• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
my new MacBook Pro might not be able to run this but I have not been able to find it in the apps store where I have a gift certificate

anyplace with some good deals for this?
My 2013 MacBook Pro runs it fine. Though the game speed slows down as your city grows but that happens on all computers due to Unity being shit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
thanks I'll get a copy soon

are all mods supported for Mac?
I'd assume so. It's just Unity. I don't know of any that even have the ability to do Windows only stuff.

Remember that it runs, but it can feel slow. Unity isn't all that optimized and the game has to deal with a lot of stuff. Starting out a city will have things running so smoothly and quickly, but you might have to lower quality later on when your city gets big enough.

I'd assume so. It's just Unity. I don't know of any that even have the ability to do Windows only stuff.

Remember that it runs, but it can feel slow. Unity isn't all that optimized and the game has to deal with a lot of stuff. Starting out a city will have things running so smoothly and quickly, but you might have to lower quality later on when your city gets big enough.

thanks just got it on Steam for 75% off downloading

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep, it looks great and they've done a very nice job with it, but I just don't want it at all. I never played with disasters turned on in any Sim City game. I mean now and then I'd blow my city up just for fun, but then I'd just reload afterwards to undo everything and keep building my city. I simply have no interest in playing around and through random disasters that destroy my work, and I'm certainly not going to spend money for a feature that I only use once in a blue moon for fun but then undo it all anyway. It's just not worth the money for me.

For these same reasons I've not bought the Snowfall expansion yet, I'd much rather they would spend the dev time adding and fleshing out core features of the game which impact regular city building gameplay. For example, adding stuff like:

- more detailed train mechanics, allowing train yards and all kinds of stuff
- boat traffic in the waters from marinas and commercial water businesses or parks
- official beaches and related content

Ah well, the game is still fantastic, at least I'm saving my money on the DLC...

I played like 16 hours without going to sleep last night just finished up. Learning the controls little by little my first city is a mess. I'll have to create a new one when I learn how to navigate everything.

Jintor

in some ways i like the mod based workshop approach to games in that hell yeah it lets a lot of modders easily plug and play their shit

but every time i load up cities skyline it feels like the thing is just creaking and about to burst and i've ruined my own game by throwing the aesthetics all over the shop sometimes, I can't be bothered figuring out how to tweak every single setting so that stuff just works instead of having to assign districts to make sure familymarts don't pop up in my american suburbia, etc, etc...

i like mass modding conceptually but actually playing it is like, damn, this thing is just not consistent anymore and also is even buggier than normal

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The mod system is a bit flakey because you never know what mod is causing the problems. Especially if you have a lot of them. Suddenly it's really difficult to find out why your city isn't working anymore. They need better checks and more specific error messages.

Scoops

Banned
Picked up the base game on Steam last night for $7.xx. Huge fan of city building games (I'm in school for Urban Planning) and I just got a new computer that can run it.

After playing for two hours and getting my city up to 5,000 or so people it's soooo good. Easily the best city builder I've played since Sim City 3000. I've been playing with the unlimited money mod because I'm interested more in just design as opposed to being challenged in the money sense.

Going to pick up some of the expansions now, which I almost never do for games.

Scoops

Banned
Picked up the base game on Steam last night for $7.xx. Huge fan of city building games (I'm in school for Urban Planning) and I just got a new computer that can run it.

After playing for two hours and getting my city up to 5,000 or so people it's soooo good. Easily the best city builder I've played since Sim City 3000. I've been playing with the unlimited money mod because I'm interested more in just design as opposed to being challenged in the money sense.

Going to pick up some of the expansions now, which I almost never do for games.

Update: Picked up Snowfall and After Dark

can someone talk me through the map editor save?

I created a flat land with heavy resources I just wanted to use a map I created for a new city but I can't seem to find the map when I click create new city button.

on Mac not sure if that matters
edit: nevermind found it

Copons

If you're anything like me, chances are that sometimes, when you want to play C:S, you just don't because of the crazy loading times of GBs of assets.

Well, apparently not anymore!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=833779378

I've yet to try this, but pretty much every single comment I've read swears of ~10x* reduced asset loading times - which means that the game still has to (slowly) load the simulation, but for heavy mods users, this is huge.

clearly I have no idea of how percentages work

RS4-

Random question, anyway to get a custom resolution to run?

For whatever reason, MMC doesn't work for me, neither does the command line in launch options. It'll actually have the right window size upon start up, but as soon as it loads the main menu and the game, it's back to 16:9.

Trying to get this running in 21:9

Copons

Oh shit sorry, I should've mentioned that I'm using a 43" 4k tv, just wanted to run the game in ultra wide windowed lol. Kinda prefer it over full screen 4k, easier on the GPU.

Can't check it ATM and I'm likely remembering wrong, but isn't C:S already running borderless windowed by default when you select fullscreen?

RS4-

Have you tried playing it in 4K and lowering the render resolution with Dynamic Resolution ?

Can't check it ATM and I'm likely remembering wrong, but isn't C:S already running borderless windowed by default when you select fullscreen?

I got it working, I initially tried MMC but it was hard getting the UI to line up because I had to constantly edit the file, load the game, find out its wrong, quit, edit, repeat.

Instead I had to use a hex editor and go through one of the .cgs files and change the values for the resolution lol.

So, yeah, sorry for the shit explanation and reasoning in previous posts. I'm using a 43" 16:9 tv; I couldn't force a custom resolution (3440x1440, 3840x1620) and even if I could, I'd lose the rest of the screen real estate, but natively play C:S in 21:9.
That's why I tried to find a way to get the game itself to run at that resolution in borderless/windowed instead of either doing it in 1080/1440/2160. The latter taking up the whole screen.

Anyway, yesterday the game would crash when loading a city or even trying to start a new one. Would load up fine if I disabled the workshop; ended up deleting all the mods and I'm back to close to vanilla. Only got Road United Core+ w/the US one, Fine Road Tool, Traffic Manager PE, and Sharp Junction Angles.

Any other suggestions? The cosmetic stuff I'll look for. I think I'm just checking out QoL things.

spiritfox

I got it working, I initially tried MMC but it was hard getting the UI to line up because I had to constantly edit the file, load the game, find out its wrong, quit, edit, repeat.

Instead I had to use a hex editor and go through one of the .cgs files and change the values for the resolution lol.

So, yeah, sorry for the shit explanation and reasoning in previous posts. I'm using a 43" 16:9 tv; I couldn't force a custom resolution (3440x1440, 3840x1620) and even if I could, I'd lose the rest of the screen real estate, but natively play C:S in 21:9.
That's why I tried to find a way to get the game itself to run at that resolution in borderless/windowed instead of either doing it in 1080/1440/2160. The latter taking up the whole screen.

Anyway, yesterday the game would crash when loading a city or even trying to start a new one. Would load up fine if I disabled the workshop; ended up deleting all the mods and I'm back to close to vanilla. Only got Road United Core+ w/the US one, Fine Road Tool, Traffic Manager PE, and Sharp Junction Angles.

Any other suggestions? The cosmetic stuff I'll look for. I think I'm just checking out QoL things.

Try using Less Steam for your crashing issues. Also, Network Extensions and Metro Overhaul adds a lot of transportation options to the game.

Saganator

I highly recommend getting a mod called Loading Screen Mod. It shows details on what is actually loading when starting a game as well as some launching options. It helps a lot identifying mods that aren't loading properly. Must have mod if you use a more than a few mods!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I got an email today from Paradox about the next Cities Skylines expansion: Mass Transit:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities...il&utm_term=0_6b1b68c4d1-693e99dc40-149321665

It honestly sounds pretty awesome:

Mass Transit is the latest expansion for Cities: Skylines, the award-winning city-building game, and it brings several new systems into play to help citizens traverse their towns in speed and style. Commuters can now get around on the water, up high mountain peaks, and even through the sky thanks to the addition of ferries, monorails, cable cars, and blimps to the game. Along with new transit service buildings, mass transit hubs where lines can exchange passengers, new scenarios, new landmarks, and new road types, urban planners now have more options than ever to add unique style and personality to their growing cities.

Feature List
• Sick Transit, Glorious Money: Add a wealth of new transit options to your city, and add wealth to your city's income! Let your citizens get across town in ferries, blimps, cable cars, and monorails!
• Orderly Hub, Bub: New mass transit hubs can bring all of your services together, letting citizens change rail lines in one building, or hop from the bus onto the ferry, or even find their way through a sprawling monorail-train- metro station.
• Become a Roads Scholar: Explore a set of new challenge scenarios focused on solving traffic problems and adding new transit systems. New road types, bridges and canals adds variety to your city, and new ways to solve its challenges. Become an expert in traffic flow, and then use that knowledge to improve your city!
• New Hats for Chirper: NEW. HATS. FOR CHIRPER. (And also new unique buildings, policies and achievements. But HATS!)

spiritfox

Ferries and cable cars are cool.

Per usual, the new expansion will arrive together with a free update to the base game upon release. This free update adds mod-inspired features to traffic management, such as an extended public transport budget, emergency vehicle overtaking and more road features. The patch will also include the much-requested ability to name roads.

Best part of the update.

Pachael

Always liked transit expansions, though it's starting to look like a very organic Cities in Motion with more City these days.

Vlightray

Haven't played this for a year started it up yesterday and deleted all my mods and tried the vanilla game from fresh wow all the updates they have done are amazing.

The first night day cycle that I saw was a real treat. The European maps are great looking and still so much fun.

Really is this gens Simcity 3000.

my new MacBook Pro might not be able to run this but I have not been able to find it in the apps store where I have a gift certificate

anyplace with some good deals for this?

it should run fine.

My 2011 Macbook Pro 15" could run the game on lower settings. My 2011 13" MBP cannot load cities which is a bummer since my 15" model broke.

Now I'm looking into getting a new laptop. Don't know yet if I'm sticking with Mac. What kind of specs do I need to get this game running fine at medium settings?

How are people playing this with a mac Book Pro? I have a 2015 15 inch but it only has intel integrated HD graphics. Would that be able to run it effectively?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The new transit features look nice. Finally, something that I give a shit about! lol

This might be the first DLC I buy since After Dark.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't bought any of the expansions I don't think. Only the free updates that came along with them. Actually I can't remember if I bought After Dark. I know I didn't buy the snowfall one. I just can't justify $15 each for what they give us. Mostly stuff I don't really need.

I haven't even played it in a long time anyway. Last time I tried, all my mods were broken and I couldn't get anything to work at all. They need a much better modding and error reporting system. (When a mod breaks, all you get is a generic error message with a bunch of code you can't understand that rarely points back to what mod is causing the error.)

Top Bottom