• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenfold

Definitely some bugs but I've seen so much awesome I don't care besides... SDK. GMG is an emailed key isn't it? I want to gift a copy and can't resist that VIP price for DE.

EDIT: Just seen the release time. Am cry.

DagsJT

I moved from PC gaming when I got a PS4 so this will be my first PC game in a LONG time.

I really enjoyed the latest Sim City up to a point but then the bugs irritated me so hoping this is better. The comments in here sound promising though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sounds like the traffic AI needs work. Don't want to be locked into building a certain way, I hate that. Think I'll wait for a couple patches first.

If you build poorly planned out infrastructure you'll run into traffic problems even with great AI, so at least keep that in mind as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Probably. But it would be neat as a high-end option/mod. For those of us with 4 or more cores and/or hyperthreading support, let us try to stress things. ;)

That would be neat. I wonder if they could have additional cores dedicated to pathfinding, so that if a person needs a route recalculation, it could engage the extra core to do that. So maybe if you have an 8 core system, you can have 4 more route recalculations per citizen? Or maybe it doesn't work that way at all hahaha

Kongor's city looks so damn good.

Like, when you play something like Sim City, you can see how the cities are statically drawn up: you see the hard angled roads, the little square property blocks, etc.

But in Skylines, things look so natural: you have all these curves, highways, stretches of land, etc. It looks like it was predesigned, just imagine the fun in starting a small city and having it grow like that Hngggg

Also what's the point of starting a new city or having multiple cities going? I can't imagine stopping myself from dealing with the first city I create, there's just sooo much rooommm.

XiaNaphryz

Also what's the point of starting a new city or having multiple cities going? I can't imagine stopping myself from dealing with the first city I create, there's just sooo much rooommm.

Terrain layout primarily. A desert like area with no bodies of water, or a coastal region, or something with a giant river, or a series of islands, etc...

vpance

If you build poorly planned out infrastructure you'll run into traffic problems even with great AI, so at least keep that in mind as well.

Oh no doubt. I just want to be able to build in a semi realistic way. I'll wait for some more impressions but the game def looks promising.

jwhit28

This has been some of the best pre-release advertising I've seen for a game. I realize something like this wouldn't work well with non-sandbox games, but for a week I've been making a list of things I see streamers mess up and how I want to do them. They make the game look really approachable, but still challenging too.

jordanw

Neo Member
Really want this but not sure if my laptop will run it... I was below the minimum recommended requirements for SimCity 2013 and that ran fine, but I'm also below the minimum for this so I'm hesitant to buy it.

I've got an 2.4ghz i5, 1GB GeForce 410M and 6GB RAM. Any guidance?

Acerac

Banned
I read two pages of this thread then purchased this game.

I had absolutely zero intentions of doing so previously.

=/

Stat!

Anyone know its possible to get Cities: skylines with a voucher on Greenmangaming? Giving me an error but it was possible a couple days ago!

Debating between GMG and Steam for purchase.

Terrain layout primarily. A desert like area with no bodies of water, or a coastal region, or something with a giant river, or a series of islands, etc...

Ah right! would be neat to play terrains like that. But still, once I start a city, I cant imagine giving it up :p

Bacon

=/

That's pretty much how it's gone for most of the people who've participated in this or the last thread. The word of mouth is so incredibly positive for this game.

jb1234

Looked through all of the game diaries. Everything looks pretty good but it's odd that air pollution doesn't seem to be represented. Transportation in particular is a huge contributor but the diaries indicate that noise pollution is a bigger issue with airports and private vehicles. Maybe I'm just missing further information.

Many of the early streamers didn't quite understand how things can slowly spiral out of control in terms of sewage/water pollution, inadequete health care coverage, overloaded crematoriums/cemeteries, and poor traffic management. That gif was from one of those streams I believe as someone was desperately trying to find short term solutions. Plopping down a bunch of crematoriums and cemeteries wasn't the answer, lol.

I think it was something like:

* He didn't notice the sewage output was near one of his water intakes.
* People were slowly getting sick due to polluted water source.
* Because of poor road layout he had, it was difficult for people to get to healthcare facilities
* People ended up dying, causing the hearses to go out into the traffic-filled streets to try and pick them up.
* The hearses couldn't pick up the dead fast enough, allowing disease to spread faster starting a feedback loop of more buildings filling up with sick and dead people, overloading the cemetery/crematorium capacities
* People got fed up with that and started leaving the city in droves
* Streamer finally notices huge population drop and tries to fix things in any way he can think of, lol

I'm going to bet that none of this is optional, no? Challenge accepted if that is the case - I think I probably could use something a bit more challenging.

