• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic FM - Best Game Soundtracks 2014 - Dec 13 [TODAY 1700 GMT]

Nzyme32

Classic_FM_logo.png

Archive is available via the "Listen Again" tab under "Saturday Night at the Movies" via ClassicFM player - http://www.classicfm.com/radio/player/

Tracklist (complete)

• World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - A Siege of Worlds by Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Clint Bajakian
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity - Unity by Chris Tilton
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity - Ballroom Fight (Invention in D Minor) by Sarah Schachner
  • The Banner Saga - Little Did They Sleep by Austin Wintory
  • Destiny - The Traveler by Paul McCartney, Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved - Main Theme by Inon Zur
  • Child of Light - Aurora's Theme by Beatrice Martin
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Valley of the Blinding Mist by Mikolai Stroinski
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - Main Theme by Trevor Morris
  • The Elder Scrolls Online - For Blood, For Glory, For Honor by Jeremy Soule
  • Civilization: Beyond Earth - The Seeding by Geoff Knorr
  • Civilization: Beyond Earth - The Signal by Grant Kirkhope
  • The Last of Us - The Last of Us by Gustavo Santaolalla
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War - Dream Within Dreams by Ian Paul Livingstone
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War - Get Aboard by Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Advanced Soldier Overture by Harry Gregson-Williams
  • Minecraft Title Theme by Daniel Rosenfeld [String Quartet Rendition]
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Jeremy's Psalm by Jessica Curry
  • Fantasy Iv: Final Fantasy by Nobuo Uematsu
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

A quick reminder for everyone - this'll be on from 1700 GMT tomorrow. Join in the discussion via the Classic FM twitter feed!

A sneak peek of some scores featured: http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/saturday-night-movies/13-december-2014/

You should be able to listen to the stream of the show here: http://www.classicfm.com/radio/player/

-------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:
Hi all,

So Classic FM have another game special coming on December 13th. It's a show looking at the best game soundtracks of 2014, with a brief look ahead to 2015 as well.

And... we'd love to hear your requests! It doesn't just have to be tied to a game that came out this year, it could also include:

- Remasters/HD releases are fair game, especially if their score has been updated!
- Big events are also good - for example we could play Minecraft, related to the $2bn sale earlier this year.
- Concerts are also good - lots to choose from in that respect.
- Scores finally released commercially also works - Lair and Flower both finally had official releases this year.

So do let us know what you'd like to hear, either via our website (contact Howard Goodall on his page) or post here.

Obviously it's a classical station, so we're unlikely to play something like the Sunset Overdrive soundtrack, but you can post those anyway if you feel like it. It's always good to get an idea of what people really liked of any given year. Also, it has to be officially available, so no game rips or bootleg scores.

Do feel free to create a dedicated thread as well - would be good to get the word out about this forthcoming show and make it one chosen by the fans!

Thanks!

Post your requests and thoughts here! Howard Goodall can also be reached via Classic FM

I'll post links to the stream when it becomes available

MrBadger

It's a real shame that Tropical Freeze's music was never released officially. What are Nintendo playing at?

The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Super Smash Bros 4 all had great scores (even if Smash is more of a best-of of Nintendo's history) and all of them are commercially available.

Something from Warlords of Draenor is a must, stunning tunes in this expansion. Dragon Age and The Last of us Remastered would be nice as well.

TheMoon

Also, it has to be officially available, so no game rips or bootleg scores.

This is where I'm reminded that it's a crime the Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze soundtrack is not available for purchase anywhere.

Nzyme32

I'm certain there are better choices within these as I haven't completed many of them yet, but here are my own 2014 choices:

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - http://youtu.be/jvX7r_OlaOo?t=14m42s // http://youtu.be/jvX7r_OlaOo?t=25m32s

Valiant Hearts - http://youtu.be/aCjWc2zlL-o

Divinity Original Sin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBEr7SFD7k

Valkryia Chronicles - http://youtu.be/yXXcTmgNrMY?t=2m48s

Alien: Isolation was great but I don't believe the soundtrack is available at the moment.
Transistor is one of my favourites of the year but it is probably outside of what could be considered Classical.

Hendrixx

Neo Member
Great choices so far!

Worth mentioning - feel free to write a sentence or so as to why you like a particular soundtrack. We might be able to factor some comments in to the programme.

iNvid02

nice, subbed.

i'll post what i put in the other thread

Thats great to hear. I'd love anything from child of light and valiant hearts the great war, both some of my favourites this year.

edit:
valley of the blinding mist - mikolai stroinski - vanishing of ethan carter
danton's sacrifice - sarah schracner - assassin's creed unity vol 2
the fields of ard skellig - marcin przybyłowicz - the witcher 3 wild hunt
firestorm - john debney - lair

ryseing

Hohokum.

For those of you unfamiliar, it was put together by the indie record label Ghostly, and has some absolutely incredible electronic tracks. Definitely my favorite soundtrack of the year.

Edit- specific songs... Probably Pawn in Their Game. It's the track that has stuck with me.

Hendrixx

Neo Member
Also worth noting the time this will be broadcast - 1700 to 1900 (UK time), listenable on 100 - 102 FM or via the website.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Hohokum.

For those of you unfamiliar, it was put together by the indie record label Ghostly, and has some absolutely incredible electronic tracks. Definitely my favorite soundtrack of the year.

Edit- specific songs... Probably Pawn in Their Game. It's the track that has stuck with me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one absolutely in love with the Hohokum Soundtrack.
I've said it before, but it's so expertly curated for that game, it's incredible.

Uzzy

I'd love it if Valkyria Chronicles got in, this piece especially. I believe that's listed as A Love Passed On on the official soundtrack release. As for why, well, Valkyria Chronicles is about a close knit squad of soldiers in a rather thinly veiled WW2 analogy, and given the various anniversaries of WW1 and WW2 that took place this year, it might be interesting to look at how video game music treats war.

I'd also adore it if anything from Transistor got in. You play as an opera singer, Red, who after being robbed of her voice has to try to stop her world falling apart. The music is beautiful throughout, and you even get a dedicated hum button in game that makes the main character hum along to the game's tracks. I think the track that'd most fit in with Classic FM would be Paper Boats, but that might be a stretch! The soundtrack is officially available too, through the developers website.

Hendrixx

Neo Member
Will still listen to this, but that preview doesn't have me very excited.

Hopefully there'll be a piece or two. I see you're a fan of Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory score - an absolute classic! Could listen to that one on constant repeat. Always wanted to get a copy of the 5.1 mix!

K.Sabot

Hopefully there'll be a piece or two. I see you're a fan of Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory score - an absolute classic! Could listen to that one on constant repeat. Always wanted to get a copy of the 5.1 mix!

I love it, own the CD and it still gets play.

Nzyme32

Gotta bump

Show starts at 1700 GMT and can be streamed by a whole bunch of online radio streamers as well as the ClassicFM site: http://www.classicfm.com/radio/player/

Also, although I would love for Transistor's Soundtrack to be in the show, it probably won't since it isn't entirely classical - that said, it should be applauded that you can now get the sheet music for a bunch of the tunes for free from their website. I absolutely love that they went to that effort for such a fantastic soundtrack and have made it that much easier for people like me to play around.

I'm guessing none of my favourite soundtracks this year fit the Classic FM angle, so I'll just hope some Lords of Shadow 2 sneaks in somewhere, in any case I look forward to hearing what's in this lineup.

Nzyme32

First up -

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - A Siege of Worlds by Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Clint Bajakian

Still going to ask for Far Horizons from Skyrim! They announced this year that the game has sold over 20 million copies, so there's a 2014 link (huge achievement for them). The soundtrack placed fifth in ClassicFM's 2013 Hall of Fame.

Nzyme32

Never properly listened to to WoW soundtracks, but this is pretty great. I should have expected as much really. I really enjoyed Starcraft 2's soundtracks and even Hearthstone's

Hopefully someone can post up a full list of the songs once we're done. Good start.

I'll try and keep track of them and post them in thread and in the OP.

Never properly listened to to WoW soundtracks, but this is pretty great. I should have expected as much really. I really enjoyed Starcraft 2's soundtracks and even Hearthstone's

I'll try and keep track of them and post them in thread and in the OP.
Much appreciated!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So glad to see Draenor represented in this thread. WoW music has always been phenomenal, but Draenor delivers some of the best the franchise has seen.

iNvid02

invincible from wrath of lich king is incredible

edit: yup, thought sarah schacner's volume 2 was much better than tilton's

Nzyme32

So far:

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - A Siege of Worlds by Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Clint Bajakian
Assassin's Creed: Unity - Unity by Chris Tilton
Assassin's Creed: Unity - Ballroom Fight (Invention in D Minor) by Sarah Schachner
The Banner Saga - Little Did They Sleep by Austin Wintory

That Ballroom Fight track was pretty neat, the first Unity theme didn't do much for me so that was a nice recovery.

The very same. Haven't played Assassin's creed since 2. Also this Banner Saga track is pretty good, yet another game I haven't played >.<

Top Bottom