• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
...no region play? Cities in isolation just doesn't feel right these days. Will I live with that?

I'm also not quite sold on realistic water behaviour. Some things are meant to be kept simple in my opinion.

Um, you have seen the size of the cities in CSL, right? From what I've seen so far I won't be missing region play one bit, and I love the regions in SC4. It's almost like having a seamless region in CSL rather than separate cities.

And how could you not like the water effects in this game? You are like the only person I've heard with a negative response to the water so far.

...no region play? Cities in isolation just doesn't feel right these days. Will I live with that?

I'm also not quite sold on realistic water behaviour. Some things are meant to be kept simple in my opinion.

The plot size is big enough that you could potentially have several smaller cities connected by roads/rails/ferries. Especially if your machine can handle opening up the full 25 tile buildable space (100km²).

The "realistic" water only affects dam placement and where you can put water pumps / sewage treatment. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Can anyone speak to how "noob" friendly this game would be? I have never tried anything remotely in the genre, but I am eager to give this a shot, and am willing to watch massed tutorials, etc... if needed.

Strider

For some reason, I suddenly want ..walls?

Can someone mod that in? I just want to wall in certain parts of my city.

Yea I want this too. I want to make gated communities/neighborhoods and stuff.

Reposting this roundabout walkway above a roundabout street with a park in the middle from GSY Miguel for the first page because its just too awesome:
9O5F6RZ.png

So awesome.

Um, you have seen the size of the cities in CSL, right? From what I've seen so far I won't be missing region play one bit, and I love the regions in SC4. It's almost like having a seamless region in CSL rather than separate cities.

And how could you not like the water effects in this game? You are like the only person I've heard with a negative response to the water so far.

To be fair, you can make SimCity 4 regions that are larger than even the modded maximum city size in Skylines. But honestly, for me SC4 regions were usually a kludge to expand a single city's size, rather than a way to make a metropolitan region with multiple cities. I'd rather have Skylines' single city.

The plot size is big enough that you could potentially have several smaller cities connected by roads/rails/ferries. Especially if your machine can handle opening up the full 25 tile buildable space (100km²).

The "realistic" water only affects dam placement and where you can put water pumps / sewage treatment. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Sounds like I should be mostly set.

Having a massive amount of city space might feel really strange, though.

Does the game have a built-in, settable frame rate capper?

Grief.exe

Can anyone speak to how "noob" friendly this game would be? I have never tried anything remotely in the genre, but I am eager to give this a shot, and am willing to watch massed tutorials, etc... if needed.

We've seen countless streamers and Youtubers build fundamentally broken cities and get along just fine.

Does the game have a built-in, settable frame rate capper?

From the FAQ, it sounds like the game will default to border less windowed, which will force Windows to apply a triple-buffered, 60 fps vsync.

If you want abover or below that, you will have to opt for Fullscreen.

Rflagg

I want this, but my pc is barely above minimum requirements or right at them in the case of ram so I worry how bad it would look/run once I got a decently sized city. :(

From the FAQ, it sounds like the game will default to border less windowed, which will force Windows to apply a triple-buffered, 60 fps vsync.

If you want abover or below that, you will have to opt for Fullscreen.

That's not what I meant. I meant something that limits the frame rate to a set value, like 30 or 60, even if the screen refresh can go higher than the capped frame rate.

Noaloha

I've been reading around various message boards and I'm getting the distinct impression that this game is doing a remarkable job of enticing ex-PC gamers, folks who for whatever reason have stopped using their computer as a gaming platform, back into the fold.

KScorp

Deluxe version worth it?

The only in-game thing it gives you is a handful of landmarks (5 of them, I believe). Out of game, it gives you the original soundtrack and a digital art book.

So, it depends if you think that's worth ~$10.

Aaron D.

The standard edition is at GMG is part of a VIP sale for $21.

Anyone know how long this is good for? I'd like to at least see a couple reviews before diving in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been reading around various message boards and I'm getting the distinct impression that this game is doing a remarkable job of enticing ex-PC gamers, folks who for whatever reason have stopped using their computer as a gaming platform, back into the fold.

