• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sadly, yes. It's still great for taking screenshots, but any mod that's categorized as a "mod" will disable achievements.

Darn. Still gonna get it though, I can just enable the mod and load my city to take some pics, then exit without saving and disable the mod and go back in, achievements preserved!!!!

Eventually I'll get all of the achievements anyway and then it won't matter anymore.

I never realised how popular my bus service has become.

This is what happens if you remove a dam, everything still works though. Tough shit that these Sims build.

It's just a lovely game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really suck at designing cities. Still loving the game, but I've never really played SimCity before. However, I do find myself analyzing the road systems in my (real life) city. :p

Ranger X

I took a video of a car driving around my highway and into the city. It's fun to watch the cars drive around!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7ODQLRO6c

It might be still processing at the time of this post!

Something is really deceiving here. I thought they learned about the traffic evident unrealistic traffic jams cause by the fact they didn't have traffic lights in Cities In Motion series.

I can't believe we are in a city builder and it doesn't seem to be there.
I'm quite reconsidering my purchase now. :(

empyrean

Anyone help? Got a Macbook Pro form 2010 (nvidia gt 320m) trying to play Skylines, think my machine i probably underspecc'd so it may just be from that, but when launching all i see is the following:

yw9BpMA.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I really suck at designing cities. Still loving the game, but I've never really played SimCity before. However, I do find myself analyzing the road systems in my (real life) city. :p

One of the things that people often miss in their road system design is the concept of weaving. This is when cars have to slow down to properly enter traffic, which oftentimes occurs for example, when an offramp is placed right after an onramp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_separation#Weaving

http://transportation.ce.gatech.edu/weaving

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's a good tip if you want to clean up your zones at intersections - place a pedestrian path alongside the road. Works with either pavement or gravel paths:

clWmjWJ.jpg

QG07CQW.jpg

quc0m6X.jpg

Note that these paths would be bulldozed if you upgrade those roads later on, so if you plan to try this on somewhere you plan on upgrading move the paths further away by one square.

Here's a good tip if you want to clean up your zones at intersections - place a pedestrian path alongside the road. Works with either pavement or gravel paths:

clWmjWJ.jpg

QG07CQW.jpg

Note that these paths would be bulldozed if you upgrade those roads later on, so if you plan to try this on somewhere you plan on upgrading move the paths further away by one square.

!!!!!

Awesome Tip!

Also that cuts off the problem of vehicles trying to access buildings on main thoroughfares, without resorting to fiddling with individual zone square placement.

Mengy

boltz

So from earlier in the thread is a read how the agents are decoupled from the visualization of the game. Does this mean that the traffic and pedestrians you see in game are just general representations of what the agents are doing?

I'm curious because when people mention following cars, what does that car really represent? Are you really following an agent in the game?

My city is having a major garbage problem. Even though I've been setting a lot of land fills and plants to collect garbage, not all trucks are being used and there's a lot of garbage filling up in homes and businesses.

Hi, I have some questions regarding the Map Editor which I'm hoping someone here can help with:

1. How on Earth do you create beaches? Possibly I suck at terraforming, but I can never seem to create nice slopes onto a beach. Any tips?

2. Do we absolutely have to use highways (motorways) to get people to come to the city? I'm trying to recreate where I live and we don't have any!!

3. Is there any way to edit a map in the main game or is it purely in the editor? Oft times I've found when I'm placing roads and buildings, I need to alter the landscape some because my scale is wildly out and this frustrates me!

4. Is anybody any good at painting in streams and rivers? My heightmap of the Isle of Man is fine for mountainous areas, but loses all detail in the north which comes out slightly bumpy, but with no rivers. This is down to the DEM available.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So from earlier in the thread is a read how the agents are decoupled from the visualization of the game. Does this mean that the traffic and pedestrians you see in game are just general representations of what the agents are doing?

I'm curious because when people mention following cars, what does that car really represent? Are you really following an agent in the game?

They are decoupled in SimCity4. They are not in Cities Skylines. All the cars and people are doing pathfinding in real time, unless they are at a gathering spot, in which case they are doing an idle animation, or waiting around in a building.

Hi, I have some questions regarding the Map Editor which I'm hoping someone here can help with:

1. How on Earth do you create beaches? Possibly I suck at terraforming, but I can never seem to create nice slopes onto a beach. Any tips?

2. Do we absolutely have to use highways (motorways) to get people to come to the city? I'm trying to recreate where I live and we don't have any!!

3. Is there any way to edit a map in the main game or is it purely in the editor? Oft times I've found when I'm placing roads and buildings, I need to alter the landscape some because my scale is wildly out and this frustrates me!

4. Is anybody any good at painting in streams and rivers? My heightmap of the Isle of Man is fine for mountainous areas, but loses all detail in the north which comes out slightly bumpy, but with no rivers. This is down to the DEM available.

I can only answer 2 and 3 as I haven't touched the editor yet.

2. Yes, you need at least 1 highway as the engine uses that to import/export goods and raw materials.

3. No, dangit. Theres a ton of requests for a map editor though once you create the city. I really really really hope it comes soon.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait. am I only allowed to make different parks in the asset editor? What if I want to make a new landfill or a hospital, or a combination fire station and windmill?

1. Slope tools is king for that. Make sure to lower the "strength" of the tool very low to give you more fine-grain control.

2. Until someone mods the game to remove this requirement, yes. The way the game is structured, you don't have access to rail or sea during the earliest parts of development, so there would be no way for CIMs to get into your city!

3. Sadly no. This may never change, as it seems like a very deliberate design choice. No idea if it is even possible.

4. Tool Strength is key if you're trying to create good looking rivers. I find between 5-15% strength is enough to get really fine control, which makes tweaking those little details a lot easier.

DoubleYou

Anyone help? Got a Macbook Pro form 2010 (nvidia gt 320m) trying to play Skylines, think my machine i probably underspecc'd so it may just be from that, but when launching all i see is the following:

In Steam right click on the game for Properties and then uncheck Steam Overlay.
Worked for me.

Linius

I think once I'm down with how this game works I'm gonna try to build a functional garden city following Howard's philosophy. Can't wait to try out stuff I'm learning for my study and see how that works out in this game.

Neat article about traffic analysis. I haven't had time to read it all yet.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/socio75.html

I think it's silly how they glossed over one-way streets and grid layouts. It's the most efficient way to handle volume in high density areas. My biggest gripe with a lot of these traffic studies is they are at odds with modern city planning theory. There's been a big push (primarily in southern cities) to change one-way streets to two way, with the notion that two way streets are more efficient if they are servicing short trips than one-way streets are. The problem with this is that if the trips are short enough that a two-way street is more effective at serving them the city has failed to be walkable or have good transit access. TOD, mixed use zoning, and effective use of localized services is a far better solution to maximizing throughput of short trips than changing one-way streets to two way or from moving away from a grid.

boltz

They are decoupled in SimCity4. They are not in Cities Skylines. All the cars and people are doing pathfinding in real time, unless they are at a gathering spot, in which case they are doing an idle animation, or waiting around in a building.

Oh wow, I did not know that. I was thinking that with the larger city sizes and population limit, the game wouldn't be able to handle a coupling of the two systems, which was the limitation in simcity 2013.

So then it looks like there aren't really any performance issues from the systems being coupled with it seems most people running the game with no issues? I wonder why the Glassbox engine from SC2013 couldn't handle bigger cities?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Starting out tips welcomed. Game starts you out going 'build a road' but I don't want to screw up the town right from the start. Can I just whack down a long straight road off the 'out of town' motorway and then branch off from there?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh wow, I did not know that. I was thinking that with the larger city sizes and population limit, the game wouldn't be able to handle a coupling of the two systems, which was the limitation in simcity 2013.

So then it looks like there aren't really any performance issues from the systems being coupled with it seems most people running the game with no issues? I wonder why the Glassbox engine from SC2013 couldn't handle bigger cities?

SC2013 didn't have a separate thread for pathfinding like In Skylines.

Is there a way to simply upgrade roads or do I have to demolish and remake them?

There is an upgrade road option next to the free-form button. You can only upgrade one-way roads to a larger one-way roads, same with two-way roads (meaning you can't change a one way to a two way with the upgrade tool).

Note that upgrading roads will demolish anything right next to it if there's no free space when expanding the thinner roads.

Mengy

Starting out tips welcomed. Game starts you out going 'build a road' but I don't want to screw up the town right from the start. Can I just whack down a long straight road off the 'out of town' motorway and then branch off from there?

My advice is this: just build and don't be afraid to mess things up. I flubbed my first city and ran out of money. Part of the fun of the game is trying things out and discovery, and since we have save games and can reload at any time you should never be afraid to just try stuff. You can have as many save games as you want, as many cities as you want, just get to building and try stuff and learn and improve.

But to answer your question, sure you can start with a long straight road!

I wonder why the Glassbox engine from SC2013 couldn't handle bigger cities?

Simcity 2013 was a single core game, no threading other than the audio.

My city is having a major garbage problem. Even though I've been setting a lot of land fills and plants to collect garbage, not all trucks are being used and there's a lot of garbage filling up in homes and businesses.

Is your budget at max?

I posted a dev/community post saying only 60K of the 1 million cims are actually simulated as agents or something to that effect. I think the rest of generalized/visual, but I dont know how it would work

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SC2013 didn't have a separate thread for pathfinding like In Skylines.

There is an upgrade road option next to the free-form button. You can only upgrade one-way roads to a larger one-way roads, same with two-way roads (meaning you can't change a one way to a two way with the upgrade tool).

Note that upgrading roads will demolish anything right next to it if there's no free space when expanding the thinner roads.

Oh god I can't upgrade any of the roads I need ;_;

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

SimCity did fucking everything as agents: water, electricity, shit, and other invisible communication devices. It was a bad decision.

I posted a dev/community post saying only 60K of the 1 million cims are actually simulated as agents or something to that effect. I think the rest of generalized/visual, but I dont know how it would work

Yeah that's what I was basing my post on. I'm pleasantly surprised at the openness of the devs.

Second attempt! Now that I've mostly mastered the road tools...

Traffic is acceptable though. I wonder if it'll last. 44,000 residents, give or take, by the time of screenshot. (Also, the city is printing money at 19K per week.)

(Everyone demands offices now. I once tried to zone extra industrial. Nobody could work there, so there's a lotta office area near the industrial - they're rezoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom