• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthalis

Banned
I've been putting off buying a PC for years but this game is pushing me close to dropping money on a PC. Problem is spending around £1k for a decentish PC and monitor..yeah.....

Are prices relaly that bad in the UK?

GTX 960 + mobo + Silverstone Raven mini ITX case + PSU + RAM + i5 = $600 here in the states, and you have somehting about the size of an xbox one, and that performs better than a PS4.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've been putting off buying a PC for years but this game is pushing me close to dropping money on a PC. Problem is spending around £1k for a decentish PC and monitor..yeah.....

I paid about €700 for my first PC back in 2008. I upgraded it this year for €200 to make it relevant this gen and now it dances barefoot around the PS4 with flower in its hair.

You only really need to spend huge amount of money on a PC if you always have to have the latest hardware, but you can do just fine only upgrading every few years.

Yeah, sorry. I looked it up to double-check and they are all dual core. I thought the entire I line was quad.
Edit: I would wait for some impressions from dual core users before plopping 20+ dollars down.

Yeah, I'll do that. Honestly as long as it runs at ~20 fps with a large city I'll be fine. Frame rate isn't anywhere near as important for city builders as something like an FPS since the camera angle is fixed most of the time.

tuxfool

Banned
my chief concern with it atm is that the cities all look a bit generic.

I don't really agree, but having said that, one has to bear in mind there are some limits to what a very small team can do.

AFAIK Colossal Order is something like 10-20 people (some of the art was outsourced and QA is handled by Paradox)

Lettuce

Are prices relaly that bad in the UK?

GTX 960 + mobo + Silverstone Raven mini ITX case + PSU + RAM + i5 = $600 here in the states, and you have somehting about the size of an xbox one, and that performs better than a PS4.

Nah you'd be able to get a very capable rig for around the £500-600 mark

Raven77

So this game doesnt have a day night cycle? Thats a huge issue for me...

I used to love how the city changed over time in Sim City (granted it had massive flaws). This isn't a deal breaker but it really sucks.

I used to love how the city changed over time in Sim City (granted it had massive flaws). This isn't a deal breaker but it really sucks.

They may at it later, but it will be cosmetic only, not tied to the underlying simulation.

Raven77

They may at it later, but it will be cosmetic only, not tied to the underlying simulation.

Extremely disappointing. I could see it getting very repetitive without a simulation of the day / night cycles of daily life. So will traffic always be exactly constant all day? Sim City had traffic rushes in the morning and evening, etc. didn't it?

Extremely disappointing. I could see it getting very repetitive without a simulation of the day / night cycles of daily life. So will traffic always be exactly constant all day? Sim City had traffic rushes in the morning and evening, etc. didn't it?

Not exactly constant, people leave/return to/from work at different times, to different areas. The industry produces exports/goods at different times, commercial needs those at different times and of course at different areas. The traffic rushes can happen but they happen "naturally" instead of some magic point in time.

The visual day/night cycle would be nice though.

SZips

Well, I'm ready for tomorrow:
seWybuj.jpg

... Now to go play it without having to be critical in the slightest.

Sevenfold

Everything in Simcity was false though. This is a trade off. Also the highest speed on the game slows down as the city increases in size. I guess it's necessary for the engine and I'm fine with it, but I think long drawn out nighttime would bug me.

Amzin

Modeling traffic after your average real world roads is a terrible model since real world roads are horribly inefficient at traffic usually :p

Saganator

I think I need to find a good video explaining how to manage traffic because frankly I don't know shit about it.

Watch some of Quill's videos if you have the time. Not the very first few, though, as they actually patched the traffic AI a few days ago. Some of the issues(traffic not using left lanes correctly) you see in his first videos don't exist anymore. The dude is a programmer, he's good at analyzing and breaking things down. He's not perfect, but he at least breaks down the traffic pretty well. I would start there.

Oh yeah, I afk'd while in the developer's stream. Just a bit ago, he says..

Henkka_art: Hi guys!
Henkka_art: it's about 9 o'clock Seattle time when Valve comes to work

Melon Husk

Electric cars and rooftop solar sound like good ideas for future edicts, don't you think?

Reduced traffic noise and and lower energy needs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah, I'm gonna miss it too but in reality I won't miss it that much. I thought about it when I heard there won't be a day/night cycle and in actuality I mostly played SC4 with the day/night cycle turned off. I usually only turned it on for screenshots and for sightseeing, but I always built stuff with it off.

So yeah, I can live without it just fine. CO has already said they'd like to add it later, just not for launch.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Shit, the i5 only has two logical cores? (My lack of knowledge about the intel product line was sad)

That puts it below the recommended specs too.
I suspect the game will still be playable though.

The Core-I7 i purchased years ago sure had legs, especially when you can clock it at 3.8

Kinthalis

Banned
Shit, the i5 only has two logical cores? (My lack of knowledge about the intel product line was sad)

The Core-I7 i purchased years ago sure had legs, especially when you can clock it at 3.8

The mobile verison does, but it supports multi-threading for up to 4 hardware threads.

The desktop version is a 4 core CPU.

The i3 desktop has 2, but the newest generaiton i3 also supprots hyper threading.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I don't know what page you are looking at, but this is the i5 2500K that I have, and it definitely has 4 cores to it:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Also, my GMG account has changed it's status. Where before my CSL entry had this next to it:

"The key for this game will become available when the game releases"

it now says THIS:

"No keys available for this game."

I don't like the sound of that..... O_O

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My page changed to that too, perhaps they are getting ready to populate their database with keys?

masteratt

My page changed to that too, perhaps they are getting ready to populate their database with keys?

Yes makes sense. Or as the system is putting keys in, they are being distributed. And distribution is going faster than inserting so system thinks there are no keys to distribute so gives that message.

Seeing as how this game blew up in popularity, it might be a while before everyone gets keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom