• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Div3x

Neo Member
Is the deluxe edition worth getting? I assume that'll be the only way to get those landmarks?

You get those extra buildings, the official soundtrack and a digital artbook when buying the DE. not much and you will probably be able to buy those buildings as dlc in a few weeks so it's up to you if all that is worth the few extra dollars.

mnannola

This looks to be the first game I will pay full price for in a long time. The simulation and traffic aspects look really fleshed out, and the modding support will hopefully add tons of content over the next year or so. Can't wait.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As someone who enjoyed his time with Simcity, I think I will enjoy even more time with this game lol. This sounds fantastic.

I remember your NeoTokyo city, and how city connections were fucked because of the shitty online and it would not interact with my city at all.

Good times.

Branson

As my first SimCity game, the 2013 release was something I did actualy enjoy a lot. I guess i wasn't just as worried about the shortcomings as most other veterans. I'm excited about this though since it seems like what people wanted out of that game and I guess thats good. I'll pick it up when I see some impressions or clear more games off of my backlog.

Saganator

Aw man, I saw the OT and thought it was released a day early or something. I am SO hyped for this game. Got tomorrow and the next day off. Gonna be a good couple of days.

This is my first pre-order on GMG. How quick are they with getting keys out on release?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Importing/using modded buildings and such disable achievements?

As far as I am aware, every mod disables achievements (because the modded in buildings could also have super powers).

Div3x

Neo Member
does anyone know if it would be possible to export simcity models and import them in cities : skylines ?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If only there was a DRM free edition of this game :(
You hear me, Paradox? Make it happen.

Paradox developed games are DRM-free on Steam once installed/activated. Not sure about Paradox-published titles though...I'm guessing they leave the decision up to the developer.
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

This is a list of games and software available on Steam that do not use any third party DRM (e.g GFWL, Uplay, ...) or the Steamworks CEG ("Custom Executable Generation") component, making them effectively Launcher-free once installed. This means that you can copy the game folder anywhere you want and launch the .exe/.sh directly without being online or having Steam or a third party software running.

Every Paradox Development Studio game is DRM-free and even some they publish (Paradox Interactive).

Paradox stated many times their developed games are and will be DRM-free like this one post or by their CEO.

The first Cities in Motion title is on the list though. If anyone has an early copy and wants to test this, all they would need to do is try to launch the game without having Steam launched.

Why would you dodge Steam Workshop support?

You can use Steamworks and still not support the DRM component.

Add this to the OP, height map importing tool called "Terrain Party".

Are we aware yet of how well this works? I tried doing a height map of the middle of Tokyo and there's a lot of bright spots for the skyscrapers, which looks like they will be mapped as mountains. I think you might need to do quite a bit of post-work when you import the map.

Edit: See below
AXDfuDp.png

Are we aware yet of how well this works? I tried doing a height map of the middle of Tokyo and there's a lot of bright spots for the skyscrapers, which looks like they will be mapped as mountains. I think you might need to do quite a bit of post-work when you import the map.

Hmm, if the maps need a lot of post work then maybe it's not as great as I thought, probably still worth mentioning though?

Sorry about that, I haven't got the chance yet to test the maps that I "made" with it, seems like I've been caught by the hype train in this regard.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I remember your NeoTokyo city, and how city connections were fucked because of the shitty online and it would not interact with my city at all.

Good times.

That was so frustrating :mad:

The only thing I could export from the city was my high quality criminals. We had quite a lot of them in Neo-Tokyo. It is a simulation, after all lol

Hmm, if the maps need a lot of post work then maybe it's not as great as I thought, probably still worth mentioning though?

Sorry, I haven't got the chance yet to test the maps that I "made" with it, seems like I've been caught by the hype train in this regard.

I think they're just based on publicly available radar satellite acquisitions that have been put through a smoothing algorithm. I did another map of my hometown and it's missing a bunch of the little islands that give its lakes a lot of character.

There are probably better sources for terrain maps (or radar sat maps) but they would probably cost $$$$.

Shaldome

Nice OT.

From the list of known issues :

On Windows the default fullscreen mode is borderless window which means that some third-party features such as G-Sync don't activate. You can start the game in exclusive fullscreen mode if you force it to use DirectX9 instead of DirectX11 by adding -force-d3d9 as a launch parameter. However, there seems to be problems with 4K resolution when using DirectX9.

Booooh! But I think I will survive until its fixed. Now just one more episode of a_spec on the Paradox Twitch channel and when I get home tomorrow it is time to play.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I get why multiplayer wasn't part of the scope of this project, but I do hope we get it in a sequel or even a patch... SimCity has been trying to get that right since 2000's Network Edition and I love the idea.

This game doesn't have regions, right? So it would take some heavy mechanical adjustments to get multiplayer to even work?

No regions, but the single playable area of a city is much larger than even simcity 4.

Raven77

My God, I completely forgot this came out tomorrow.

Do you guys think its worth getting the deluxe edition? I assume the amount of content coming out of the workshop will be pretty numerous.

CTLance

It was nice knowing y'alls. I shall spend the rest of my life unintentionally making life a living hell for my citizens.

I think they're just based on publicly available radar satellite acquisitions that have been put through a smoothing algorithm. I did another map of my hometown and it's missing a bunch of the little islands that give its lakes a lot of character.

There are probably better sources for terrain maps (or radar sat maps) but they would probably cost $$$$.

We (in Finland) are lucky to have a goverment operated/owned (I guess?) organisation that offers same kind of maps for free so if the TP tool isn't good enough, I'll have a backup for the maps.

Link if anyone is intrested.

Shaldome

Anyone else plan on using this for their first city? NYC recreaiton here I come!

I think I will first use one of the existing maps to get a feel for the game before I try something ambitious. So after something like three or four wasted cities.

Mii

Banned
Here's one going over cims using public transports: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_cities_skylines_commuting-34219_en.html

If you set it up properly, cims will take different transit options to get to their destinations (take one bus line, transfer to another one, then the metro, etc):

This was fantastic, thank you for this. I'm amazed more streamers haven't made use of those map views. I'm going to spend much of my time working on public transit and see if I can focus on getting the roads to mostly only be used for service, delivery, and industrial trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom