• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That's right Maxis closed down right? So no more SimCity's?

edit: Or not. I can't remember all the studios EA has shuttered.

Yes, EA has closed down the Maxis that made Simcity, they are gone. If there is ever another Simcity game it will be made by some other EA studio, and most likely will be nothing like the franchise has been before.

Now, if ex Maxis employees are making mods for CSL, that's indeed fantastic news! In my dream world I'd love to see CO hire a few ex-Maxis guys, I'd smile greatly if that happened.

If you place a water pump it will actually pump water out of the area thus lowering the water level. I think sewer drains will also raise the water level. Why is this important?
1) If you're like me you grew your city from 0-100,000 with no problems of separation of water pumps and poop water. Then suddenly everyone starts dying. The reason is the water pumps lower the river level allowing the poop water to flow backwards. It isn't a problem initially since you only have a couple water pumps, but as you pick up more pumps it will backflow:

Coooool

hrXW368.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, EA has closed down the Maxis that made Simcity, they are gone. If there is ever another Simcity game it will be made by some other EA studio, and most likely will be nothing like the franchise has been before.
It already was a completely different game than it used to. They were ruining the franchise for years. If another SimCity game ever comes along, it'll try and copy Skylines as much as possible and probably fail. I feel Skylines has successfully taken the crown. I don't think EA will even try to compete for a long time. I welcome our new city simulation overlords.

Kinthalis

Banned

It'll probably be some cow clicker on mobile devices, or ridiculously dumbed down and thrown on consoles and PC with $100 worth of day on DLC.

Oh, the humanity!

bounchfx

really enjoying the game. The only things I can think of to improve it would be:

- fix the car pathing AI. Right now they don't really use any of the lanes, it would really help the look of the game + traffic issues if they adapted to traffic and used multiple lanes

- weather. Why isn't there any weather? :(

It'll probably be some cow clicker on mobile devices, or ridiculously dumbed down and thrown on consoles and PC with $100 worth of day on DLC.

Oh, the humanity!

That already exists. It's called SimCity Buildit. And it's as bad as you'd imagine coming from EA mobile.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It already was a completely different game than it used to. They were ruining the franchise for years. If another SimCity game ever comes along, it'll try and copy Skylines as much as possible and probably fail. I feel Skylines has successfully taken the crown. I don't think EA will even try to compete for a long time. I welcome our new city simulation overlords.

Yep, I agree. Cities Skylines will continue the great legacy that Simcity 1 - 4 created, and seeing how great CSL has turned out I'm completely fine with that.

I'm just glad we finally have a modern city builder that is worth a damn! Now I just need someone to take over the 9 year old flight simulator crown from FSX and give me a modern fully featured flight sim....

What are some little tricks I should know so things run a bit smoother? I have 7.5k population but I feel like I got here very hackily(?). I have no regards to street structure etc

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
really enjoying the game. The only things I can think of to improve it would be:

- fix the car pathing AI. Right now they don't really use any of the lanes, it would really help the look of the game + traffic issues if they adapted to traffic and used multiple lanes

The lane thing can be managed if you know how it works:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...only_middle_lane_of_six_lane_street_used_bug/
http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...raffic_management_simulation_gaming_the_game/

Rflagg

Finally fixed the black screen issues I was having and in case it helps someone the way I did it was by running vcredist_x64.exe which is found under CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 folder and completely uninstalling c++ then running that same file and re-installing it fresh.

samn

In fairness, City Skylines feels like a ripoff of Simcity but with its core failings fixed up.

I don't think it would be as good as it is if SC13 hadn't come along. It did a lot of stuff right.

Skyzard

Banned
Not sure what's going on but anyone run into a similar problem and have a fix?

When starting the game up each time it will lag my PC out majorly (very good gaming pc) for about 30seconds until the application window appears and then it's all good.

Grief.exe

Do train jams matter? I have my entire Cargo and Passenger line on one rail.

I was thinking of seperating them into 1 passenger line and 2 cargo to prevent jams.

Amzin

The thing is, traffic in this game drives like self-driving cars in real life would try to drive, efficiently. There's no reason to be in the left lane if you aren't going a far distance or turning left soon, but people do that because people are bad drivers. If all the traffic is in the right lane, that means those cars would just need to merge from the left lane anyway, creating worse traffic (which again, is what people do.)

The roads and highways in my real city are pretty well designed and have more than enough capacity, but there's traffic jams every day because people don't get in the correct lanes and then do stupid stuff to make up for it :p

Do train jams matter? I have my entire Cargo and Passenger line on one rail.

I was thinking of seperating them into 1 passenger line and 2 cargo to prevent jams.

It might help overall traffic. I think cargo needs quick routes in and out of the city while commuters need to get from their home to their job/location within the city. Having a commuter loop(s) might help. I have no idea as Ive barely had anytime to play because my wife keeps taking over the PC.

Linius

Starting parts of my city are a bit crap so I might start over yet again.

That's neat! Though my teacher would probably slap you for having people live there inhaling those sweet fumes :p

I'm gonna give it another spin before I go to bed I think. Hopefully I can get people to live in my city now. Just the kind of thing I can succeed in, having no one in my city.

This guy is not messing around

Gandie

Reading this thread pushed me over the edge. Downloading the game right now. Despite all of its flaws I got sucked into SC 2013 for a dozen or so hours. Hopefully Skylines can deliver where SC was shallow and poorly designed.

Reading this thread pushed me over the edge. Downloading the game right now. Despite all of its flaws I got sucked into SC 2013 for a dozen or so hours. Hopefully Skylines can deliver where SC was shallow and poorly designed.

If youre a true sim fan, you will spend a dozen hours in the terrain editor before you even start playing :p

Almighty

Well I got my city to a pretty decent size(30k), but I am sure if I grow it anymore traffic will kill me. It has already become a problem and it would take a massive destruction effort to fix it. So I am thinking it will just level my city and start over again with the two million I have saved up. I have a few ideas in mind already.

Ruruja

Ah crap, just had a CTD. I hadn't saved it either. Most of my city got sick suddenly, so I clicked on a household and that's when it crashed. Can't remember the error but it said Fatal something.

If youre a true sim fan, you will spend a dozen hours in the terrain editor before you even start playing :p

*raises hand*

I've spent almost 2 full evenings in the editor. I haven't even touched the default maps. The one city I've grown to about 25k I'm ready to abandon for a mountain city, as soon as I can get that map dialed in.

It's a sickness.

Great. Just turn the houses/apartments lights on at night and done (I make it sound easy).

There's a couple of buildings showing up at the workshop that are pretty cool (the potential to see real life food chains and stuff like that amuses me - I found a MacDonalds building lol) and it's only been three days. Can't fucking wait for all the stuff that people will create.

What's the most efficient road design for a downtown area? 2 lane one way into a 4 or 6 lane?
Just be sure to have access to all streets for firefighters, police, etc, I messed up a few streets because of my bad emergency buildings placement (some streets were one way and in a couple of cases the services had to drive around quite a while to be able to reach a specific apartment). But yea, it works pretty well other than that. I was focused on a good traffic flow and when it came to the time to place the services down I had forgotten on how I even fucking designed those streets.

Heigic

I'm having a similar problem. My commercial zones are saying there aren't enough goods due to the lack of industrial, but if I make industrial, I get not workers because everyone is too educated. Do I need to turn off some schools or something?

My whole city is a mess right now. My coal plants aren't getting materials for some reason even though they are opened to the road. I wish this game did a better job at telling you where things are going wrong.

If you have fully upgraded industrial buildings they will use educated workers as long as it's not specialized

Almighty

So GAF is there any reason to keep industry around and not just switch of office buildings when available? I ask because that is what I did and it seems like a no brainer. Not only does it cut way down on traffic, but also pollution. Only downside I can see is that you need a university up and running.

Grief.exe

Just be sure to have access to all streets for firefighters, police, etc, I messed up a few streets because of my bad emergency buildings placement (some streets were one way and in a couple of cases the services had to drive around quite a while to be able to reach a specific apartment). But yea, it works pretty well other than that. I was focused on a good traffic flow and when it came to the time to place the services down I had forgotten on how I even fucking designed those streets.

Maybe have a good bisecting point in thrle middle with some 4/6 lanes where you can place your services.

So GAF is there any reason to keep industry around and not just switch of office buildings when available? I ask because that is what I did and it seems like a no brainer. Not only does it cut way down on traffic, but also pollution. Only downside I can see is that you need a university up and running.

Hmm... That does make sense.

But I think something else might rely on what industry produces.

Then again, I've never zoned extra industry after I've got the office unlock, and I have no problems ever since. More like, the original industrial area experienced a mass abandonment because everyone got too smart to work. Haha!

Whelp, I guess my double roundabouts aren't as effective as I thought they were. Watching more closely, a lot of cars seem to be taking the long way around ever since I switched from 2 lanes to highways. I think it's because the pathfinding AI doesn't like switching over to slower roads unless it has to... maybe if I start using 2 highways in parallel?

Eh. I'm gonna have to restart anyway :p

Default industry is needed for the commercial zones, they get their goods from your industry if I'm not mistaken. I had cargo trains coming in as well as ships but as soon as I turned my goods industry into something else problems started to arise in the commercial areas (not enough goods to sell). Don't know if it was related to something else, but I don't think so.

There's a few things I want to try when I start the game back up but I already forgot what they were besides made a 3x8 park... Uhh is there a way to set parts and whatever so they can be turned however you want? Because one I made before only wants to sit by a road a couple ways, sometimes only in one direction even though there's room.

Also is there a way to turn off the view mode for a service for example like electric when dropping anything electricity related?
Are you on their forum/in contact with them?

I made a Reddit thread of ideas I'd have liked to see to show a feel of how the game ought to offer more management for mid-end stage gameplay.

There should always be a constant threat of using emergency funds. It's not like that though. You can easily stock millions without having anything to spend.

It bothers me so much that I've stopped playing, actually. I'll get back on it I'm sure, but I feel like I'm cheating if I'm not being held back by my budget/spending. I want to feel like an actual mayor here, look at graphs, plan ahead, invest, strategize...it's why I enjoy these sim games.

I signed up to the forum but I just tweeted their twitter about it.

Almighty

Hmm... That does make sense.

But I think something else might rely on what industry produces.

Then again, I've never zoned extra industry after I've got the office unlock, and I have no problems ever since. More like, the original industrial area experienced a mass abandonment because everyone got too smart to work. Haha!

That is my worry as well. Because right now my zero industry city is running just fine as far as I can tell(traffic problems aside). So I am afraid that I am missing something that will cause me problems. Though i could of made the switch more subtly like it sounds like you did. I was just so frustrated with the traffic problems in my industrial area that I dezoned it and rezoned it office space. Which gave my city 30sih percent unemployment for awhile until the office buildings were up and running. Now it is down to 7 percent and could be lower, but I am stuck trying to figure out where I can build without killing my already stressed and poorly planned out road network.

Default industry is needed for the commercial zones, they get their goods from your industry if I'm not mistaken. I had cargo trains coming in as well as ships but as soon as I turned my goods industry into something else problems started to arise in the commercial areas (not enough goods to sell). Don't know if it was related to something else, but I don't think so.

I am going to have to run the simulation for a little bit longer now to see if that happens to me before I do a clean wipe of my city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom