfill into incinerators? This can take priority over picking up garbage from cims.

Create an extra incinerator to deal with cims, empty the landfill, then delete it.

Ostinatto

Are you emptying your landfill into incinerators? This can take priority over picking up garbage from cims.

Create an extra incinerator to deal with cims, empty the landfill, then delete it.

But my landfill is 15% full, i can't build incinerators atm they are locked.

But my landfill is 15% full, i can't build incinerators atm they are locked.

Your trucks might either have to travel too far, or are getting stuck in traffic and giving up. Is your dump waaaaaay far away from your residential areas? Also do you have a lot of one-way streets?

dLMN8R

Ok, I don't own Skylines yet but I do own SimCity 2013 and barely ever played it.

I know SimCity has major weaknesses, city size being the one I care most about, but I'm still going to start playing it until I stop having fun with it just to prepare me for eventually buying Skylines sometime in the future :-D

Ainsz

OK, this just blew my goddamn mind. Someone decided to recreate Los Santos from GTA V in Cities Skylines.

Link to steam workshop.

I have no words.

100/10.

That is fucking incredible! I love how they made the sewage flow across the bay, I hope it's a reference to Faliing Down aha.

Ostinatto

Your trucks might either have to travel too far, or are getting stuck in traffic and giving up. Is your dump waaaaaay far away from your residential areas? Also do you have a lot of one-way streets?

the garbage trucks are getting full before getting into resi zone, how do i buy more garbage trucks?

So I watched the Giant Bomb quick look on this game and it looks fantastic. My best foray into Sim City is Sim City 4(I absolutely adored it), how does this compare? Is there natural disasters you can unleash on your city?

Dennis

Banned
SimCity veterans, as a fellow master of urban planning, how good is the game compared to the glorious SimCities of the past?

Klyka

Banned
SimCity veterans, as a fellow master of urban planning, how good is the game compared to the glorious SimCities of the past?

I am enjoying it as much as Sim City 4 without mods and I am sure once the modding gets indepth it will dethrone Sim City 4 as the ultimate.

spiritfox

It's good right out of the box, though not at the lvl of SC4 with NAM yet. But it'll easily surpass that with just a few mods or DLC content.

A bit tight on money right now, what's the cheapest price you guys have seen the game for? I thought I would be able to use that 23% off coupon at GMG but noop.

finalflame

A bit tight on money right now, what's the cheapest price you guys have seen the game for? I thought I would be able to use that 23% off coupon at GMG but noop.

I got it from Nuuvem. Just use Hola extension in Chrome to set your country to Brazil. Should come out to ~$17-18 USD (as of today dollar and Euro are about 1:1). Checkout with PayPal and subsequent code works flawlessly.

Mik2121

Yesterday I was trying to build some stuff on the riverside of my town and I had some issues with the landscape shape. This game needs some tool to modify landscapes even if it's something at a smaller scale and costs money. Sometimes I want to flatten some areas to be able to fit a larger building and just can't... it can be done in real life, why can't it be done here!

Hopefully we get some updates for this game from Colossal after they take their well deserved break!

How much tax are you guys charging?

Around 10% average on the left column and 12% on the right column.

Traffic is such a bitch in this game even with the free public transit
FJ7aIL.jpg

Heres what my city is looking like right now. Averaging around 20k + income which doesn't seem like a lot with around 40k population.

JNztVg.jpg

zXjZdn.jpg

tHztB7.jpg

And a mistake I noticed I've been making is leaving way too much space when I'm plotting down zones need to fix that later on.
qsNSzi.jpg

MattyG

Banned
So I've never played a city builder for more than 30 minutes total and I have no idea what I'm doing. Where should I start? What should I know before starting?

Mik2121

why are all my industries saying they can't find workers? :/

Your workers are probably over-educated and don't want to work there. I got the same issue. What I will try to do is actually create a small town far away from the main area and only give them some small school so that they don't get too educated, then place the industrial area near them, lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Your workers are probably over-educated and don't want to work there. I got the same issue. What I will try to do is actually create a small town far away from the main area and only give them some small school so that they don't get too educated, then place the industrial area near them, lol.

i've tried to do this, maybe i need to make the town further away.

fedexpeon

Banned
So I've never played a city builder for more than 30 minutes total and I have no idea what I'm doing. Where should I start? What should I know before starting?

You just need to know that 95% of the problem in this type of game is road planning. You need to be very careful when road planning.
Leave a couple of gap so you can upgrade roads when traffic becomes a problem.

spiritfox

Industries really need a high tech or educated option to level up to, or at least specialize in.

Though it's kind of interesting to represent the industrial bust developed countries experienced in the late 20th century, it's not fun gameplay wise.

Danlord

Apologies if this has already been pointed out before, but I found this guy in my game;
5P8q3GK.jpg

which is from this meme;

I'm really enjoying the game. Downloaded the Dynamic resolution scaler, parking lots, good roundabouts etc. Everyone should use these mods. So good.

Dynamic Resolution: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464
First-person Camera: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342&searchtext= (Not tried it myself yet)
Los Santos from GTA:V save : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406684124

This game is amazing. I can't wait to see how well the developers take note of feedback and implement them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally unlocked the damn courthouse. I started a new game, and built quickly until I unlocked the police dept. I never built it, turned up the tax a bit, and kept the citizens hovering at a decent unhappiness rate.

It's a lot easier when your town is full of level 1 buildings, as they seem to be less prone to abandonment if left unhappy.

ibyea

Banned
Couldn't resist and bought it. Gosh, certain parts take getting used to since I used to play Sim City 4 a lot. I played only a little, though. Stinking homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom