• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classified U.S. documents on Ukraine war spread through ‘Minecraft’ Discord

Draugoth

Gold Member

Discord server for Minecraft has been linked to the spread of classified United States documents that detailed the country’s involvement in the Ukraine war.

The leak in question, described by one senior official as a “massive intelligence breach” (via The New York Times), was made up of Pentagon documents detailing the war in Ukraine.

Leaked intelligence documents include the United States’ assessment of Ukrainian and Russian military forces, along with efforts made by the U.S. to spy on Ukrainian leadership.

The documents also detailed the United States’ infiltration of Russian intelligence and military bodies, and exposed America’s ability to consistently warn Ukraine of Russian plans ahead of time.

On Sunday (April 9), independent investigative body Bellingcat reported that, in March the leaked documents were spread through a Discord server called “Minecraft Earth Map”.

In a screenshot, a “brief spat” between two users regarding Minecraft and the Ukraine war resulted in one user writing “here, have some leaked documents” and posting ten of the leaked documents.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

I can’t imagine stealing documents from the government.

EDMIX

I feel sorry for the young man who was trying to impress his online pals.

I don't.

He knew what he was doing was not only illegal and treasonous, he was literally putting the lives in danger of many men and women in service. Many don't fully understand that this information can be used against agents active in the field, folks who might be undercover or have a operation currently going on etc. Keep in mind, he is told this, they literally explain why they have a clearance and the dangers of leaking shit etc.

Maybe he can impress them with a long prison sentence, give em a personal blog version of that show Locked Up since he wants to fucking show everyone so much shit lol

Teletraan1

Banned
Funny how people can be evil leakers who must go to jail or valiant whistle blowers who must be protected depending on who they exposed. The fact that "journalists" who rely on leaks and have a duty to protect sources are more concerned with the fact that a leak happened than the content of the leak should tell you all you need to know.

speaking only as a Veteran.

Take him out back to firing squad, he committed treason. There is no excuse.

Speaking as a fathers

I feel so bad for this kid. I don’t think he comprehends what he compromised. All to look cool to people you can’t even see face to face. What. The. Fuck is wrong with this generation of kids (under 25)

He will be made an example out of and because of this shitbag the government will be coming to swoop in on gaming.

Top Bottom