That's pretty much how it's gone for most of the people who've participated in this or the last thread. The word of mouth is so incredibly positive for this game.

I'm frankly amazed. I remember when the game was first announced and it seemed like only a few of us cared. It's so great to see all these people excited now! The thirst for a new city sim to rule them all is real.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looked through all of the game diaries. Everything looks pretty good but it's odd that air pollution doesn't seem to be represented. Transportation in particular is a huge contributor but the diaries indicate that noise pollution is a bigger issue with airports and private vehicles. Maybe I'm just missing further information.

Ground pollution is the same as air. There's no wind simulation either. I guess for all intents and purposes, you can consider that as just ground pollution.

Shahadan

Imagine how many sales it would have gained if we had called the OT Sim City 5 !

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

=/

I just hope the hype train delivers more then derails :)

XiaNaphryz

Imagine how many sales it would have gained if we had called the OT Sim City 5 !

After the Maxis shutdown, more people thought it would be more respectful to not go with that. Prior to that though there was a lot more people who would have preferred that subtitle.

Klyka

Banned
Woah. What the hell happened? He was at like 390k last time I watched.

he saved and decided to feed his citzens poop water cause he wants to see what it's like to have hundreds of buildings abandoned and fly through the streets

Shahadan

If you want to watch what it looks like if a huge city turns into a ghost town, watch here http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor

The poop tsunami ten minutes ago was incredible

After the Maxis shutdown, more people thought it would be more respectful to not go with that. Prior to that though there was a lot more people who would have preferred that subtitle.

Yeah I know, though I kinda disagree with the sentiment. That title wasn't a "oooh buuurrrn" line to me, but rather the opposite. I'm glad we can still have a sim city, and skylines is definitely its successor and feels like a real sequel to sim city 4.
If someone showed me this game and told me it was called simcity 5 I could have been fooled, minus the disasters of course :p

_woLf

I know they said they want to add disasters eventually. I hope they do that quick or the mod tools are robust enough for modders to get that in.

Are people running this ok on laptops with dedicated graphics? I'd like to give it a go.

I'd wait until after the game is out and more people try it before jumping in. Most streamers with early access codes have at least decent PCs, and performance seems largely tied to population/city size. It'll probably be a couple of days before those with weaker laptops have a chance to build a big enough city to really test the limits of the low-end.

My guess is it won't be an overly pleasant experience, unless you have a particularly potent mobile CPU.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'll be happy to pay for some DLC for this.

You will be able to, expect a bunch of .99 to 4.99 DLC.
I'll probably end up buying anything of interest.

Check out Cities in Motion 1 and 2 for examples.

For those about to jump on the DLC hate train, keep in mind everybody who has played the game up to this point has done so without a single bit of DLC, and the game supports extensive modding.

I moved from PC gaming when I got a PS4 so this will be my first PC game in a LONG time.

I really enjoyed the latest Sim City up to a point but then the bugs irritated me so hoping this is better. The comments in here sound promising though.

Same here, can't wait to play this. Finally something that tops Sim City 4.

MUnited83

For you.
Hopefully a shitload of free DLC and not just 100 payed DLC packs.
? There will be patches and update with new content for free, of course, but there will also be a crapload of dlcs. Nothing wrong with that, its how Paradox manages to survive as a business. They do it the right way imo:

1- They deliver a playable, complete game on launch which will last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours.
2- Most of the dlcs are purely cosmetic and dont impact the enjoyment of the game at all.
3- the dlcs that aren't cosmetic are , in majority, akin to expansion packs that put a lot of great playable content and introduce a lot of new features and scenarios.

I'd wait until after the game is out and more people try it before jumping in. Most streamers with early access codes have at least decent PCs, and performance seems largely tied to population/city size. It'll probably be a couple of days before those with weaker laptops have a chance to build a big enough city to really test the limits of the low-end.

My guess is it won't be an overly pleasant experience, unless you have a particularly potent mobile CPU.

Do you think a Geforce 450, i3 processor, and 6 GB of ram be able to run this game okay (okay as in ~30fps) at medium/low settings with a decent population size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom