• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Thorgal

Though it is still in its early stages i thought i show of my city .

First we have what will be the beating hart of the city : The massive 5-way Interchange.

cities2016-02-2104-02mmudf.jpg

the entrance way into the city is designed to make traffic break up ASAP to which side they want to go instead of having it clogging up one main entrance .

One side of the interchange has a bridge that leads to the garbage yard .

Central park .
Bus Depot is under construction :

day and night view of the current city :

And as last : THE FUTURE

Berordn

So the negative reviews isn't something like AoM Chinese tier?

It's more that this is less of an integral expansion like After Dark was, and doesn't bring too many ideas to existing cities. Unlike AoM nothing really seems amateur hour, just probably not what people expected going into it.

But that's just me, I like what it adds so far.

Every city I've made so far has been with no mods. Just started a game with all the mods I've downloaded enabled and I almost don't no what to do. Now, I have too much freedom, it's weird.

The Argus

Are there any mods yet that bring snow map features to existing maps? $13 is nothing but I really don't want to start all over again like I did with After Dark. I love my lil' city of Pittyburger.

Ranger X

Are you guys having a hard time making money since Snowfall?

I just can't have a green income right now. I keep all the different budget sliders at the minimum they can be in order to cover the needs. I disabled by bus lines by night. I disabled city policies that costs too much. My taxes are at the maximum they can support without people whining. I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

spiritfox

Are there any mods yet that bring snow map features to existing maps? $13 is nothing but I really don't want to start all over again like I did with After Dark. I love my lil' city of Pittyburger.

There's Bloodypenguin's Save Games Environment Changer. Look it up in the Workshop.

Kabouter

I just can't have a green income right now. I keep all the different budget sliders at the minimum they can be in order to cover the needs. I disabled by bus lines by night. I disabled city policies that costs too much. My taxes are at the maximum they can support without people whining. I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

Only early on really, with electricity consumption being quite a lot higher in snowy environments. When I get heat provision, it's usually fine.

SmartBase

I also found the beginning a bit tricky with heating and power management.

Ranger X

I really wonder what I am doing wrong. I mean, everybody is heated and with electricity, both goes on the electricity budget for as long as you don't have a geothermal base no?

Because right now I am not producing a inch too much electricity for nothing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ever since installing snowfall i seem to have a massive problem with getting goods to commercial buildings. i assume it's some kind of mod conflict, but half of the commercial buildings in my city seem to be getting no goods at all :[

Question for those who have been playing more.

Do the hot water pipes replace water pipes? Like if I run hot water pipes to my downtown area, I don't also need to run standard water pipes to them? Can I just run normal water pipes off of those to the rest of the areas that won't be getting the hot water?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Question for those who have been playing more.

Do the hot water pipes replace water pipes? Like if I run hot water pipes to my downtown area, I don't also need to run standard water pipes to them? Can I just run normal water pipes off of those to the rest of the areas that won't be getting the hot water?

Hot water pipes are an upgrade to standard water pipes, so if you place hot water pipes you also cover water and sewer (as long as they are connected to such buildings), thus you can connect only water pipes from these hot water pipes if you don't want some areas to use hot water.

Also, as they are upgrades, you can upgrade existing standard water pipes to hot water pipes without buldozing and replacing.

If I want to jump in right now. Do you guys recommend the full package including both DLC's or should I just stick to the main game first?

e90Mark

If I want to jump in right now. Do you guys recommend the full package including both DLC's or should I just stick to the main game first?

I think it's probably better to just get everything together. The Deluxe edition isn't worth it for a couple "exclusive" buildings, IMO, but I think the DLCs add some good things to the base game without any mods.

Hot water pipes are an upgrade to standard water pipes, so if you place hot water pipes you also cover water and sewer (as long as they are connected to such buildings), thus you can connect only water pipes from these hot water pipes if you don't want some areas to use hot water.

Also, as they are upgrades, you can upgrade existing standard water pipes to hot water pipes without buldozing and replacing.

That makes sense. I had walked away from the game for a few months (and the last time I was playing was with unlimited money for fun) and it was quite a bit to come back to having not followed any of the coverage.

I am going back in vanilla for awhile to play with the new mechanics.

Finally got this game. I'm working on a Hyrule map. So far I've put in Lake Hylia, Gerudo Canyon, and Zora's River. The River was especially tough, but I managed to get it to basically match the actual map.

US6Lvkh.png

Tuck

Not sure if anyone posted this, but heres in interesting article about how city building sims compare with actual urban planning.

Basically, the game relies around zoning and cars, because thats how we build cities now. But most downtown cores were built before this time, and thats why they're so much more dense and interesting.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Am I doing something wrong with these Traffic managers? I have tried two of them so far, and for both of them, I would change the lane (say, only make right turns) and the AI ignores it (will go straight and also make right turns, etc).

Ranger X

Am I doing something wrong with these Traffic managers? I have tried two of them so far, and for both of them, I would change the lane (say, only make right turns) and the AI ignores it (will go straight and also make right turns, etc).

Well, are those mods updated to Snowfall version??

spiritfox

You don't need so many harbors. The AI should go for the most direct one so if the other harbors are better they'll just use those.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I went through all my mods last night and cleaned out ones I didn't need anymore and just cherry picked ones I want and added some new ones but one of them is conflicting with the newest update. I thought it was Traffic++ because its page on the Workshop said it was broken, but when I disabled it I kept getting the same error on a new city. So I guess I need to do some research and figure out which one it is.

*sigh*

The error I get now is:
A Mod caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred.
at LoadingWrapper.OnLevelLoaded (UpdateMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
ModException: A Mod caused an error

Also:
Method not found: 'NetSegment.GetLeftAndRightLanes'. [System.MissingMethodException]

Details:
No details
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'NetSegment.GetLeftAndRightLanes'.
at CSL_Traffic.CustomPathFind.PathFindImplementation (UInt32 unit, .PathUnit& data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CSL_Traffic.CustomPathFind.PathFindThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Why can't it tell me which one it is? Geeze.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, but I had disabled Traffic++. Still got error. And starting a new map takes so long it's making this unbearable.

Edit: Disabling all traffic related Mods removes the second error, but I still get the first on load. So something else I have is broken.

Ugh. I guess I'll go through everything one by one.

Edit: Great, now I get this error when loading up the game (Not a city) but once again no indication of which damn mod is doing it:
A Mod caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExportedTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ColossalFramework.Plugins.PluginManager+PluginInfo.GetInstances[IUserMod] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContentManagerPanel.RefreshPlugins () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
ModException: A Mod caused an error
Which now makes it harder because instead of turning on a mod, starting a map and exiting a map and turning on another mod, I now have to turn on a mod and quit the program then relaunch to see what is causing this. Now I'm back to square one with no mods enabled anymore.

spiritfox

The very first! CO word of the week #1 - 9/2016

Hi everyone! I'm Mariina or better known here on the forum as co_martsu. I am the ceo of Colossal Order, the developer of Cities: Skylines. We work together with our publisher Paradox Interactive to bringing you the best city builder ever made and the quest toward that goal continues.

Big part of developing the game further is communication with the players and the community. We have been active in reading the feedback but haven't had as much time to comment as we would have hoped for. Therefore the idea is that I will be writing an update on a semiregular basis on what Colossal Order is up to so that you players can hear first hand what is going on in the development of Cities: Skylines.
Disclaimer: Some things are secret and I will try not to get assassinated by the Paradox marketing department so we'll keep this strictly to the points I'm allowed to talk about. I understand you probably don't value my life as much as I do, but we'll make this work, I'm sure!

It has been almost a year from the release of Cities: Skylines and we have since released tunnels and European buildings as a free update and After Dark and Snowfall expansions. The amount of sold copies, amount of players and especially the amount of requests caught us off guard last year and we have had to regroup to handle the new pressure set for us. I'm hoping opening the development side to the community can help us work together in making Cities: Skylines an even better game!

But that's enough introduction so let's get down to it. We are going through the feedback we have received for Snowfall in relation to the current expansion plans and in retrospect having two very visually oriented expansions right after each other might have worked better with a more gameplay focused expansion in between. We will take a small break on the new content and therefore during the spring Colossal will focus on bringing a couple of tools to the game as well as bugfixing, before starting a new expansion later this year.

That's why our dear community manager Escher from Paradox has been asking you, the community, to participate in discussions about what you would like to see fixed in Cities: Skylines. These requests will be ranked in three categories: Yes, maybe and no. We have a list of things we have wanted to fix in the game and will look forward to getting the feedback to seeing if we are at all on the same page. Issues that both the community and us developers find important are prioritized higher, but all issues and requests in the yes and maybe categories will be added to the wishlist. The wishlist is something that guides us not only in the prioritizing improvements but also affects the content in future expansions. I'm very much looking forward to getting the summary from Escher so we can get our hands dirty on making sure the wishlist represents not only our vision for the game but the community's feeling as well.

This week the team at Colossal Order is fixing issues for a quick patch. The patch will go through the QA before release and we'll keep you updated on when it is ready to go live. The most critical issue is to fix the shadows on Mac and Linux when the weather is in affect. We are tweaking the specular on the cliffs when it's raining, making sure the poor pedestrians aren't stuck between parks or unique buildings and gravel roads and adding the tram trailers to the asset editor. The trees looking weird after Snowfall update are also fixed now.

So that's pretty much it for this time and we're looking forward to getting that patch your way as soon as possible! And please let me know what you think, how often would you like to hear from us? Do you have anything specific in mind you would like me to write about?

Cheers,
Mariina

samn

Too late for me really, I've already lost faith in this game. It just doesn't deliver compelling gameplay. It's fine as a 'paint whatever city you want and it make it look nice' sandbox but that's not what I ever wanted out of this genre.

spiritfox

Too late for me really, I've already lost faith in this game. It just doesn't deliver compelling gameplay. It's fine as a 'paint whatever city you want and it make it look nice' sandbox but that's not what I ever wanted out of this genre.

Well, they have the base set up, so it's not that hard for them to make a more complex management expansion. Or maybe for Cities Skylines 2.

Jintor

yeah at this point i'd rather wait for C:S2 than buy more expansions. They need to... I dunno, 'fix' the underlying game or make it more satisfying at this point, or... well, I don't know really, but just layering on top of CS1 ain't going to do it.

It's got SimCity's crown locked up though, that's for sure.

RayStorm

The problem with C:S for me is, that it's basically SC4, which I already played without adding that much to it while being worse to control (as in physical control via mouse/keyboard) than SC4 or SC2013 to have a more comparable game. As such it is a game I really want to like but sadly can't play. But what I more or less mean to say is: It's time for a new approach to city builders, that does not follow the SC model but maybe goes for a more realistic way of how actual city planning works, that tackles issues like traffic/pollution in a different way than is done now. Because as okay as the many individual cars in C:S are, their traffic algorithm as to what lane they choose leaves a bit to be desired. Also I would certainly prefer to have pre-built challenges/scenarios/cities and to improve them, than having to start from scratch on empty land (but not really empty since there's always the outside highway connection). Or if I had to start from empty I would like a more historic approach to how cities came to be, but then again this might be a vastly different scope and would probably include a bit of Civilization and going through the ages kind of thing as well. E.g. starting in medieval times as a loose agglomeration of farmers and fields around a marketplace and then growing that through the ages with new technologies giving way to a different way of living. I want a more "dynamic" way of building my city. As of now I pretty much plan my road layout and that's it, I don't like that. I need to be forced to have more adaptability. But every SimCity (-like game) has kind of failed me on that so far for the most part.

So there's two kind of different things I would like my city building game(s) to be:
1) The challenge based one, that's pretty much like the first Cities in Motion but with the scope of city planning instead of (micro)managing a transportation business
2) Grand scale, dynamic growth with new challenges that pop up due to a changing nature of the game/simulations core habits (By way of new technologies and lifestyle changes of the sims)

Jintor

I wonder if the problem with a systems oriented approach is that end up with substantially similar cities.

I still think Banished was my favourite city-builder in recent memory but it doesn't go much further than 'village' and you end up with fairly similar places.

Systems based approaches tend not to scale up very well is another problem I feel.

I also kind of want a new transport tycoon, thanks

samn

yeah at this point i'd rather wait for C:S2 than buy more expansions. They need to... I dunno, 'fix' the underlying game or make it more satisfying at this point, or... well, I don't know really, but just layering on top of CS1 ain't going to do it.

It's got SimCity's crown locked up though, that's for sure.

I actually found SC13 to be more satisfying from a gameplay perspective. It pushes back at the player in a way that CSS doesn't even try.

Jintor

I actually found SC13 to be more satisfying from a gameplay perspective. It pushes back at the player in a way that CSS doesn't even try.

yeah but it's so limited... ugh.

Banished had that perfect push/pull where you'd gain ground which would cause a disaster which you'd recover from for a little stability which would cause another disaster... but, of course, it just didn't have the polish and content to last more than a few hours. (Good enough for what it was, of course, but still)

Crispy75

Or if I had to start from empty I would like a more historic approach to how cities came to be, but then again this might be a vastly different scope and would probably include a bit of Civilization and going through the ages kind of thing as well. E.g. starting in medieval times as a loose agglomeration of farmers and fields around a marketplace and then growing that through the ages with new technologies giving way to a different way of living. I want a more "dynamic" way of building my city.

This is my dream too, but can you imagine the amount of content that would be needed?

I think you'd have to accept an abstracted art style for this to be possible with the sort of budgets available for city builders.

(Or an amazing procedural building system)

Patch is out.

Community Announcements - [Pdx] Escher
Hi all!

We have another bunch of fixes landing shortly, please see below for the run-down!

Fixed: Shadows not displaying when dynamic weather is enabled on Mac and Linux.

Fixed: The light reflection on roads and cliffs, caused by rain during daytime, are too shiny.

Fixed: Pedestrians get stuck between park or unique building and gravel road.

Fixed: Pedestrians get stuck between pavement path and road with bike lanes.

Fixed: Raised train tracks in asset editor not editable after reloading it in editor.

Fixed: 'Distance too short!' warning when building short road curves.

Fixed: Cyclists get annihilated when changing from bicycle path to bicycle lane.

Fixed: Selecting trailers for trams doesn't work in Asset Editor.

Fixed: Highway slope props overlap with tunnel walls.

Fixed: Long bikepaths are partially missing lampposts.

Fixed: Levelcrossing with highway has gravel instead of pavement.

Improved: Texture compression time for certain textures in editors
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=255710

spiritfox

This is my dream too, but can you imagine the amount of content that would be needed?

I think you'd have to accept an abstracted art style for this to be possible with the sort of budgets available for city builders.

(Or an amazing procedural building system)

Citybound has a lot of that in its concept. But right now it's still stuck in development limbo.

Crispy75

Citybound has a lot of that in its concept. But right now it's still stuck in development limbo.

Yeah citybound has promise. Currently undergoing a rewrite from JS to C++ (I coulda told him so!) but I like the pared-back graphics and realistic approach.

jtb

Banned
Have the expansions improved the mass transit in the game? Even simple things like not having to build all metros on the same level... I fucking love the Cities in Motion games and while I'm not expecting that level of depth (though they honestly should just port as much of that shit over as possible), I'm curious to see if it's improved at all, especially compared to the ridiculously fun traffic aspect of the game.

Top Bottom