Part of that is probably that the kind of gameplay experience that Cities Skylines delivers is not really able to be replicated that well on a console with a handheld controller. You could do it in SNES SimCity, but this is a lot more complicated.

Amzin

Wow. Did he basically make a coastal highway that also functions as a seawall? That's awesome.

It looks like it's a dam with a road on top, rather than a road that doubles as a wall. Important distinction as far as versatility goes... and holding water back, I suppose.

bjaelke

The only in-game thing it gives you is a handful of landmarks (5 of them, I believe). Out of game, it gives you the original soundtrack and a digital art book.

So, it depends if you think that's worth ~$10.

OST is great. Went ahead and purchased the deluxe edition after listening to it.

Also means I have a spare copy to give away later today.

Grief.exe

It will be interesting to experiment with the water/dam mechanics.

Damming up your city in such a way that you create new land in a lake for example. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep.

Simcity always was a game that drew in non-gamers, much like The Sims or Minecraft does. The genre has always had a huge casual gamer audience. We just haven't had a game worth a damn in the genre since Simcity 4. I mean sure, other games like Banished and Tropico are Simcity-like games and are great, but they aren't true Simcity style games. Cities Skylines very assuredly is, and it directly targets the good old Simcity gamers who are still terribly hungry after the lackluster Simcity 5.

Yeah, this game will sell PC's for sure.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Damming up your city in such a way that you create new land in a lake for example. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Can you then flood that new land with sewage if you let the system drain there? ;)

With a properly designed map, you could probably have the bulk of the population below sea-level once you've made enough to ring the city in dams.

For me, I was never really one for caring about prettier graphics, so the enticing thing about PC gaming has always been about genres that I could only play on PC. Ever since the RTS, Sim building and point and click genre dried up I have really missed it. I just hope that this sells well enough to ensure the future of this franchise because I need city builders in my life.

Though it would look mighty artificial, you could design a height-map like this to make a huge, walled-off city below sea level. I believe the water naturally drains down once it's cut-off from the water "source".

5xpXTjL.jpg

I'm not sure how much farther down the rabbit hole goes without mods ;)

That's kind of me. I aborted my gaming PC build a few years ago due to an unexpected financial emergency (I essentially had a gaming PC sans video card), and never got around to finishing it, and I just bought a used GTX 660 to play this. This is probably the most expensive video game I've ever bought. ;)

That's kind of me. I aborted my gaming PC build a few years ago due to an unexpected financial emergency (I essentially had a gaming PC sans video card), and never got around to finishing it, and I just bought a used GTX 660 to play this. This is probably the most expensive video game I've ever bought. ;)

I bought a new windows just for this.

No no. It's just the Speed 2 mod.

I see what you did there.

Human_me

OK this thread has convinced me in buying this.

Shame theres no pre-load though, I know its only 3gb download size but I want it now!

The thread title got me confused. What is Cities XL and which games is the one GAF was hyped about the last weeks? Am i in the right thread?

Chariot

The thread title got me confused. What is Cities XL and which games is the one GAF was hyped about the last weeks? Am i in the right thread?
Cites XL is another city builder. The note is just there because some people confuse the two games. SteamGAF and other locations are hyped for this game. Cities: Skylines, from the developers of Cities in Motion under Paradox.

Shaldome

Can you then flood that new land with sewage if you let the system drain there? ;)

A_Spec (I actually only know his twitter handle) did this in the Paradox Twitch stream. He Build two damns, turned them off and then used water pumps to empty the space between them. Afterwards he placed sewage output there to build his very own poop lake.

Amzin

Is there somewhere I can listen to or at least sample the soundtrack? People keep mentioning it but I can't find it anywhere. I want to know if I want the deluxe edition or not :p

Dezzy

Amazing how many hotdog and donut trucks there are. In some shots, I think they even outnumber normal cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom